*Official University of Iowa Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread*

Accepted!! Oos and I had the offer made/check back status glitch from earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats everyone!!! Hope they don't keep the rest of us waiting too long!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted OOS (CA)

Email received 11/30/15 10:01 PM (pacific time)

Interview: 10/21/15
Status ~2 weeks before 12/1: "Check back on Dec 1..."
Status 12/1: "Offer made"

AADSAS mobile glitch 1.5 weeks before 12/1 "offer made" then changed to "check back" a few days later

Congratulations and good luck guys! Looking forward to meeting everyone next year.

Looking back at previous Iowa Dental Threads, those who received the check back Dec 1st will hear on Dec 1st. They usually only fill 1/3 of the class on this date. If you haven't had a status change it could just mean you are part of the 2/3 who will be accepted most likely throughout the rest of December.

Do you know what days they accept their next 2/3?

Also, do you know how it works in terms of getting put back in to the applicant pool even though I am out of state? Because they said they accept their out of state first. Will I get re-evaluated?

Thanks.

Do you know what days they accept their next 2/3?

Also, do you know how it works in terms of getting put back in to the applicant pool even though I am out of state? Because they said they accept their out of state first. Will I get re-evaluated?

Thanks.
I am not exactly sure when the next batch get sent out, last year on Dec 16th they sent out quite a few more acceptances, both IS and OOS. I know some IS went all the way into February. At the same time, when they release who gets put on the waiting list, OOS moves much quicker then IS. Sorry that probably wasn't much help!!

I am not exactly sure when the next batch get sent out, last year on Dec 16th they sent out quite a few more acceptances, both IS and OOS. I know some IS went all the way into February. At the same time, when they release who gets put on the waiting list, OOS moves much quicker then IS. Sorry that probably wasn't much help!!

What do you mean out of state moves much quicker?

What do you mean out of state moves much quicker?
There is less competition for the in state students because few people reject the offer if they are in state (it's a good school, and often a cheaper option than an alternative). From previous threads the OOS waiting list goes through more candidates then the IS. Last year, only three IS rejected the acceptance offer to go to another school, while I am unsure on the OOS number, I know it was more, just from past threads though...

There is less competition for the in state students because few people reject the offer if they are in state (it's a good school, and often a cheaper option than an alternative). From previous threads the OOS waiting list goes through more candidates then the IS. Last year, only three IS rejected the acceptance offer to go to another school, while I am unsure on the OOS number, I know it was more, just from past threads though...

So then you mean there is less competition for out of state...

So then you mean there is less competition for out of state...
Less competition for IS because more open spots for them and fewer students will turn down an IS offer. OOS is much more competitive but also more likely to get other options and choose them, hence the OOS waitlist moves faster then the IS! Sorry if I am confusing!!

Less competition for IS because more open spots for them and fewer students will turn down an IS offer. OOS is much more competitive but also more likely to get other options and choose them, hence the OOS waitlist moves faster then the IS! Sorry if I am confusing!!

It's ok. Thanks for your input.

I would say IS is more competitive once acceptances are handed out. Once waitlists are created the IS in more competitive than the OOS. OOS as a whole is more competitive though. I think they get around 700-800 OOS applications for like 20ish spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when Iowa notifies acceptees about merit based scholarships?

**Update - Just got off the phone with Rachel and she said decisions are currently being made and notifications will be sent by email and snail mail within this next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

**Update - Just got off the phone with Rachel and she said decisions are currently being made and notifications will be sent by email and snail mail within this next week.
Is this decisions on the scholarships? Or acceptances?

Is this decisions on the scholarships? Or acceptances?
Just scholarships. She's extremely helpful and I'm sure she'd be willing to share information about the acceptance process going forward if you contacted her!

Just got an email about a scholarship so they're going out now!

Do you mind me asking how much the scholarship is? I am OOS too and if I am lucky enough to receive one like you, this could be a huge deciding factor for me!

Do you mind me asking how much the scholarship is? I am OOS too and if I am lucky enough to receive one like you, this could be a huge deciding factor for me!

Sure, no problem. The scholarship is for 15k per year for all 4 years

Sure, no problem. The scholarship is for 15k per year for all 4 years

Wow, how awesome! Congratulations:) Did you put down your deposit yet? Do they consider you for scholarships after you put the deposit down or does it not matter?

Wow, how awesome! Congratulations:) Did you put down your deposit yet? Do they consider you for scholarships after you put the deposit down or does it not matter?

I'm still in the process of deciding what school I'm going to attend, so I haven't put down a deposit

It has been pretty quiet since December 1st...has anyone been wait listed or had any portal updates???

It has been pretty quiet since December 1st...has anyone been wait listed or had any portal updates???

Mine still says "invited for interview". I guess that isn't good or bad...hoping to hear some good news maybe next week? Seemed like last year there was a second round of acceptances around mid-December (16th).

Just got the email guys!!!!! ACCEPTED!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Any news recently from anybody?? Seems there were quite a few acceptances around this time in the past.

Any news recently from anybody?? Seems there were quite a few acceptances around this time in the past.

Was wondering the same thing. Mine still shows "accepted for interview", I'm thinking I'm destined for the waitlist.

Was wondering the same thing. Mine still shows "accepted for interview", I'm thinking I'm destined for the waitlist.
Don't give up hope yet! They'll still accept all the way through February.

Has anyone else heard about the merit scholarships? Have those all been sent out already?

Has anyone else heard about the merit scholarships? Have those all been sent out already?
OOS has been sent out. Instate will go out early to mid January.

OOS scholarships are still going out, I just got the email (for those out there hoping for some, there may still be hope!)

Does anyone know the real meaning of deferred applications? Is there a realistic chance of being re-reviewed? I'm in state

Random question...but does anyone know if Iowa has great deals for getting braces as a dental student?! Cause I'm considering getting them either in the remainder of my gap year, or maybe during school.

Resident alternate list. Found out this morning :/

Does Iowa's alternate list tend to ever move much?

I also received an alternate list email on Monday (OOS). Looks like from previous cycles there's been a ranking system for the wait list. Anyone get any word on whether one exists yet? Or if there will even be one?

Just spoke to Rachael. I wanted to post the information she gave me to help any of that were curious. I am OOS so can only comment on the OOS alternate list. The OOS alternate list is ranked based on top third, middle, and bottom. She said she can not give you a number in line or anything more because the list is in constant flux. For OOS alternate list, there are currently 62 names on the list. She said to not be discouraged of this number because the OOS list has moved substantially in pervious years. If you are made an offer she will call you and email you.

I just want to remind all of you that are anxiously waiting, that some people on the alternate list might get into their state schools and decide to no longer consider Iowa. It is still early in the cycle and acceptances at other schools are still being sent out.

As long as we all stay positive, things will work out for all of us. We all are fortunate to be considered and don't forget that is an accomplishment in itself. I wish you all the best and hope everyone receives the news they hope for!! :)

Reactions: 2 users