Ohio Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I saw over the years, there isn't really any emphasis put on state residency of applicants. By virtue of geography, most people are living in Ohio at time of application, but there are a number of OOS and international applicants every year and the cohorts have been getting increasingly more diverse.

Don't worry about finding VPH experience specifically. Any regulatory/public health/environmental research experience will count (and really no prior PH experience is required to apply). The biggest benefit of experience is that it separates you from quite a number of applicants who have near zero experience in public health- academic and work experiences included. The program attracts a lot of people who use it as leverage into vet school and who have only a mild interest in public health. While many of those students can still do well and complete the program, there are still some people in almost every cohort who just abandon it once they get accepted to vet school and the director really doesn't like that.

I went into the program right after undergrad with a minor in public health and previous work experience with USDA -APHIS. I was a strong candidate despite having a lower GPA and lower qGRE score.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats when applying for the vph-mph program? I'm interested in applying for next year. I don't have too much public health experience but I am currently involved in a lab studying infectious disease and parasite ecology and I'm taking a public health course.

Members don't see this ad.

Coming out of undergrad I had a 3.3 cumulative GPA and a 1100 GRE at that time (higher verbal around 86%, lower quant around 50%). I had a 3.7 GPA in the public health minor which included 5 or 6 courses (including stats). I had 500 hours of experience working for the USDA-APHIS-VS and a reference from my USDA supervisor to support my graduate application. I had also met with the program director a few times so he was aware of my interest in the program before I actually applied.

Do you mind if I ask you how you applied for that program (USDA APHIS)?

Do you mind if I ask you how you applied for that program (USDA APHIS)?

From what I remember, it was a temporary position that was posted through USAjobs.gov. The position was specifically an "Animal Health Technician" at APHIS's headquarters in Riverdale, Maryland (DC area) in the National Center for Animal Health Emergency Management. This was back in 2009 and I believe since then there has been some reorganization. I know the USDA still does internships, but they're very vulnerable to funding so every year it's kind of a hit or miss thing.