*Official University of Iowa Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread*

Where should I go to eat?? Lol

Members don't see this ad.

Where should I go to eat?? Lol
Stella's or Shorts (same owner, different location) has the best burgers and Airliner has the best pizza. Pick your poison.

There's also a place in Coralville called 30 Hop that has excellent food, but a bit more expensive than the other two.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interview day and it went great! Pretty nice school with a good amount of updates technology. Seems like a nice place too, Iowa city, I mean.

It's a 20 minute interview, 2 on 1 style with a lot of character and handling criticism/adversity questions. Just be yourself, smile and don't worry if you have to take a second to think of what you want to say. They also let you open it up at the end and say anything you want

It's a 20 minute interview, 2 on 1 style with a lot of character and handling criticism/adversity questions. Just be yourself, smile and don't worry if you have to take a second to think of what you want to say. They also let you open it up at the end and say anything you want
Where did you end up eating? (I ask the hard hitting questions)

Has Iowa sent out rejections or just deferrals?

Where did you end up eating? (I ask the hard hitting questions)
I ate at Blackstone and bo James. Both were burger bar kinda places. I feel like anywhere down there would be good, but man ppl there also recommended the ones mentioned above

I ate at Blackstone and bo James. Both were burger bar kinda places. I feel like anywhere down there would be good, but man ppl there also recommended the ones mentioned above
I love Bo James, but Stella's is by far better.

Other than the food, I hope you liked Iowa! It's been great to me so far

I love Bo James, but Stella's is by far better.

Other than the food, I hope you liked Iowa! It's been great to me so far
Yeah I liked it! Nice facility and everyone seemed nice and I really liked the campus too.

Yeah I liked it! Nice facility and everyone seemed nice and I really liked the campus too.
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions! I'm pretty open about answering honestly even if it's not in a positive light on my school.

Just had my interview yesterday and I absolutely loved it. The interview consisted of structured questions that they ask everyone, which focus on ethics/why dentistry/character and then 10 minutes worth of questions that are more laid-back and enjoyable to answer. The facility has been recently renovated and some of the clinics are less than 5 months old! They have an extremely genuine faculty staff and every single one of the dental students look like they are having the time of their lives. I was blown away by the ambience of this school and I hope to hear back from them come December!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had my interview yesterday and I absolutely loved it. The interview consisted of structured questions that they ask everyone, which focus on ethics/why dentistry/character and then 10 minutes worth of questions that are more laid-back and enjoyable to answer. The facility has been recently renovated and some of the clinics are less than 5 months old! They have an extremely genuine faculty staff and every single one of the dental students look like they are having the time of their lives. I was blown away by the ambience of this school and I hope to hear back from them come December!
I wonder if we got a chance to speak yesterday!! I was 1 of 2 people from CA in the group.

You guys are going to love the interview experience - good vibes all around from the faculty and students.

They have 1-hour scheduled tours, and since the actual tour only takes about 30 minutes, we had another 30 to talk to the dental student. Our D3 student was extremely helpful and upfront. They genuinely seem to love the school and enjoy the curriculum.

I went in worried about the structured portion of the interview and have read that the faculty appear fairly stern, but that wasn't the case at all. While they couldn't give you any input during this section, they constantly smiled and it was very comforting. The questions are back-to-back, so you don't even have time to feel nervous.

Definitely check out the interview feedback, even some of the older questions from pre-2010 popped up. That will adequately prepare you. It seemed like each of the faculty had a list of standard questions, and each randomly chose 6-7 questions from the sheet for the structured portion. They are marking their sheets as you answer (rating maybe?), so don't let that distract you.

*fingers crossed* absolutely loved the school!

I wonder if we got a chance to speak yesterday!! I was 1 of 2 people from CA in the group.

You guys are going to love the interview experience - good vibes all around from the faculty and students.

They have 1-hour scheduled tours, and since the actual tour only takes about 30 minutes, we had another 30 to talk to the dental student. Our D3 student was extremely helpful and upfront. They genuinely seem to love the school and enjoy the curriculum.

I went in worried about the structured portion of the interview and have read that the faculty appear fairly stern, but that wasn't the case at all. While they couldn't give you any input during this section, they constantly smiled and it was very comforting. The questions are back-to-back, so you don't even have time to feel nervous.

Definitely check out the interview feedback, even some of the older questions from pre-2010 popped up. That will adequately prepare you. It seemed like each of the faculty had a list of standard questions, and each randomly chose 6-7 questions from the sheet for the structured portion. They are marking their sheets as you answer (rating maybe?), so don't let that distract you.

*fingers crossed* absolutely loved the school!

We definitely did talk yesterday:) I can tell by your username, I was one of the first that arrived and spoke with you at the couches! Good luck with the rest of your interview journey!

Anyone else have their AADSAS status change to check back on Dec 1st?

Anyone else have their AADSAS status change to check back on Dec 1st?
Yes mine says that also. I assume it just means they have probably finished all their interviews and made their decisions which will be released on Dec. 1st.

Oh god, as if I need more anxiety.
So generally, a check back to December status is an acceptance but not having it changed is a rejection/ wait list?
For all schools?

So generally, a check back to December status is an acceptance but not having it changed is a rejection/ wait list?
For all schools?
I wouldn't say that...

For all schools?
I doubt it- perhaps they just haven't gotten to everyone! I'm sure with/without that little update, people will get an acceptance :)

I doubt it- perhaps they just haven't gotten to everyone! I'm sure with/without that little update, people will get an acceptance :)
Ok, I'm just freaking myself out but I was in the second or first group to interview.

I was going to ask if people's last names were at the beginning/middle/end of the alphabet for the status changes. They might just be working through everyone that way as well. Still messes with your head. :)

Not to freak anyone else but I read last year's thread and everyone who posted that their status was changed to check back Dec 1 got in on Dec 1

Anyone on the defer list get a status change? Or is that essentially a rejection pile at Iowa?

When I check on aadsas mobile it says decision: offer made

Haha yeah so i don't know if that offer is for acceptance or for a rejection?! Exciting none the less.

Did anyone who got the status update have their interview after 9/18?

I interviewed 10/21 (OOS) and haven't had any changes in status from "Invited for Interview"

These posts have me on the edge of my seat. *fingers crossed:*

Does "offer made" usually = acceptance?

From the last couple years' threads, usually the status change means an acceptance was given. I forget, does AADSAS update just once a day overnight?

From the last couple years' threads, usually the status change means an acceptance was given. I forget, does AADSAS update just once a day overnight?
You all got me freaked out now...

I'm jelly @ you guys getting status updates...I also have this theory that, when the schools make a pre-December decision in AADSAS, there is a timegate on the desktop portal that makes the decision read "check back Dec 1st" but on mobile (since they probably lack proper dev support) there is a bug that prevents this placeholder from showing. Therefore, you see "offer made" instead of "check back..."

Reactions: 3 users
I'm jelly @ you guys getting status updates...I also have this theory that, when the schools make a pre-December decision in AADSAS, there is a timegate on the desktop portal that makes the decision read "check back Dec 1st" but on mobile (since they probably lack proper dev support) there is a bug that prevents this placeholder from showing. Therefore, you see "offer made" instead of "check back..."
yeah thats probably correct!! ill take it though! lol. All the people that got "Offer made" from the last two years threads got acceptances :)
But I also heard that they do a lot of out of staters first, so keep your hopes up!

Anyone ever tried setting the system clock/bios on their computer to after 12/1/15 to see if that opens it? ;) Looks like I'll be hounding the mobile version of AADSAS from now on.... Fingers crossed!

Are we expecting this status update trick to work in waves or all at once?

Looking at the 2019 thread, it seems that they had two (documented) status changes. The first was last year on 11/21/14 and the second was 11/25/14. So there is hope that there will be at least one more wave of status changes before Dec. 1. Hope this helps

Wow I should've applied to Iowa lol. Congrats to people who have offer made already.

Has anybody who interviewed in November noticed a change in their status?