Official University of Chicago class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frostynorthwind

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess someone has to start the thread for next year's class... Anyone out there as excited as I am to be attending Pritzker in fall of 2006? :D I really fell in love with the school and area when I visited and can hardly wait to find an apartment or move up to Chi-town! Any other potential Chicago matriculants out there? I look forward to meeting you guys in the next few months! Best of luck with finishing up school or with whatever else you might be doing in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad.

I am really excited about this acceptance too! UChicago is at the top of my list right now.

I would like to try to talk to some current UChicago students.. who aren't affiliated with the admissions committee.. about student life, happiness, and general stress level. Do you have any idea/feeling about these things? The 1st years I stayed with during my interview visit seemed stressed out by the 1-2 tests they had each week. They said they felt like they never stopped studying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, congrats on the acceptances you guys! :thumbup: To answer your question first, QofQuimica- Pritzker sent me a sheet about "Revisit Days," which I would assume is similar to a second look weekend. Here's what is says:

"...On five separate days throughout the winter and spring, we will host small group "Revisit Days." Each day will include no more than 25 accepted students--we believe that this small group setting will allow you to have the time and attention you need. We will begin each Revisit with a pre-Day dinner with all of the accepted applicants in town as well as several of our current students. If they choose to do so, each revisiting accepted applicant will be hosted by a current Pritzker student overnight. On the Revisit day, you can expect a lot of time with current students, a visit with one of our physician faculty members, time to observe a class, information about financial aid, and an opportunity to explore the neighborhood to look at housing options."

The dates given for the Revisit Days are as follows:
Friday, Feb. 10
Monday, Mar 6
Friday, April 7
Monday, April 17
Monday, May 1

I think the day schedule is 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM with the pre-Dinner occuring the night before at 7:00 PM.

Honestly, I have yet to decide whether I will be attending a "Revisit Day" or not. As much fun as it would be to go back for a few days, I don't know if I could justify the cost for a plane ticket or the time. My schedule next semester looks pretty hectic. Also, considering I've already fallen in love with Pritzker and Chi-town, there would be very little purpose served in doing so except for taking the opportunity to meet some of my future classmates and go apartment hunting. :p

Hope this helps, QofQuimica!

-Frosty

SeattlePostBach said:
I am really excited about this acceptance too! UChicago is at the top of my list right now.

I would like to try to talk to some current UChicago students.. who aren't affiliated with the admissions committee.. about student life, happiness, and general stress level. Do you have any idea/feeling about these things? The 1st years I stayed with during my interview visit seemed stressed out by the 1-2 tests they had each week. They said they felt like they never stopped studying!

Hi, Seattle- come to think of it, I haven't spoken with any MSIII/IVs who aren't a part of the admissions committee, either, except for some students I happened to chat with randomly on the day of my interview. You might contact nosugrefneb here on SDN. I know he's a student at Pritzker, just don't know what year or whether he is affiliated with the adcom. He pm-ed me yesterday but I haven't had the chance to write back to him due to studying for final exams. Almost done, though! (One left tomorrow!) :thumbup:

I, too, have heard consistent remarks that in the 1st year, particularly the fall or winter quarter (can't remember which) students do have multiple exams a week for a stretch of nearly 7 weeks. Perhaps daily anatomy lab and Human Morphology (embryo, histo, and gross anatomy from what I can gather) take up a substantial chunk of students' time, but the the lab and lecture time seem to taper off substantially by spring. The 3 MSIVs and student host I discussed this with agreed that the first few months are the most stressful preclinical months, but they reassured me that nearly everyone is supportive of each other in getting through it. (Correction: I recall studying for the boards being cited as an equally stressful experience. No surprise here, though.)

The camaraderie I saw among Pritzker students was highly unique. My student host showed me websites and e-mails with slides, previous exams, practice materials, outlines, and other materials students had compiled when he was an MSI. Perhaps this is just a beautiful consequence of P/F, but regardless of the cause, I was impressed by the collaboration. :)

Sorry for the rambling post, if anyone knows of some MSIII/IVs who aren't on the adcom, I would be very interested in contacting them as well to get their perspectives.

-Frosty

Hi Frosty,

Thanks, it does help. I haven't received the packet yet because I just got called yesterday. :oops: I ought to go for a revisit NOW, to see if my thin blood can handle those Chicago winters. ;)

Add me to the list.....i'm definitely coming to pritzker next year.....
I am from Chicago, so I am very familiar with the school...
Can't wait to start the pass/fail curriculum....its going to be a blast going to such a school with such a good reputation and also not being so stressed ( I am one of those people who does not let stress get to me, regardless of how intense the semester is, and I can't help but think of how great an education I am going to have in those 4 years). I am probably going to go to a revisit day, unless something comes up......

So, just to clarify.. UChicago doesn't fly us out to revisit? we buy our own ticket?

Hi folks,

CONGRATS on being accepted! We're always excited to have new peeps arriving on campus and becoming part of the family.

Just to clear up a few questions:

1. I'm a current second-year; feel free to email me at [email protected] about ANYTHING. I do help out with interviews, as do a large number of students (maybe 20%?), but I'm not part of the admissions committee.

2. We started doing more organized revisits last year but decided to keep them smaller than most schools' gigantic revisit weekends, as this allows for a more intimate and personalized look at the school. Revisit days are GREAT for seeing Pritzker more informally than you would during an interview day: way more laid back, way more time with OME staff and students, way more time with profs and attending lectures, and a great chance to meet and get to know others who have also been accepted. If you're absolutely 100% set on coming to Pritzker and are worried about extra costs, then I would say save your money and be content with your decision (which, I might add, is a FABULOUS one). If you're still unsure, then I would definitely recommend coming back; revisits, I'm proud to say, typically put people over the edge and sway the decision toward Pritzker.

3. The current first-years had a rough stretch in there a few weeks ago as they were still getting situated as medical students, but no one here by any means study their lives away. It's a great school for being able to be involved with interests outside medicine, and people certainly take advantage of it. During first year, there's typically one exam per week, which is definitely manageable but keeps you on your toes. Anatomy does usually freak people out at first but, again, most people take the first quarter to just adjust to medical student life. The winter and spring quarters are astronomically easier, and second-year has roughly 10 exams total.

4. Travel to and from revisits is NOT paid for, to the best of my knowledge. Everything else - student housing, food, etc. - is compensated.

5. I fricking love Pritzker. I am having the time of my life. You should come.

Peace.
Ben
[email protected]

Thanks Ben. I am super excited about my acceptance. I think as spring comes I am going to have a lot more questions... Right now my the main things I am looking at are cost, location, happiness of students, and chance that i'll actually be able to continue doing research and pursuing outside interests while in school. I would also like to go somewhere that has a fair number of non-trad (older than 25) med students.

SeattlePostBach said:
Thanks Ben. I am super excited about my acceptance. I think as spring comes I am going to have a lot more questions... Right now my the main things I am looking at are cost, location, happiness of students, and chance that i'll actually be able to continue doing research and pursuing outside interests while in school. I would also like to go somewhere that has a fair number of non-trad (older than 25) med students.
U. Chicago is one of my top choices for all of these reasons. I just wish it weren't in Chicago, especially this time of year. :p How do those of you up there avoid freezing to death during the winters??? :scared: Also, do you feel safe on campus? The area looked fine to me when I visted, and I went out and walked around for a couple of hours on my own while I was there. But I read in one of the residents' forums that some people had concerns about crime in the Hyde Park area. I'd be especially interested in thoughts about this from anyone there who is a single woman. One final question: is it fiscally realistic to be able to buy a condo or townhouse in close proximity to campus? (I'd prefer not to have to drive to school every day.) Do most students have cars and drive to school, or is it realistic to walk or take public transportation? Thanks in advance for your help!

The weather is awesome once you get used to it. :) It's no California but it's more interesting this way. It makes the summers SOOOO much nicer too; you cannot beat summers in Chicago.

Hyde Park has perhaps the most inappropriate reputation of any place I've ever been. In the 70s and 80s, it would have been appropriate; basically, if you valued your life, you either did not step foot off campus or did not go outside period. These days, Hyde Park is actually pretty nice. The crime rate really is comparable to the rest of the city in the first place, and one needs only use a normal common sense about things just as you would in any big city. I personally have never once felt threatened or scared being in Hyde Park, and none of my female friends have either for that matter. The police department for the university isn't one of those fake college police departments; they have a gigantic patrolling area and are an extension of the Chicago Police Department proper. As expected, there are the typical precautions on campus too like the emergency call boxes, well-lit sidewalks, etc. There are a few newer restaurants moving down to the south side too, and it almost feels like a secluded suburb with its own little culture to it, yet downtown is minutes away.

ALL of that said, I don't think I could live there, mostly because I like to physically get away from school. I live near the loop, and it most certainly is possible to own in the loop, on the north side, or in Hyde Park, and many here do. There are a lot of new condo developments in the area, and most living there can walk or take busses. Email me if you want more advice on it.

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
Q, I looked up real estate, and it seems like there definitely are affordable condos in the hyde park area. But rent is also really affordable.

I heard most students like to have a car to get to reasonable grocery stores, etc. The El doesn't service UChicago.

Also, i had a good friend who did undergrad at UChicago and he got mugged at knife point one time. :( But, the weekend i was in Houston a Baylor student got mugged there too... So it really could happen anywhere. ? Still doesn't make it inviting-sounding.

Lastly, the winter isn't that bad! Come on. playing in snow will be fun. you will learn to love it, i promise :D And i hope i'm the first to nail you with a nice soft/slushy snow ball

SeattlePostBach said:
Q, I looked up real estate, and it seems like there definitely are affordable condos in the hyde park area. But rent is also really affordable.

I heard most students like to have a car to get to reasonable grocery stores, etc. The El doesn't service UChicago.

Also, i had a good friend who did undergrad at UChicago and he got mugged at knife point one time. :( But, the weekend i was in Houston a Baylor student got mugged there too... So it really could happen anywhere. ? Still doesn't make it inviting-sounding.

Lastly, the winter isn't that bad! Come on. playing in snow will be fun. you will learn to love it, i promise :D And i hope i'm the first to nail you with a nice soft/slushy snow ball

I've been doing some investigating also. I think you are right that being mugged could happen anywhere, and no matter where you go you need to be aware of your surroundings. Both Chicago and Houston are large cities with plenty of poverty and pain to go round. :(

Are you decided on U Chicago then? Are you going to attend one of the second look weekends? If you are, maybe we can go together. :)

P.S. You do know that this means war, don't you??? :smuggrin:

Count me in, I am still waiting on a few other top choices but am going to the March revisit and am so excited! Q, I share your fear of the winter. Honestly, I think if Pritzker were somewhere warmer it would be my top choice. isn't that sad? i just live most of my life being freezing and it is so difficult.

TracksuitsRock said:
Count me in, I am still waiting on a few other top choices but am going to the March revisit and am so excited! Q, I share your fear of the winter. Honestly, I think if Pritzker were somewhere warmer it would be my top choice. isn't that sad? i just live most of my life being freezing and it is so difficult.
Well, it's even practical things, not just my own wimpiness. Like, I have no gloves, scarves, hats, etc. I don't know how to drive in snow. It's not that I can't buy appropriate clothing and learn to drive in the snow, but these issues wouldn't even come up if I went to school here in the South. :p That being said, I wouldn't not attend Chicago over it, because the school itself is really awesome. I'm not sure which second look weekend I'm going to attend, but I'm thinking one of the later ones in April or May.

Hello,

I think people should know what they are getting into.

I would review the following sites
http://maroon.uchicago.edu/news/articles/2005/09/30/spate_of_shootings_s.php
https://listhost.uchicago.edu/mailman/listinfo/safety-awareness
http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/05/051115.fires.shtml
http://commonsense.uchicago.edu/crime-info.html

First semester is very very hard. You will study 24/7 and easily 40% of the class will fail exams. These will be retaken over break or the summer. You will not have time for sleep, cleaning, or whatever you might like to do.

I suggest reading and studying like wild this summer. Also ask some first year for class notes and exams. Take a physiology and biochemistry class ASAP. Both of these classes use old exams.

Best of luck,
A Professor

-------------
Get a map to figure out where these are (and don't live there)

[holiday spirit is back]
Four car jackings occurred on Monday, December 12, within Hyde Park-South Kenwood. In each instance, two men appeared suddenly to a lone victim, displayed a handgun, demanded the victim's valuables, and ended up taking the victim's car as well. The victims were not harmed. At this time, descriptions of the assailants are insufficient to provide details. It is likely that in at least two of these incidents, the same offenders were responsible.

[seems the offender is an officer at the hospital, though seems this is being kept quiet ... drugs?]
At 2:51 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 3, in an alley near Kimbark Avenue between 57th and 58th Streets, three women were walking when they were confronted by a woman who began hitting one woman of the group in the head with a black object. The offender continued to strike this woman even after she fell to the ground. She also struck the other two women when they came to the aid of the first. The offender grabbed the purse of the first victim, and fled to a nearby car. Police were called quickly with information about the offender and her car. Within a short time the offender was stopped by police, detained, identified and arrested. The victims were taken to the hospital. The first victim was admitted for treatment and later released, and the other two were treated and released.

[yay!]
Police have now arrested a total of three individuals in the pattern of sixteen armed robberies which was the subject of Safety Awareness Alerts on September 28, October 21, and October 28. As a result, charges have been filed in many of these incidents. No additional incidents that fit this pattern have occurred since October 29.

Police have announced the arrests of two related suspects in the pattern of sixteen armed robberies which has been the subject of Safety Awareness Alerts on September 28, October 21, and October 28. Charges have now been filed in many of these incidents, although other suspects are still being sought. This series of crimes began on September 12 and continued through October 29. There have been no additional incidents in this pattern since October 29.

At 8:43 p.m., Saturday, October 29, near 58th Street and Woodlawn Avenue, a man was approached from behind by a man who placed a gun to the victims head and demanded and took his valuables. The offender then struck the victim in the head with the butt of the gun when the victim asked for the return of his identification cards. The offender then fled. The victim was not hospitalized. Police believe that this attack may be related to the series of armed robberies previously reported this fall. Police patrols have been increased as a result.

Police report two more armed robberies, these on Thursday evening, October 27, that are part of the pattern of armed robberies which has been the subject of two recent Safety Awareness Alerts. The same man is likely involved in this pattern. Unfortunately, the victims' descriptions of him are not distinctive enough to help others trying to distinguish the offender from pedestrians in the area.

At 7:25 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 27, on Kimbark Avenue between 55th and 56th Streets, a woman was walking when a man came up from behind and grabbed her. He put a gun to her head, took her bag and IPod, and fled.

At 8:05 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 27, on Greenwood Avenue between 57th and 58th Streets (Hutchinson Quad area), a woman and a man who were walking together were confronted by an armed man. He put a gun to the woman's head, demanded and took her purse, and fled.

At 4:40 p.m., Monday, Oct. 17, on Kenwood Avenue between Hyde Park Blvd. and 52nd Street, a woman was confronted as she was entering her apartment by an armed man who forced her into the apartment and sexually assaulted her. The woman fought her assailant, injuring him, and her shouts as the assailant fled were heard by others. One of those chased, captured and held the offender for police.

At 7:11 p.m., Wednesday, October 5, on Cottage Grove Avenue between 61st and 62nd Streets, a man talking with companions was wounded by one of several gun shots fired by unknown assailants.

At 10:20 p.m., Wednesday, October 5, near 63rd and Greenwood, a man sitting at a bus stop was wounded by one of several gun shots fired by an unknown man driving a gray Chevy Caprice. He was later treated and released from the hospital.

Between 9 p.m. and approximately 11:00 p.m. on six occasions between Monday, September 12, and Monday, September 26, in an area bounded by Hyde Park Blvd. (51st Street) on the north, 57th Street on the south, Drexel Avenue on the west, and Harper Avenue on the east, a man armed with a handgun has confronted and taken property from individuals or couples as they walked. Police believe that it is likely that the same offender is involved in all these incidents, and are investigating.

On Monday, September 12, at 10:40 p.m. on East 56th Street between Woodlawn and Kimbark Avenues, and at 11:05 p.m., and 11:08 p.m. on Kenwood Avenue between Hyde Park Blvd. and 52nd Street, men were confronted individually, or as a pair in the second incident, by another man who displayed a large blue steel handgun and demanded their valuables. In the latter two incidents, it is known that the same offender was involved, and police believe it likely that this offender also was involved in the first incident. No one was hurt in these encounters, but cash, ID and credit cards were taken in the latter two incidents. Police are investigating.

At 10:30 a.m., Friday, September 9, on Dorchester Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets, a woman was forced at knife point into a 1993 dark colored Chevrolet and taken to a nearby parking lot where she was sexually assaulted in the car by a man. She was able to flee from the car and alert a passerby. She was treated and released from a hospital. Police are investigating.

Go to Boston. Go to Houston. Go to LA. Go to New York. Go to SF. Go to St. Louis.

Go to...the other side of Chicago.

It's a big city. Stuff like this happens everywhere. At least the school makes some effort to make people aware of it.

As for the academic comments, it's true: A whole lot of people will fail an exam over the course of the first two years. For most of those, it's the first anatomy exam when they're still learning how to learn anatomy. To say that people study 24/7 is simply not true. People study; then they go enjoy themselves. I will say that some of the exams here can be intense and quite detailed. That's probably the reason that Pritzker has a reputation for having outstanding basic science education. It's also probably part of the reason that Pritzker folks don't kill the boards; sometimes we learn too much of the little stuff to focus on the big stuff. But, if you're interested in research or becoming an expert in something, being a student here is a great start.

Also, we have quarters here, not semesters, professor. I suggest sitting on your ass all summer and having as much fun as possible. That's what everyone here did and we've all turned out fine.

Ben

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents (I'm a 2nd year @ Pritzker, went to UChicago for undergrad, and took a couple years off before heading off to Pritzker)...

1) Academics -
Study time - It is up to you as to how much time you want to spend on academics. I would say that 1st quarter is tough but so was the first quarter of college or the first couple weeks of my new job. The aim is for students to get a sense of their own study habits to see what works and what doesn't. As medical school student, everyone is quite bright. The main thing now is to retool those study habits to effectively learn a lot of material in a short time.

Failing Exams - Yup it happens to essentially everyone. But if you don't fall, how do you learn how to get back up? :) Okay, that is cheesy. Anyways, it happens, no big deal. You are able to retake the exams / courses. The professors are on your side as are the administrators. If you fail, they want to see you get up and try again. I sit on our curriculum committee and they really do care about how students are performing and how they can alter their teaching to aid students.

Old notes etc... - We have a web sever that houses notes from peers and TAs from the late 90s. My recollection of the 1st year was that if you paid attention to the lecture, his/her notes, read the book (okay, the last one is a stretch but some people do it), you will do fine. Many would do the first 2 and then skip to looking at old notes etc... which is fine as well. You have to read critically and not just skim the materials. These are lessons one sometimes learns the hard way and like I mentioned above, it is okay.

2) Life
Sleep - Again, it depends on you. I would say that I had plenty (6-8 hrs/night. yes, nights before certain exams or when going out, I didn't sleep as much as I would have liked).

Summer - Like Ben, I would say to enjoy it. You will have breaks during medical school but for me personally I wanted to go into medical school focused. For me, I finished up in a lab in early July. I moved to Chicago. I headed to Sydney, London and New York for 6 weeks. I came back after Labor Day and chilled in Chicago. I did open a biochem text for a couple days (there was a biochem placement exam and I needed to refresh my memory), took the placement exam, and "enjoyed" Orientation week (there was a lot of stuff that happened during that time so I would say that you should rest up a bit before that.

3) Safety -
Great set of links by AProfessor. We, like many of our peers, are in a big city and big cities have crime. As a result, being aware of your surroundings is crucial (e.g. increasing incidents all over the country with iPod thefts and white earphones = be cognizant of your surroundings as you use your iPod or switch to black earphones). Anyways, the Common Sense link is a good link to start with IMHO.

Cheers!

Just wanted to add a bit of info -

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - 4 exams
Cell & Organ Physiology Exam I - 3 exams
Clinical Skills 1A: Communication in the Fall - 2 quizzes and a final
Human Morphology I - 5 exams

The # of exams is a lot. Yup. But these are 1) not cumulative 2) reasonable. For human morph - each exam is tailored to test your knowledge in a particular region (2 focus on histology of the cells/organs and 3 are on anatomy of the abdomen, thorax, and pelvic region).

For clinical skills - the aims of the quizzes and final are to get you to start interacting with patients and learning how to draw out information from them in an empathetic manner (the efficiency is developed later on). I found these exams to be very reasonable as it was just being graded on what you had been doing over and over for the past couple of weeks.

In anycase, you will have to spend time studying. You are going to medical school to get an education and at Pritzker that means that you have class from 8:30-10:30 & 1:30-5/6pm MWF and then 8:30-noon & 1:30-5/6pm TTh. At the same time, there is time to volunteer at the clinics, rehearse in acappella, go work out at the gym, do research. It really is up to each individual to figure out how to shape their medical education.

I do want to note that for anatomy labs (from 2:30-5pm) some people finished in 1 hour others finished more around 5/6. Again, it really depends on how you learn and how you interact with your group.

If there are questions etc..., don't hesitate to PM me.

all these posts are freaking me out! I'm not worried about violence, I know there's a bit of that everywhere. I do want to be a happy med student though... and be able to have an outside life! If I'm in class from 8:30-5/6, then have 1-2 exams/week looming over me that a lot of people fail.. it seems like all of my "free time" will be spent studying, eating, trying to fit in a minimal amount of exercise and sleeping... and hopefully not being totally stressed out.

Is there a reason the curriculum is the way that it is? Do students have input? Does the administration listen to suggestions/complaints about the classes and how useful the information is or how it could be presented more effectively? Are they responsive to suggestions?

Sorry about that! Didn't mean to add stress.

The curriculum is laid out to do the following... you learn the fundamentals for the 1.25 yrs. These are taught separately (biochem, anatomy, physio) so you can master the knowledge within that area. Then you take a course called Clinical Pathophysiology & Theraputics where you integrate your knowledge from the past. As you enter your clinical years, you continue to integrate this knowledge etc... and start applying it to treat and diagnose patients.

As for your questions:
Do students have input? Yes. I sit on our Curriculum Review Committee and we definitely have input into how to improve courses etc...

Does the administration listen to suggestions/complaints about the classes and how useful the information is or how it could be presented more effectively? Yes. It is more the professors than the administration since the professors are the ones who teach the material.

Are they responsive to suggestions? Yes. Some things are a quick fix and can be changed instantly while others are longer term but if things are reasonable, the professors will definitely try to incorporate the changes.

The description I gave was your first quarter at Pritzker, you get more and more free afternoons as you go into Winter and Spring quarter.

You can have an outside life. I remember that my friends and I would go out pretty regularly (1-2x a week excluding weekends) and it didn't interfere with the studying. I was able to hit the gym, participate in a couple of school activities, get involved with research (this was in lieu of biochem) and had 7-8 hrs of sleep a night.

As for failures, I don't mean to imply that a majority of students fail the exams. I think it is just important to know that at Pritzker, in case you fail an exam, it isn't the end of the world. Everyone (administration and professors) wants to see you succeed and will do what they can to help you reach the goal of the MD.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Are there any 4th years around? I have some questions about the clinical years....

Who's revisiting on March 5th? I'm still undecided, but think it'd be fun to "know" a few people ahead of time...

Ba-dum-bump.

I'm really excited about being accepted to Pritzker!!

A few questions for anyone who might care to answer...

How soon after your acceptance did you receive a "financial aid packet" (not package) from the school? I've already submitted FAFSA and put Pritzker on there, but I'm sure there are other forms to fill out (and at the very least, they'll need a copy of my tax return) and I'd like to get it all in ASAP so that I can find out about aid ASAP so that I can figure out if I can actually afford to go to this school!

How is the university housing? Are the prices a good deal relative to market rents in the area? Do many med students live in university housing? Is there parking available?

Any other SDNers going to do one of the last two revisit dates?

I think I will be going 3/6.

Anyone else heading to Chicago 3/5-3/6???

Does anyone know how generous University of Chicago is with their grant money?

Overlap12 said:
Does anyone know how generous University of Chicago is with their grant money? I have an EFC of 0 and my parent's AGI is like 55k.

I would be interested in hearing any comments on this as well.

Anyone else going to the May 1st revisit day?

For the current Uchicago students out there, I was just wondering how stressed out is it to have 1 exam a week and how stressful is the atmosphere in general? I have been hearing things like even though the school is p/f it is very stressful due to the curriculum style. In general how happy are the you all compared to friends at other institutions that you know of? (Please name the other schools if possible also)

In addition, it seems that you have to memorize and take tests on very minute details that may not be important in the long run and could be at the expense of getting the big picture for the boards. Do you feel this is a drawback and would you have preferred a possibly more organ/systems based approach? Is there a particular type of curriculum you have learned about from friends at other schools that you might prefer in retrospect?

I'd highly appreciate feedback on what Uchicago is really like because even though I am leaning towards it I have gotten somewhat scared by the style of teaching and overall happiness of students.

I'm a second year here and I personally thought that first year wasn't too bad. We did have a lot more exams than most people are used to in college, but I preferred that to having only a few giant exams that cover a lot more material. I think that it's not very stressful here at all for a few reasons:

1. If it's your style, and this goes for any P/F curriculum really, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PASS. This=innate low stress.
2. Again, there may be a lot of exams, but the amount of material on each exam as a result is limited, and you mostly get used to it after the first few weeks.
3. P=MD
4. If you don't pass, it's not the end of the world. As I've said before elsewhere in previous threads, people fail. I wouldn't say it's common, but a good deal of people fail at least one exam during the first two years. No one cares. You just study harder, learn what you didn't previously, and retake it. If you fail again, retake it a second time. If you fail it again, retake it a third time. Etc. (Yes, this has happened before.)

I don't want to harp on the exams themselves, but on the whole they're really nothing to be worried about, and if you're concerned about the number of exams, there are far fewer in the second year so it all evens out.

I will admit that some people find first year to be difficult, and I can't say whether that's part of the adjustment to medical school itself, adjustment to the material, learning how you actually learn, the quarter system (if you went to a semester-based undergrad), etc. The bottom line is that everyone here - students, faculty, and staff included - are all extremely supportive of one another and do everything possible to make becoming a doctor as UNstressful as possible.

Regarding the actual material on the exams: Unfortunately the boards aren't really "big-picture" type questions. This is a huge research institution, and we have the privilege of having lecturers that are world-class experts in their given fields and teach us the ins and outs of disease. The details may seem minute now, but they are definitely not inconsequential or unnecessary. If you want to learn board material, you should go to a school that teaches to the boards. If you want to learn how to become a knowledgeable clinician and skillful researcher, you should go to a school that goes beyond the level of the boards. I should advise that it's a little early for all of you to be worrying about boards. I'm taking them in a little under 3 months and they're the least of my worries at this point, personally.

Overall I think most people would agree that this is a school with a low degree of stress. Some might argue that, but they are in the minority.

Ben
[email protected]

I am a student here at Pritzker and I agree. The exams you are referring to take place during the 1st quarter of 1st year since it is front loaded as we start a month later than most schools. Once you are done with this quarter, which is 10 weeks of your life, you are home free with much less exams for the rest of your 1 and 2/3 years of basic science. The stress is only there if you want it there. Pass Fail is the best system ever created. I cant even imagine how horrible it would be with grades. The class is much more cohesive and you learn for the right reasons as opposed to trying to memorize every little detail in someone's lecture notes.

Thanks for your replies. They have actually allayed any worries i previously had. I have been reading more about Uchicago and am starting to love it more and more. Anyone else going to 2nd look on May 1??

tennisnr said:
Thanks for your replies. They have actually allayed any worries i previously had. I have been reading more about Uchicago and am starting to love it more and more. Anyone else going to 2nd look on May 1??
MollyMalone and I are signed up for it too. :)

QofQuimica said:
MollyMalone and I are signed up for it too. :)
Hmmm... I may want to go on the same weekend as you two...

Has anyone gotten the preliminary financial aid award yet? (of people who have already sent in the application)

hi all,
i'm a first-year here at pritzker. i love the school and have never once doubted that i made the right choice in coming here. feel free to pm me with any questions and i'd be happy to respond - advice on the school, apartments or whatever.

a couple comments on topics already raised:
1. studying/exams: as has been mentioned, during first quarter of first year exams happen frequently. people in my class reacted differently to this. some people were stressed a lot, others not so much. i didn't stress too much and never felt overwhelmed. i just thought of it as - they're letting you get a chance to figure out what the pace of med school is. none of the exams cover cummulative material (not even "finals" - they're just regular tests) - so after two or three weeks of material you are tested on it, and then you can lay that material aside and move on to the next stuff. once you're into second quarter you know what the pace is, so they can give you things in larger chunks and you won't fall behind. i did fail one test (my first anatomy practical), which was not a big deal in any way at all - it was just a learning bump to figure out how to study for practicals in the future. besides that i've never had any problems with exams.

2. the neighborhood: i feel safe here and think hyde park is really cool. but - it's a city. just don't be dumb. i'm not sure what that early poster's agenda was. and if you need to be near more nightlife, just move north after a year or two like a lot of people do. i think i'll stay in hyde park all four years. i love the university feeling of it.

so - i can't recommend this place highly enough! the resources are amazing - what makes it special is just the very cool people they bring in to put together a class. the camaraderie that some of you mentioned truly exists all through the first year as i've experienced it so far.

again - feel free to pm me with any questions. and i'm looking forward to meeting some of you during orientation week in septmber!

anyone got their award package yet?

I got my financial aid packet last year in early May (accepted in January.)

hi
is anyone going to revisit day this week?

elion said:
hi
is anyone going to revisit day this week?

Yep, I'll be there on Friday.

DC girl said:
Yep, I'll be there on Friday.

Cool... Did you receive any additional information about what's going to be happening on Thursday/Friday? I don't know if they just never sent anything to us or if I just never received anything.