Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's fine! It sounds like you have a balanced attitude about it. Remember, there's always next year if you don't get pulled from the wait-list! There's no set timeline for when these things have to happen by.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, I just am so close to the top. It stinks being so close yet so far away. Don't get me wrong, I have already done a file review and fixed what I can to reapply. It would just be a wonderful miracle to get pulled this year. I just have that last little glimmer of hope left.
You still could get pulled off the waitlist so do not give up hope just yet!! Dr. Lord said a student got pulled the week before classes started. It is not over until classes start. I know that is a horribly long time to wait, but there is definitely hope still. It is good that you have been proactive in the meantime by completing a file review and looking at what to correct for next year just in case.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I have officially given up hope. Congratulations to all those who will be attending. I'm looking onward to next year. Thanks everyone for sharing in this journey with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have officially given up hope. Congratulations to all those who will be attending. I'm looking onward to next year. Thanks everyone for sharing in this journey with me.

Why? If you have not received a rejection, you have no reason to give up hope. That said, looking forward isn't a bad thing, but again... no need to feel bad, if you are on the wait-list they're interested, and there's still a lot of time until the fall semester starts.

Why? If you have not received a rejection, you have no reason to give up hope. That said, looking forward isn't a bad thing, but again... no need to feel bad, if you are on the wait-list they're interested, and there's still a lot of time until the fall semester starts.

At this point, the waitlist hasn't moved at all. I just don't realistically see it happening. Other schools are well into their waitlists and slowing down. It seems if there was going to be much movement it would have already happened.

At this point, the waitlist hasn't moved at all. I just don't realistically see it happening. Other schools are well into their waitlists and slowing down. It seems if there was going to be much movement it would have already happened.
I really don't think they've started contacting anyone yet. I'm #2 on the IS waitlist and so far I'm going with the "No news is good news" approach. OSU has a very large class to seat. It's going to move, even if it's only a little.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean, the first years haven't got our scholarship information (as in if we got anything) yet, so... sounds like the school is busy, and maybe a bit behind, so while I get trying to be realistic, you never know.

It sounds like you have a reasonable plan of action either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know exactly what documentation to fill out or get for the tetanus vaccine and TB test? I can only find the "new to OSU" vaccine form. I emailed the Preventative Medicine like osu incoming vet class page suggested. They said there should be a specific form from the college of vet medicine. Im getting my vaccine and TB test in a couple weeks. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Got the email from Ohio State today, they said the wait list hasn't moved at all yet but they hope to have more info in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Doesn't look good for us in-state people :/

Got the email from Ohio State today, they said the wait list hasn't moved at all yet but they hope to have more info in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Doesn't look good for us in-state people :/
Right? It seems like several schools had higher acceptance rates than normal. It's certainly not looking good:-/

Thought I had found a loophole in the residency for tuition purposes. I work in Ohio, but live in Kentucky (10 miles from the border), so I called to see if I qualify based on the guidelines on their website. I don't qualify, so I got my hopes up for nothing :(

Thought I had found a loophole in the residency for tuition purposes. I work in Ohio, but live in Kentucky (10 miles from the border), so I called to see if I qualify based on the guidelines on their website. I don't qualify, so I got my hopes up for nothing :(

You can always get sham married and have your legally convenient new spouse get a job in Ohio. That makes you an instant resident for school purposes. Then annul the marriage after a few months. Game that system!

You'd be making no more a mockery of the institution of marriage than most people do for far fewer gains.

It's happened! They over accepted and are now trying to give out incentives for some students to wait another year. I wonder by how many they over accepted. I must say though if I was younger and didn't already have a masters I would totally accept their offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's happened! They over accepted and are now trying to give out incentives for some students to wait another year. I wonder by how many they over accepted. I must say though if I was younger and didn't already have a masters I would totally accept their offer!

What kind of incentives? I'm assuming deferments but I suppose they could try to dangle some other kind of carrot in front of people.

Of course, that likely decreases next year's available seats so it would be nice to know how badly they screwed up this year. I would also hope that they reconsider over-accepting students in future years - at least at the levels they've been doing. I'm particularly interested in knowing what the IS/OOS numbers look like.

Did you hear about this via e-mail? I'm just wondering if we can verify this somehow, since people may not have seen it yet, etc.

Yes via email yesterday. Has this happen before?

Last edited:
So I'm not the only one who received the email about the combined MS/DVM haha. I think I'm going to go for it since they are willing to pay for it and by then I'll get in-state residency! So yippie to reducing loans for my 1st year :)
Anyone else thinking of deferring vet school until 2017?

Got this email too. I would have totally went for it if I wasn't 98% done with a Master's already lol. A paid Master's degree is a great incentive and with guaranteed IS residency to boot. Hope those who are interested jump on this.

Just got my financial aid and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing lol I hope the third issue of financial aid news comes out. The last issue said it was going to explain everything with loans and making a spending plan. Does anyone know how long we have to take action on our financial award summary?

Just got my financial aid and I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing lol I hope the third issue of financial aid news comes out. The last issue said it was going to explain everything with loans and making a spending plan. Does anyone know how long we have to take action on our financial award summary?

Was wondering the same thing!

Does everyone get the same amount of financial aid? I may be reading the award summary wrong but it says the federal direct HP unsub loan is $40,500 (which is then split into $20,250 for each semester) and I was under the impression we get somewhere around 90k. It also says Grad PLUS loan eligibility is $49,984, maybe thats where the rest comes from?

Yea i has the same for federal direct HP unsub loan but my grad PLUS loan was only 11,000 something. Most likely because I'm instate.

Go to the third page of the latest Financial Aid newsletter. It talks about accepting your award. Basically, you accept the awards and go through everything under the "To Do" tab. You have to apply for the Grad PLUS Loan separately.

so I am a 2021 hopeful..

I acquired an amazing school year internship for equine starting Sep. 1st. Obviously I have to submit my application by the 15th at the latest, can I send OSU my updated hours on equine experience and possibly a short letter of recommendation from the equine vet? Will they consider it and add it to my application, or is it too late? I currently have very very little vet equine experience which is the weakest part of my application.

so I am a 2021 hopeful..

I acquired an amazing school year internship for equine starting Sep. 1st. Obviously I have to submit my application by the 15th at the latest, can I send OSU my updated hours on equine experience and possibly a short letter of recommendation from the equine vet? Will they consider it and add it to my application, or is it too late? I currently have very very little vet equine experience which is the weakest part of my application.

You can update OSU admissions with hours pretty much up until they start scheduling interviews in December/January but you can't submit a recommendation after the deadline. Logistics wise in getting your application submitted, you don't want to wait until the 15th. So, there is likely no time for an equine vet from this upcoming internship to really "get to know you" before submitting a recommendation on your behalf. You want to try to get things submitted no later than the 1st (people do it after that time, I've done that in the past, but it makes things very stressful and gives you no wiggle room for possible problems).

I also brought an updated experience hours on nice resume paper to my interview and they seemed to like that. So that's an option too

I hope they fill in the people on the waitlist and those applying this cycle. It would be nice to know how this issue will affect next years class.

I hope they fill in the people on the waitlist and those applying this cycle. It would be nice to know how this issue will affect next years class.

It would be nice.

I'm not sure what they've done in previous years though. Do they actually dismiss/release the waitlisted applicants at some point or do you just never hear anything back from OSU if you're waitlisted?

Those who got e-mails about deferring, is it being presented as a "first come, first serve" until they get the class down to 162 or is it open (anyone who wants to defer can) so hypothetically the class could go below 162 before August? Is there a date accepted students have to notify the school by if they are choosing to defer?

It would be nice.

I'm not sure what they've done in previous years though. Do they actually dismiss/release the waitlisted applicants at some point or do you just never hear anything back from OSU if you're waitlisted?

Those who got e-mails about deferring, is it being presented as a "first come, first serve" until they get the class down to 162 or is it open (anyone who wants to defer can) so hypothetically the class could go below 162 before August? Is there a date accepted students have to notify the school by if they are choosing to defer?

I would like to know that as well as this- if they are letting these OOS students defer (because that's what they over accept) and gain residency, then will they count as in state students for the class next year? That would be incredibly unfair to actual residents who will have to apply or reapply because if the craziness this year.

The email said "select few of you" and to email as soon as possible if interested and it will be given in order of emails received. It does not say how many.

It would be nice.

I would like to know that as well as this- if they are letting these OOS students defer (because that's what they over accept) and gain residency, then will they count as in state students for the class next year? That would be incredibly unfair to actual residents who will have to apply or reapply because if the craziness this year.

The email was not clear about this, but it did sound like there was a limited number of spots available for deferment. No idea what that number is. The opportunity was also not just restricted to OOS students, IS students could also choose to defer a year to do the masters.

Regardless, I really doubt the number of students who defer will significantly impact the number of IS or OOS students they will be able to accept this year (IS especially) - I wouldn't stress about it.

Sooo... How about that new req of having to get an iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro? That really sucks for me since I wasn't expecting this extra expense. I already have a laptop and android tablet

Sooo... How about that new req of having to get an iPad Air 2 or iPad Pro? That really sucks for me since I wasn't expecting this extra expense. I already have a laptop and android tablet

For what purpose is this a requirement?

It's says for taking exams (iPad specific software?), access course electronic materials and annotations of electronic notes

I know I have spoke to students who said their computers were not working well with the exam software but other student's iPads were working well with it. I think for that reason they want no glitches in exams for everyone so making an iPad a requirement was their solution, I assume.

It's says for taking exams (iPad specific software?), access course electronic materials and annotations of electronic notes

Interesting...we use examsoft. Lots of people have had issues with examsoft crashing their computer or other bad things so maybe that's why they want you to use ipads now. Examsoft doesn't work on android tablets.

Hey Guys!

Question- I am really considering getting a dog (potentially tomorrow!) but my veterinarian recommended against it, but I know a ton of people have dogs in veterinary school. Any advice?

Thanks!

Hey Guys!

Question- I am really considering getting a dog (potentially tomorrow!) but my veterinarian recommended against it, but I know a ton of people have dogs in veterinary school. Any advice?

Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on how much you think you can handle. If you get the dog soon and have time to get to know one another, it's better than getting one right when you move. I know I would go bananas if I didn't have my pets with me. If you think a pet will add to your stress, then I'd say avoid doing this, but if you're like me and the pets make you feel less stressed, it might be beneficial. Plus, having a dog to walk will get you exercise, which is important and easy to find excuses to avoid in vet school.

Interesting. You shouldn't need an iPad for notes (lots of folks do it on laptops), but it kinda sounds like they may want you to get an iPad for exams. Examsoft was a nightmare on so many levels for my class (it crashed my computer once and killed a few others) and we mentioned many times that we'd prefer paper exams to examsoft. So, maybe they have a new kind of software for exams, or as others have said, examsoft works fine on iPads.

I don't really want to start gossip...but maybe the recently released news article has something to do with the new iPad rule. Perhaps they are just trying to better regulate the exam software?

Last edited:
Just saw this, kinda embarrassing... I seen it share in a bunch of vet related pages. I'm hoping it was just all a big misunderstanding...

All I will say about it is that's it's a true story. The college has released a statement on their page.

I have no need to speculate and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the college. I just want to suggest a possible explanation for the new iPad rule. :)

Last edited:
I have no need to speculate and I have nothing but the upmost respect for the college. I just want to suggest a possible explanation for the new iPad rule. :)
I believe the iPad implementation was due to the exam program that is used crashing some personal computers being used. It has, however, worked well on iPads. So that seems to be the administration's solution...

Just saw this, kinda embarrassing... I seen it share in a bunch of vet related pages. I'm hoping it was just all a big misunderstanding...

You have no reason to be embarrassed. Most students in attendance had nothing to do with this (it wasn't even the entire class in question involved) and you, as someone who hasn't started yet, certainly haven't been involved.

Those of us in attendance who were not involved cannot explain more of the situation.

So what do people do for football games if they want their family to come for a game? I was thinking about buying a student season ticket for myself but I was thinking my SO could come for thanksgiving and go to the v. Michigan game but at $200 per guest ticket that might be too much.