Ohio State 2019 hopefuls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowIMetYourPet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen an OSU thread yet!!

OSU is my IS, but I was rejected last year :/

My GPA is higher, my vet hrs are higher, and I'm retaking my GRE to hopefully raise that as well....hopefully I'll get some OSU love this year!!

Who else is hoping they'll be a buckeye for 2015?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I wanted sooooo much to feel confident about applying to OSU. There's something about the school that draws me to it. I just don't see myself getting in there with my stats being the way they are. Hope you get in, though! Send a postcard. :(

I wanted sooooo much to feel confident about applying to OSU. There's something about the school that draws me to it. I just don't see myself getting in there with my stats being the way they are. Hope you get in, though! Send a postcard. :(

If you don't mind me asking, what about your stats makes you think you wont?

Members don't see this ad :)
They're on the low side. Cum: 3.22; Last45: 3.45; Prereq: 3.35; V:159 Q:153. I just don't think I'd be a competitive applicant there.

So excited for you guys!! If you have any questions, just ask! Ill be starting in the Fall!

Reactions: 2 users
They're on the low side. Cum: 3.22; Last45: 3.45; Prereq: 3.35; V:159 Q:153. I just don't think I'd be a competitive applicant there.

:( That was close to what mine was last year, so I feel ya man :/

Well best of luck, where ever you do apply!!

Ohio state is on my radar for now, but like Felix my stats are a little on the lower side.

GO BUCKS!!! When you guys start, I will be in clinics. HOLY SHIZNIT

Came here looking for your post...haha. On a related note I'll be a 3rd year when you guys start...whaaattt?

I'll be a 2nd year at OSU this fall so feel free to ask me any questions!

Stalker. Also, I have a new car, and I'm not telling you what it is :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No worries, I'm sure I'll figure it out as soon as you get back ;)
Pft.

PS. Everyone should come to OSU (assuming you all get in, of course...which you will!). I had a few choices in where to come to vet school and have not regretted my choice for one minute!

Very cool!!!

Are you an Ohio native, or will you be new to the area?!

Im from Ohio!! And don't get too discourage about your stats! My cumulative was 3.5 and my pre-req was about a 3.2. My last 45 was higher (probably like 3.8ish) which included some graduate work in a totally unrelated field. I was waitlisted, then got the call, but I think my interview was a big part of that reason for getting waitlisted. Just make sure you have alot of hours to help make up for the grades. I had close to 3000 hours with equal mixture of large and small animal. Just want you guys to realize, you don't have to have the high GPA to get in!!

I'd be more willing to give them a shot if they didn't require that stupid ETS PPI evaluation. I'm already broke enough as it is due to all the application fees without adding another financial burden. :/

I'd be more willing to give them a shot if they didn't require that stupid ETS PPI evaluation. I'm already broke enough as it is due to all the application fees without adding another financial burden. :/

That's something new. Looking at the ETS PPI and remembering it from other schools I applied to last year, you can send it to 4 schools for free if you signed up for the GRE after May 1, 2009

Oooh that's definitely new. I'm sorry :(

Uuuuuugggghhhh, I didn't know about the ETS PPI.....I would have figured it out eventually, but blaaaaahhhh.......'

I just hate asking for things from people.....I feel like MY applying to vet school shouldn't have to make other people do a bunch of stuff....I always feel bad asking busy people to do even more :/

Looks like another graduate-type thing where you ask other people to evaluate you and you're given a score based on their evaluations. Kinda like a quantitative eLOR.

The ETS PPI is pretty much a mathematical eLOR. Mathematical because based on a few answers your evaluators provide, they give you a score that is somehow supposed to mean that you're a good or bad candidate for the school. In summary: another way to pester your eLOR writers. No thanks.

But VMCAS already has evaluation questions that sound a lot like that...I wish I had known about this earlier, I already had everything settled with my evaluators and now I'll have to add an additional thing for them to do :lame:

Is the ETS PPI now required for Ohio? I've never even heard of this before.

Yeah it says on their website (in the application checklist) that it's required starting with the 2014-2015 application cycle, and that more information is "coming soon". Kind of considering dropping Ohio from my list...I don't really want to have to get my evaluators to do this whole other thing for one school.

Yeah it says on their website (in the application checklist) that it's required starting with the 2014-2015 application cycle, and that more information is "coming soon". Kind of considering dropping Ohio from my list...I don't really want to have to get my evaluators to do this whole other thing for one school.
Same here. I feel bad bugging my eLORs for things already.

Yeah . . . if they required one PPI, maybe I'd do it, but my eLOR writers are department heads and lead vets at large hospitals. They lead busy lives and I felt bad enough asking them to take time to write me the eLORs. I won't bother them to do another method of evaluation for me just for another school, even if it takes only 15mins.

Not gunna lie.... if they weren't my in state....I don't think I would bother either... not because *I* don't want the extra work, but because its not fair to our evaluators....

Ohio state is definitely my top choice at the moment I am hoping my stats are good enough!

Ah! This thread is exciting!!!

I know I haven't started at OSU yet... but if I can help any of you out feel free to ask :)

I think I'm the only IS applicant on this threat atm, but just in case I'm not.... I just wanted to point out that OSU does not evaluate IS and OOS separately..... IS students are vying for the exact same spots as OOS students, no preference is given, they just take the top 162 students from the pile.... which is great if you're an OOS student.... not so great if OSU is your IS ;)

I think I'm the only IS applicant on this threat atm, but just in case I'm not.... I just wanted to point out that OSU does not evaluate IS and OOS separately..... IS students are vying for the exact same spots as OOS students, no preference is given, they just take the top 162 students from the pile.... which is great if you're an OOS student.... not so great if OSU is your IS ;)
I don't think this is exactly true. They do have separate IS and OOS pools. But the number of IS students can vary from year to year. I believe it is usually around half and half.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think this is exactly true. They do have separate IS and OOS pools. But the number of IS students can vary from year to year. I believe it is usually around half and half.

I'm just going off the VMSAR..... for OSU it says, "Residency implications: applicants from all states will be considered. In-state and Put-of state applicants are given equal consideration. We accept the top 162 students. We do accept international applicants"

Now, later on on OSU's page, it says, " Available Seats: resident:up to 100, Non-resident: up to 80"

It sort of contridicts itself, so I suppose you're right, there are in theory 82 seats reserved for residents....I find it odd how they chose to word that.....

I'm just going off the VMSAR..... for OSU it says, "Residency implications: applicants from all states will be considered. In-state and Put-of state applicants are given equal consideration. We accept the top 162 students. We do accept international applicants"

Now, later on on OSU's page, it says, " Available Seats: resident:up to 100, Non-resident: up to 80"

It sort of contridicts itself, so I suppose you're right, there are in theory 82 seats reserved for residents....I find it odd how they chose to word that.....
They just want to confuse the crap out of everyone.

;)

I think I will be applying to OSU this year. I wasn't confident enough to apply last year but my GPA has gone up, I'm retaking the GRE as well as a few advanced science courses at a local uni, and continuing my job at an animal hospital. I just gotta believe that it'll all work out for the best :)

Did anybody else get an email with information to create an account? I did all the steps and have it up and running, but there is nothing on it lol.

Did anybody else get an email with information to create an account? I did all the steps and have it up and running, but there is nothing on it lol.
Did you already submit your VMCAS? I am planning on applying but have received no such email.

Yeah I submitted mine in July, lol I was overly prepared. It's been verified already too, so maybe that is why?

So, has anyone attempted these ETS PPI things? Honestly the whole thing is highly confusing to me, but I would rather get it done now. It says it is due on October 2nd.

I sent the link to three of my evaluators, but I don't think any of them have completed it yet.

Does it have to be to the exact same people from the VMCAS or the supplemental or can it be other people you worked with?

I am not sure. I'm using the same people from my VMCAS. I haven't done the supplemental yet, do I need additional references for the sup?

It was really simple actually, I was surprised. Just some basic questions then they asked you to list three references, one vet and two others.

Their website says they no longer look at VMCAS eLORs and use the ETS PPI reports in place of those, so you don't need to get the same people to do both evaluations.

So you probably should just use the ones who you listed as evaluators on their supplemental? Even though that would be only 3 people?