Oh ****, the background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cemented

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just remembered that I have to submit a background check, crap, I have some stuff on my record I am not all that proud of. 6 years ago, I was at a party and the cops busted up everyone and charged us all with possession of drugs (pot). I wasn't doing anything but a whole bunch of us got arrested. Should I kiss my offer goodbye?
Please do not have the balls to critize me, we all have things in our past that we don't want others to know about, I am just being honest. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can you get it off your record? (I'm not a lawyer, but maybe you can? Since it was a while ago..)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, its too late for that. I guess I am slightly nervous but I have had freinds get into medical school and pharmacy school with worse stuff on their records. But still I am slightly nervous

I would call the school and tell them. If you try and hide something from them they will have no choice, but if you give them time to take it into account then it may not affect your application at all.

I think they are looking more for outstanding warrants and serious offenses like felonies that could possibly restrict your ability to get an intern license, which is required for pharmacy school. You should be ok, but give them a call. I'm sure Phyllis would be more than happy to help you out.

I would call Mercer right away and explain your situation to Jordana.

I don't think I am going to Mercer, I think I am going to UNC

Then call UNC right away, and be upfront with your situation. Better to find out their policy now, than later.

lol, you would be shocked at how many people have things on their record. If you haven't lied about it yet, you are fine. They are looking for people with felonies and other big crimes. DUI, minor consumption, trespassing, pot, etc. are things a lot of schools might dismiss. But multiple charges are gonna raise eyebrows. If you haven't lied to them about it, I would think that you're fine.

You're only issue might be when you do rotations. Assuming this ends up being the only thing on your record, from what I have read, you would still qualify to be licensed. At that point, it's up to your employer. I just read several instances where pharmacists got in trouble with the law, and their state board of pharmacy gave many opportunities to straighten out. I think you'll be fine! Good luck!

lol, you would be shocked at how many people have things on their record. If you haven't lied about it yet, you are fine. They are looking for people with felonies and other big crimes. DUI, minor consumption, trespassing, pot, etc. are things a lot of schools might dismiss. But multiple charges are gonna raise eyebrows. If you haven't lied to them about it, I would think that you're fine.

You're only issue might be when you do rotations. Assuming this ends up being the only thing on your record, from what I have read, you would still qualify to be licensed. At that point, it's up to your employer. I just read several instances where pharmacists got in trouble with the law, and their state board of pharmacy gave many opportunities to straighten out. I think you'll be fine! Good luck!

Well thank you, I have known people who have had DUI's etc and still gotten in and had no problems afterwards. I just called my best freind in med school and she told me do not worry. I wasn't selling it nor was i doing anything illegal. It shows an arrest but no conviction (non guilty plea entered). They have already accepted me, so it is unlikely that they will now tell me to f*ck off now. You never know but I am probably safe.

Last edited:
Someone I know got accepted into law school, took the bar exam, and became a lawyer after having a misdemeanor (or maybe it was a felony) on his record. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal for you but it's best to explain it to the school before you send them the background check report.

So i just remembered that I have to submit a background check, crap, I have some stuff on my record I am not all that proud of. 6 years ago, I was at a party and the cops busted up everyone and charged us all with possession of drugs (pot). I wasn't doing anything but a whole bunch of us got arrested. Should I kiss my offer goodbye?
Please do not have the balls to critize me, we all have things in our past that we don't want others to know about, I am just being honest. Thanks

you could talk about this experience in your personal statement. It seems like you were with the wrong crowd, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Mistakes happen, and you are only human... the important thing is that hopefully you learned from your mistakes. Im sure they would value your honesty...

Unless of course you were 17 when that happened (which would make your case just a misdemeanor and probably wouldn't be in your record to begin with, right?... im not pre-law or anything, so someone correct me if im wrong).

you could talk about this experience in your personal statement. It seems like you were with the wrong crowd, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Mistakes happen, and you are only human... the important thing is that hopefully you learned from your mistakes. Im sure they would value your honesty...

Unless of course you were 17 when that happened (which would make your case just a misdemeanor and probably wouldn't be in your record to begin with, right?... im not pre-law or anything, so someone correct me if im wrong).

The OP has been accepted at multiple institutions thus far, his/her personal statement is water under the bridge at this point.

Your scenario does make me think though: I seem to remember when submitting supplementals, my schools had me sign forms which subjected me to a background check long before an interview opportunity. I wonder why in the world UNC waits until after the interview to perform a background check...seems like it could potentially waste time on the part of both parties. Not that I foresee your issue causing any withdrawls by UNC but it just makes sense to feel up your girlfriend before you marry her.