Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EllieGirl89

Ohio State CVM c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things are moving along!

I'm a current undergrad at Ohio State, so I don't know how much this applies to OOS applicants. But we have an online "Student Center" that has our schedules and it's where we sign up for classes and everything. There's also an "Applicant Center" on this site and for the past couple of days I've been looking at the "Application Status" page and so far it's not had anything about my vet school application on it.

Well, today I checked it and my vet school app showed up and it said "Incomplete." I looked at what it said I was missing my transcripts but said they were "initialized." I just got back from school and it now says that my transcripts are "Complete" and my application is "In Review"!!!

It's not a lot but it makes me SO excited to see any little bit of progress!

Members don't see this ad.

I just logged in (they sent login info today) and my application is "in review" too! But then a few more clicks I see that they have my GRE scores but only 7/11 transcripts... hoping the rest show up! I know that at least one other school that I sent them individually to has gotten them all, and they were requested the same day over a month ago, so hopefully they are just waiting to be logged in!

This does make it seem more real!

My transcripts are still "initiated." I called earlier today and the woman I spoke to said that they status will be updated over the next 2 weeks. :mad:Grrrr!!

Members don't see this ad :)
11 transcripts? :wow:
Tell me about it! I know it sounds ridiculous and irresponsible, but really it wasn't I swear! 2 were from credits I earned while in high school, 2 from undergrad (for personal reasons I spent my junior year at a university closer to my family, but returned to my primary college senior year), 1 from my master's degree, 2 from professional development courses I took for my current career, and 4 from scraping together pre-reqs and upper division bio courses from wherever I could find them that would fit with my schedule/online! It really added up... and the fact that most of them charged me $10-15 a transcript, that also added up! It cost me nearly $100 per school I applied to just for transcripts... and I applied to 9 schools this year:eek:. I do better when I don't add up everything...

Well, *I* just got a letter in the mail because APPARENTLY they have my application but there's some confusion over whether I'm actually an Ohio resident.

WHAT?!? I've lived in Ohio for 4 years, gone to school here, worked here, paid taxes, and you're having trouble figuring out if I "count" as a resident?!?!?!
:boom:

Well, *I* just got a letter in the mail because APPARENTLY they have my application but there's some confusion over whether I'm actually an Ohio resident.

WHAT?!? I've lived in Ohio for 4 years, gone to school here, worked here, paid taxes, and you're having trouble figuring out if I "count" as a resident?!?!?!

Did your parents move to ohio also? If not were you 100% financially self sufficient utilizing only Ohio derived funds for the last 12 months you have been here?

Gah, that sucks! I hope they figure it out soon!

I actually put something in my explanation statement about my residency, because I figured it might cause some confusion. I was actually born in Michigan (I keep THAT one on the DL around here ;)) so that's what it says on my VMCAS, but it also says I have been an Ohio resident since birth. My dad was on active duty in the Air Force at that time so I was born on the base, and my parents never became Michigan residents, so even though I was born in Michigan I've always been an Ohio resident. This stuff is so confusing sometimes.

@david594: My parents have not moved here, but seeing as I've been financially independent for longer than I've lived here, I'm not sure what the issue is. My guess is that they're confused because I have Purdue listed as a current school in addition to Cleveland State, because I'm taking a class online through Purdue. Hopefully once I get on the phone with a live human today I can get it sorted out!

Ohio has all 7 of my transcripts, but the one that only has my genetics class on it says, "Temporarily waived for referral. (still required)" No idea what that means, but I figure they'll contact me if there's a problem. Everything's THERE, that's the main thing.

I do better when I don't add up everything...
Hehe. I'm sorry it was so expensive! Ahh. I'm preparing myself to reapply again next year (only applied OOS and regretting it now), but my parents said they will pay for next year's apps. I only have two different transcripts so far and will probably have three next year! But, the CC I went to for phys II sends transcripts for free!!:thumbup:

mine says "In Review" on the main page, and " Your application is currently in the process of being evaluated and prepared for an academic decision."

Members don't see this ad :)
In Review!! Whoo-hoo!! I'm in review :highfive:

Is it safe to assume that not everybody has gotten the email with login info yet?

I would guess Ohio (and all schools) got a ton of applications at the last minute from all of the procrastinators, so if you were in that group, it may take a little longer for you to get your login info. On the other hand, make sure you also check your spam filter just in case!

Jesus christ on crackers, I finally got my non-Ohio resident status corrected. It only took nearly 3 hours on the phone over 3 days and faxing 13 pages of paperwork. And finding out that my fax got filed to be processed in like, July. :bang:
SO glad the girl I talked to today was able to get a supervisor to help find the info and fast-track the process so I'm considered as an in-state applicant.

Ugh, sorry that was such a pain for you! At least it's done and you're an IS for OSU!

This wait is killing me, btw.

Jesus christ on crackers, I finally got my non-Ohio resident status corrected. It only took nearly 3 hours on the phone over 3 days and faxing 13 pages of paperwork. And finding out that my fax got filed to be processed in like, July. :bang:
SO glad the girl I talked to today was able to get a supervisor to help find the info and fast-track the process so I'm considered as an in-state applicant.

Nice job.

I looked back at my "application acknowledgment" email and noticed it said to expect another email in three days with login info. Well that was a few weeks ago now. I checked my spam folder and nada. So I emailed them, and got a short email back saying "don't worry about it too much, we will contact you if we are missing any materials."

Looks like I won't be able to login and obsessively check my application status, which is fine with me. Once I finish these last few supplementals I really want to forget about it all, remember that my constant obsessing won't change the outcome, and trust that if they need to contact me they know where to find me. ;)

Is that like an Ohio thing? I looked in the grocery store and couldn't find it here in CA.

Actually maybe it's from Jersey, since that's where I'm from.

And soooooo tasty. You're missing out. :laugh:

Actually maybe it's from Jersey, since that's where I'm from.

And soooooo tasty. You're missing out. :laugh:

Next time I'm there I will look, maybe right next to the Tasty Cakes.

OK, thread hijack is over, sorry guys.

Is that like an Ohio thing? I looked in the grocery store and couldn't find it here in CA.

TOO FUNNY! And I needed a laugh. Just got done studying O Chem for the last 5 hours (and so many more hours to go in the next few days..sigh). Thanks for the chuckles, Squibby! :laugh:

So, true story.

Nearly every day I go to the Parker Dairy Store on Ag Campus and buy a 75 cent cappucino. Yesterday was no different, and as I waited for the girl to make it for me, I overheard the other worker in there talking to her. Her words? "So did I tell you I got an interview here at Ohio State?!?" I knew it was ridiculous, but my heart jumped for a minute and my mind started racing. I was like "It can't be happening already!"

Then I listened to the rest of the conversation and it was, obviously, for something that was NOT vet school. So I guess that's what I get for eavesdropping-a heart attack.

At least the cappucino was good.

Wow, EllieG, that would have flipped me out too. I SO BADLY want to get an interview invite from OHIO. I've personally never even visited, but a friend of mine did, and came back raving about it.

Wow, EllieG, that would have flipped me out too. I SO BADLY want to get an interview invite from OHIO. I've personally never even visited, but a friend of mine did, and came back raving about it.

First of all, I'd like to say that I really love you calling me EllieG. It makes me sound like a really cool rapper which is completely appropriate. You'd know what I mean if you saw the area of Columbus where I live.

Second of all, your friend is correct in his ravings. Ohio State is quite wonderful in many ways. I really hope you get an interview! :xf:

I looked back at my "application acknowledgment" email and noticed it said to expect another email in three days with login info. Well that was a few weeks ago now. I checked my spam folder and nada. So I emailed them, and got a short email back saying "don't worry about it too much, we will contact you if we are missing any materials."

Looks like I won't be able to login and obsessively check my application status, which is fine with me. Once I finish these last few supplementals I really want to forget about it all, remember that my constant obsessing won't change the outcome, and trust that if they need to contact me they know where to find me. ;)

I haven't been able to check, anyways, since the website isn't working... whenever I try to access it, it says "This is not a valid time to access the system.
Please try again later."

Sooooo....????

I haven't been able to check, anyways, since the website isn't working... whenever I try to access it, it says "This is not a valid time to access the system.
Please try again later."

Sooooo....????

The website is down from like 1am to 6am every night (morning?). Check back at a decent hour ;)

Oh.... Well, 1-6AM is my free time, when else am I supposed to check it??? ;)

Oh.... Well, 1-6AM is my free time, when else am I supposed to check it??? ;)

Haha guess you'll have to check it during lunch. I think it's really dumb. I mean, what could they possibly have to work on every single night from 1am-6am and have to shut it down for that time?

Usually backups are done at night, and those take a while to complete. I'm guessing the portal that Ohio uses it the same portal used by all undergrad and grad students for class info, etc. so that's why it needs to be maintained like that.

Ah makes sense. Still inconvenient sometimes, though!

Soooo now that applicants from other schools are starting to get confirmations that their files are complete and whatnot...I'm starting to get antsy, dangit! I looked back at my confirmation email from when I submitted my supplemental, and and it says "We will notify you by email when your application file is complete."

Has anyone gotten one of these emails from Ohio? Does anyone know when they send them out? I know it's only a month-ish until they start to send out interview invites (eeeeee) and I'd like to make sure they have all my stuff! I don't really want to call because in that email they specifically ask you NOT to call to confirm receipt of materials. Bleh.

On a side note, the reason I was thinking about interview invites is because my ever-so-helpful dad texted me yesterday and it simply said "So what, only about 30 more days till interview invites go out?" Thanks a LOT dad. Just as I was finally starting to relax a little bit.

So right after I wrote that last thing, I took my dog outside to go potty. On my way back in I checked the mail, and saw the OSU Vet School's logo on an envelope. Be still my heart. I tore into it....and it was a reminder that I need to pay the vet hospital for when my dog went in for his allergic reaction.

*Stalks off to find credit card, muttering obscenities*

So right after I wrote that last thing, I took my dog outside to go potty. On my way back in I checked the mail, and saw the OSU Vet School's logo on an envelope. Be still my heart. I tore into it....and it was a reminder that I need to pay the vet hospital for when my dog went in for his allergic reaction.

*Stalks off to find credit card, muttering obscenities*

I HATE when they do that. I'll get emails from places about programs and other randomness - and I'm waiting on a d*** email about my d*** application!!! COME ON GUYS. +pissed+

I HATE when they do that. I'll get emails from places about programs and other randomness - and I'm waiting on a d*** email about my d*** application!!! COME ON GUYS. +pissed+

My favorite e-mail was from Western last year. I received an e-mail telling me that I had requested additional information about the veterinary program at western and that e-mail was giving me the info. I was like, "I don't need any information; just take me off the waitlist!!!" :bang:

My favorite e-mail was from Western last year. I received an e-mail telling me that I had requested additional information about the veterinary program at western and that e-mail was giving me the info. I was like, "I don't need any information; just take me off the waitlist!!!" :bang:

Tufts did that to me last year a ton - I was waitlisted, and I'd get a letter from them in the mail that said "just checking to make sure you still want to be on the waitlist! Is this still your address?!" and then I'd curl up in the corner and cry.

Tufts did that to me last year a ton - I was waitlisted, and I'd get a letter from them in the mail that said "just checking to make sure you still want to be on the waitlist! Is this still your address?!" and then I'd curl up in the corner and cry.

I got something very similar from Western too except it was an e-mail. I just wanted to die especially since the title of the e-mail said, "Alternate Status Update."
computer-31.gif

Ok, this won't apply to you young'uns, but just an FYI...

Ohio puts a 10 year expiration date on their science pre-reqs, and DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT on their pre-req page.

Made my day [insert blatantly sarcastic tone here].

Ohio puts a 10 year expiration date on their science pre-reqs, and DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT on their pre-req page.

Sorry that happened LivestockDoc! Is that going to affect your application? I guess I knew that but then again I've been stalking the OSUCVM website since I was 15 years old so I think I could recite it in my sleep. I think it's on the FAQ page, but that would make a lot more sense to put it on the pre-req page. I hope you get get that all worked out.

I take it you got the same e-mail that I got today?

Yeah, it was in the FAQ... the thing that gets me though is that I started back in the summer to work this out with them (they say you can petition) and it was very hard to get the right people to respond to me... and when I finally did and then did everything they asked of me, I didn't get an answer before the application deadline. I almost didn't apply, but I had already had all my transcripts mailed there, so I figured what the heck. It was hard to put 100% effort into those essays not even knowing if they would even consider my application though, so I know they suffered. And I still don't have an answer, and then I got that e-mail today! I e-mailed the woman they said to (she is the one I had been working with) to see if she has any updates on my situation... fingers crossed! For both of us!

I know you've taken lots of classes recently, Livestockdoc, so hopefully you can make a good case!

It's ridiculous. I applied to 6 schools, and this is the only one that won't accept older pre-reqs (unless I get another surprise in my inbox).
And it's not even a biomedical science. It's my first semester physics. Grr.

I've been working on a solution today, but won't know anything for a bit.

Hope you get it worked out too, G2D.

I want that interview, dang it! And I'm looking forward to hittin' up EllieG for a tour of C-bus!

It's ridiculous. I applied to 6 schools, and this is the only one that won't accept older pre-reqs (unless I get another surprise in my inbox).
And it's not even a biomedical science. It's my first semester physics. Grr.

I've been working on a solution today, but won't know anything for a bit.

Hope you get it worked out too, G2D.

I want that interview, dang it! And I'm looking forward to hittin' up EllieG for a tour of C-bus!

I got a nice e-mail back to my asking what is up with my petition, so hopefully things will get sorted out soon! Ironically the one she is most concerned about getting OKed is physics, although almost all of my science pre-reqs are old. I ran into the age limit with several schools, and decided to not pursue it with some of them. The others that had an issue that I still applied to were KSU and ISU, but I believe I got everything sorted out with them back over the summer. Ohio is the only one I am actively worried about for this issue still! :xf:

I got a nice e-mail back to my asking what is up with my petition, so hopefully things will get sorted out soon! Ironically the one she is most concerned about getting OKed is physics, although almost all of my science pre-reqs are old. I ran into the age limit with several schools, and decided to not pursue it with some of them. The others that had an issue that I still applied to were KSU and ISU, but I believe I got everything sorted out with them back over the summer. Ohio is the only one I am actively worried about for this issue still! :xf:

That is really strange...because physics hasn't changed much (at least Newtonian physics) in 10 years :laugh:

And I'm looking forward to hittin' up EllieG for a tour of C-bus!

Um. YES.

So our pre-vet club meeting was in Dunlap Auditorium last night...I had such a hard time concentrating on the speaker because I was being nerdy and daydreaming about being there in less than ONE YEAR, God willing. Eeeee. Though I know I'll be sick of it after a quarter of having class in there nine hours a day, right now I'm completely enamored with the room :love:

Though I know I'll be sick of it after a quarter of having class in there nine hours a day, right now I'm completely enamored with the room :love:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think we ever had a day with 9 hours of class.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think we ever had a day with 9 hours of class.

Haha I know, just exaggerating. I saw the schedule on the board and it went from 8-4 including lunch and anatomy lab. Makes me giddy to think about =D