Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yayyyy momo!! Congrats!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have officially decided to be a buckeye!!!! Can't wait to meet all of you! If anyone is OOS and wants to do something during august, please dont hesitate to PM!!!

Woooo!!!! Can't wait!

:):):):):)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yayyyy momo!! Congrats!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall.

I know I am very excited! I joined your fb group yesterday, I wrote on the wall...I'm sure you will figure out who I am based on my name!

=)

And thanks Squibby...have you decided to join me??? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 15th, but my interview was at 3:15! I was however talking to a bunch of people from the morning interviews during our lunch break! What about you?

Oh, nevmd! There was a girl from Florida in the morning section and I thought that might be you. I don't think we met that day. Anyhoo, congrats again!

Oh, nevmd! There was a girl from Florida in the morning section and I thought that might be you. I don't think we met that day. Anyhoo, congrats again!

Thanks! I'm just so happy to finally know where I will be!!

See you all soon!
:D:D:D:D

Hey everyone, I have officially decided to be a buckeye!!!! Can't wait to meet all of you! If anyone is OOS and wants to do something during august, please dont hesitate to PM!!!

Woooo!!!! Can't wait!

:):):):):)

YAYY!! Congrats momo! :thumbup:

YAYY!! Congrats momo! :thumbup:

THANKS!! I'm glad I could finally accept my spot! I'm pretty sure I met you at my interview, I think we have had this discussion...you were the one who the interviewers asked about sweaty hands to right?? if not wow sorry to be random! :oops:

But regardless can't wait to see you in the fall!
:D

THANKS!! I'm glad I could finally accept my spot! I'm pretty sure I met you at my interview, I think we have had this discussion...you were the one who the interviewers asked about sweaty hands to right?? if not wow sorry to be random! :oops:

But regardless can't wait to see you in the fall!
:D

hahah yes, i'm glad everyone can remember me by my "sweaty hands" how embarrassing.

Don't worry Dobies, it easily could have been me being known for my sweaty hands! I sat there for the last few minutes before my interview blowing on my hands to get them to be less sweaty :)

Had lunch with Evie1923 today! We literally sat and talked at the little restaurant we went to for 2 hours. We're gonna have such a great class guys! I can't wait to meet more of you!

I got an e-mail from admissions today notifying me of a "scholarship" award. Couldn't get a chance to call before the office closed, so now I'm stuck wondering until Monday whether this is the 10 grand that every OOS person gets, or that I'm special. More likely than not, it's not the latter.

Hate to burst your bubble but I think it's the same for every OOS student....

Hate to burst your bubble but I think it's the same for every OOS student....

Well that bursts my bubble too... I applied for the scholarship and did not receive an e-mail! :(

To worry or not to worry!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had lunch with Evie1923 today! We literally sat and talked at the little restaurant we went to for 2 hours. We're gonna have such a great class guys! I can't wait to meet more of you!

I had fun too! It's makes me even more excited for the fall!!!! 6.5 months and counting...:D

So squibby, I've decided that you can't possibly go to Illinois for 2 very important reasons:
1) Us Ohioans already lost our supply of LSD;) (Miss you LSD!) and
2) where else are we going to find ourselves a chicken that likes to wear suits?

And momo, glad to hear you're joining us!! Look forward to meeting you in the fall!

So squibby, I've decided that you can't possibly go to Illinois for 2 very important reasons:
2) where else are we going to find ourselves a chicken that likes to wear suits?

And momo, glad to hear you're joining us!! Look forward to meeting you in the fall!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Squibby we neeeeeddd youuuu!

Dude, LSD, so you are officially applying to med school? What does the timeline for that process look like? Are you definitely not starting vet school in the Fall now?

Well, I'm still struggling with this decision. I'm doing a lot of MD shadowing right now to help me decide (and I'm really liking it).

If I make the final decision to go allo, it screws me up for another 2 years. This May, I would move back to North Carolina (which is where I was before I moved to Colorado) to regain residency. They have 2 IS schools, and 1 of them only takes IS applicants. I'd have to find a job pronto because I'm broke. Hopefully I can find something in healthcare so I can start networking. I'd take the MCAT in Spring 2012, and apply to med school in June 2012 (to start in Fall 2013). Heck, I'll probably be bald, have dentures, and two titanium hips by then.

The first two docs I shadowed (both surgeons) use their huge salaries to support their hobbies of.....raising livestock. Be still my heart. Is that a coincidence, or a sign from the universe? Wish I knew.

Everything's still up in the air for now. I doubt anyone in med school wears chicken suits or footie pajamas, so that's a big strike against them right there.

I'll keep you posted.

E-mail me! I majored in physics and have a MS in physical chemistry which is a whole lot of (albeit quantum) physics... I will tutor for a slice of pizza:D.....

Um...I love you...just saying. :p

Everything's still up in the air for now. I doubt anyone in med school wears chicken suits or footie pajamas, so that's a big strike against them right there.

None of them live in bubbles either :(

I'll keep you posted.

judging by your status it looks like you are already gone to us :(
or it that so in the allo forum people don't think you are a nut?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Squibby we neeeeeddd youuuu!

Jesus, you guys! I know, I know...
But have you read about Illinois' curriculum?! Do you blame me for thinking about it? At OSU I'm still concerned about the class size increase, and how that is being handled, but I will be looking into that over the next few days. My plan right now is for me and wifey to travel to each school and see how I (we) feel.

We thought about making our dog decide for us, but she couldn't even understand what we were talking about, so we gave up on that idea. Does anyone have a Ouija board, or a magic 8 ball? EllieG, can you turn your bubble into a magic 8 ball? Wait, I can already guess which answer it would give.

Jesus, you guys! I know, I know...
But have you read about Illinois' curriculum?! Do you blame me for thinking about it? At OSU I'm still concerned about the class size increase, and how that is being handled, but I will be looking into that over the next few days. My plan right now is for me and wifey to travel to each school and see how I (we) feel.

Aw sorry Squibbs, we don't mean to pressure you. We just really like ya and want to make sure you know it.

I certainly don't blame you for weighing your options.You've got a tough choice to make, and there are awesome things about both schools, and both will get you to where you eventually want to be. We really do want you to make the choice that's best for you, even if that means you won't be with us next fall.

I look forward to your visit to Columbus and would love to show you and wifey around a bit if you do so desire. (Double date yes??)

P.S. I will also stay out of your hair if that's what you desire ;)

judging by your status it looks like you are already gone to us :(
or it that so in the allo forum people don't think you are a nut?

Yeah, that's a big part of it. I don't want 'em to say "What the hell are you doing over here? Go away."

Does anyone have a Ouija board, or a magic 8 ball?

I've got a Ouija! And my family keeps asking why I continually move the board around with me... I knew it would come in handy one of these days! I also have a friend who's very handy with the Tarot and Runes if you think that could help in your decision. Every little bit helps, right?

Regardless, you'll make the decision that's best for you as long as you do what feels 'right'. I myself am running into a doldrum or two upon whether or not to pack up and head out to Cbus should I get accepted into the MPH program and am considering a trip out to see how it 'feels' (that's if I can manage to get any time off)... Isn't it 'fun' being an adult??

And now, on a completely unrelated topic, Google is celebrating a GREAT day!

www.google.com

Aw sorry Squibbs, we don't mean to pressure you. We just really like ya and want to make sure you know it.

I look forward to your visit to Columbus and would love to show you and wifey around a bit if you do so desire. (Double date yes??)

Yes, it's a date! And thank you for making me feel loved. :)

Yeah, that's a big part of it. I don't want 'em to say "What the hell are you doing over here? Go away."

OK, I can accept that. Does the hate over there burn your skin when you enter?

I've got a Ouija! And my family keeps asking why I continually move the board around with me... I knew it would come in handy one of these days! I also have a friend who's very handy with the Tarot and Runes if you think that could help in your decision. Every little bit helps, right?

Regardless, you'll make the decision that's best for you as long as you do what feels 'right'. I myself am running into a doldrum or two upon whether or not to pack up and head out to Cbus should I get accepted into the MPH program and am considering a trip out to see how it 'feels' (that's if I can manage to get any time off)... Isn't it 'fun' being an adult??

And now, on a completely unrelated topic, Google is celebrating a GREAT day!

www.google.com

I didn't see anything special on the google page. What was it?

How is it that being an adult doesn't feel any different from being a kid? I thought that I would be someone else when I grew up.

Right there with you.

I'm so glad I'm not still waiting for Davis, I would probably have to be put in an asylum.

I'm so glad I'm not still waiting for Davis, I would probably have to be put in an asylum.

Yeah, it's pretty much the most potent form of indirect torture imaginable. Kinda...

I have a question:

The financial aid presentation we all saw lists the tuition + cost of living for the 4th year of the program as being 10k more than the 2nd and 3rd year (for OOS). Is it correct for me to assume that this extra 10k is not an increase in tuition, but an increase in cost of living (and therefore total loans) because it includes the summer before 4th year?

I have a question:

The financial aid presentation we all saw lists the tuition + cost of living for the 4th year of the program as being 10k more than the 2nd and 3rd year (for OOS). Is it correct for me to assume that this extra 10k is not an increase in tuition, but an increase in cost of living (and therefore total loans) because it includes the summer before 4th year?

That's my understanding. As always though, I could be wrong.

Yes, I distinctly remember (and have notes regarding the subject) that the tuition increase is due to attending 4 quarters your senior year, not just 3 (i.e. the summer session, when we do it, it will be 3 semesters not two).

Yes, I distinctly remember (and have notes regarding the subject) that the tuition increase is due to attending 4 quarters your senior year, not just 3 (i.e. the summer session, when we do it, it will be 3 semesters not two).

So is it a tuition increase or an increase in your loans for cost of living because you will be in school longer?

I did just wake up from a nap, but I could swear you and EllieG just said the opposite answer.

So is it a tuition increase or an increase in your loans for cost of living because you will be in school longer?

I did just wake up from a nap, but I could swear you and EllieG just said the opposite answer.

I think l2vet is using the word "tuition" interchangeably with cost of attendence.

Considering that you are getting an entire extra quarter of education, I assume that the tuition is higher. That has always been my understanding anyway. I mean, they aren't going to give you 10K just for living expenses for three months!

However, I'm sure part of that loan money you are allowed to take out is also for cost of living, since you won't have the summer off to work.

Can I just say I'm amazed you are thinking this far ahead? I haven't even really thought about this, and I'm two years ahead of you!

Last edited:
Considering that you are getting an entire extra quarter of education, I assume that the tuition is higher. That has always been my understanding anyway. I mean, they aren't going to give you 10K just for living expenses for three months!

However, I'm sure part of that loan money you are allowed to take out is also for cost of living, since you won't have the summer off to work.

Can I just say I'm amazed you are thinking this far ahead? I haven't even really thought about this, and I'm two years ahead of you!

Thanks for the info, Karmapple. Squibby's working on deciding between schools right now, so my guess is that she is working out the COA at each school for the total of the four years.

Squibby, I'm sure you could email the financial aid lady at OSU for a definitive answer.

Ha ha! Actually, what I am trying to do is decide between OSU and Illinois. I found out today that Illinois does NOT have such an increase for the 4th year, which makes a difference as far as total cost of tuition goes, but not if that 10k at OSU is not for tuition. Because I have a spouse who will provide some financial support while I am in school I don't know how much for COL I will need to take out, so I have to look closely at the tuition itself.

I will call OSU tomorrow, because I just can't tell 100% either way from the info I can find online.

I think l2vet is using the word "tuition" interchangeably with cost of attendence.
Yeah, sorry. I wasn't very clear, EG is right. COA goes up because you're attending another semester/quarter. I assume that cost of living goes up as well but I haven't seen the 4th year breakdown.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't very clear, EG is right. COA goes up because you're attending another semester/quarter. I assume that cost of living goes up as well but I haven't seen the 4th year breakdown.

I think we need to define some terms here.
COA = Tuition + COL

So, COA goes up b/c COL goes up. We always only get loans for COL for the time you are in school, (9 months). But, for the 4th year your COL spans 12 months, not 9, thus the increase.

Email Jane Woodland, our financial aid person for the vet school. She is super helpful and friendly and gets back to you very quickly.

If you are married, and your spouse gets a full-time job in Ohio, you'll probably get to pay in-state tuition right from the very beginning. I have paid in-state tuition my entire time at OSU, and I moved here from Texas. It saved me LOTS of money!

Search for "C-3 residency" on the OSU website.

I think we need to define some terms here.
COA = Tuition + COL

So, COA goes up b/c COL goes up. We always only get loans for COL for the time you are in school, (9 months). But, for the 4th year your COL spans 12 months, not 9, thus the increase.
What do you mean, you can't read my mind! :mad:

Sorry guys. I swear I'm not an idiot. :laugh:

Email Jane Woodland, our financial aid person for the vet school. She is super helpful and friendly and gets back to you very quickly.

If you are married, and your spouse gets a full-time job in Ohio, you'll probably get to pay in-state tuition right from the very beginning. I have paid in-state tuition my entire time at OSU, and I moved here from Texas. It saved me LOTS of money!

Search for "C-3 residency" on the OSU website.

What?!! I had no idea, and that would indeed apply to me. I'll email her tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm not sure what OOS tuition was last year, but for c/o 2016, tuition is now $59,883/year :eek::eek::eek:. That's actually insane. I know you can get residency after first year, but can you imagine if you weren't able to do so? That's almost $250,000!

What?!! I had no idea, and that would indeed apply to me. I'll email her tomorrow. Thanks!

Ah, okay, when I said email Jane Woodland, I meant to ask her about the fourth year tuition. I doubt she will know anything about getting in-state residency. I had to apply for all that through the main OSU registrar's office.

Myself and two other married people in my class that I know of were able to get out of paying out-of-state tuition this way. We weren't told about it until our financial aid presentation at orientation, but I found out about it sooner by poking around the OSU website. I don't think they like to advertise about it. They do lose tuition money!

I had to submit the following to the registrar's office by the first Friday of the quarter:

Copy of marriage license
Three recent paystubs from husband's employer
Letter from employer verfiying full-time status
Copies of our Ohio Driver's Licenses
Proof of domicile (rental agreement, closing statement on house, whatever)

Seriously, check it out under C-3 residency. http://registrar.osu.edu/Residency/Guidelines.asp

I'm not sure what OOS tuition was last year, but for c/o 2016, tuition is now $59,883/year :eek::eek::eek:. That's actually insane. I know you can get residency after first year, but can you imagine if you weren't able to do so? That's almost $250,000!

Every year someone freaks out and says this. I promise you: It is NOT difficult to get residency!! Everyone I know did. They try to help you and make it as easy as possible. There are just a few simple rules you have to follow, and they aren't that difficult. Relax.

Orientation date changed apparently. Posted on the facebook page by Sandra Dawkins... changed from the 15-20 to the 8-10.

Orientation date changed apparently. Posted on the facebook page by Sandra Dawkins... changed from the 15-20 to the 8-10.

Yeah I think this is really interesting. I replied and asked her if school is going to start earlier or if we are just having orientation a week early. That could possibly be the "information forthcoming."

She just responded and said that classes will start at the same time...it's really odd then that orientation is so early. That cuts like, right into the middle of the last couple weeks of break. I want to get as much experience at my clinic back home this summer as I can, so I was planning on moving in to whatever place I'll be moving into on September 1, going back home for two weeks to work and then coming back for orientation and then the start of classes immediately after. Now I'm going to have to decide if I just want to move down September 1 and stay all the way till matriculation, or if I want to move down, go back up home for a week, come back down for orientation, go back up and work for another week, and then come back down for classes. I suppose I'll figure all that out when we get more information.

She just responded and said that classes will start at the same time...it's really odd then that orientation is so early.

I have a HUGE problem with it. I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding IN WISCONSIN on the 10th. I don't understand how it was told to us that it would be the 15-20 (felt like they were saying it was set in stone....) and now it's changed?? I'm not a happy camper right now.

:bang:

I have a HUGE problem with it. I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding IN WISCONSIN on the 10th. I don't understand how it was told to us that it would be the 15-20 (felt like they were saying it was set in stone....) and now it's changed?? I'm not a happy camper right now.

:bang:

Ugh that really sucks! I would maybe email Sandra about it, because on the Website it says the dates are the 15-20 and that the dates are CONFIRMED. I mean, they can't hold against you that you planned around those dates when it says they are confirmed, right?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but this awesome thread is sooooo long that I didn't feel like reading all the way back. I forgot what they said during the info session before my interview...does anyone know if OSU is planning on completely switching over to tracking, and if so, when? Tracking has been discussed in another recent thread and I thought that there might be some more specific information here.

On another note I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET ALL OF YOU!!! Three years of waiting and I'm finally going to vet school! :D ....ready to rock