Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview!

OOS
BCP: 3.75 sGPA 3.65 oGPA 3.54
AA 20 TS 19 PAT21 RC 23
Secondary Completed on 7/19

I'm starting to think people on SDN are all trolls. It's the weekend. How could anybody get an interview when there's nobody in the office?

I'm starting to think people on SDN are all trolls. It's the weekend. How could anybody get an interview when there's nobody in the office?

I got my invite on Christmas eve. People are put onto the list and after a certain date it is sent out, automated. I got my acceptance 1 AM Eastern.

VCU interviews on Fridays only.

I got my invite on Christmas eve. People are put onto the list and after a certain date it is sent out, automated. I got my acceptance 1 AM Eastern.

VCU interviews on Fridays only.
I'm getting seriously discouraged. I've only gotten 1 interview offer so far and I applied to 10 schools. I'm a Canadian so I'm afraid that hurts my chances significantly.

I'm getting seriously discouraged. I've only gotten 1 interview offer so far and I applied to 10 schools. I'm a Canadian so I'm afraid that hurts my chances significantly.

It's early man and like I said, I got my interview in late December. Don't worry about it. You still have many months left to receive an interview invitation.

Just got the interview invite today. I'll be at VCU on the 16'th.

What are the general numbers on number interviewed/number accepted for this year? I talked to Dr. Gottlieb (dean of admissions) earlier this year, and she said there was a 1/3 chance of being accepted after interview, but that doesn't seem to correlate with the numbers I see in the ADEA Guide/Doctoothache guide. Also, a question for the class of 2020 - how difficult was it to get a word in during the interview with 70 people in a group?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess August interviewees can answer the last question as well!

What are the general numbers on number interviewed/number accepted for this year? I talked to Dr. Gottlieb (dean of admissions) earlier this year, and she said there was a 1/3 chance of being accepted after interview, but that doesn't seem to correlate with the numbers I see in the ADEA Guide/Doctoothache guide. Also, a question for the class of 2020 - how difficult was it to get a word in during the interview with 70 people in a group?

As with all dental schools, you do not have a formal interview as a group. You are in a large group for the tours of the school and information about the school. At the individual interviews, it's just you and two doctors.

Anyone know when the interviews usually end? I'd like to purchase my plane ticket asap :)

D1 from the Class of 2020 here. If you guys have any questions about the interview process etc. fire away! Also to the people stressing about not getting an interview, I and a bunch of my classmates had post - December interviews with mine being on January 8th I believe. I was accepted a couple weeks later. Keep in my I am a OOS Applicant from California no less. Keep calm, trust in the hard work that got you this far and maintain a positive attitude (trust me you will need it in Dental School). Also don't be discouraged by students with high GPA's and DAT scores. Students in my class have GPA's as high as 3.9 to the sub 3.0. I would also recommend being open minded about where you are willing to attend Dental School. I know VCU SOD is the only SOD in Virginia so a lot of in state students want to attend. Coming from a person who moved across the country from CA to VA, I was initially skeptical about how I would like the school and Richmond in general. A month into classes and I can safely say this place has grown on me and my classmates are pretty much my extended family. Overall point is 1) be patient with the application process since it will last all the way until spring of next year and 2) keep an open mind about where you want to go to school.

Reactions: 1 users
Invited today for 9/30, but will be rescheduling due to conflicts
Hey! I am scheduled for September, 16th.... but I need to reschedule this interview because I have a conflict....

Did you reschedule it yet? Did you call them or email them to reschedule your appointment?

Please let me know... I sent them an email but they did not get back to me yet.

Thank you

Hey! I am scheduled for September, 16th.... but I need to reschedule this interview because I have a conflict....

Did you reschedule it yet? Did you call them or email them to reschedule your appointment?

Thank you
I e-mailed them to the e-mail address provided in the invitation e-mail and I have not heard back from them yet either. So I called them and they said they have high volumes of incoming e-mails so I guess we wait...

For the secondary, how did yall answer the question about misunderstandings? I am struggling to come up with anything that I can actually use.

hey does anyone know how long the interview day will be at VCU?

Thank you
The email should be enough. I got my invitation for the 16th, but rescheduled for the 30th. I sent an email and they replied the same day

Anyone from here who goes to GMU/ went to GMU and has gotten an invitation/ an acceptance letter? I know that the undergrad school doesn't matter per se, but one of my friends scared me by telling me that VCU rarely accepts students from GMU specifically.

I think your chances are closer to 50/50....and higher if you are in the first few interview groups.

Anyone from here who goes to GMU/ went to GMU and has gotten an invitation/ an acceptance letter? I know that the undergrad school doesn't matter per se, but one of my friends scared me by telling me that VCU rarely accepts students from GMU specifically.

That is not true. There are several students in my class that went to GMU, probably 6-7 if not more.

May I ask why you think it is closer to 50/50? Just curious

Because that is what Dr. Gottlieb told my interview group on my interview day. Think about it though. If they want to interview you that means they already believe you are smart enough to complete the degree. The interview is to make sure you have the interpersonal skills you need to interact with patients and professional faculty. Most importantly, realize that you are a valuable commodity and that they are selling the school to you as well. You don't need to be perfect in your interview, you need to be yourself! Everyone that gets into dental school is smart....being smart isn't an advantage anymore, you need to show them you are passionate about Dentistry.

If anyone has any questions about VCU or the interview process just let me know and I will be happy to give you all the help I can.

Because that is what Dr. Gottlieb told my interview group on my interview day. Think about it though. If they want to interview you that means they already believe you are smart enough to complete the degree. The interview is to make sure you have the interpersonal skills you need to interact with patients and professional faculty. Most importantly, realize that you are a valuable commodity and that they are selling the school to you as well. You don't need to be perfect in your interview, you need to be yourself! Everyone that gets into dental school is smart....being smart isn't an advantage anymore, you need to show them you are passionate about Dentistry.

If anyone has any questions about VCU or the interview process just let me know and I will be happy to give you all the help I can.
Would it be a disadvantage to reschedule your interview then?

Just wondering, where is the interview held? I haven't finished my supplementary yet so I haven't gotten their follow-up email.

Just wondering, where is the interview held? I haven't finished my supplementary yet so I haven't gotten their follow-up email.
"All candidates must report to the Lyons building, fourth floor, room 442, located at 520 N. 12th Street, Richmond, VA 23298" is what the email stated.

What sorts of things did yall say to answer the supplemental question asking how VCU is different from the other schools you applied to? I applied to 11 schools so VCU doesn't really stand out much, it's just a dental school I thought I stood a chance at. What makes this school unique?

What sorts of things did yall say to answer the supplemental question asking how VCU is different from the other schools you applied to? I applied to 11 schools so VCU doesn't really stand out much, it's just a dental school I thought I stood a chance at. What makes this school unique?
What secondary are you talking about? I was only told to pay a fee...

I was a little surprised to get an interview invite today (on a Sunday morning), but VCU is my third interview and I'm OOS :)

One factor I'm worried/on edge about is the safety. I did a lot of research on the Richmond area and VCU vicinity and I saw a lot of negative feedback/crime ratings. Can any in-state applicants or current students please speak to this? Thank you :)

I was a little surprised to get an interview invite today (on a Sunday morning), but VCU is my third interview and I'm OOS :)

One factor I'm worried/on edge about is the safety. I did a lot of research on the Richmond area and VCU vicinity and I saw a lot of negative feedback/crime ratings. Can any in-state applicants or current students please speak to this? Thank you :)

Not a student there, but I have many friends who attended/graduated there. To sum it up, the campus is very safe and takes precautions knowing that the area is not-so-safe. As long as you make smart decisions, you should be fine. Now this is mainly for the main campus, but I'm sure the dental/ medical campus is just the same.
From what I've heard, it's a wonderful place to live and there are really good places to explore (again, as long as you make smart decisions..)!

Not a student there, but I have many friends who attended/graduated there. To sum it up, the campus is very safe and takes precautions knowing that the area is not-so-safe. As long as you make smart decisions, you should be fine. Now this is mainly for the main campus, but I'm sure the dental/ medical campus is just the same.
From what I've heard, it's a wonderful place to live and there are really good places to explore (again, as long as you make smart decisions..)!

Thank you so much! that really helps :)

What date was your application mailed from aadsas?

Can anyone tell me what kind of questions they ask at the interviews?

Can anyone tell me what time the interview day starts and ends? :) I haven't finished my supplemental yet so they haven't sent me that info yet. I'd really appreciate it, cause I'm trying to book my flight ASAP before ticket prices further skyrocket haha

Can anyone tell me what time the interview day starts and ends? :) I haven't finished my supplemental yet so they haven't sent me that info yet. I'd really appreciate it, cause I'm trying to book my flight ASAP before ticket prices further skyrocket haha

Haha, I'm in the same boat! Someone answered this question a couple of posts up :)

The email says 9:30am to approximately 2:30pm

It also depends on what group you are in. They divide the ~70-people group into AM and PM groups so AM group is from 9:30 to 2::30 whereas PM group is 11:30 to 4:30

It also depends on what group you are in. They divide the ~70-people group into AM and PM groups so AM group is from 9:30 to 2::30 whereas PM group is 11:30 to 4:30

Hey thanks for letting me know! :) how and when do they decide who goes in which group? Would I have to email and tell them now I would prefer to be in the AM group since I'm out of state and have a flight to make, or is this something I would express the day of the interview? Or do we not get to pick?

Thank you so much!

Hey thanks for letting me know! :) how and when do they decide who goes in which group? Would I have to email and tell them now I would prefer to be in the AM group since I'm out of state and have a flight to make, or is this something I would express the day of the interview? Or do we not get to pick?

Thank you so much!
I didn't even know there were two groups haha. I didn't get to choose; the email you get after submitting the supplemental gives you the time. But I guess you could try requesting AM group and I'm sure they'll be understanding. Everyone's very friendly and nice.

I didn't even know there were two groups haha. I didn't get to choose; the email you get after submitting the supplemental gives you the time. But I guess you could try requesting AM group and I'm sure they'll be understanding. Everyone's very friendly and nice.
How soon after submitting your supplemental do they send out the email (I sent it out late at night, but wasn't sure if the information email was an automated response or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.