Ohio EM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentEvil

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster on SDN. I have a question. I am applying to several Ohio EM residencies, and was wondering what you guys thought/heard about them. Specifically, Ohio State University, St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center, and Akron General Medical Center. Have you guys rotated through them, know any interns/residents, know ANYTHING about these places? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Word on the street from the EM residents I've worked with is that they all thought Ohio State's program was top notch, and they all ranked it highly among those who visited it.

I interviewed at both St. Vincent and Akron and I liked both programs. They weren't the right fit for myself, and ranked WSU above them both. I have a good friend of mine at St. Vincent and he thinks very highly of the program.
I have heard nothing but positives about each and every program in Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc-
Thanks for your input. I have a question. I have not yet received an interview at WSU, who knows if I ever will. So I pose the question, what was it about AGMC/St. V's that "wasn't quite the right match" for you? Are they more community based than WSU (don't know what environment WSU is, to be honest), less trauma, less didactics... etc?

Both AGMC and St. Vincent are great programs with long histories, but WSU felt better and rotated at 2 trauma centers (miami valley and good samaritan) during your general EM months (not trauma months).(..EM docs at good sam are ALWAYS the first responders during trauma,) so I felt as though the diversity was there. Also, they have well known faculty (Glenn Hamilton and Jim Brown) that really challenge the residents.
I also liked Dayton better than both Toledo and Akron..and it was closer to my home town of Indianapolis as well.
Toledo has an advantage with the extensive "life flight" program and Akron has the best cafeteria I have eaten in!

I don't think you could get a poor education at any of the Ohio Allopathic programs.

If AGMC has the best cafeteria you've ever seen, you must have missed Akron's Summa...bigger and more variety. As for the programs, they're diffenerent and they're rivals, but well trained doctors come from both. Look into both of them.

DocWagner,
Being that you are a DO and in Ohio, what are your thoughts on Ohio DO ER Residencies (esp. Grandview)? I would appreciate your thoughts on any others as well. Thanks in advance.

DO residencies are a different breed when compared to MD. If you like you can send me an email at [email protected]

Bottom line: MD residencies have numerous advantages on virtually every level (very unique to EM).