Ohio State 2019 hopefuls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi so I called Ohio today and they told me it could take a few months to get through the waiting list. They told me last year they called up an applicant to tell him he got accepted the day before classes started. I think you have ten days to commit so that is why it takes awhile depending on where you are on the list.
I called too they told me the 10 day thing too and that on April 15th they only had 7 empty seats and that they called the first seven of the list already. Depending on how many of those accept, they'll be calling more. The numbers aren't looking good right now :( I had so much hope for this list bc they had said that they usually called into the 30's of the list but it seems this year that won't be the case ..I'm feeling heart broken. If it's not this time around it will be another time I guess..

Members don't see this ad.

I already accepted mine, so hopefully they'll call the next person soon!

EDIT: Don't be too discouraged just yet, it's early still and we don't know that every person on the list accepted. Only two of those people are on here, after all. This is my second time applying, so I've been through the ringer before.

I'll see if I can't dig up a little more info.

First of all congratulations to those of you that have been called off the wait list!

Orie93 since I am still waiting to hear as well I feel the same way. I could not have said it better. I definitely thought there would be more open spots. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we will both be called off.

Birdsinmyhouse-Congrats again! Thank you for your positive attitude. But I also don't think they can call anyone just because you accepted. They probably can't call anyone else off the list until someone doesn't accept. I wish you the best of luck in vet school though and hopefully we can be class mates!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all congratulations to those of you that have been called off the wait list!

Orie93 since I am still waiting to hear as well I feel the same way. I could not have said it better. I definitely thought there would be more open spots. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully we will both be called off.

Birdsinmyhouse-Congrats again! Thank you for your positive attitude. But I also don't think they can call anyone just because you accepted. They probably can't call anyone else off the list until someone doesn't accept. I wish you the best of luck in vet school though and hopefully we can be class mates!

What I meant was, I had already accepted mine and so they may still call the next person on the list if there is space. So I wouldn't take the full ten days to decide, which I thought my expedite things if they only called one person then waited for them to accept before calling the next (since it seems like they didn't call everyone at once).

Another thing to consider is this; not all the schools have called their full wait-list yet. So, you could have someone from OOS who got into OSU, but gets a later offer for their IS school. They might lose a deposit, but they'd still rather have in-state tuition. I am not sure how that would work exactly, but I was thinking that was one scenario.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your words and concern. Usually once people get accepted they don't care about the ones left behind but it seems you understand what we are going through. And although I don't wanna latch on 100% to hope your words make me feel better :) @BirdsinMyHouse

Thank you for your words and concern. Usually once people get accepted they don't care about the ones left behind but it seems you understand what we are going through. And although I don't wanna latch on 100% to hope your words make me feel better :) @BirdsinMyHouse

This isn't my first time through the application process, and of course I still care, you're all going to be future colleagues :) Maybe not this year, but someday soon. Keep trying, keep fighting and don't let one "off" year get you down. You got wait-listed, which means they liked you, and you got an interview in the first place, which is a HUGE accomplishment. Take pride in that, take a deep breath and get ready to kick butt next cycle!

Still :xf::xf::xf: for all you guys waiting! Congrats Birds on your acceptance!

This isn't my first time through the application process, and of course I still care, you're all going to be future colleagues :) Maybe not this year, but someday soon. Keep trying, keep fighting and don't let one "off" year get you down. You got wait-listed, which means they liked you, and you got an interview in the first place, which is a HUGE accomplishment. Take pride in that, take a deep breath and get ready to kick butt next cycle!
Thank you for explaining what you meant! I'm sorry that I misunderstood. But I do greatly appreciate your consideration for those of us that are still waiting and your positive encouragement. If you don't mind my asking what did you do that year (or more) between not getting in and applying again/getting in? I'm still working on my plans if I don't get in. Even though I do plan on applying again.

Thank you for explaining what you meant! I'm sorry that I misunderstood. But I do greatly appreciate your consideration for those of us that are still waiting and your positive encouragement. If you don't mind my asking what did you do that year (or more) between not getting in and applying again/getting in? I'm still working on my plans if I don't get in. Even though I do plan on applying again.

So the first step was getting a file review from one of the admissions staff (for several schools). The consensus was the same at all of them; retake as many courses as possible to boost my GPA and science GPA. Because my circumstances were decidedly odd (I'd been in vet school for two semesters before medical problems forced me to withdraw and reapply later), I also needed to know if that coursework would factor in and how it would affect my chances. My file review was sort of different because I had never applied to Ohio State before (the year I would have originally, I could not because I had taken the new GRE and they were not yet taking it since it was very, very new). Shayna Mohr did my file review and was awesome; she even offered to ask the admissions committee if my previous vet school coursework would be counted at all. Since nobody in her experience had gone through this process in that way, they'd need to discuss it at some kind of admissions meeting. She contacted me later and told me they'd decided they could count the vet school work, though I would still need to retake courses and the GRE to be more competitive. She also suggested getting more experience (as much as possible) and more in some of the areas I had less in (equine specific, and to a lesser extent, food animal).

I applied to be a graduate guest student at a local university (not my undergrad one, due to financial reasons) which meant I would not get financial aid, but I had enough saved up (and with some left over loan refund money) to pay for a few courses on my own. Basically I was taking classes at the undergraduate level without the intention to pursue another degree; these classes were the real deal, complete with grades and all, but fewer of them at a time. I think I took 7 or 8 hours during a spring semester (both biology courses; genetics and epidemiology). Genetics was to replace the C grade I got in undergrad, and epi was to help get me to half-time in order to defer my loan payments. Remember, if you are out of school and not enrolled at least half time in classes, you will start to have to repay loans after a while. I got an A in both classes, and signed up for biochem and a general chem course over the summer. Summer courses are sometimes tough because they are over a very short period of time (just 6 weeks a piece in my case). I had class nearly every day and was studying for the next exam nearly all the time. Ended up with an A in biochem (replacing a C+) and B in gen chem II. This added a fair number of course hours to my last 45 hour GPA. After those four courses I could not afford to take more, so I chose to take time off to work and save up money so I could continue to repay my loans, pay for applications and possibly for more coursework should I not get in.

I got my VMCAS done as early as possible, despite difficulties with them regarding my vet school transcripts. Because I had been at a foreign school, they could not verify them and so I ended up having to send them to each school individually (this was free, thank goodness) so they could verify that on their own.

During my OSU interview, one of my interviewers said he was initially a little confused as to why I was there (my GPA was lower than the typical interviewed applicant) but when he saw my grades in vet school and what I had done since being forced to leave, he understood. The fact that I had done well in a professional school curriculum and got very good grades in the undergrad courses I retook demonstrated I could handle vet school coursework. I also think, personally, retaking "hard" courses demonstrates a level of commitment that admissions committees can appreciate.

So, for those looking at reapplying, I would recommend retaking undergrad courses for two reasons: first, because they are generally less expensive than grad school or tech school, and second, because some schools DO replace old grades with new ones. Only apply and go to grad school if the program you're in is a career path you'd be happy spending a significant part of your life in, as it is a substantial investment. Getting a lot of vet experience is important, but the quality of the experience is more important than the number itself. Obviously you want as many hours as you can get, but if the experiences are not informative or valuable, it's not as good for you or your application. Be able to describe in detail what you've seen, done and learned about. Variety is good, but again, quality of experience is super important. I was always told that admissions committees want to see you've explored more of the profession than small animal private practice.

I would also say work on making that personal statement pop. When I compare the one I wrote the first time I applied to the one I wrote most recently, it's a huge difference. Use the explanation statement on VMCAS to discuss extenuating circumstances, but as one admissions person I spoke to said, "don't apologize for the past, own it."

If someone wants to know more specifics about what happened with me in particular, I am happy to answer, but I would prefer to discuss it via PM (though you can see some of the details in some of the Ross threads). I am not exactly a traditional applicant, so my experiences are not typical, but I think some of what I learned in this nearly two year uphill battle can be of use :) I think the most important take away is to never give up.

So the first step was getting a file review from one of the admissions staff (for several schools). The consensus was the same at all of them; retake as many courses as possible to boost my GPA and science GPA. Because my circumstances were decidedly odd (I'd been in vet school for two semesters before medical problems forced me to withdraw and reapply later), I also needed to know if that coursework would factor in and how it would affect my chances. My file review was sort of different because I had never applied to Ohio State before (the year I would have originally, I could not because I had taken the new GRE and they were not yet taking it since it was very, very new). Shayna Mohr did my file review and was awesome; she even offered to ask the admissions committee if my previous vet school coursework would be counted at all. Since nobody in her experience had gone through this process in that way, they'd need to discuss it at some kind of admissions meeting. She contacted me later and told me they'd decided they could count the vet school work, though I would still need to retake courses and the GRE to be more competitive. She also suggested getting more experience (as much as possible) and more in some of the areas I had less in (equine specific, and to a lesser extent, food animal).

I applied to be a graduate guest student at a local university (not my undergrad one, due to financial reasons) which meant I would not get financial aid, but I had enough saved up (and with some left over loan refund money) to pay for a few courses on my own. Basically I was taking classes at the undergraduate level without the intention to pursue another degree; these classes were the real deal, complete with grades and all, but fewer of them at a time. I think I took 7 or 8 hours during a spring semester (both biology courses; genetics and epidemiology). Genetics was to replace the C grade I got in undergrad, and epi was to help get me to half-time in order to defer my loan payments. Remember, if you are out of school and not enrolled at least half time in classes, you will start to have to repay loans after a while. I got an A in both classes, and signed up for biochem and a general chem course over the summer. Summer courses are sometimes tough because they are over a very short period of time (just 6 weeks a piece in my case). I had class nearly every day and was studying for the next exam nearly all the time. Ended up with an A in biochem (replacing a C+) and B in gen chem II. This added a fair number of course hours to my last 45 hour GPA. After those four courses I could not afford to take more, so I chose to take time off to work and save up money so I could continue to repay my loans, pay for applications and possibly for more coursework should I not get in.

I got my VMCAS done as early as possible, despite difficulties with them regarding my vet school transcripts. Because I had been at a foreign school, they could not verify them and so I ended up having to send them to each school individually (this was free, thank goodness) so they could verify that on their own.

During my OSU interview, one of my interviewers said he was initially a little confused as to why I was there (my GPA was lower than the typical interviewed applicant) but when he saw my grades in vet school and what I had done since being forced to leave, he understood. The fact that I had done well in a professional school curriculum and got very good grades in the undergrad courses I retook demonstrated I could handle vet school coursework. I also think, personally, retaking "hard" courses demonstrates a level of commitment that admissions committees can appreciate.

So, for those looking at reapplying, I would recommend retaking undergrad courses for two reasons: first, because they are generally less expensive than grad school or tech school, and second, because some schools DO replace old grades with new ones. Only apply and go to grad school if the program you're in is a career path you'd be happy spending a significant part of your life in, as it is a substantial investment. Getting a lot of vet experience is important, but the quality of the experience is more important than the number itself. Obviously you want as many hours as you can get, but if the experiences are not informative or valuable, it's not as good for you or your application. Be able to describe in detail what you've seen, done and learned about. Variety is good, but again, quality of experience is super important. I was always told that admissions committees want to see you've explored more of the profession than small animal private practice.

I would also say work on making that personal statement pop. When I compare the one I wrote the first time I applied to the one I wrote most recently, it's a huge difference. Use the explanation statement on VMCAS to discuss extenuating circumstances, but as one admissions person I spoke to said, "don't apologize for the past, own it."

If someone wants to know more specifics about what happened with me in particular, I am happy to answer, but I would prefer to discuss it via PM (though you can see some of the details in some of the Ross threads). I am not exactly a traditional applicant, so my experiences are not typical, but I think some of what I learned in this nearly two year uphill battle can be of use :) I think the most important take away is to never give up.
Woahhhhhh!!!!!! You have just given some extremely valuable advise!! Honestly out of all people that are on the wait list I'm very glad you got offered a spot. I may retake some courses in the worst case scenario if I don't get in. I was considering a master's but it's absolutely true it's cheaper and even faster to retake some courses. As much as a dislike physics, if I want this enough, I will suck it up an retake it! Thank you so much!!!! You are awesome and will make a great professional :D

Thank you so much for that amazing advice and for telling us what you've been through. It definitely will help me when deciding what to do if I don't get in. I'm glad you were called off the wait list and are finally going to vet school.

I know the file review will have a lot of effect on what I do, I have gone back and forth between getting a masters or just taking some more classes (in particular the organic chem labs that I opted out of this first time around) or even working full time in a vet office. Your advice has me leaning more to taking some classes while working with a vet part time. And as a side note I have applied for some summer internships that would give me a different experience than I have had before just in case, but also has a general curiosity in those fields.

Once again thank you for your advice, positive words of encouragement, and sharing your experience with us. :)

Woahhhhhh!!!!!! You have just given some extremely valuable advise!! Honestly out of all people that are on the wait list I'm very glad you got offered a spot. I may retake some courses in the worst case scenario if I don't get in. I was considering a master's but it's absolutely true it's cheaper and even faster to retake some courses. As much as a dislike physics, if I want this enough, I will suck it up an retake it! Thank you so much!!!! You are awesome and will make a great professional :D

An important thing to note is that OSU is going to change how they weigh pre-requisite courses for this upcoming cycle: http://vet.osu.edu/education/prerequisites

They don't even list physics on there, though it's obviously an acceptable science elective and it would look impressive if you can retake it and excel (or at least improve). There is a LOT more emphasis being placed on biochem now, as well as micro and physio, which is understandable. As someone who's taken vet school courses, those three are the basis of what you'll be learning about in the first couple of semesters. Physio and biochem are highly interrelated and if you get one, you'll have an easier time getting the other. I also recommend taking an undergraduate immuno course because I know a lot of folks in my class at Ross had a hard time with immunology, and because I had taken it in undergrad, I had a better idea of what was going on. If you can get a physiology-specific course (I know a lot of places teach anatomy and physio together, which is fine) it'll also help a lot.

I didn't mention this in the last post, but you'll also want to economize on your retaken course hours. What I mean is, a 1 hour lab is not going to weigh as much as a 4 hour lecture, even if it's an A. Obviously, every A grade helps, but because of how GPAs are calculated, a lecture will count for more. Some classes require a lab, and that's fine, but if you have to choose between a lab and lecture, pick the lecture. Labs also tend to be time consuming, though sometimes in bio labs the experiences you get are great.

Chemistry is a pain, but it's still a big part of your science GPA, so if you can retake one and do better, do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
One person on here did get called, but we don't know how far into the list she was.

Edit: OMG GUYS, I got in ; . ; I knew I should've checked my e-mail first!

YESSSSSSSS, I WAS SO ROOTING FOR YOU! CONGRATS!!! ....and I'll see you in the fall! ;)

Someone just posted the other day on the class FB page about getting in off the wait-list. It could be someone who got in before and just now joined, but they way they phrased things made it sound like it just happened.

So..... I got a call from April today.... of course, this is the ONE DAY IN EVER I forget my phone.... I didn't get home from work until 7pm... She left a message asking me to call her back, but didn't say what it was about.... I did and left a message.... and will call again first thing in the am....... I'm trying not to get my hopes up.....

Reactions: 3 users
So..... I got a call from April today.... of course, this is the ONE DAY IN EVER I forget my phone.... I didn't get home from work until 7pm... She left a message asking me to call her back, but didn't say what it was about.... I did and left a message.... and will call again first thing in the am....... I'm trying not to get my hopes up.....
Not to falsely get your hopes up....

But admissions normally only call if there's good news...

So I'm not saying you should celebrate... but maybe you should get ready to celebrate :D

Reactions: 2 users
!!!!!!

OMG YAY :D Welcome to the class! I was looking at some of the most popular apartments today, so if you've got questions, let me know!

Thanks guys!! I'm on cloud 9!!!!!

Let me know if you find a place that's really super nice :)

also, how do people typically go about finding roomates? I would prefer to live alone (because I have two dogs coming with me and with dogs its just....easier) but I have also loved living with my roomates in the past, plus it would help my budget tremendously :)

Thanks guys!! I'm on cloud 9!!!!!

Let me know if you find a place that's really super nice :)

also, how do people typically go about finding roomates? I would prefer to live alone (because I have two dogs coming with me and with dogs its just....easier) but I have also loved living with my roomates in the past, plus it would help my budget tremendously :)
There's a roommate google doc on the OSU c/0 2019 facebook page. Should help you out if you want a roommate :)

I am so incredibly happy for you--I know how much you wanted this. Let me know if you have any ?s about OSU :) Really enjoying clinics so far!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/410977579058871/

I would start looking at some of the recommended locations on the incoming class page on the official CVM website. Yesterday I looked at Fox & Hounds, Governour's square and Runaway Bay... the first two are very quiet and popular with vet students. One bedroom places tend to go fast (one literally sold while we were in the office of one place, some people came in and bought one right there). More will become available as the summer goes on, but if you're like me and like some certainty, it doesn't hurt to start asking now.

If you look at Governour's Square, ask for Corben, he was very helpful and made sure to show us some of the actual units, not just the model. Plus, if you tell them I referred you, you can maybe get some money off the first month's rent (if you go with that place, I'll PM you my info) They actually have a really good deal on a 2-bedroom right now, it's nearly as cheap as a one bedroom and the price will not double if you don't find a roomie right away.

Alex was the person I spoke to at Fox & Hounds :)

So, what has everyone done as far as laptops go? Any must have toys to load on them? Any thing to avoid?