Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Note to applicants: it's a little off-putting when your parent(s) ask the fourth year sitting at your dinner table for veterinary advice. Tell them to behave themselves!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone have any advice about the dinner and interview? What were other people wearing at the dinner (Suits, tie and button down)? And what did you guys think of the interview?

Anyone have any advice about the dinner and interview? What were other people wearing at the dinner (Suits, tie and button down)? And what did you guys think of the interview?
At the dinner on Monday it seemed like most people were dressed up. I wore a black dress and heels, most guys had suits on or button ups and khakis, etc.

The interview was so relaxed. I was so incredibly nervous for it but there was no need to be! I personally had no technical questions more of general job interview questions. Be yourself. We laughed a lot during my interview and it flew by.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got done with the dinner! this school is amazing! I cannot wait for the interview tomorrow!! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
The dinner was fun. There are current students for you to talk to and it makes things less awkward. I wore a blouse type shirt with a more casual jacket (it's freaking cold in Columbus) with slacks and wedges and felt totally comfortable.
The interview day was fun. I had my interview later and we got a tour before that. It is a pretty amazing campus and I instantly loved it. Then you basically wait around after lunch (subway) to be called for your interview. My interviewers were great! Super laid back and it went by very fast. Be sure to have questions for them in case their questions end early (mine did). I loved the experience and it was an amazing opportunity.
I hope my little summary helps anyone getting ready for their interview. Good luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Subway is like the official lunch of vet school interviews. We do have a subway on campus, so that's kinda nice, but yes... both interviews I had offered subway xD

Hope everyone's enjoying the interview process!

At the dinner on Monday it seemed like most people were dressed up. I wore a black dress and heels, most guys had suits on or button ups and khakis, etc.

The interview was so relaxed. I was so incredibly nervous for it but there was no need to be! I personally had no technical questions more of general job interview questions. Be yourself. We laughed a lot during my interview and it flew by.

^I second all of this, people were dressed similarly for the Tuesday night dinner. I saw a couple of people in nice jeans, but for the most part everybody had pretty spiffy attire. I wore dress pants, black heels, and a sweater.

I really liked Ohio State before, but I must say I am even more impressed with it now. All of the faculty and current students that I interacted with were so, so great. It really is a fantastic school.

Pro tip for those yet to interview: do heed their advice and bring a pair of shoes to change into for the tour. I changed out of my heels into a pair of flats and was glad I did :)

Best of luck, all! :luck:

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone! The dinner was great.. felt really comfortable. Everyone wore nice pants, sweater sets and mostly suits for the guys. The interview itself was very easy. The questions I was asked had to do with leadership, my experience and current challenges facing the vet profession. If you have any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer them :) Best of luck :):)

Reactions: 2 users
So does anyone know when they actually contact you about their decision? In the email they sent us with the timeline they said rolling admission but then on the interview day they said end of February.

Reactions: 1 user
So does anyone know when they actually contact you about their decision? In the email they sent us with the timeline they said rolling admission but then on the interview day they said end of February.
They told us Monday that a very select few people will hear a week after their interview, everyone else can expect to hear 5-6 weeks from their interview.

I just went back to the thread from last year and it looks like I interviewed 1/24/15 and got my acceptance in an email on 2/17/15.

I just went back to the thread from last year and it looks like I interviewed 1/24/15 and got my acceptance in an email on 2/17/15.
How did you manage to not constantly think about it? All I do is think about it! Anytime my phone rings I hope it's them. I think I may have a problem... Hahah

How did you manage to not constantly think about it? All I do is think about it! Anytime my phone rings I hope it's them. I think I may have a problem... Hahah
I honestly didn't expect to pick OSU. I had offers from other schools I really liked before I even interviewed at OSU. Even so, I was still a nervous wreck.

Members don't see this ad :)

:whistle: Ahh that's going to be a tough wait! Do you happen to know how OSU weighs each portion for their final decision? Like GPA, interview, experience, etc.

:whistle: Ahh that's going to be a tough wait! Do you happen to know how OSU weighs each portion for their final decision? Like GPA, interview, experience, etc.
I think they still consider your gpa and experience after the interviews. I don't know their exact formula though. Honestly, it's best not to think too much about it. I remember last year that not overthinking everything impossible though.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone still not heard back from them? And if you are denied do they tell you or do you just check your applicant portal?

I haven't heard back and a handful of other people haven't either but it seems like they've been sending out rejections every week. From past years it seems like they keep a bunch of people in limbo for a bit and then they end up interviewing some of them kind of late in the game.

And also rejecting some people late in the game without interview. So at this point I think anything is fair game.

The wait for our answers after the interviews is horrible!!! Hope we hear soon!!!

The wait for our answers after the interviews is horrible!!! Hope we hear soon!!!
Every time my phone rings with a 614 area code my heart drops. And then I remind myself I live in Columbus and this happens a lot and I need to calm down. Hahaha

I interviewed on the 6th and got a call today from the Dean offering me a seat! So excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Every time my phone rings with a 614 area code my heart drops. And then I remind myself I live in Columbus and this happens a lot and I need to calm down. Hahaha
I live in Ohio also!

CONGRATS!! :) Do you mind sharing your stats and if you are IS or OOS?

Thank you! This was the first school I've heard from and tbh I was floored to hear so early.

I'm OOS with a 4.0 in all the science courses. Had a very mixed bag GRE and ~2000 hours clinic experience. This is my first time applying to vet school.

Thank you! This was the first school I've heard from and tbh I was floored to hear so early.

I'm OOS with a 4.0 in all the science courses. Had a very mixed bag GRE and ~2000 hours clinic experience. This is my first time applying to vet school.

Your stats sounds pretty stellar! That's awesome! I hope you hear back with good news from the other schools you applied to as well! Congrats and good luck with the rest :)!

Congrats!! I also interviewed on the 6th and the dean called me today to offer me a seat! I'm beyond excited!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats!! I also interviewed on the 6th and the dean called me today to offer me a seat! I'm beyond excited!

That's so exciting!! Congratulations as well:)! Do you also mind sharing your stats and whether you are IS oR OSS? Also what time did you both get a call at?

Got my rejection e-mail this morning. Congrats to everyone and good luck to everyone still waiting for acceptances/interviews!

That's so exciting!! Congratulations as well:)! Do you also mind sharing your stats and whether you are IS oR OSS? Also what time did you both get a call at?

Of course! Thank you! I am OSS . Mixed gre scores; 3000 hours experience in small animal internal medicine. They called around 9:15 am . Good luck everyone!

This might be an odd question, but does anyone know if they will leave a message if you don't pick up their call? Or try calling back again later? I am traveling all day so my phone will be on airplane mode and I would HATE to miss that call if I did actually get one, since I won't get any notification of a missed call :arghh:

This might be an odd question, but does anyone know if they will leave a message if you don't pick up their call? Or try calling back again later? I am traveling all day so my phone will be on airplane mode and I would HATE to miss that call if I did actually get one, since I won't get any notification of a missed call :arghh:

They tried to reach me yesterday but they said they had my number wrong. The dean sent me an email asking me to verify the number. Hope this helps:)

They tried to reach me yesterday but they said they had my number wrong. The dean sent me an email asking me to verify the number. Hope this helps:)

Great thanks :p congrats again!

Has anyone from the January 7th interview date been contacted yet?

Hey guys! I've been following this thread and its been really helpful. I had my interview on the 7th and got the call today!!:soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys! I've been following this thread and its been really helpful. I had my interview on the 8th and got the call today!!:soexcited::soexcited:
Congratulations:)! Mind sharing your GPA, GRE scores, and other stats? And are you IS or OOS? Also, what time did you get the call?

Congratulations:)! Mind sharing your GPA, GRE scores, and other stats? And are you IS or OOS? Also, what time did you get the call?
Yeah. Im IS and got the call around 11am this morning. My gpa was a 3.55 cumulative, and a 3.6 science. My gre scores were 159/158, I had around 1,000 veterinary hrs including working as a Veterinary assistant, and over 1,000 research hrs.

Yeah. Im IS and got the call around 11am this morning. My gpa was a 3.55 cumulative, and a 3.6 science. My gre scores were 159/158, I had around 1,000 veterinary hrs including working as a Veterinary assistant, and over 1,000 research hrs.
Aww yayay!! Congratulations and good for you! What time did you interview on Thursday? Good luck with the rest of the process if you aren't done as well :)

I was called mid-afternoon. 2 or 3?

Grats to the called people and good luck to everyone!

Got my rejection e-mail this morning. Congrats to everyone and good luck to everyone still waiting for acceptances/interviews!

Sorry to hear :C Don't give up though!

Thanks for the well wishes! I have 4 interviews lined up and I'm waitlisted at 2 schools so I'm hopeful it'll work out somewhere!

Thanks for the well wishes! I have 4 interviews lined up and I'm waitlisted at 2 schools so I'm hopeful it'll work out somewhere!

That's great! Good luck on your interviews:)

Does your online portal also say you were rejected? Still havent heard from them and application says it is still under review

I missed a call :( do they only call with good news??