Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

OH MY SCIENCE! Where should I apply? (3.32 gpa 34 MCAT)

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by l1vefrom215, 06.10.08.

1. l1vefrom215

l1vefrom215

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Whatup SDNERs, hope you all could comment on my choices of schools as I am starting to think I will get in nowhere and should look into linkage, masters or PhD programs. My list of schools needs to be narrowed down so if any one has any suggestions for which ones to remove. I also welcome suggestions for schools that I should be applying to.

UPENN undergrad
    PA resident
    Mainland Puertorican ethnicity (I think this is URM right?)
    3.22 BCPM, 3.33 overall GPA
    34R MCAT

Clinical experience: EMT for a private ambulance company for a year, Volunteer in local ER

Research experience: 1 summer research in a behavioral neuroscience laboratory, 1 summer microbiology research, 1 yr clinical sleep research, independent study for 2 semesters course credit (no publications though).

University of Pennsylvania
    University of Pittsburgh
    Mount Sinai School of Medicine
    University of Rochester
    Tufts University
    Yeshiva University
    Pennsylvania State University
    University of Vermont
    Georgetown University
    Temple University
    Drexel University
    Jefferson Medical College
    Rosalind Franklin University
    Albany Medical College
    Loyola University Chicago
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    New York Medical College
    George Washington University
    Tulane University
    West Virginia University
    Howard University
    Florida International University College of Medicine
  2. thekayness

thekayness

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Well, I'm not really in a position to comment, since I'm in the same boat (except no MCAT yet) but I saw this up yesterday and wanted to leave some love since no one else has yet.
  3. RachelIL

RachelIL

Pre-Optometry
    Hi. I'm on Accepted.com's email list and they are having a telethon today at 5:00 PM, where you can call in and ask questions about your chances at schools and other application questions to their medical school editors.

I needed to register in order to get the phone number.

Will let you know if I get good advice but good luck for narrowing down your school choice.
  4. Dendrite

Dendrite

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would take FIU SOM off of your list; they're going to heavily favor in-state, especially since its their first year. UPenn seems like a reach; if you had some publications from all that research, it'd be a different story, and their median MCAT score is around a 35. But why not though; if you went there for undergrad, and made some connections, I would go for it. I would also add some other mid-level schools competitive-wise, like SLU, Creighton, and Loyola. Since you are research-oriented, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at Cleveland Clinic, but I don't know much of their program.

Good luck.
  5. RachelIL

RachelIL

Pre-Optometry
    So, the telethon was really good. The admissions consultant had some good insight into the different schools. She also gave advice on how to approach a weakness in the application, which is a really low MCAT score.

I don't know if Accepted.com is going to have any more telethons, but if they are, you should register because it's free. They also had this free email course on writing the AMCAS essay which is good.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal