Ohio resident, 3.9 GPA, 28 mcat, Pro athlete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Super Cereal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might get some in-state love even with what you have. If you think you can get your score up then go for it it will absolutely help, just make sure you get it up because doing worse looks bad. Otherwise apply either broadly to MD schools or take your pick of DO schools. I think there was a pro football player at OSUCOM a couple of years back. But I could be wrong

I think you'll be fine for a number of OH schools if youc an get that MCAT >30. As is, I doubt it. VR 7 is pretty much below the floor for most schools.

As an Ohio resident, what are my chances of getting into a school like Ohio State if I bump up my mcat score to a 31 or 32? Any suggestions on what schools I should apply to if I do end up getting a low-30s score? Would I be competitive for MD schools if my mcat score doesn't increase?

Thanks![/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be fine for a number of OH schools if youc an get that MCAT >30. As is, I doubt it. VR 7 is pretty much below the floor for most schools.

As an Ohio resident, what are my chances of getting into a school like Ohio State if I bump up my mcat score to a 31 or 32? Any suggestions on what schools I should apply to if I do end up getting a low-30s score? Would I be competitive for MD schools if my mcat score doesn't increase?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Am I right in assuming that I have acceptable stats for DO schools? Even with the 7 VR?

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and I need your advice.

I graduated a few years ago from a large state school in Ohio where I played D1 baseball, ended up signing a contract to play professionally in Australia for a year, and then played professionally in Europe for awhile. My ultimate goal has always been to go to medical school following my playing career, and it looks like that time is finally nearing.

I took the MCAT in September 2012 and got a 28 (11 PS, 10 BS, 7 VR), but I plan to retake in May. I'll admit that I underestimated how difficult the MCAT was the first time I took it and didn't prepare well enough, so hopefully next time will be significantly better.

Other EC's:
- 3+ years volunteering at a clinic for disabled children
- 2 summers volunteering at a hospice center
- 2+ years research in a biology lab, got my name on a poster, one presentation at u'grad conference
- 70 hours shadowing a family doc and ortho surgeon
- various other short-term clinical and non-clinical volunteering positions
- various non-medical employment to help support myself while playing in Australia and Europe
- Div. 1 Academic All-American my senior year

Thanks!

Hi there. You're a shoo in for DO schools and can have your veritable pick of the litter. You have a bit more of a problem with MD schools, especially the 7 in VR that places you on the 37th percentile (very low for MD programs). Considering you're an Ohio resident, and Ohio does give a measurable amount of leeway to their applicants, you still have a chance if you play your cards right. If you apply early (first day AMCAS opens in June early), then you'll still have a fighting chance.

I wouldn't be so quick to consider a retake if you're not confidant that you can do better. How did you do on your practice exams? If you score lower, then you've shot yourself in the foot and this may rule you out from MD programs practically speaking.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

You have a decent shot at Toledo, NEOMED, and Wright State already b/c of your GPA and ECs. You'd also have a shot at places like Tulane, RFU, Albany, Drexel, EVMS, and UCF.

For OSU you'd likely need a 31+ (with a 9 or above in each section) to have a decent shot. Their average is 33 so i'd be aiming for a mid 30s score to give yourself the best chance.

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster and I need your advice.

I graduated a few years ago from a large state school in Ohio where I played D1 baseball, ended up signing a contract to play professionally in Australia for a year, and then played professionally in Europe for awhile. My ultimate goal has always been to go to medical school following my playing career, and it looks like that time is finally nearing.

I took the MCAT in September 2012 and got a 28 (11 PS, 10 BS, 7 VR), but I plan to retake in May. I'll admit that I underestimated how difficult the MCAT was the first time I took it and didn't prepare well enough, so hopefully next time will be significantly better.

Other EC's:
- 3+ years volunteering at a clinic for disabled children
- 2+ years research in a biology lab, got my name on a poster, one presentation at u'grad conference
- 70 hours shadowing a family doc and ortho surgeon
- various other short-term clinical and non-clinical volunteering positions
- various non-medical employment to help support myself while playing in Australia and Europe
- Div. 1 Academic All-American my senior year

Thanks!

I know you mentioned Ohio State specifically, but I see it as a slim possibility unless you get the MCAT up. They are closer to 50/50 IS/OOS, so you won't get as much love, and, as others have mentioned, they have a relatively high MCAT (compared to the other public Ohio schools at least). In case you hadn't found it, here is a bit more info on the breakdown for OSU http://medicine.osu.edu/students/admissions/Class Profile/Class Profile.pdf

That being said, between the other Ohio Schools and DO programs, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Good luck!

You have a decent shot at Toledo, NEOMED, and Wright State already b/c of your GPA and ECs. You'd also have a shot at places like Tulane, RFU, Albany, Drexel, EVMS, and UCF.

For OSU you'd likely need a 31+ (with a 9 or above in each section) to have a decent shot. Their average is 33 so i'd be aiming for a mid 30s score to give yourself the best chance.
Not too sure about UCF though since OP is not a FL resident and his MCAT is low. I think UCF median MCAT score is 31

What about the whole pro athlete thing? I feel like that is pretty unique and could very well make up for a low-ish mcat given the OPs phenomenal GPA. No?

If OSU is where you want to go, work incredibly hard to wow them on their secondary. I'm an OOS applicant with a 3.63/29 (lower Lizzy M score than you), and it was my top choice school and they interviewed me the first week possible! I got deferred because my interview didn't go that great, but I'm just saying.

It makes a good story, but a good story is not a substitute for poor academic performance. Now, in your case, for MD schools, the 28 MCAT is right at the floor of acceptable, but fine for any DO program. The 3.9 GPA testifies that you can handle an academic workload while being a student athlete, which is really good. The 7VR for someone whom I assume is a native English speaker can be worrisome.

Not everyone is a sports fan, so just be prepared for people to be underwhelmed. What I'm sensing from your posts here is that you're a little full of yourself, so make sure that attitude does NOT come across in PS and interviews.

On the other hand, THIS impresses me!
3+ years volunteering at a clinic for disabled children

How do you view the whole Div. 1 / pro athlete thing? I plan on emphasizing those experiences on my app, so I'm curious.

Reactions: 1 user
It makes a good story, but a good story is not a substitute for poor academic performance. Now, in your case, for MD schools, the 28 MCAT is right at the floor of acceptable, but fine for any DO program. The 3.9 GPA testifies that you can handle an academic workload while being a student athlete, which is really good. The 7VR for someone whom I assume is a native English speaker can be worrisome.

Not everyone is a sports fan, so just be prepared for people to be underwhelmed. What I'm sensing from your posts here is that you're a little full of yourself, so make sure that attitude does NOT come across in PS and interviews.

On the other hand, THIS impresses me!
3+ years volunteering at a clinic for disabled children

Thanks, Goro. I appreciate your feedback.