Ohio c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cared for some servals at the petting zoo where I volunteered, they are beautiful cats! Definitely trouble makers though lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not gotten anything in the mail yet either. I thought it may be because I had my old address in the system and my last apartment complex has not forwarded me anything. I called the admissions office and the woman said she would send me a new one to my new address. I did get a phone call though after my interview inviting me.

I know how you feel! I am so worried about it, I want that damn letter!!! I feel like I can lose my spot or something, so I constantly check the application status page to assure it says I am still admitted! lol

Just give them a call if you really need to hear it and ask about that letter!

Hmmm, I got my letter about a week and a half after the email telling me I was accepted. I wasn't cool enough to get a phone call, but that's OK, I'm just glad they remembered to notify me :D. You might want to call and see if they've sent it yet and give them your address so they can send another one to the right place if they already sent one and you didn't get it.

Thanks guys!! My dad called me and let me know that a letter arrived at my house today :D I was constantly checking the application status page too to make sure it still said congratulations!

I just got off the phone with OSU CVM Affairs (spoke with Shayna) and had some questions answered the waitlisters may be interested in:

1) Have you received my alternate status request?
No, but I will mark your file that you sent it.

2) I heard OSU CVM over-accepts. If so, by how many spots?
This year we sent out about 260 offers of admission for about 160 spots. The waitlist begins after those offers of admission.

3) Is there a separate waitlist for IS and OOS candidates?
No, there is one combined waitlist and candidates are ranked according to score.

And of course, the usual regarding how far down the waitlist they go depends on the year, etc...

Right now, my hopes are set on neutral for OSU (I am not way down on the waitlist, but also not in a great spot). I am blessed to have an interview at VMRCVM and am waiting to hear from UC Davis. Since this is my first time applying, I'm really just happy to know that I am a somewhat competitive applicant, and I'm working on my plan B right now to make my app stronger for next year.

Congrats to everyone that got in already, and good luck to the other waitlisters!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got off the phone with OSU CVM Affairs (spoke with Shayna) and had some questions answered the waitlisters may be interested in:

This year we sent out about 260 offers of admission for about 160 spots. The waitlist begins after those offers of admission.

No, there is one combined waitlist and candidates are ranked according to score.

And of course, the usual regarding how far down the waitlist they go depends on the year, etc...

Right now, my hopes are set on neutral for OSU (I am not way down on the waitlist, but also not in a great spot). I am blessed to have an interview at VMRCVM and am waiting to hear from UC Davis. Since this is my first time applying, I'm really just happy to know that I am a somewhat competitive applicant, and I'm working on my plan B right now to make my app stronger for next year.

Congrats to everyone that got in already, and good luck to the other waitlisters!

AAAAAAUUUUGH! Lame! :mad:
I'll cling to my Mizzou acceptance for now, then. At least that's a sure thing...

Man, this is sort of frustrating, isn't it? I feel like one day I go from being hopeful about my waitlist spot to feeling a bit hopeless. When I talked to Shayna she said my spot in the 30's gave me a good chance of getting in, but that seems so strange given that they've already over accepted by 100 spots.

The other thing I don't understand is that even though there is only 1 waitlist and we're apparently ranked, it doesn't really tell the whole story. For example, if an OOS person declines their offer, this does not increase my changes as an IS person because they have to maintain the 100 IS : 62 OOS ratio. So I don't know if that means all OOS people start at #1 and go to let's say #25, or if IS and OOS people are dispersed throughout the list. Either way I'm not really the 30th person in line, I'm maybe #10 for an IS spot. It would be nice to know what my number REALLY is.

Well, I'm with you pepperoncini, I do feel very honored to be given a spot on the waiting list on my first try. OSU offers exit interviews starting sometime in Feb and I will definitely be doing one no matter what. I want to make sure I'm going to get in next time for sure! Although, I have a friend who was rejected from OSU twice and then made it in on his 3rd try from the waitlist. So I have not lost hope yet!

Ok so my logic for the waitlist was NOT correct...Here's an update from Sandra via email:

."After April 15th, once decisions have been made, we will begin calling the waitlist. It doesn't matter who declines, we go straight down the waitlist regardless of in or out of state status. (So your # is where you stand no matter in state or out of state)

. .
.We will only call you if you are offered a seat. If, after April 20, you want to call and see if you've moved on the waitlist, you definitely can.".
Not sure if this makes me feel better or worse, but either way it's nice to get some information! I wish the CVM had a FAQ page that answered a lot of our waitlist woes. It would probably save Sandra and Shayna a lot of time!

Thank you so much for being the one to call admissions. I had been debating about whether I should bug them again, but I know that they're probably really busy right now. It's good to know that they overaccepted by 100 spots, although I'm admittedly less optimistic now. All the waitlisters can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best, I suppose.

Thank you so much for being the one to call admissions. I had been debating about whether I should bug them again, but I know that they're probably really busy right now. It's good to know that they overaccepted by 100 spots, although I'm admittedly less optimistic now. All the waitlisters can do is cross our fingers and hope for the best, I suppose.

You should really thank my wife! She's been pushing me to call admissions since I got waitlisted ;)!

So to clarify: April 15th is the deadline for acceptees to confirm with OSU. Let's say that after that day, only 150 of the 260 people who were admitted confirm that they will be attending. The rest have turned down their admissions offers, or have simply not responded. Does the school assume that all non-responders have turned down their offers, and start calling the waitlist?

So to clarify: April 15th is the deadline for acceptees to confirm with OSU. Let's say that after that day, only 150 of the 260 people who were admitted confirm that they will be attending. The rest have turned down their admissions offers, or have simply not responded. Does the school assume that all non-responders have turned down their offers, and start calling the waitlist?
Yes, if an acceptee does not place a deposit by the 15th, they revoke their spot.

Hey Guys,
I have only really lurked around this site, but with all the talk about the wait list I thought I would chime in.

I was on the wait list 2 years ago. I was OOS and my rank was 17th. Based on what I saw in previous years I was expecting to hear something around the middle of May. I called then to see if my place had changed. I was told I moved from 17 to 11, but the class was filled and they would not be taking anymore students. Obviously I was devastated, but I made plans for how I was going to fill my year.

I received a call in August from Sandra Dawkins offering me a seat! I turned my life upside down, moved out to Columbus, and started classes in 4 weeks. From what I understand I was one of the last people to be accepted into my class.

They do move through the wait list, so don't give up hope!

Hey Guys,
I have only really lurked around this site, but with all the talk about the wait list I thought I would chime in.

I was on the wait list 2 years ago. I was OOS and my rank was 17th. Based on what I saw in previous years I was expecting to hear something around the middle of May. I called then to see if my place had changed. I was told I moved from 17 to 11, but the class was filled and they would not be taking anymore students. Obviously I was devastated, but I made plans for how I was going to fill my year.

I received a call in August from Sandra Dawkins offering me a seat! I turned my life upside down, moved out to Columbus, and started classes in 4 weeks. From what I understand I was one of the last people to be accepted into my class.

They do move through the wait list, so don't give up hope!

Goodness! I'm not sure whether to be filled with hope or dread. My position on the wait list is within a few points of where yours was. At the interview presentations this cycle, we were told that somebody was pulled off of the waitlist a whopping 2 days before class started. I guess the moral of his story, and yours, is that it's not over until it's over. Somebody has to be last. Congratulations on ultimately getting in!

Wow so we dont hear anything until after the deadline? I'm not really one to commit to somewhere else and then reneg when osu comes calling later on. What are other people with other acceptances going to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow so we dont hear anything until after the deadline? I'm not really one to commit to somewhere else and then reneg when osu comes calling later on. What are other people with other acceptances going to do?

When I called, Shayna said that if they find out people are declining their acceptance before April 15th and get to your number on the waitlist, they'll let you know! BUT...she also said a lot of people wait until its closer to the deadline to send in their declinations (that's a word, right?). SOOO...it's hard to say if we'll hear anything before then. :hungover:

Honestly, if I don't hear anything by then, I'm going to have to go with a sure thing rather than the hope that they'll get to me on the waitlist. I'm in the top 5, but hearing about the ~100 overacceptances makes me a bit less optimistic...plus, Mizzou will be a LOT cheaper...:oops:

I don't know that it would be such a terrible thing to commit to a different school, then back out if Ohio calls you during the summer. From the sound of it, there will always be someone desperately waiting for your spot (just as we are desperately waiting for our OSU spots). However, if this were to leave the other school with less than a few weeks to fill your vacated spot.... I'm unsure as to whether this is considered routine or a gross transgression.

I wouldn't want another school to think of me as flakey, but I also wouldn't want to miss out on my dream school because of that fear.

I don't know that it would be such a terrible thing to commit to a different school, then back out if Ohio calls you during the summer. From the sound of it, there will always be someone desperately waiting for your spot (just as we are desperately waiting for our OSU spots). However, if this were to leave the other school with less than a few weeks to fill your vacated spot.... I'm unsure as to whether this is considered routine or a gross transgression.

I wouldn't want another school to think of me as flakey, but I also wouldn't want to miss out on my dream school because of that fear.

It could be considered both??? Most schools make accepted candidates pay a non-refundable deposit by April 15th to hold their spot in the class, so the school likely takes it seriously. However, as long as they fill the class before instruction starts, I would assume it isn't a big deal. The story that got told during the OSU interview regarding a student getting a call off the waitlist 2 days before classes started was mainly a happy one - I don't recall them talking about how frustrated they were with the person who dropped out of the class (for whatever reason) with less than a week until instruction began.

While changing your mind two days before instruction starts may be on the extreme side, I do think a week or two notice is reasonable (gives the school enough time to find that desperately waiting candidate) if it means you go to your dream school! It's a huge decision and I know if I'm spending enough money to purchase a house, I want it to be just right!

Unless anyone has a story about getting blacklisted :eek: from practicing in the state of the vet school they gave less than a month's notice to, I'm all for it.

I would do the same thing as what you're planning to do Nordicat :thumbup:. If you like OSU better (since OSU is the best!) then I'd stick it out for a while and see if you hear something before April 15th. If you don't hear anything, then I'd go with the definite. You want to get your housing and everything sorted out before school too, so if you sit waiting for OSU, that will put housing search on hold because you won't know where you'd be. Plus you would have paid the non-refundable deposit to Missouri, not sure how much it is, so you'll be out that much money if you get into OSU and will then have to pay a deposit at OSU. Tough choice, good luck with whatever you decide!

Leaning towards Ohio out of OSU, Mizzou, and KState...

I liked Columbus better than Columbia...but the tuition difference...aaarrrgh!

I'm worried I'm gonna pick the wrong place and pack up my whole fam and move into a city that's a sh*thole and they'll be stuck there cuz of me. :eek:

Wahoo NStarz, you should totally choose OSU :thumbup:.

Nordicat, give it some time and think about it. You have another 2 months before you have to decide anything. If you like Missouri better, then go for it, but if you're just worried about not getting into OSU off the waitlist, give it some time before notifying Missouri and you never know, maybe OSU will start on the waitlist early. I think if you do NOT choose OSU but like OSU better, you should call them when you decide that because you don't want to be settled in at Missouri and then get a call from OSU calling you off the waitlist and regret your decision to go to Missouri. It's a risk waiting on OSU. Your chances are really good I think, but who knows, they could have a year where they fill the class out of those accepted already and then you'd have to wait another year. It's a tough one, but I'm sure you'll think it through and choose the best thing for your family. Your family will understand, even if Missouri doesn't end up being the awesomest place to be.

...Your family will understand, even if Missouri doesn't end up being the awesomest place to be.

Dude, Missouri totally is the awesomest place to be! It's probably 5-10 deg warmer than Cbus, and it's sunny there all the freakin' time (relatively)! I will not miss Ohio weather, let me just say. :p
Also, Cbus is scary to drive in.

Not saying I wouldn't like Missouri better, although watch out for the ice storms! I am not much of a city person and Missouri has a more small town feel, so I'd be OK with that, but Nordicat really likes Columbus and doesn't think she'll like Missouri as well. Just trying to reassure her that whatever she chooses, her family will understand.

I'm just teasing :p
Nordi, we are all behind you 100%. You are going to do great, no matter where you decide to go! :nod:

:laugh: Thanks, Squirrels & Vela!

I'm just teasing :p
Nordi, we are all behind you 100%. You are going to do great, no matter where you decide to go! :nod:

I think it is safe to say we are all Team Nordicat

and no matter where you go, it will end up working out just right for you :nod:

Sooo...just came back from my Tufts interview, and I'm surprisingly still leaning towards Ohio! I think the opportunities are better for me in my areas of interest at OSU than they are at Tufts (behavior, shelter med).

Couple of questions that have come up for current students (or knowledgeable pre-vets!):

What kind of surgical experience do you guys get (I think there's a course second year introducing you to surgery)? How many actual procedures do you do before you graduate (as part of the curriculum)?

Do you get any clinical experience your first few years as part of the curriculum, or is it mainly restricted to wetlabs?

Do you know if/how the curriculum is going to be changing once you switch to semesters (same or different classes, etc.)?

Thanks <3 <3 <3

Couple of questions that have come up for current students (or knowledgeable pre-vets!):

What kind of surgical experience do you guys get (I think there's a course second year introducing you to surgery)? How many actual procedures do you do before you graduate (as part of the curriculum)? Do you get any clinical experience your first few years as part of the curriculum, or is it mainly restricted to wetlabs? Do you know if/how the curriculum is going to be changing once you switch to semesters (same or different classes, etc.)?

Thanks <3 <3 <3

I was about to post the same thing! Anyone currently going to OSU especially 3rd year students any information would be amazing. You get some ideas from the website but I think coming from the actually students is much better. Thanks for any info :)

I had my post-rejection feedback this morning. The woman I spoke to (Dr. Brandt), said I pretty much fit the profile for students who applied and got in on their second attempt. I think because it was my first high-stakes interview I ended up just blurting out a lot of stuff due to nerves, and not really thinking about what they wanted to know. Anyway, for anyone that didn't get in this year, I'd really encourage you to get your feedback- even if you don't intend to apply again! Dr. Brandt was really nice, and was really helpful in breaking everything down, and even telling you really specific things you could do to increase your scores.
The most interesting thing I learned about the application process is that this year, personal statements weren't scored. I wish we'd have known that earlier, that would have been a load off! :laugh:

I had my post-rejection feedback this morning. The woman I spoke to (Dr. Brandt), said I pretty much fit the profile for students who applied and got in on their second attempt. I think because it was my first high-stakes interview I ended up just blurting out a lot of stuff due to nerves, and not really thinking about what they wanted to know. Anyway, for anyone that didn't get in this year, I'd really encourage you to get your feedback- even if you don't intend to apply again! Dr. Brandt was really nice, and was really helpful in breaking everything down, and even telling you really specific things you could do to increase your scores.
The most interesting thing I learned about the application process is that this year, personal statements weren't scored. I wish we'd have known that earlier, that would have been a load off! :laugh:

I am glad that the exit interview was helpful to you. That is interesting that the personal statements were not scored this year. I wonder what the formula was acceptances/ rejections? You would think that a personal could make or break a borderline applicant.

Is there anyone out there that can summarize the process of establishing residency in Ohio after the first year at OSU? Is it difficult? What does the process entail? I'm from California and highly considering accepting my offer at OSU but I'm a bit worried about committing to the school and then finding out that I can't get in state tuition the last 3 years.

So I've officially decided to become a buckeye in the fall!!!!!

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you all.

Sooo...just came back from my Tufts interview, and I'm surprisingly still leaning towards Ohio! I think the opportunities are better for me in my areas of interest at OSU than they are at Tufts (behavior, shelter med).

What kind of surgical experience do you guys get (I think there's a course second year introducing you to surgery)? How many actual procedures do you do before you graduate (as part of the curriculum)?

Do you get any clinical experience your first few years as part of the curriculum, or is it mainly restricted to wetlabs?

Do you know if/how the curriculum is going to be changing once you switch to semesters (same or different classes, etc.)?

Thanks <3 <3 <3

Hey everyone! I am a first-year OSU vet student and occassionally lurk on SDN when I have the time. Since we have a nice break until our finals and no one else has answered your questions, I'll try to do my best. I am also a Student Ambassador for the College of Veterinary Medicine (a new program that began this year) so I work with Admission during interviews, recruiting events, orientation and Open House. I am also currently working on the Class of 2016's 1st Year Survival Guide. This document will give you the ins and outs of first year and hopefully ease any concerns or anxieties you guys have. It will be available later on this year.

Because we are switching from quarters to semester, you guys will have a slightly different, thoroughly reviewed cirriculum which will now incorporate a clinically-based course for each of your semesters. Most of the courses or topics will be the same but may be in a slightly different order or two courses will be combined. For example now Histo 1 and Histo 2 are just a semester-long Histo course. Some of the systems courses you will begin first year instead of second (ie Musculoskeletal). If you are interested in surgery, you will also have the chance to join OSU's surgery club which has hands-on labs. As for surgery before clinics, I know that for Small Animal Operative Practice 3rd year, a few of my friends have been completing surgeries. For clinics, there are a variety of rotations that should/do involve surgery. One of my friends was in orthopedics recently and was in and out of surgery. When I was shadowing on a Food Animal rotation, I observed students doing surgeries such as castrations and fracture repairs. Hopefully, a third or fourth year will have more insight about specific electives or clinical rotations.

Is there anyone out there that can summarize the process of establishing residency in Ohio after the first year at OSU? Is it difficult? What does the process entail? I'm from California and highly considering accepting my offer at OSU but I'm a bit worried about committing to the school and then finding out that I can't get in state tuition the last 3 years.

The year before I was admitted to OSU's veterinary program, I was granted residency. I am originally from Pennsylvania and moved to Ohio a year before to complete a master's degree from OSU. The application itself is literally a folder with approximately 16 questions on it. You are required to live in Ohio for at least 12 months prior to submitting the form. During that time you must not leave the state for more than 2-3 weeks. Therefore, you must move to Ohio (ie have the date on your lease here) at least 12 months before school starts in the fall of 2013. You must change your drivers license and voter's registration (if you have one) to Ohio. If you own your car, you must also change the plates and title to Ohio. If you are planning on living entirely on loan money, then those changes are pretty much the application. The last question on the application has a list of common yearly expenses...rent, food, utilities, books, tutition...etc and then asks you to estimate how much you spent on them. The total of these costs must not excede your loan amount. You will need to submit copies of your lease, your driver's license, title, voter registration and your loan amount.

If you are planning on living on savings or using some of your savings/money you earn before you move here to pay for your first year, you must be very careful. You can only use money/savings if they have been in your possession at least 12 months prior to moving to Ohio. You CANNOT use or at least claim any money given to you from fall 2012-fall 2013 on your residency application.

Although the residency process might seem daunting, it really isn't. The College of Veterinary Medicine actually has a person designated to help students fill out the application and there are plenty of people who can explain it to you in person. They try to ensure that the application your are submitting is correct and will be accepted. I personally have never heard of a person being denied residency unless they spent the entire summer before living/working in another state or they couldn't account for a ridiculously large amount of money they indicated as income. Also, if for some slim reason, your application is not accepted, you can apply your third year for in-state again.

Here is the website. There is a FAQ section also.

http://registrar.osu.edu/residency/index.asp

I am also currently working on the Class of 2016's 1st Year Survival Guide.

I think I've read this past year's survival guide at least 5 times (I used it as a bit of my interview preparation).

Thanks for all the help! It will be here before we know it!

I think I've read this past year's survival guide at least 5 times (I used it as a bit of my interview preparation).

Me as well! Can't wait for an updated version!

Hey everyone! I am a first-year OSU vet student and occassionally lurk on SDN when I have the time. Since we have a nice break until our finals and no one else has answered your questions, I'll try to do my best. I am also a Student Ambassador for the College of Veterinary Medicine (a new program that began this year) so I work with Admission during interviews, recruiting events, orientation and Open House. I am also currently working on the Class of 2016's 1st Year Survival Guide. This document will give you the ins and outs of first year and hopefully ease any concerns or anxieties you guys have. It will be available later on this year.

Because we are switching from quarters to semester, you guys will have a slightly different, thoroughly reviewed cirriculum which will now incorporate a clinically-based course for each of your semesters. Most of the courses or topics will be the same but may be in a slightly different order or two courses will be combined. For example now Histo 1 and Histo 2 are just a semester-long Histo course. Some of the systems courses you will begin first year instead of second (ie Musculoskeletal). If you are interested in surgery, you will also have the chance to join OSU's surgery club which has hands-on labs. As for surgery before clinics, I know that for Small Animal Operative Practice 3rd year, a few of my friends have been completing surgeries. For clinics, there are a variety of rotations that should/do involve surgery. One of my friends was in orthopedics recently and was in and out of surgery. When I was shadowing on a Food Animal rotation, I observed students doing surgeries such as castrations and fracture repairs. Hopefully, a third or fourth year will have more insight about specific electives or clinical rotations.

Thank you for your insight!!!

Me three and can't wait to see the updated version.

Anything to help you all! OSU is a wonderful school and we can't wait to welcome you all in August. If anyone has any other questions, you can private message me. I know the Columbus area pretty well, have gained residency and am learning about the quarter/semester transition. I'm starting to study for finals so I won't be checking SDN much so a private message will go right to my email.

Does anyone know when would be a good time to call the admissions office? I really want to see if I've moved up on the waitlist, but I don't know if it would be too early.

Does anyone know when would be a good time to call the admissions office? I really want to see if I've moved up on the waitlist, but I don't know if it would be too early.

You can always try, right? The worst thing they can say is no! :)

Just mailed in my papers declining my seat at Ohio State so someone else can enjoy the seat :)