Oh how wrong they were about DPC!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Pam is amazing, and her book "pap smears and pet goats" is a page turner.

I'd say though that the one doc/no staff model is limited. Nothing wrong with being profitable enough to have nurses (male docs need pap chaperones), help with procedures, etc.

And i appreciate the attraction of a word document based emr, but that a very limited software -- but i'm clearly biased.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am grateful to everyone who is trying out alternatives to the soul-crushing factory style clinic model. Whether Dr. Wible's Ideal Medical Care or DPC, solo docs or partnerships, etc... y'all are blazing lots of interesting trails for us newbies coming up. Thanks for being so willing to share!

Reactions: 3 users
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/direct-...

Ok so i just finished reading this press release from www.specialdocs.com and was somewhere between laughing out loud and furioius. The innaccuracies inhere are embarrasing for a consulting company!

Point by point:

- DPC is best fiewed as a fee for service model -- UM NO! nearly every dpc practice i know of is based on a membership

- conceirge clinics focus on prevention and wellness b/c it takes extended time and attention (by inference, dpc doesn't b/c they don't have the time). The average dpc practice sees 6 pts/day....we have plenty of time.

- Majority of care in a conceirge model is provided by a physician and in DPC its primarily (just) NPs/PAs....i bet the 250 physicians that are attending the DPC summit this weekend might take issue with this

- in DPC there is no cap on pts...and frequently swell to over 1500 pts....WTF says the doctor who caps his panel at 600 pts

- Small DPC practices are not finacially viable - don't tell that to my docs who are salaried at $200k/yr....paying them in monopoly money seems to work

---My Favorite---DPC model will not be able to alter the treadmill nature of modern medicine....those are fightin' words!!

--Given the large number of patients they continue to see, the DPC physician cannot offer the dramatic change in how they deliver care.....now i'm just confused...do they even know what the hell they are talking about

--nor will [dpc] experience the remarkable transformation in their professional and personal lives,----ooops! i've been enjoying my life, i wish they would have told me sooner that i can't be happy
Appears that the original article has been taken down. . .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To take it even a step further, one could theoretically be a mobile doc and simply just do home visits without actually having an office. The gas mileage would suck, so would driving around to see patients.

The EMR looks intriguing. $300/mo doesn't sound bad.

I do have patients in my residency clinic who keep asking if I'll stick around in the area... and honestly, I wouldn't mind having them jump ship to join me. Most of these are attending patients, and some aren't.
There's a lediatrician in new York who does that I read an article about him with online booking and all home visits