Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are two separate lists.

Interesting. That wasn't (to my knowledge) the case last year? Thanks for clarifying.

Members don't see this ad.

There are two separate lists.

They stated so during one of the presentations on the day I interviewed. They must have not clarified on every interview day though...since a lot of people have been asking the same thing :shrug:

Thanks, if they mentioned it on my interview day I must have missed it. Do you remember them saying anything about how much they over accepted by?

Thanks, if they mentioned it on my interview day I must have missed it. Do you remember them saying anything about how much they over accepted by?
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure. I remember someone posting about that earlier in this thread. Ohio State is a big school so probably a little more than the average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about over-accepting but they do interview around 400 for 165 seats. There is a lot of "musical chairs" after all of the initial seats are offered. From what I remember, the waitlist moved quite a lot in previous years. I had a friend that was like 32 on the waitlist and they got to 30 close to it before the deadline (this is back when you know what number you were on the waitlist).

At my interview day I thought Dr. Lords had said they over accept by 50% for OOS. So, 120-ish people accepted for 80 seats?

I don't know about this year, but in the past they have under accepted IS students by quite a few seats (I found one post from 2018 that said only 65 IS students were initially accepted that year and the class ended up with 80+ IS).

Not sure about over-accepting but they do interview around 400 for 165 seats. There is a lot of "musical chairs" after all of the initial seats are offered. From what I remember, the waitlist moved quite a lot in previous years. I had a friend that was like 32 on the waitlist and they got to 30 close to it before the deadline (this is back when you know what number you were on the waitlist).

Was your friend in state or out of state?

At my interview day I thought Dr. Lords had said they over accept by 50% for OOS. So, 120-ish people accepted for 80 seats?

I don't know about this year, but in the past they have under accepted IS students by quite a few seats (I found one post from 2018 that said only 65 IS students were initially accepted that year and the class ended up with 80+ IS).

Thanks so much! That was really helpful and reassuring.

Was your friend in state or out of state?
She was IS so I am not sure about OOS movement. After checking my notes, Jess is correct in saying OSU underaccepted IS and overaccepted OOS.

She was IS so I am not sure about OOS movement. After checking my notes, Jess is correct in saying OSU underaccepted IS and overaccepted OOS.

Thanks for your help anyways! I have a friend who is instate in the early 20s so I bet she will be glad to hear this.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the parking situation is like? I know that the vet school has their own parking lot but is it difficult to find a parking spot?

Does anyone have any idea as to what the parking situation is like? I know that the vet school has their own parking lot but is it difficult to find a parking spot?

Unfortunately, even though we have our own parking lot, non-vet students are also allowed to park there, including undergraduate students. Sometimes there are events going on that affect parking, too (there was a high school football tourney last semester, and all the parents were parking in our lot, even during the day). Parking is harder to get the later you get here (though some people leave throughout the day, so sometimes you get lucky). In general, before 8:30 or so it's pretty easy, and after 2:00 in the afternoon, since some classes get out early, etc. I have always been able to find a spot, but it has taken some looking on several occasions.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, even though we have our own parking lot, non-vet students are also allowed to park there, including undergraduate students. Sometimes there are events going on that affect parking, too (there was a high school football tourney last semester, and all the parents were parking in our lot, even during the day). Parking is harder to get the later you get here (though some people leave throughout the day, so sometimes you get lucky). In general, before 8:30 or so it's pretty easy, and after 2:00 in the afternoon, since some classes get out early, etc. I have always been able to find a spot, but it has taken some looking on several occasions.
I was definitely guilty of this in grad school, but a colleague of mine was located in Sisson. ;)

That's different. Not as many grad students as undergrads!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's different. Not as many grad students as undergrads!
Yeah I do find that weird that they are allowed to park there. Definitely not enough spots for vet, grad, and undergrad students!

I just spoke with a current 2nd year at the CVM and she said this:

"I was told today that more people have accepted seats then we have seats for. The number of minorities is greater than ever. All of the professors had to go through training to make sure that they would not be biased".

I guess that means that the waitlist won't be moving much, if at all. I wonder what they will do.

"I was told today that more people have accepted seats then we have seats for. The number of minorities is greater than ever. All of the professors had to go through training to make sure that they would not be biased".

I guess that means that the waitlist won't be moving much, if at all. I wonder what they will do.
Wow, that is interesting. I knew that they accepted more minorities from the AVMA stats. Minnerbelle posted the link, but I will copy it here.
http://www.aavmc.org/data/files/data/2016 aavmc public data - feb2516.pdf

Oh, the class is over-accepted? Currently? Interesting. I know schools typically over invite, but does actual over-seating happen frequently?

Oh, the class is over-accepted? Currently? Interesting. I know schools typically over invite, but does actual over-seating happen frequently?

Yes, it is my understanding that the class is currently over accepted. I can't imagine that this happens often. OSU literally can only fit 162 people in the class room.

Now I feel like my worst nightmare is about to happen. That my acceptance is going to be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Now I feel like my worst nightmare is about to happen. That my acceptance is going to be revoked.

I'm 99% sure that they cannot do that. Think of how bad that would make them look!

I'm sorry to insight panic. After hearing the news I just thought I would share. I'm sure OSU will figure this out!

I emailed my advisor for more information!

I literally dreamed that this would happen and Id be kicked back out before it started lol

I literally dreamed that this would happen and Id be kicked back out before it started lol

Reinforcing what cheerio said, I am very confident you're panicking over nothing. Don't play that game. You got in, the school will work it out.

I hope that's not true. It's quite possible that many people have put deposits down on seats at OSU but are still waiting to get off another school's waitlist after this Friday. It's also possible that some people have been "accepted" but haven't reserved or declined their offer yet whether they've chosen another school or not. People do love to procrastinate.

It was great to keep up with you all on this thread! I did deny my seat a few days ago to attend another school. But best of luck to ALL of you attending OSU now, this fall, or in the future!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just a side note (I did not apply to OSU but I know people who did), when CSU overfills their spots, they sometimes ask OOS to defer to the next year and as an incentive they offer them IS tuition. Not saying OSU will do this, but they definitely do not revoke acceptances!

I'm sure that won't happen. I am sad as I am an OOS waitlister so this is certainly a death sentence for me. But those who have already gotten accept
I hope that's not true. It's quite possible that many people have put deposits down on seats at OSU but are still waiting to get off another school's waitlist after this Friday. It's also possible that some people have been "accepted" but haven't reserved or declined their offer yet whether they've chosen another school or not. People do love to procrastinate.

I hope it is not true too!

So we were told they over-accepted, and that the incoming class will have the most diverse makeup yet. They ALWAYS over-accept by some amount; not all schools have the same acceptance times, and people can be on multiple wait-lists at the same time. Someone may get in and accept their seat but get into a home state later. Other times something happens and people can't attend that year for whatever reason. We had a girl join our class the day before orientation started. It's not over until it's over and the fact is that no matter what we've been told, nobody knows exactly what's up.

Our dean has explicitly said many times his goal is to diversify the profession as much as possible, which I think is an admirable goal. This does not mean the school is rejecting people who are not minorities or anything of the sort. We have had multiple opportunities for both staff and students to learn more about diversity; I've attended several sessions myself. Thing is, up until the class of 2020, our class of 2019 was the most diverse the college has ever seen. It's likely 2021's class will be even more diverse and so on. This is not a bad thing, and the admissions people undergoing training to reduce bias in admissions decisions can only be a good thing. As we all know, grades do not always a great veterinarian make, and the fact is that outreach/recruiting to minority groups has been lacking in the past in vet med.

Again, you're not rejected until you are. If it's not this year, it sucks, but there's always another year. I was pretty sure I wasn't getting in last time, and had already begun the process of enrolling in classes, etc, to improve my application for the next go around. I was also worried/sad at the thought of not getting in. Nobody likes rejection and it stinks to be on the hook for so long and have it be a "no" after all. But it's not a "no, never." It's a "not this year."

I am pretty sure they are not going to take anyone's seat away if you've already been accepted.

So we were told they over-accepted, and that the incoming class will have the most diverse makeup yet. They ALWAYS over-accept by some amount; not all schools have the same acceptance times, and people can be on multiple wait-lists at the same time. Someone may get in and accept their seat but get into a home state later. Other times something happens and people can't attend that year for whatever reason. We had a girl join our class the day before orientation started. It's not over until it's over and the fact is that no matter what we've been told, nobody knows exactly what's up.

Our dean has explicitly said many times his goal is to diversify the profession as much as possible, which I think is an admirable goal. This does not mean the school is rejecting people who are not minorities or anything of the sort. We have had multiple opportunities for both staff and students to learn more about diversity; I've attended several sessions myself. Thing is, up until the class of 2020, our class of 2019 was the most diverse the college has ever seen. It's likely 2021's class will be even more diverse and so on. This is not a bad thing, and the admissions people undergoing training to reduce bias in admissions decisions can only be a good thing. As we all know, grades do not always a great veterinarian make, and the fact is that outreach/recruiting to minority groups has been lacking in the past in vet med.

Again, you're not rejected until you are. If it's not this year, it sucks, but there's always another year. I was pretty sure I wasn't getting in last time, and had already begun the process of enrolling in classes, etc, to improve my application for the next go around. I was also worried/sad at the thought of not getting in. Nobody likes rejection and it stinks to be on the hook for so long and have it be a "no" after all. But it's not a "no, never." It's a "not this year."

I am pretty sure they are not going to take anyone's seat away if you've already been accepted.

Right, they over accept every year. What I was told is of those people accepted, more actually put a deposit on their seat than there are seats for. Is this true on your end?

Right, they over accept every year. What I was told is of those people accepted, more actually put a deposit on their seat than there are seats for. Is this true on your end?

I don't believe it was explicitly stated if deposits had been put down or not. It's possible that people did put deposits down but will change their minds. I mean, if you don't know for sure you're getting in elsewhere, you'd probably put a deposit down. Again, we had someone come the day before orientation last year (a different name was on nametags and everything).

Sorry if I came across grumpy or anything, but I can just imagine people on the forum panicking hearing that (I probably would have panicked as well) and since you guys have no context for it, having only heard through someone else... point is, unless you have been rejected explicitly, then you're not technically out of the game yet. Dean Moore told us that they currently accepted more people than there are seats for, but it's my understanding that this always happens to some extent. He also told us the class of 2020 so far has the most men in recent years (35!) and minority groups are more represented than in any previous class. He did mention the training admissions went through, but seeing as there are also student sessions about diversity happening, I didn't think it was that unusual. Again, the Dean has said he wants to make diversity his mission, and he's said as much at admissions dinners, etc.

Try not to be down no matter what happens. I know it probably seems like it's easy for me to say, being in now, but you gotta remember I was in your shoes last year. I did not know if I was going to get off the wait-list or not. If you interviewed, you're already a cut above a fair number of applicants. They were interested. They have to make tough choices every year and even if you don't get in this time, doesn't mean you won't next time, or the time after. There's no time limit for life, y'know? We have people in their 30s in my class, some of whom had other careers before this.

I don't believe it was explicitly stated if deposits had been put down or not. It's possible that people did put deposits down but will change their minds. I mean, if you don't know for sure you're getting in elsewhere, you'd probably put a deposit down. Again, we had someone come the day before orientation last year (a different name was on nametags and everything).

Sorry if I came across grumpy or anything, but I can just imagine people on the forum panicking hearing that (I probably would have panicked as well) and since you guys have no context for it, having only heard through someone else... point is, unless you have been rejected explicitly, then you're not technically out of the game yet. Dean Moore told us that they currently accepted more people than there are seats for, but it's my understanding that this always happens to some extent. He also told us the class of 2020 so far has the most men in recent years (35!) and minority groups are more represented than in any previous class. He did mention the training admissions went through, but seeing as there are also student sessions about diversity happening, I didn't think it was that unusual. Again, the Dean has said he wants to make diversity his mission, and he's said as much at admissions dinners, etc.

Try not to be down no matter what happens. I know it probably seems like it's easy for me to say, being in now, but you gotta remember I was in your shoes last year. I did not know if I was going to get off the wait-list or not. If you interviewed, you're already a cut above a fair number of applicants. They were interested. They have to make tough choices every year and even if you don't get in this time, doesn't mean you won't next time, or the time after. There's no time limit for life, y'know? We have people in their 30s in my class, some of whom had other careers before this.

Thank you for specifying. I didn't mean to freak anyone out. I was freaking out and came for answers. I appreciate your honesty.

No problem, if anything I'm a little frustrated that this information was given out with no context or without full understanding of the situation. Unless the dean told the second years something he didn't tell us, that is what was said.

No problem, if anything I'm a little frustrated that this information was given out with no context or without full understanding of the situation. Unless the dean told the second years something he didn't tell us, that is what was said.

I must admit that the person that told me as a former classmate, not necessarily someone I would refer to as a friend. Perhaps the intention was to upset me? Who knows. She did include the part about the 35 males and the special biased training for staff.

I'm curious what the purpose of his talk was? Like was it a "State of the College" talk or diversity lecture?

I'm curious what the purpose of his talk was? Like was it a "State of the College" talk or diversity lecture?
He came in to talk as part of our Professional Development course - the topic was on leadership today. He and Dr. Lord both come in at least once a semester for a class meeting to do a state of the college sort of talk and ask for feedback from us on what's going well and what could be better.

Not to freak anyone out, because I certainly could have misunderstood what Dean Moore said, but I thought he said more than 162 students had accepted their seats. He did for sure say that several students change their minds each year after they have accepted their seats so he's not concerned. I can't see any situation where they would revoke acceptances. That's just not how our administration is.

He came in to talk as part of our Professional Development course - the topic was on leadership today. He and Dr. Lord both come in at least once a semester for a class meeting to do a state of the college sort of talk and ask for feedback from us on what's going well and what could be better.

Not to freak anyone out, because I certainly could have misunderstood what Dean Moore said, but I thought he said more than 162 students had accepted their seats. He did for sure say that several students change their minds each year after they have accepted their seats so he's not concerned. I can't see any situation where they would revoke acceptances. That's just not how our administration is.

I interpreted it as they over-accepted as they usually did, but as others have said, perhaps people put deposits down? At any rate, I wouldn't panic just yet. Unless you hear it directly from the administration/admissions people, there's no reason to assume.

Yeah, revoking acceptances would be really bad publicity for the school. I don't think this will happen either.

Hi, I want ask who have already accepted their seat. Do you just get a confirmation webpage of payment of deposit but not a confirmation email? I have just accepted my seat last night want to make sure everything was done correctly. I called the admission office twice as well as emailed them today. No on reply and Sandra was not there and no one give me confirmation. So I really worried if I finish all the steps. The confirmation page of the payment said it takes about 3-5 days to have the status change on the application center so I cannot tell by look at the application status now. Still showing "Pay fee" on the status.
Thank you so much!

I accepted back in February, but if I remember correctly I did not get a confirmation email after paying.

I accepted back in February, but if I remember correctly I did not get a confirmation email after paying.

I just double checked and I do not believe I got a confirmation either. My app status does say "confirmed" now though. But that took several days to update

I just double checked and I do not believe I got a confirmation either. My app status does say "confirmed" now though. But that took several days to update

Sent from my iPhone
Same here. My status says confirmed but it took days to update and there was no confirmation email.

Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement? I am still holding out hope that maybe the class isn't actually full .

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about waitlist movement? I am still holding out hope that maybe the class isn't actually full .
If everything that's been posted here is accurate, and they over accepted OOS and under accepted IS, then if they get the class back down under 162, they will have too many OOS and not enough IS.

In that case, they'll definitely work through the in state list first until it's balanced. After all, the school is there first to serve the people of Ohio.

After all, the school is there first to serve the people of Ohio.

When I started undergrad in 2005, OSU's vet class was over 70% IS. Each new OOS seat they pick up translates to five figures of new money today. Sadly, in state students are not the top priority so it's quite possible that they would seat a class with well over 50% OOS.

When I started undergrad in 2005, OSU's vet class was over 70% IS. Each new OOS seat they pick up translates to five figures of new money today. Sadly, in state students are not the top priority so it's quite possible that they would seat a class with well over 50% OOS.
Generally speaking, Ohio State gets money from the state for in state students equal to the difference. The goal of diversifying the class to 50-50 was to keep the school top 5.

Has anyone on the waitlist called OSU? I am considering doing so. I would like to know directly from them if the class has been filled.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of when I got off the wait-list, so maybe wait til after then? They will let you know. I know it's terrible waiting, I've been there!

Tomorrow is the anniversary of when I got off the wait-list, so maybe wait til after then? They will let you know. I know it's terrible waiting, I've been there!

Thank you, I just am so close to the top. It stinks being so close yet so far away. Don't get me wrong, I have already done a file review and fixed what I can to reapply. It would just be a wonderful miracle to get pulled this year. I just have that last little glimmer of hope left.