Ohio State c/o 2016- Attending only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess my acceptance fee will have to wait until Tuesday. Super excited to have just about everything squared away though :). I already have my rabies pre-exposure shots too :), so I am just about set with that stuff too :).

Members don't see this ad.

I guess my acceptance fee will have to wait until Tuesday. Super excited to have just about everything squared away though :). I already have my rabies pre-exposure shots too :), so I am just about set with that stuff too :).

Don't forget a tetanus and a TB test too, if you're not UTD on those. Though I don't know how recent the TB test has to be so you might want to wait on that one.

Congrats on finding an apartment! Sounds like you're way ahead of the game!

WAHOOO! Congrats OH bunny girl, so excited for you.

Excited for you too Squirrels! It doesn't seem like it took you long to receive your attendance packet :)

Oh, and I was talking with a Dental student friend and he said that Stadium View and other places in the vicinity of campus are party-town/undergrad-ville. (He also called that Target the "hot-girl Target" if that tells you anything.) I'm looking at places in the Governor's Square/Upper Arlington areas. My problem will be my 70lb lab mix who is scared of everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Upper Arlington area is nice, but also really expensive. Since you're married, you can probably swing that, but if you're looking to get away a little and save some money, I'd look into the Worthington area, seems like a great town with apartments sprinkled throughout. Unfortunately the one I picked has a 25 pound weight limit on dogs. There was one across the street that was very nice too but didn't have air conditioning :(, but their weight limit was 45 pounds so your dog is still too big.

Just did a quick search, and found this one: http://www.apartments.com/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=161975.3&SearchCriteria=cRc4KfCLKmr19Gw42F2o-|M-|rVxndIO5MiJbPr2aoyn5V4oma3czR85qTzNkCoWZnJMjhqA3RIoBs3CjWx7dtdx2ex8P6Uvxj5yKl3I2UbBIKtFOlnbg-|CHenBZWvIiXoMS-|sKqMngSXftu2bQpNwWx9bzJnYJWGC%2fmxVnEB1tGzyH7tT2%2fai9EZrUB%2f7tfOq48JciB9i-|AE%3d&prvpg=9&sid=1078757a-0c36-41cf-9ff2-2d180fcd66f7&stype=CityStateOrZip&productId=P&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem Allows larger dogs and looks really nice. Decent price too. It's a 3 minute drive from the place I picked out. Would be 17 minutes from vet school.

I feel like I am always super early with everything. I worry I will miss out and end up in a horrible apartment in a bad part of town or will not find anything at all :eek:. I prefer to be over prepared and know I have it taken care of :). Actually got myself a big floor mat today too for my new place. Am I a little excited, yes :D.

I am current on my tetanus shot, but will have to get the Tuberculosis skin test, will wait till closer to school starting for that :thumbup:.

Excited for you too Squirrels! It doesn't seem like it took you long to receive your attendance packet :)

Oh, and I was talking with a Dental student friend and he said that Stadium View and other places in the vicinity of campus are party-town/undergrad-ville. (He also called that Target the "hot-girl Target" if that tells you anything.) I'm looking at places in the Governor's Square/Upper Arlington areas. My problem will be my 70lb lab mix who is scared of everything.

That makes me glad I didn't choose The Heritage then. I think I'll love the apartment I choose and if it turns out to be too far away, then I can be looking for somewhere closer to move to for second year. I think 15 minutes out will be perfect though.

For those wondering about how soon to start looking.... I got a lot of oh we aren't looking at August yet, check back in May or June from the 10 minute or more from campus places. The ones right near campus are definitely looking at June now, but there is still plenty of time (I think Stadium told me to try and notify by March and Heritage said to let them know by April or May if I wanted to be pretty confident about getting the room I wanted, which was Studios and one bedrooms). The one I am going with in Worthington is doing leases now for August, but she said as long as I notified by the beginning of June she was confident there would be one bedrooms available.

Hello,
Since it seems like most of you are from out of town I thought I'd warn you about the traffic. My friend in our masters program lives in Worthington and depending on when she leaves campus it takes her at least 40 minutes to get home. Basically if you have to get on the highway to come to school you need to plan on being in traffic a lot. C-bus is currently doing a major highway renovation and a lot of exits are being shut down, also it seems no one can drive here so there's always an accident. Worthington is a really nice area though! Highbanks metropark is a great place to hike dogs!

Thanks for that bit of info. bazinga. Does it usually take 40 minutes to get into school to?

I did see there was some construction going on, my tom tom was getting a little confused lol.

I forgot to mention in my timing for looking for a place post that if you are looking for something offered in the off campus undergrad housing area, you'll need to get on it like now. There was a decent place on Neil Avenue, but I decided against it because it looks really busy around the apartment and would probably be pretty noisy. The lady I talked to at the housing fair from that apartment said that they'd be out of available apartments by the middle of Feb. for sure. I'm guessing most of the places around there are the same way, so if you're looking at undergrad type housing southeast of vet school, you'll need to get on it because that stuff won't be available long.

What part of Worthington is your friend in? The park is 7 miles north of where my apartment is (looks really nice and has lots of good reviews!) so I'm thinking maybe your friend is up a lot further North than where I am looking, maybe? Do you think taking North High street down would be a better way to go? Mapquest says that route would take 24 minutes, so a little longer, but if traffic flows better that way it might be the way to go? We didn't have any trouble getting around in rush hour on Friday, but obviously that was just one day.

I will be moving to Columbus from out of town. And I've heard that basically the city shuts down when it snows, even if it's just an inch.

When I visited for my interview, I stayed with a friend in Obetz (south of the city) and took highways in during morning rush hour, and while there was traffic, I didn't think it was too bad.

squirrelsrule she lives about 5 miles from the park. normally it takes her about 20-25 min on the highway, but she makes sure to leave before or after rush hour. I know there have been a few times she got caught in traffic for a long time though and I've had many classmates late to class due to accidents. you just need to be able to maneuver your schedule around rush hour. really that's for everywhere though, I live in Grandview Heights ~3 miles from the campus and its taken me 25 minutes to get home. Bunny Girl, it may not be that bad, people do tend to talk more about the negative than the positive. I know a lot of vet students live in Worthington, UA, and other areas that take the highway so it works, I just wanted to give you guys a little heads up so you aren't surprised. Oh and I avoid High St like its the plague, mainly because the closer you get the campus the more likely you are to hit a pedestrian. They like to dart out in front of your car, not too bright.
Bunny Girl it is a little crazy how poorly everyone drives with the little bit of snow we get. I try to tell myself its out of state students so I'm more patient with them. :)

squirrelsrule she lives about 5 miles from the park. normally it takes her about 20-25 min on the highway, but she makes sure to leave before or after rush hour. I know there have been a few times she got caught in traffic for a long time though and I've had many classmates late to class due to accidents. you just need to be able to maneuver your schedule around rush hour. really that's for everywhere though, I live in Grandview Heights ~3 miles from the campus and its taken me 25 minutes to get home. Bunny Girl, it may not be that bad, people do tend to talk more about the negative than the positive. I know a lot of vet students live in Worthington, UA, and other areas that take the highway so it works, I just wanted to give you guys a little heads up so you aren't surprised. Oh and I avoid High St like its the plague, mainly because the closer you get the campus the more likely you are to hit a pedestrian. They like to dart out in front of your car, not too bright.
Bunny Girl it is a little crazy how poorly everyone drives with the little bit of snow we get. I try to tell myself its out of state students so I'm more patient with them. :)

Funny that you say that, we went to the housing fair and the students around campus are NUTS! They don't even look, just walk right into the street. I am shocked people don't get run over on a regular basis (or do they :eek:). The drivers seemed equally crazy, pulling right out in front of us!

True about them and snow too. I'm from Northeast Ohio (we got 17 inches of snow this weekend!) and the weather was bad the hole way down and we had to go 45-50 most of the way, then we get to Columbus and the roads are almost completely clear and it isn't snowing, so we go up to the speed limit. There were people all over the place going like 30 with their flashers on :laugh:.

Thanks for all your tips bazinga. Hopefully the traffic isn't too bad most of the time :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful, too. A lot of the places around here have waiting lists already! :/ I am getting a 1BR at Water's Edge Apartments. It's a 15 minute drive and allows cats only, but it is a super quiet, gated community with lots of amenities.

Do you know how long it would take to get out to Water's Edge Apartments. It's close to downtown & Bexley...

Just wondering who all from here is on the Facebook group. I'm on there, my name is Lynn.

Hey guys, I just got my acceptance email from Ohio State and I am definitely attending!! I am IS from Northeast Ohio ( where in northeast ohio are you from Squirrels?) Anyway I am joining the facebook group and can't wait to get to know everyone!

WAHOO, welcome to our group and congrats on getting accepted! I am from Lake County, up near the lake. There are quite a few of us from Northeast Ohio :thumbup:

Hey guys,
I guess im not "technically" supposed to be posting on this thread as I haven't officially dove in and accepted my offer to THE Ohio State University, but I did want to chime in with some house tips seeing that I've lived in Cbus for 5 yrs now (did my undergrad at OSU).
Housing suggestions:
Places to avoid- immediate campus vicinity (mainly east and north of High St)... this is HIGH undergrad area and yes they are extremely active 24/7. Even as an undergrad I avoided living in these areas as they're dirty, smelly and have a much higher crime rate. However come game day it's definitely a fun place to tailgate!
My suggestions are Grandview area, south campus or further north campus (such as the Clintonville area) Relying on the highway to get to class will most likely make you miserable :/ I currently live in Heritage Apts (grandview area) and it takes my an average of 8min to arrive and park at the Vet School... super nice esp in the winter and you can even walk to the campus bus line on game day or just for fun when the weather is nice. Other places in that area are Runaway Bay (quite economical) and the Quarry (super nice, super expensive) all of which allow pets. I've also lived just south of campus which was nice. Parking is mainly on-street which is hazardous to your mirrors at times but the area is FULL of professional students aka TONS of dental, vet, pharmacy and med students so it stays pretty quiet. I also know a few people who found reasonable apts in Clintonville which is mroe residential with people that have real jobs so it stays tame as well.
Sorry it's such a long post but just wanted to help out! Please feel free to PM me or let me know when you're in town bc I'd love to show people around the amazing city I've called home for 5 years! Congrats to everyone and you'll love OSU!

Hey guys, I just got my acceptance email from Ohio State and I am definitely attending!! I am IS from Northeast Ohio ( where in northeast ohio are you from Squirrels?) Anyway I am joining the facebook group and can't wait to get to know everyone!

Congrats! I'm from NE Ohio as well. Now that there are more of us, we will definitely have to plan a meetup of some sort.

Hey I got accepted to The Ohio State CVM 2016 on January 4th and i am just waiting to send in my deposit! I am from New York and am excited to move to Ohio. Could anyone tell me if Heritage Apartment is in a nicer part of Columbus?

Hey I have lived in Heritage Apartments for 3 years now. It's really convenient to the vet school, has its own pool, 24 hr gym, and is pet friendly. I'd definitely recommend it. Although don't eave any valuables in your car because, just like everywhere else in this city, car break in's have been known to happen.

Hey I have lived in Heritage Apartments for 3 years now. It's really convenient to the vet school, has its own pool, 24 hr gym, and is pet friendly. I'd definitely recommend it. Although don't eave any valuables in your car because, just like everywhere else in this city, car break in's have been known to happen.

May I ask what your rent is?

We are having a get together in Willoughby tomorrow afternoon :soexcited:. It is posted on the facebook group, but if anyone here doesn't facebook and is interested in attending, PM me for details. Super excited to meet some of my future classmates tomorrow :D

Hey guys,
Congrats on picking OSU! First year isn't bad at all.... I think you guys will have some fun (now second year is another story :p.) I'm a third year at OSU and wanted to chime in on the apartment discussion. I live alone in a 2 bedroom apartment in a safe area (Upper Arlington, Dierker Rd) with my cat and 70 pound dog. My rent with 2 pets is $550/month. There are definitely some bully breeds that live in the complex, so I don't think they're too picky about that. I'm 10-15 minutes from campus and am pretty happy about the location. I've heard maintenance is kind of hit or miss, but management has never given me an issue. Lots of off street parking. It is quiet too. Anything on Dierker, Governours Square, Fox and Hound, Runaway Bay, Quarry, Weybridge, Stadium View, Harvard Square are all places that I've seen and I like, but I didn't like Olentangy Commons (IMO rip you off for the price, loud) and I really didn't like Heritage (parking sucks, loud, apartments are $$ and teeny.) I also stayed away from campus and anything near Riverview Drive which is off of Olentangy... places are cheap, but dark and dumpy in my experience. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the info Duncan! I have been warned that having a 70lb dog may give me problems, so I will definitely check out that area.

May I ask what your rent is?

I pay $425/mo for a renovated (aka brand new everything) 2 bedroom unit with washer/dryer in-unit. The rent includes your internet and cable (with HD channels), access to 24 hr fitness center, and the on-site pool. I don't think it's $$ for it's location to campus, parking has never personally been an issue for me in the 3 yrs I've been there and most internet cable packages are ~$90/mo anyways so its nice it's included. I've also had pets there for all 3 yrs but when I signed my lease I just said I was "interested in pets but didn't have any yet." Aka I don't pay the pet deposit or fee (which most people don't) but said I was interested in case they find out about my dog and cat, although I've even had maintenance come on several occasions and still no one has said anything to me. Also, the unit across from me has a pit bull and no one minds it one bit. Some of the units can be pretty small so for large breeds it could be a bit cramped, but my cat and 40# dog appear to have plenty of room. As far as noise, I've heard my upstairs neighbor singing in the shower twice and can sometimes hear them walking around but otherwise it's super quiet. There's a lot of older people living here as well as college kids, and most students that live here are out here to avoid the noise of campus in the first place. Happy house hunting!

I pay $425/mo for a renovated (aka brand new everything) 2 bedroom unit with washer/dryer in-unit. The rent includes your internet and cable (with HD channels), access to 24 hr fitness center, and the on-site pool. I don't think it's $$ for it's location to campus, parking has never personally been an issue for me in the 3 yrs I've been there and most internet cable packages are ~$90/mo anyways so its nice it's included. I've also had pets there for all 3 yrs but when I signed my lease I just said I was "interested in pets but didn't have any yet." Aka I don't pay the pet deposit or fee (which most people don't) but said I was interested in case they find out about my dog and cat, although I've even had maintenance come on several occasions and still no one has said anything to me. Also, the unit across from me has a pit bull and no one minds it one bit. Some of the units can be pretty small so for large breeds it could be a bit cramped, but my cat and 40# dog appear to have plenty of room. As far as noise, I've heard my upstairs neighbor singing in the shower twice and can sometimes hear them walking around but otherwise it's super quiet. There's a lot of older people living here as well as college kids, and most students that live here are out here to avoid the noise of campus in the first place. Happy house hunting!

I assume you have a roommate or 2? I checked out Herritage and it was gonna be $699 a month for a studio converted to a one bedroom and was only like 370 square feet. Was really nice, but for the price, just not worth it for me.

Has anyone looked into getting the rabies vaccine series before school starts? I work at a Univ who gives them to employees if it's required by their job description, but not to other employees for other purposes (the nurse told me they have to special order them, so basically NO). Is it worth it to try to find somewhere or just wait until school starts?

Or maybe I should find out if my health insurance will cover it first??

I got my rabies preexposure shots when I started taking in rabies vector species ( bats :love:). I got mine at the health department, but they were expensive. My insurance wouldn't cover it and I had pretty good insurance at the time. I wasn't planning to go to vet school at the time, though, so maybe that would have made it so it was covered. Here is what the 1st year survival guide (which also has the info. about joining CVM chat thing we talked about at lunch) says about the rabies vaccinations:

Rabies Vaccinations: Questions regarding any health requirements can be addressed to [email protected], (614) 292-0146 or (614) 292-0150. The best advice we can offer is to obtain your rabies vaccinations before you get here. It‘s not a big deal if you don‘t, just an expensive deal (and some people report that they don‘t feel 100% for a day or two after the vaccines so you may want to consider that when scheduling this series of vaccines). Most insurance companies will not cover the series, so if yours does, take advantage of it! Rabies immunization is a series of 3 vaccines-and the latest information that we were provided indicated that EACH vaccine dose costs $221.00 (yep, that‘s $663.00 for the entire series) if obtained through the Wilce Student Health Center. If you contact your local health department andthey quote you a cost of less than $663.00 for the series, then consider having the series done there. (Because cost information is subject to change, you are encouraged to call the OSU Student Health Center for an up-to-date and accurate price quote). Talk to your employer, family doc, or anyone else you might know to see if you can get the series cheaper elsewhere. Keep in mind that the series entails 3 shots. The 2nd shot is given 7 days after the first. The 3rd shot is given 21 days after the first. So plan accordingly!!!!! If you have already had the vaccination series, you will only need a titer test and possible booster. The cost for the rabies titer through the Wilce Student Health Center is $60.00. Any student who has gotten the rabies series prior to entering vet school must FAX documentation of this to Susie Baker, PM Coordinator, at 614-292-6001. The College of Veterinary Medicine requires full vaccination by the end of your first year, and then they have titer tests run before you enter clinics - the time you truly need the benefits of the vaccinations. The school is not particular about where the vaccinations come from, just that you have documentation that you have received them. Please be aware that there is a process you can follow if you choose to decline receiving the rabies vaccines. However, there will be times when you may be exposed and rabies is not a disease you want to take a risk of contracting.

Thanks Squirrels :)

Do you remember how much yours was? The CCBH Website is not very helpful. I should just call.

Just so you know, the scheduling people typically fit your rabies vaccines into your first year schedule, including all the boosters, so most of the class trots on down to the health clinic together to get that done. I wouldn't stress about getting it before school if you don't have to. Can't speak about price because I had the post-exposure series before vet school, which my insurance happened to cover.

Hey guys, I have a housing questions I'd like to ask. I am planning to live alone so safety is a big issue for me. The gated communities appealed to me (Runaway Bay, and Water's Edge apartments), does anyone have any personal experiences or have heard anything about them? Would you know if I would have to get on the highway to get to campus if I were to decide to live there? And approximately how long it takes? I would like to live in a safe place where there are good parking while not having to spend too much time in traffic.

Are there other safe (no breaking into cars) places to live that is recommend? Thanks so much! :)

Just so you know, the scheduling people typically fit your rabies vaccines into your first year schedule, including all the boosters, so most of the class trots on down to the health clinic together to get that done. I wouldn't stress about getting it before school if you don't have to. Can't speak about price because I had the post-exposure series before vet school, which my insurance happened to cover.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to see if my insurance will cover it (before I give up having decent insurance).

After finding apartmentratings.com it looks like I am going to be switching apartment complexes. The things said about the apartment I choose :eek:, not somewhere I wanna live. So, I'm thinking of staying at The Heritage. Apartment ratings is only 11% recommended, but nothing because of violence or drugs and I liked what I saw when I went there and it's recommended by vet students, so I think I'm gonna go with it. Anyone else staying in The Heritage or know if it's nice or not?

Squirrels, it's funny (but not really funny) that you mention that b/c I checked out the complex you mentioned above just this past weekend and it was really sketchy... And not just the leasing staff, but the overall neighborhood was less than desirable. I would not be comfortable walking my dog at 10pm in that neighborhood.

Yeah, I think my dad and I saw the giant eagle and hotel across the street and were like this is a nice place, or not :laugh:. Just glad I found out and decided before signing the lease. I think I'll stick with the recommended by vet students list :). Might pay a little more, but at least I shouldn't get shot taking my dog out to go to the bathroom! Sorry for recommending an apartment in a bad part of town to you.

Actually the place, and neighborhood, reminded me of my first apartment after undergrad when I only had bunnies. But now that I would be walking around more I am willing to pay for a more secure place.

And it was a combination of sketchy neighborhood and unfriendly staff that turned me off.

Cheers to both of us for finding safe places to walk our dogs!

Oh, and while I was in C-bus this past weekend we checked out the Wheeler Park Dog Park and my pup had a blast. It was maybe a 10 minute drive from campus and everyone (and dogs) were really nice. My only gripe was that there was only one "doggie" entrance with double gates, and multiple single gates where dogs could've easily escaped.

So, where did you end up deciding on staying?

I'm leaning towards Fox & Hounds off of Kenny Rd. I haven't put a deposit or application in yet (I have to wait until payday) but I really liked the area and the amenities. The apartments are on the smaller size but I've also talked to a few friends or friends of friends and I've heard good things about the complex. And they take big dogs, which was my number one requirement.

I have four on my list right now, based on the list OSU provided. I'm going to look next week :)

-Runaway Bay
-Governour's Square (though heard it was booked up already for august...)
-Water's Edge
-Heritage

I've heard good things about Runaway Bay as well, they even have a dog park in the complex!

Good luck on your search!

I just put in a deposit for fox and hounds. One of the ladies there said they are getting close to having too many ppl on the list. I would act fast if you want to get in

I got approved, I'm gonna be staying at the Heritage :soexcited:. So excited! I already have my apartment assignment :). I'm gonna be staying in a studio (they have 350 square foot studios (I know tiny, but if you're living alone and plan to spend much of your time studying, it's really not bad) for just $699 a month and that includes gas, electric, and trash in rent, you just have to pay $20 for water and $25 for a pet if you're bringing a pet) on the third floor :). Also included in rent (for all apartments in Heritage) is high speed internet and cable.

Anyone else choosing the Heritage? Seems like an awesome complex.

Oh, and my move in date is August 1st.

Hey everyone I will also be attending OSU in the fall for the class of 2016. Just wanted to get to know some of my classmates!!:)

Has anyone looked at The Quarry? They seem to be bigger and nicer than some of the others, like Runaway Bay, for around the same price, almost at least.
As soon as I can fly out, I will be looking at :
The Quarry
Fox and Hound
Heritage

It is so hard to make any decisions without seeing it first!

Has anyone looked at The Quarry? They seem to be bigger and nicer than some of the others, like Runaway Bay, for around the same price, almost at least.
As soon as I can fly out, I will be looking at :
The Quarry
Fox and Hound
Heritage

It is so hard to make any decisions without seeing it first!

I toured the Quarry this past weekend. I wasn't really that impressed, TBH. Their facilities are beautiful, but I feel like they nickel and dime you for everything. They wouldn't answer questions about safety, the breakdown of their renters, or noise. They only wanted "serious applicants" to be put on their waitlist and you needed to sign up with a 600 nonrefundable deposit. My roommate and I decided on Runaway Bay, which shares their lake. HTH. I think you definitely need to wait to see the complexes before making a decision--I thought I would really like certain places and wasn't that impressed when I saw them in person.

Good luck!

Congrats on choosing a place NStarz. Now for August to just be here already, j/k sorta. I'm gonna enjoy this summer, just hoping the warm weather comes back soon.