OH Licensing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychStudent21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had experience getting their license in Ohio, but got their degree from a different state (specifically the LPC, which in Ohio is labeled a PC).
I heard Ohio is very strict with it's licensing regulations. I think my program covers everything required in regards to courses and internships hours, the only issue is that it is a 48 hr program and it seems like Ohio prefers 60 hr programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio doesn't look that strict to me - and the progression through their system seems pretty straightforward. I didn't see any requirement for a 60 credit program, and the coursework requirement seems pretty standard.

They only require 3000 hours for licensure. They do require both the NCE and the NCMHCE where as there are states that will license a counselor with just the NCE which is solely based on book knowledge and does not in anyway measure clinical skills. In that sense - they are more rigorous than some states.

Hopefully someone from Ohio will answer your questions.

Vasa Lisa