**Official UMKC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Anyone else have any news? Since I'm a re-applicant I got a question from the school on Monday...not sure I had the answer they wanted. I think this may be the last week of invites judging by last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi CallMeDoct,

They'll have you sit down in an office and let you make a video recorded statement for the admissions committee at some point in the interview. It will be about a minute long and it's pretty open to what every you want to say, unless they've changed it. There are some good ideas above in this thread over some things you might consider talking about. It is a little nerve wracking, but really not as bad as you think it will be. Just prepare something ahead of time, you'll do ok. Good luck with your interview!

Have you heard anything from UMKC yet??

Not really. I got a question about my application. I guess because I have previously interviewed. So, at least they are looking at me. It's down to the wire here, though. I have a pipe dream that maybe they will consider me for admission because I interviewed last year, but I doubt it. I hope to get an invite in the next 2-3 days.

Any luck on your side? Do you have any other schools looking at you?

This process will grind you down, stay strong!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. I got a question about my application. I guess because I have previously interviewed. So, at least they are looking at me. It's down to the wire here, though. I have a pipe dream that maybe they will consider me for admission because I interviewed last year, but I doubt it. I hope to get an invite in the next 2-3 days.

Any luck on your side? Do you have any other schools looking at you?

This process will grind you down, stay strong!

Nothing yet, but I called another school "asking if they needed anything else" and the lady told me they had everything, and they just hadn't reviewed it yet. So I don't even know if the other schools have gotten around to looking at mine :/

JUST GOT THE INTERVIEW INVITE A FEW SECONDS AGO!!!!

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Sorry I hate when people leave out their stats :)

In state (UMKC)
3.5 oGPA
3.35 sGPA

And I can't find my DAT stats but it was 20 AA with everything clustered around 19-21 except for Organic chemistry at 17
How many hours of shadowing and community service do you have? And CONGRATS!

Last edited:
Thanks!! 150-ish hours of shadowing, and my community service is a little wonky.

I barely do any community service during the regular semester, but every summer for the past 4 years I volunteer at 3-4 camps for a solid week.
So my hours are bad in that they're done through the same organizations and only once a year, but I ended up with almost 800 I think.
800?!! THATS A HUGE AMOUNT wow.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I hate when people leave out their stats :)

In state (UMKC)
3.5 oGPA
3.35 sGPA

And I can't find my DAT stats but it was 20 AA with everything clustered around 19-21 except for Organic chemistry at 17

Hi, when's your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on November 7th?

Interesting, November 7 is not on their calendar, but I thought they had some interviews yet in November.

Does anyone else have a November interview? I don't know how likely it will be for me to get an interview this year, but it would certainly help with my work schedule if I knew when they might be!

Good luck!

Interesting, November 7 is not on their calendar, but I thought they had some interviews yet in November.

Does anyone else have a November interview? I don't know how likely it will be for me to get an interview this year, but it would certainly help with my work schedule if I knew when they might be!

Good luck!
Was this the last week for invites?

Was this the last week for invites?

I don't know. I don't see any evidence for invites much later than this in posts from previous years. Also, I did some looking, it looks like early November is when the interviews end, and we have Monday the 7th above which may be the last interview date. If the 7th is not the last then it will probably be that week.

So, with a 2-3 week lead time before interviews, it might be possible that some invites go out next week but we are getting down to the last few days here.:(

Initial rejections seem to go out the first week in November, although they have come sooner in the past.

I don't know. I don't see any evidence for invites much later than this in posts from previous years. Also, I did some looking, it looks like early November is when the interviews end, and we have Monday the 7th above which may be the last interview date. If the 7th is not the last then it will probably be that week.

So, with a 2-3 week lead time before interviews, it might be possible that some invites go out next week but we are getting down to the last few days here.:(

Initial rejections seem to go out the first week in November, although they have come sooner in the past.
Well...I give up on life. They told me I was a 'strong applicant' before applying but I haven't heard anything from them?! I don't understand this system at all....

Well...I give up on life. They told me I was a 'strong applicant' before applying but I haven't heard anything from them?! I don't understand this system at all....
Don't give up hope. Honestly I thought I had no chance of getting an invite after all this time but this morning I just received one.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't give up hope. Honestly I thought I had no chance of getting an invite after all this time but this morning I just received one.

When's your interview??

Have you heard anything from UMKC??

Have you heard anything from UMKC??

Hi Veovis, I have not. I don't think this is my year. My impression is that they may have wanted me to take more classes to basically stay current or used to school, which I'm surprised about because I'm only two years out of school. It is kind of hard to continually stay in school when you have to work, but I'll figure it out.

So, I will apply again with some more shadowing, new DAT, and a class or two. I didn't work this hard to throw in the towel after all.

I probably should have worked a little harder to get in touch with them this Spring to make sure I had everything I needed, so that is my fault, but then again it's been a pretty distracting year with some important family stuff going on, so maybe next year will work out for me better anyway.

Hi Veovis, I have not. I don't think this is my year. My impression is that they may have wanted me to take more classes to basically stay current or used to school, which I'm surprised about because I'm only two years out of school. It is kind of hard to continually stay in school when you have to work, but I'll figure it out.

So, I will apply again with some more shadowing, new DAT, and a class or two. I didn't work this hard to throw in the towel after all.

I probably should have worked a little harder to get in touch with them this Spring to make sure I had everything I needed, so that is my fault, but then again it's been a pretty distracting year with some important family stuff going on, so maybe next year will work out for me better anyway.

Stay strong! I did not receive an invite either this year but it is what it is. Hopefully next year works out better for the both of us.

I just got my interview invitation on Tuesday. There were only two spots left under the interview dates available. I received the second supplemental application and interview invitation at the same time.
In state
3.75s 3.67o
18 dat
150 shadowing
120 volunteer

Last edited:
I just got my interview invitation on Tuesday. There were only two spots left under the interview dates available. I received the second supplemental application and interview invitation at the same time.
In state
3.75s 3.67o
18 dat
150 shadowing
120 volunteer

When's your interview ??

I just received my rejection email...
I have no idea what to do.
Any advice?

MISSOURI. I shadow at the school of dentistry often. I don't understand this

Follow up with the school as the email suggests. I did this after my first rejection and it resulted in a interview last year....really simple changes were required. I was busy this year and maybe a touch over confident, and did not make it this year. You may have to call/ email a few times, FYI. I think I called twice and emailed at least once over a three week period before I got a call about a week later. Be persistent, not irritating. I called once last year and didn't get around to it again.

Because I'm sure you're a little anxious, get on their website and look up all their criteria. They are very literal about some of the requirements and something as simple as only having done 4 different volunteer activities in 4 years instead of 5 can hold you back, no matter what the # of hours you may have completed in those 4.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. This process isn't easy, but I believe worth it, so keep at it.
I know every time I've visited the school there has been at least one student who had to apply multiple times.

Seriously?? Your stats are way better than mine. Did you shadow at five separate offices?
I have done 3 different offices and approximately 40 hours at UMKC. I spent a whole week in the summer there to shadow dentists. By being there, I have shadowed each specialty. I think it's because I have 2 areas of my DAT below 17 and only 113 hours of volunteering so they rejected me.. now I feel lost haha, but I'm still shadowing and volunteering so hopefully next year!

I have done 3 different offices and approximately 40 hours at UMKC. I spent a whole week in the summer there to shadow dentists. By being there, I have shadowed each specialty. I think it's because I have 2 areas of my DAT below 17 and only 113 hours of volunteering so they rejected me.. now I feel lost haha, but I'm still shadowing and volunteering so hopefully next year!

Just got back from the interview, and they actually require you to shadow at 5 separate offices. So that could be a reason why :/

Just got back from the interview, and they actually require you to shadow at 5 separate offices. So that could be a reason why :/
I think I misunderstood a lot of things, but I'll try again next year. Good luck to you though :)

Hoping to post this ":soexcited:" on December 1st :biglove:

As for now, I'll post this cuz I want the wait to be over::boom:

Anybody here waiting for December 1st with UMKC as your top choice?

Also if anyone wants to feel self-conscious about their extracurriculars...

UMKC Dental School class of 2014 statistics:

Total Students in the class: 107
Missouri Residents: 78
Kansas Residents: 21
New Mexico Residents: 4
Arkansas Residents: 1
Hawaii Residents: 3
Average Shadowing Hours: 350
% worked in an office/lab: 53%
Average Community Service Hours: 300
Average Science GPA: 3.62
Average DAT Academic Average: 18.45
Legacy Students (DDS/DH): 46
They had 0 OOS? :nailbiting: Why 107 and not 109?

Also if anyone wants to feel self-conscious about their extracurriculars...

UMKC Dental School class of 2014 statistics:

Total Students in the class: 107
Missouri Residents: 78
Kansas Residents: 21
New Mexico Residents: 4
Arkansas Residents: 1
Hawaii Residents: 3
Average Shadowing Hours: 350
% worked in an office/lab: 53%
Average Community Service Hours: 300
Average Science GPA: 3.62
Average DAT Academic Average: 18.45
Legacy Students (DDS/DH): 46

They had 0 OOS? :nailbiting: Why 107 and not 109?

I feel better now:

UMKC Dental School class of 2015 stats:
Total Students in class: 106
MO (69), KS (22), NM (4), HI (3), AR (3), CO (1), FL (1), OK (2), and UT (1).
47 females and 59 males
average science GPA: 3.61
DAT academic average: 18.6
OOS: 5 (CO, FL, OK(2), UT)
:rolleyes:

In case you guys wanted the stats for the class of 2020
applications: 959
students in class: 109
Female: 55
Male: 54
Science GPA: 3.69
DAT AA: 19.3