Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the B+, EllieG!!! :highfive:

And, yes, 'Plan B' is the one that drops my spaceship in C-bus. Will have to see how things turn out and then will have to come out there to see how well I 'fit' into the city before any final decisions are made...

Enjoy your visit with Squibby and her wife. Be sure to show them a good time!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! This may be random but I since all of you have been accepted to OSU I figured you would know, I am trying to sign up for classes for next semester and I can't seem to figure out if OSU requires a lab with biochemistry or not! I e-mailed the e-mail a few days ago but I haven't heard back yet... any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi! This may be random but I since all of you have been accepted to OSU I figured you would know, I am trying to sign up for classes for next semester and I can't seem to figure out if OSU requires a lab with biochemistry or not! I e-mailed the e-mail a few days ago but I haven't heard back yet... any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I didn't. OSU says you should take Biochem 511, which is described as:

Biochemistry (511) Five quarter credit hours.
Molecular basis of structure and metabolism of
living things. Note: If Biochemistry is taught as a
2-part sequence, both parts are required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, I took the Biochem 511 and it didn't have a laboratory component.

Dear Squibby:

I'm really sorry that I told you to unpack your gloves and then it started blizzarding in Columbus. :thumbdown:

Love, EllieG

Housing search = :boom: How's everyone else's going?

Sorry it's sucking for you. :( Four years ago in Columbus I moved 4 times in one year.... I know how bad it sucks. I'm glad I'm not in that boat...

ha! house hunting.. I don't plan on starting until this summer.

Anyone in school now and NOT required to turn in transcripts.. are you sending them anyways?

ha! house hunting.. I don't plan on starting until this summer.

Anyone in school now and NOT required to turn in transcripts.. are you sending them anyways?

That makes me feel a little better that you aren't planning to start till this summer. I'm not sure me and my GF and roommate will be able to find anything till then either, but I'm still looking.

As for transcripts, I'm not sure. Actually I'm not even sure if I'm in the boat of having to or not. I had to complete physics last quarter and I did, so I don't know if I have to turn in transcripts because of that? Or if current Ohio State students aren't required to turn them in because they'll just get them from the school?

That makes me feel a little better that you aren't planning to start till this summer. I'm not sure me and my GF and roommate will be able to find anything till then either, but I'm still looking.

As for transcripts, I'm not sure. Actually I'm not even sure if I'm in the boat of having to or not. I had to complete physics last quarter and I did, so I don't know if I have to turn in transcripts because of that? Or if current Ohio State students aren't required to turn them in because they'll just get them from the school?

I have a friend who is in the class of 2014 and he didn't start looking until like July and I know he found a nice place. It may be a little harder for me and my two dogs (especially if i run into breed restrictions). Heck I don't even know if i need a room mate or not yet. I should probably start in June.

Had dinner and drinks with RatherBEventing and four other OSU c/o 2015ers! I've not met a single classmate so far that I haven't thought was absolutely awesome :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Had dinner and drinks with RatherBEventing and four other OSU c/o 2015ers! I've not met a single classmate so far that I haven't thought was absolutely awesome :D

that makes me sad....I wish I was still included in that group

that makes me sad....I wish I was still included in that group

:( Yeah me too...I mean, you're still in the "people I've met that are awesome" group but it would be sweet if you were still in the "OSU c/o 2015" group. It's okay though. 5 hours really isn't that long...the footie pajama party is still on :thumbup:

Does anyone know if people has been called off the OSU waitlist yet or when they will start calling people off?

It's okay though. 5 hours really isn't that long...the footie pajama party is still on :thumbup:

You are right, which gives me an idea....
Remember tee-peeing with toilet paper? Well when I was a kid, rival swimteams used to do it every year before our big regional meet. I'm totally gonna come to C-bus and tee-pee your school.

That might be my best idea evvvvveeeerrrrr.

You are right, which gives me an idea....
Remember tee-peeing with toilet paper? Well when I was a kid, rival swimteams used to do it every year before our big regional meet. I'm totally gonna come to C-bus and tee-pee your school.

That might be my best idea evvvvveeeerrrrr.

:thumbup:

::runs out and buys stock in Charmin and a lawn chair... 1700 acres is a lot of ground to cover::

That's fine. When I was in high school my girl friends and I went to one of our guy friend's house in the middle of the night and saran wrapped his car shut. Tightly. He was late for school the next day.

:idea: Maybe I'll saran wrap YOUR school and you won't be able to get in and you'll have to hike over to OSU and have class with all of us!

Does anyone know if people has been called off the OSU waitlist yet or when they will start calling people off?

As far as I know, they haven't started calling people off the waitlist yet, but then again I only know one person on the waitlist personally, so I only know what I hear from her. Hang in there, sirbuckie!!!

As far as I know, they haven't started calling people off the waitlist yet, but then again I only know one person on the waitlist personally, so I only know what I hear from her. Hang in there, sirbuckie!!!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about calling them, but I didn't want to annoy them

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about calling them, but I didn't want to annoy them

I'd give them a call anyway. Everybody is really, really nice-I doubt you're going to annoy them. It's way better than sitting around getting yourself all worked up. I really hope you get good news soon! :xf:

:thumbup:

::runs out and buys stock in Charmin and a lawn chair... 1700 acres is a lot of ground to cover::

How did you know I like Charmin???
Oh, and I meant just the vet school. That's a job one chicken can handle.

That's fine. When I was in high school my girl friends and I went to one of our guy friend's house in the middle of the night and saran wrapped his car shut. Tightly. He was late for school the next day.

That's amazing.
Looks like I might be investing in saran wrap.

Called admissions. they haven't gone down the waitlist very much.. must be a popular year for OSU!

Hey sirbuckie--
I just got called off the waitlist (OOS) and declined--it's moving! :xf: hope you're called soon!

Hey sirbuckie--
I just got called off the waitlist (OOS) and declined--it's moving! :xf: hope you're called soon!

Congrats on getting called off, Goatherd! Care to share what number you were? You can PM me if you'd rather. I have a friend who is on the OOS waitlist and I am really, really hoping she gets in. She'd also appreciate the news!

Thanks Ellie--I was number 10 I think (bad memory). I was so honored to get the call (I really really loved OSU)--I've just already been making arrangements for apartments and whatnot so I decided to stick with my prior decision. It's great to know that my denial means someone more deserving gets a spot! :luck: good luck to your friend!

Hey sirbuckie--

20 more people will have to decline before they get to me... sigghhhh...

Hey OSU people who turned in a scholarship form-watch your mailboxes! I just got a letter today informing me of a scholarship I have recieved! It's not huge by any means, but any little bit of money that I don't have to pay interest on for the next 25 years is awesome in my book!

I got called off the wait-list on the 18th! I thought I was number 10 on the wait list too, but I could be wrong.:/ I'm very excited and I look forward to joining all of you in class next year!:D

I got called off the wait-list on the 18th! I thought I was number 10 on the wait list too, but I could be wrong.:/ I'm very excited and I look forward to joining all of you in class next year!:D

Woooo!!! Congrats! Can't wait to meet you! Did you join the FB page?

WHOO HOO! Congrats!

Thanks! :) And yes! I joined it the other week when Sara sent out the email with the link.

Yay!! That's awesome news.

Does anyone know when we are going to find out how much we are awarded through fafsa?

I'm trying to figure out how much I can spend on monthly rent...Is anyone else using loan money to pay for cost of living?

Budget-wise, I used the numbers they gave us and broke it down for 12 months, rather than the 9 they use because I will be using my 9 months of money to live off of for 12 months. I may get a job, but I'd rather budget to not have one and then get one, rather than budget to have a job and find it to be too much. Jibberish comprehended?

OSU BUDGET
Tuition $25,905
Housing/Meals $8,778 ($731.50/mo)
Rent $4,833 ($402.75/mo)
Utilities $813 ($67.75/mo)
Phone $387 ($32.25/mo)
Groceries $2,745 ($228.75/mo)
Books and Supplies $5,058 ($1686/quarter)
Misc. Living Expenses $8,352 ($696/mo)
Laundry $216 ($18/mo)
Clothing $1,080 ($90/mo)
Transportation $2,448 ($204/mo)
Health Insurance $1,692 ($564/quarter) ($2256 full year)
Misc. Personal $2,916 ($243/mo)
Total Cost of Attendance $48,093
-Tuition -25,905
-12 mos health ins. - 2,256
=Remaining money for year $19,932 = $1,661/month
(for 12 months)

If you look at the bottom numbers, you get a bit of sense of what you'll have to work with. Also, if you are living by yourself rather than with a roommate, you can give Jane Woodland a copy of your lease, showing you are the only one on it and she can authorize an additional $4800 for the year. Granted, you are now taking out an additional $4800, but it can give you some wiggle-room if you need it. And if you find that you don't need the money, you can always lower the amount you borrow.

Thanks Jakesmom & Ellie G! This helps a lot

I thought for some reason we had less than that to work with. I'm just stressing b/c I have a car payment and I will be living on my own.

Last edited:
In case anyone is around Columbus this weekend, OTS (one of the veterinary fraternities) is having a hog roast on Saturday at 6pm at the OTS house on Kenny Road. Class of 2015 gets in FREE. You've probably already gotten a bazillion emails about this but just thought I'd pass on the word! I'm pretty sure I'm going so it would be awesome to see some of you there!

Hey guys, havent been on here in forever.

3 weeks from being done with 1st year and I still love vet school. Its not harder than undergrad, just more work in less time.

Most of the professors are amazing. Keep a look out for DeWille, Krakoka, Dibartola and da Costa. They are the best (even though K3 will scare the poop out of you!)

People are starting to look on FB to start claiming littles. We will probs chose you guys the week after finals or something.

Don't be nervous, dont stress, you DON'T need to buy every textbook, only some (and I'll be selling mine in beautiful condition so keep an eye out for those emails), and remember, you will survive.

See you guys here soooooooon!

Got an email from my big sib! Man, when it rains it pours- we were wondering where all our school stuff was and then all of a sudden we are getting tons of info! Super exciting :-D

We all got our little sibs assigned this weekend, so you guys SHOULD start hearing from your big soon-ish :)

Hey Ohio State 2015ers!
The clinic where I work (and have been working since undergrad) has an position and apartment available. They are located just south of downtown Columbus, about a 15-20 minute drive to campus depending on traffic. It's Great Southern Animal Hospital, and the address is 2685 S. High St, Columbus 43207.

The apartment: 2 good sized bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen w/ pantry (and a dishwasher!), dining area, living room, lots of closet space, small balcony, and a fenced-in backyard. There is also a full attic, but it hasn't been finished. If needed, there is also plenty of storage space in the basement. Parking is off street and there is a garage with room for a smaller car to park in it. The apartment is above the vet clinic, but has a private entrance. Pets are allowed, of course! The clinic was built in the 50's, but the apartment has been updated recently, and is pretty cute. The vet is pretty open to ideas about updating and improving the apartment, so if you're into that sort of thing, you could probably finish the attic and be reimbursed.

The job: After hours cleaning of the clinic (6 days per week), care of hospitalized patients as needed (nothing too complicated, it's a small one doctor hospital so we refer out the really sick kids), and miscellaneous yard and parking lot maintenance (shoveling snow, salting, mowing, spraying weeds, picking up trash as needed)

The deal: FREE RENT! Plus free water, electric, gas, sewer, trash, and local phone. One of the clinic computers has internet access, and you're welcome to use it after business hours. The only utility you'd have to pay for is cable/satellite/your own internet, should you choose to have it. Laundry is located in the basement (shared with the clinic) and is available to you during non-business hours as well.

For the right person/people, this is an amazing opportunity! You can save a lot of money, and gain valuable experience and potentially get a great rec letter out of it. Dr. Sears loves to teach, so if any cool cases come in during the day he'll usually take the time to talk to you all about them. From doing this job myself previously, I can say that you should be a self-motivated hard-worker with attention to detail and pride in your work. It's not a hard job at all, just takes some time and commitment. I would say that you should plan to spend about an hour to an hour and a half on it, depending on the day, less if two are working together. It's a great clinic, with even better people who really care about their jobs. If you think you'd be a good fit, please contact the clinic directly at 614.491.5632, or email Dr. Sears at [email protected].

You can also PM or email ([email protected]) me if you would like more information. :)

Thanks & enjoy the rest of your summer!

Sophie
VME III

I'm glad we could help. I love Ohio State and hope that you have as great of an experience as I did with the university. If you ever are looking for advice about profs in the MPH-VPH program (or are looking for additional resources for courses...), don't hesitate to ask. Recently I got an e-mail to participate in student orientation for the MPH-VPH program.... thought about driving down to C-bus to do it.... not sure yet....

Hi, I was just wondering how competitive the OSU vph program was? I am really interested in it!

Hi, I was just wondering how competitive the OSU vph program was? I am really interested in it!

Moderately competitive. There are approximately 15 people accepted into each cohort year and from what I've heard from past discussions with the program director and the coordinator, there are usually close to 45 applicants every year (some years more, some years less).

The director favors people who have a demonstrated interest in public health and people admitted are often US trained DVM's, military personnel, and foreign trained veterinarians. There are still many people accepted straight out of undergrad who may or may not be pursing vet school. They like to see people who have at least 75th percentiles on the GRE and who have a strong academic performance. Again, demonstrated public health interest and experience is also very important and can make up for grade/GRE deficits.

Reactions: 1 user
Moderately competitive. There are approximately 15 people accepted into each cohort year and from what I've heard from past discussions with the program director and the coordinator, there are usually close to 45 applicants every year (some years more, some years less).

The director favors people who have a demonstrated interest in public health and people admitted are often US trained DVM's, military personnel, and foreign trained veterinarians. There are still many people accepted straight out of undergrad who may or may not be pursing vet school. They like to see people who have at least 75th percentiles on the GRE and who have a strong academic performance. Again, demonstrated public health interest and experience is also very important and can make up for grade/GRE deficits.

Thank you! That has me worried a bit since it's so hard to find veterinary public health experience. Do you know if they prefer in state applicants like how vet schools take a certain number of out of staters?

Thank you! That has me worried a bit since it's so hard to find veterinary public health experience. Do you know if they prefer in state applicants like how vet schools take a certain number of out of staters?

From what I saw over the years, there isn't really any emphasis put on state residency of applicants. By virtue of geography, most people are living in Ohio at time of application, but there are a number of OOS and international applicants every year and the cohorts have been getting increasingly more diverse.

Don't worry about finding VPH experience specifically. Any regulatory/public health/environmental research experience will count (and really no prior PH experience is required to apply). The biggest benefit of experience is that it separates you from quite a number of applicants who have near zero experience in public health- academic and work experiences included. The program attracts a lot of people who use it as leverage into vet school and who have only a mild interest in public health. While many of those students can still do well and complete the program, there are still some people in almost every cohort who just abandon it once they get accepted to vet school and the director really doesn't like that.

I went into the program right after undergrad with a minor in public health and previous work experience with USDA -APHIS. I was a strong candidate despite having a lower GPA and lower qGRE score.

Reactions: 1 user