Ohio c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I decided I couldn't wait any longer and called the office today. Sandra said they have been having computer problems, but was able to look me up online and informed me I have been waitlisted. She also said I should be getting an email tomorrow, so Velaineil and Nordicat you may also get this email tomorrow. I'm not sure how informative the email will be (for example, will we find out what number we are on the list??)...

I suppose I should be happy to hear SOME news, but being an impatient person, this is really hard for me. Keep crossing your fingers all who have not heard, and good luck to everyone!

Hey, thanks for the info! I'm hoping I'm waitlisted since (at the presentations on interview days) they made a point of telling us the waitlist moves quite a bit as people accept cheaper or IS options. At this point, I don't care where I get accepted, as long as I get in SOMEWHERE! :)

:xf::xf::xf: To everyone still waiting! May we all be at the top of the waitlist, and may none of us get rejections! :luck:

Wishing you guys luck! I hope you guys are at the top of the waitlist and don't have to wait long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my waitlist email this morning. Better than a rejection!

Me too!!!!!! I'm super duper excited; I think I stand a REALLY good chance! :love:

E-mail checkin' time, all! :xf:

ETA: For those still waiting, they DO tell you your position on the list!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Me too!!! Gooo wait-listers!!

Good luck waitlisters! I hope they blow throught that list :)

I didn't get one yet. I am trying to work up the nerve to call...

YAY! Waitlist is way better than rejection, especially as OOS because I'm sure they'll work down the waitlist pretty quick. I can think of 3 people just from here that are likely not going to OSU and will free up some spots. Hope you guys wait isn't too long.

YAY WAITLIST! I am so happy!! I hope to possibly be classmates :)

I got accepted to Ohio as an OOS and I really did like the vibe I got from the town and school. I liked it enough to where I have declined interviews to Minn, LSU, Auburn. This is mainly because I am so broke that I can not afford to just travel around to interviews just to see if I get in or not. I know I would chose OSU over all those three schools.

However...I am still waiting to hear from Penn, UC Davis, and my IS school. These schools are ones I am considering over OSU.

What I am trying to get at is that OSU has a very large class with many people offered spots. I know there are tons of highly qualified applicants out there that applied to numerous schools and they will get offers to multiple schools, OSU included. I know there are dozens of acceptancees (not a word! lol) that are holding out!

At the interview info session, Dr. Lord said that she called someone last year just 2 days before the start of classes to offer them a spot!

Either way, dont get your hopes up and keep working hard towards your dreams because they will come true as long as you dedicate yourself! Also, if you get frustrated, just look within yourself to what YOU can do to change things and put yourself in a better position!

Members don't see this ad :)
Either way, dont get your hopes up and keep working hard towards your dreams because they will come true as long as you dedicate yourself! Also, if you get frustrated, just look within yourself to what YOU can do to change things and put yourself in a better position!

Dude, I'm sorry, but I'm getting my freakin' hopes up. :laugh:

I know I know, its easy to sound so optimistic right? Well I still have my hopes up for my IS school and I hear quite a few terror stories about people who get in OOS to other schools but not into this school IS.

I am terrified I am going to be one of those :(

But I have to be glad I am in somewhere! And luckily its Ohio

But I am crossing my fingers for you guys!!!

Quadruple amen?

Has anyone gotten any actual letters yet in addition to their email? For some reason none of the emails they've sent me have gone through, but I guess they mailed a letter last week. I've been stalking the mailman very closely- I only live an hour and a half from OSU, it should definitely not take a week. I'm freaking out a little bit.

Quadruple amen?

Has anyone gotten any actual letters yet in addition to their email? For some reason none of the emails they've sent me have gone through, but I guess they mailed a letter last week. I've been stalking the mailman very closely- I only live an hour and a half from OSU, it should definitely not take a week. I'm freaking out a little bit.

Do you know if you got accepted or waitlisted or what? I haven't gotten any snail mail to speak of...even though they kept telling us they'd send actual letters, that seems to have not been the case for most things! :confused:

Do you know if you got accepted or waitlisted or what? I haven't gotten any snail mail to speak of...even though they kept telling us they'd send actual letters, that seems to have not been the case for most things! :confused:

No- I don't know anything, except that a letter's been mailed. It's terrible! I went to the IT department today to tell them I was missing emails (I've missed some from professors and others also), and they were like "Huh. Well, I'll put it in the system and someone can take a look at it. Should take a few days..."
It's NOT OKAY! :nono:

Dear Applicants, we wanted to touch base with you regarding our admissions notification timeline. It was just brought to our attention that an incorrect notification date of January 6th, 2012 was listed in our “Why Ohio State” booklet. We sincerely regret that we could not meet this deadline. We have an incredibly talented and competitive applicant pool, and we needed to be thoughtful in our decision-making process. We are working very hard to get all notifications out to you by the end of January. We truly appreciate your patience in giving us the opportunity to give every applicant due consideration. In the meantime, if you have questions, please notify the Office of Student Affairs by phone at 614-292-8831 or by email [email protected].

No- I don't know anything, except that a letter's been mailed. It's terrible! I went to the IT department today to tell them I was missing emails (I've missed some from professors and others also), and they were like "Huh. Well, I'll put it in the system and someone can take a look at it. Should take a few days..."
It's NOT OKAY! :nono:

That stinks big time! They wouldn't tell you on the phone what the email said? Hope it's good news :thumbup:.

I just got my official letter on Saturday and I was notified January 4th by email, so I don't think the letters are going out right after the email, I think there's a little bit of a delay.

That stinks big time! They wouldn't tell you on the phone what the email said? Hope it's good news :thumbup:.

I just got my official letter on Saturday and I was notified January 4th by email, so I don't think the letters are going out right after the email, I think there's a little bit of a delay.

When I called the first time (Wednesday), they asked me if I hadn't received an email from them in "the last couple of weeks", then they tried to resend it. Still didn't go through, so I called back yesterday and they told me about the letter in the mail. So... I don't know what to think! :confused:

I just spoke with a woman (whose name I unfortunately didn't catch) in admissions. When I asked how far into the waitlist they usually dip, she told me that it really depends on the year. Some years they don't pull very many alternates, some years they do.

With a spot in the mid-teens, this was pretty sobering for me. It was nice to hear it straight from admissions personnel, though (instead of my own speculation).

I just spoke with a woman (whose name I unfortunately didn't catch) in admissions. When I asked how far into the waitlist they usually dip, she told me that it really depends on the year. Some years they don't pull very many alternates, some years they do.

With a spot in the mid-teens, this was pretty sobering for me. It was nice to hear it straight from admissions personnel, though (instead of my own speculation).

I suppose it depends on what one's definition of "not very many" is, as well. If they generally pull 100 and some years they only pull 50, then 50 would be "not very many" by comparison, no? (this is just pulling numbers out of my rear, btw!)

I suppose it depends on what one's definition of "not very many" is, as well. If they generally pull 100 and some years they only pull 50, then 50 would be "not very many" by comparison, no? (this is just pulling numbers out of my rear, btw!)

Totally. While talking to her, I was torn between the desire to ask for numbers and the secret fear that if I bugged her too much, I would somehow end up off the list. Paranoid? Yes! :laugh:

It's been five days since I got the email, and the suspense is already killing me.

mid-teens? I don't mean to get your hopes up, but I think your chances are pretty good of getting a call. :thumbup:

Good luck! :luck:

Hey, we can both move our waitlist #s up by at LEAST one...oxyjen is going to accept her offer at Penn instead of waiting out OSU (and she was practically right at the top of the list!), and we know Bismarck is going to Penn or Cornell, and there are a few other people on that Official Acceptances thread list that got into Cornell, Penn, their IS schools, etc.

(Is there something I'm missing about Penn, btw? I don't quite understand why they are apparently a huge deal...anyone care to fill me in?)

Hey, we can both move our waitlist #s up by at LEAST one...oxyjen is going to accept her offer at Penn instead of waiting out OSU (and she was practically right at the top of the list!), and we know Bismarck is going to Penn or Cornell, and there are a few other people on that Official Acceptances thread list that got into Cornell, Penn, their IS schools, etc.

(Is there something I'm missing about Penn, btw? I don't quite understand why they are apparently a huge deal...anyone care to fill me in?)

We're movin' on up!! :D
I'm not sure about Penn, maybe it's their IS school?

1. Ivy league
2. Big city (Cornell is only other ivy league with vet school and is in the middle of no where)
3. Pretty Campus
4. Curriculum offers many classes, I even saw pediatrics on their list of electives

I would like to go to Penn, but I am not sure the status thing is worth paying twice the amount of debt. I am not sure that one degree from Penn is worth as much as 2 veterinary degrees...lol. But then again, I wont know how I feel until I get invited to interview. Congrats to all who have been invited and to those accepted as well!

PS I heard this from a woman who's father went to Penn for VMD(I guess this adds number 5 of why Penn is great, you get to be a VMD, not a DVM)
: She got invited to an interview for the VMD program. Prior to the interview, the dean came out and told everyone interviewing there that they are the top most qualified candidates. She said once veeryone got to talking, they all discovered that they had relatives who went to Penn!

I believe this because they ask you on their supplemental card if someone in your family went to Penn. The website even says preference is given to alumni family.

As someone who is the first generation in my family to go to college, this seems SOOO unfair! Ugh! That is life I suppose.

GOOOO BUCKEYES!

Last edited:
I think a much better thing to talk about is why The Ohio State is so great!

I think a much better thing to talk about is why The Ohio State is so great!

Yes! "Big city with a small town feel" is a plus for me! IS tuition after 1st year, awesome facilities (even the lounge in the academic building was beautiful!), systems-based learning, C-bus has consistently been voted one of the top cities for women to live in, and tons more! :love:

Does anyone know if OSU is sending out emails still? I checked my application status on the Buckeye Link and it says I've been accepted :D but I haven't gotten any notification by email or snail mail. I have an interview coming up that I'm considering cancelling because OSU is one of my top choices but I haven't gotten anything "official" like a letter saying I've been accepted.

Hey Nordicat, just something to keep in mind- OSU over-accepts, so even though SDN has lost a few OSU acceptees to others schools, they still may have filled their class. I doubt it's likely, and I hope you get in! Just didn't want it to be a huge let down if it happens.

Hey Nordicat, just something to keep in mind- OSU over-accepts, so even though SDN has lost a few OSU acceptees to others schools, they still may have filled their class. I doubt it's likely, and I hope you get in! Just didn't want it to be a huge let down if it happens.

:( *grumble grumble*

Do you know how many people they over-accept by? I just noticed that their website says that they have 160 spots, up to 100 for IS and 80 for IS. If that means that they over-accept by 20 people.... Well, darn.

Last edited:
Do you know how many people they over-accept by? I just noticed that their website says that they have 160 spots, up to 100 for IS and 80 for IS. If that means that they over-accept by 20 people.... Well, darn.

I don't want to scare anyone, but I think I remember someone saying they accept 300 people for their class (however big that is). I will try to find where I saw this....I'll be back!:)

Here it is, from ttmeow:

.Also, she said that they normally make about 300/400 offers of admissions mainly because it's not the first choice school for a lot of out of staters (this includes people off the waitlist as well).

So, I guess that's not exactly what I said. Maybe their website indicates how many acceptances they make?

If I remember correctly, at interviews they said the class size is 162.

In the end, they end up having made somewhere around 300 offers of admission (because OOS people choose their IS school, etc.).

I was told I'm in a VERY good spot on the waitlist by Student Affairs, so I'm just gonna take their word for it for now. A little :scared:, but still hopin' for that acceptance! :xf:

OSU seemed really good about the April 15th rule and if you're accepted you have until then to notify, so how could they accept 300 people when the class is only gonna be 160 and not know until April 15th who for sure is going? Could be from 0 to 300 people and they can only have 162 in the class. I think they meant that they interview 400 and of those, about 300 are eventually offered a spot, either straight off or through the waitlist. I still think you're in a really really good spot Nordicat! And is that your cat, Nordicat? So big and cute!

Does anyone know if OSU is sending out emails still? I checked my application status on the Buckeye Link and it says I've been accepted :D but I haven't gotten any notification by email or snail mail. I have an interview coming up that I'm considering cancelling because OSU is one of my top choices but I haven't gotten anything "official" like a letter saying I've been accepted.

I have not gotten anything in the mail yet either. I thought it may be because I had my old address in the system and my last apartment complex has not forwarded me anything. I called the admissions office and the woman said she would send me a new one to my new address. I did get a phone call though after my interview inviting me.

I know how you feel! I am so worried about it, I want that damn letter!!! I feel like I can lose my spot or something, so I constantly check the application status page to assure it says I am still admitted! lol

Just give them a call if you really need to hear it and ask about that letter!

Hmmm, I got my letter about a week and a half after the email telling me I was accepted. I wasn't cool enough to get a phone call, but that's OK, I'm just glad they remembered to notify me :D. You might want to call and see if they've sent it yet and give them your address so they can send another one to the right place if they already sent one and you didn't get it.

If I remember correctly, at interviews they said the class size is 162.

In the end, they end up having made somewhere around 300 offers of admission (because OOS people choose their IS school, etc.).

I was told I'm in a VERY good spot on the waitlist by Student Affairs, so I'm just gonna take their word for it for now. A little :scared:, but still hopin' for that acceptance! :xf:

Me, too!:xf:

But squirrelsrule, you were cool enough to get the first interview invite!

True :cool:. I would have preferred to interview later, though, and found out sooner after the interview that I was in. I don't really get the point in an early interview if you don't find out sooner than everyone else that you're accepted. It's all said and done now, though, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome :).

I asked them about the whole "250-300" offers rumor when I was there for my interview. They said the way it works is they send out 162 initial offers and as people decline those offers they send out offers to people on the wait list. So yeah they may send out 250 TOTAL offers but at any one time there are only 162 offers extended.

True :cool:. I would have preferred to interview later, though, and found out sooner after the interview that I was in. I don't really get the point in an early interview if you don't find out sooner than everyone else that you're accepted. It's all said and done now, though, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome :).

Well at least it is not as bad as my experience with FL. I went to the early interview and on the phone they told me how great my application was, etc. Then, at the interview they say they are going to admit 90% of us early applicants and we will know within a few weeks. Well, I happened to be the crappy 10%! Hooray! Now, I have to wait until late Feb after everyone interviews to hear.

Honestly it was a blessing in disguise because it forced me to go to the Ohio interview, and I was so much more prepared due to the practice from FL. I know 4 years in Ohio will be more exciting since I have already lived in Gainesville.

And besides, I don't mind following Urban Meyer to Columbus!

And is that your cat, Nordicat? So big and cute!

Yup, that's my troublemaker, Raiden :) (Pronounced rye-din, after the character in Metal Gear, if anyone is a gamer nerd here! One of my other cats is Link.) He's an F3 Savannah, so he's ~12.5% Serval and the rest domestic kitty. He acts like a cat-dog, though! He weighs about 16# and it's pretty much all muscle. We have to keep our bathrooms shut because he'll shred all the TP! :mad: And hide the paper towels...and bags of food...and pretty much anything, because he'll leave crap alone for months and then decide he wants to destroy it. :rolleyes:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :p

Yup, that's my troublemaker, Raiden :) (Pronounced rye-din, after the character in Metal Gear, if anyone is a gamer nerd here! One of my other cats is Link.) He's an F3 Savannah, so he's ~12.5% Serval and the rest domestic kitty. He acts like a cat-dog, though! He weighs about 16# and it's pretty much all muscle. We have to keep our bathrooms shut because he'll shred all the TP! :mad: And hide the paper towels...and bags of food...and pretty much anything, because he'll leave crap alone for months and then decide he wants to destroy it. :rolleyes:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :p

He is gorgeous! Sounds like the kinda cat I would like to have!