Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I missed a call :( do they only call with good news??

I really don't know.. I'd call them back. Crossing my fingers for you:)

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know.. I'd call them back. Crossing my fingers for you:)

Awww thank you! My fingers are crossed as well. I called back, but she wasn't in her office so I had to leave a voicemail!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an acceptance phone call today so don't give up hope yet if you interviewed last week! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Could you post your stats and when your interview was please

Of course! I interviewed on 1/6 and I'm OOS. My cum GPA was a 3.9, GREs were 163/162, and I had about 900 hours of mixed vet experience and 500 research hours.

I GOT ACCEPTED!!! I can't wait to be a buckeye :soexcited::love:

Reactions: 11 users
No one should give up hope yet! I talked with a current student and supposedly they are calling the top 5-10% right now. A majority of the currently class heard beginning of Feb last year and some even got their letters on Feb 20! So no one panic (easier said than done, I know!)

Reactions: 2 users
I can't wait to hear back! Congrats to all those who have already been accepted!

Do you mind posting your gpa and experiences

I'm 21 years old, IS

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.5
Last 45: ?? I don't remember but not that great probably around 3.5-3:55

GRE: 156 Q, 154 V, 3.5 W

A little under 1000 hours of veterinary experience (small animal vets, emergency small animal vet, equine vet)

A little over 1000 hours of animal experience (intern at zoo, intern at wildlife rehabilitation center, and a lot from my undergrad school dealing with large animals )

About 300 hours of research dealing with porcine reproduction

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm 21 years old, IS

A little under 1000 hours of veterinary experience (small animal vets, emergency small animal vet, equine vet)

A little over 1000 hours of animal experience (intern at zoo, intern at wildlife rehabilitation center, and a lot from my undergrad school... We had our own barns and we got to perform a lot of minor surgeries on the large animals there such as castration, tail docks, dehorns, etc.)

About 300 hours of research dealing with ultrasonography in porcine reproduction.
I think we may have gone to the same undergrad :p (and worked with the same professor on research)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we may have gone to the same undergrad :p (and worked with the same professor on research)

If he's one of the coolest professors you've had during your undergrad I'm sure we did haha

Congrats to everyone that heard so far!

New to the forum! I just got my acceptance a couple of days ago from OSU via phone call from Dr. Lord. Now to finish my masters...lol. Good luck to all other applicants out there!

Reactions: 5 users
during the phone call, did they mention when we will be getting official acceptance letters?
She told me we won't be able to accept the seat until around February when all the other acceptances go out. But she made it clear that we have a seat lol I was nervous about that. So I would assume we'd get a letter around then too?

she told me we would be getting emails but didn't specify when. from looking at the last yrs thread, it seems like they sent out emails couple days after the phone call

When I spoke to her on Monday I got the impression to would take a few weeks for the letters to go out. Though admittedly that whole phone call was a bit of an euphoric daze ... :D

she told me we would be getting emails but didn't specify when. from looking at the last yrs thread, it seems like they sent out emails couple days after the phone call

When on the phone with her, I asked her when we would be able to officially accept the offer and she told me a couple of weeks we would receive an email and also correspondence by snail-mail.

When I spoke to her on Monday I got the impression to would take a few weeks for the letters to go out. Though admittedly that whole phone call was a bit of an euphoric daze ... :D

I was in the same situation ;)

Yeah. I kept checking my phone to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I really want to get the official email so I can make it official.

Yeah. I kept checking my phone to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I really want to get the official email so I can make it official.
Sam here! I was thinking is this for real? I wish good luck to everyone still waiting out there!! i look forward to meeting all of you!

are you guys looking at apartments? are there any particular places you recommend?

When I was there for my masters I went with Harvard square apartments. Very clean and good neighborhood. Only 10 min from ag campus.

Sam here! I was thinking is this for real? I wish good luck to everyone still waiting out there!! i look forward to meeting all of you!

Heh. I keep doing the same thing. 'Did I hallucinate that call? Better check my call history...' Repeat x 10

are you guys looking at apartments? are there any particular places you recommend?
I highly recommend Old Henderson Square. A lot of my classmates live in Governours Square, the Quarry, and Runaway Bay. I'm not thrilled with my housing situation this year so if I move, I'll likely move to Old Henderson Square. Once you accept your spot in the class they'll send you a list of recommended places.

I highly recommend Old Henderson Square. A lot of my classmates live in Governours Square, the Quarry, and Runaway Bay. I'm not thrilled with my housing situation this year so if I move, I'll likely move to Old Henderson Square. Once you accept your spot in the class they'll send you a list of recommended places.
Do you mind me asking when you head back after your interview last year? There's a bunch of people on here that have already heard so it's making me a little anxious. Thanks!

Do you mind me asking when you head back after your interview last year? There's a bunch of people on here that have already heard so it's making me a little anxious. Thanks!
I interviewed on 1/25/15 and heard back on 2/17/15. I did not get a phone call, just a letter in the mail. Don't worry if you haven't heard yet :)

I'm 21 years old, IS

A little over 1000 hours of animal experience (intern at zoo, intern at wildlife rehabilitation center, and a lot from my undergrad school dealing with large animals )

About 300 hours of research dealing with porcine reproduction

Congratulations on your acceptance!! My interview is next weekend, but my stats are similar to mine! So that makes me hopeful.

I lived for five years in a 2 bedroom garden apartment at University Commons on 12th Ave. It's operated by Hometeam Properties, who also lease a lot of other houses and apartment complexes around campus. They were one of the better rental companies I've dealt with in my time in Columbus.

Also, Columbus has a lot of major highways that run north to south and east to west. There are numerous smaller communities off those roads that are still under a 20 minute drive from the vet school and which have way better dollar to square foot rental ratios than the places you'll find right near campus in the Grandview Heights/Upper Arlington area.

After living on and around campus for eight years, I opted to move further out into other parts of the Columbus-metro area. Right now I'm renting a large 2 bedroom condo with the works (DW, W/D, two parking spots, private fenced patio, pet friendly, etc.) in North Columbus (Westerville area) for $795/ month. I'm a 16 minute drive in normal highway traffic from the vet school.

I just got done with my interview yesterday. The school is truly amazing. I'm very lucky to have friends who attend OSU as first and second year students. I know third and fourth year students as well actually haha.. I'm out of state, so it was hard for me to be in the cold, so pack warm clothes for those of you interviewing soon!!

The school is actually the largest university in the entire U.S. (I had no idea)! So many opportunities and there are three separate teaching hospitals!! There are also over 100 clubs so if you have a certain interest, you can get hands on experience through clubs. The school is HUGE and beautiful. The technology and machinery they have for all of the animals, and the opportunities they give their students is amazing. The students have access to the anatomy lab 24/7, can watch surgery anytime, and professors even will grab you to help with them if you're watching walking by on your own time.

If you have a chance while you're there, visit the entire campus and not just the vet school. The main campus in huge and the main library, gym, pool are beneficial to see as well. So I would recommend having someone show you around if you know people who go there.

All of the students were so welcoming and nice. Good luck to all of you that are interviewing!

Last edited:
Did anyone who got accepted for this cycle feel less than stellar about their interview? I had mine yesterday and I just know I seemed nervous and probably could have articulated my answers better...it would be awesome to know that I'm not crazy for freaking out!!! :bang:

Did anyone who got accepted for this cycle feel less than stellar about their interview? I had mine yesterday and I just know I seemed nervous and probably could have articulated my answers better...it would be awesome to know that I'm not crazy for freaking out!!! :bang:
I haven't gotten in, but I'm in the exact same boat. I felt like my interview was not conversational and I've been worrying about how well I articulated my answers too. Just wanted to let you know you're definitely not alone.

Haha, you know, I felt the same way even though I knew the person that was interviewing me. I kept second guessing myself afterwards (I tend to do that) because of how in depth they were going on some of their scenario questions. Then, 6 days later, I got a call from Dr. Lord saying how impressed my interviewers were with me and offered me a seat. Moral of the story; try not to freak out to much. I did and now I feel silly. I'm sure you did well and I wish you the best of luck!

I know what you mean. I felt I did ok; but not great in my interview. After it was over, I kept going back to the things I said, wishing I could have talked more about my experience and stuff and I started to get really stressed again; so I decided to let it go. I am sure you did great! Think positive:) I wish you the best; hope you get an offer:)

Reactions: 3 users
I know what you mean. I felt I did ok; but not great in my interview. After it was over, I kept going back to the things I said, wishing I could have talked more about my experience and stuff and I started to get really stressed again; so I decided to let it go. I am sure you did great! Think positive:) I wish you the best; hope you get an offer:)

I have done this on after every interview and I really think it's detrimental. You get so caught in up in what wasn't perfect and how you could have performed better...it makes it much harder to objectively assess your performance after the fact. At my Ohio State interview I had about an hour of elation where I thought I rocked it followed by three days of despair that I wasn't as good as I *could* have been. The mind games are real. @_@

I think you're totally right that the best thing to do is let it go. Meditation, visualization exercises, whatever works. Even sing the Frozen song if you have to! :p

Reactions: 6 users
I thought my interview did not go well but I was accepted and received good interview feedback. I wouldn't sweat it. Also, don't get worried if you don't hear back right away - only a small portion of applicants are accepted right after the interview. Most will hear in February.

Reactions: 4 users
I thought my interview did not go well but I was accepted and received good interview feedback. I wouldn't sweat it. Also, don't get worried if you don't hear back right away - only a small portion of applicants are accepted right after the interview. Most will hear in February.
Thank you!! Makes me feel better as I haven't heard yet! Even though the day of interviews they tell us like twenty times only a few people will hear, it still makes ya anxious! Congrats to everyone who has heard though! That's awesome :)

I have done this on after every interview and I really think it's detrimental. You get so caught in up in what wasn't perfect and how you could have performed better...it makes it much harder to objectively assess your performance after the fact. At my Ohio State interview I had about an hour of elation where I thought I rocked it followed by three days of despair that I wasn't as good as I *could* have been. The mind games are real. @_@

I think you're totally right that the best thing to do is let it go. Meditation, visualization exercises, whatever works. Even sing the Frozen song if you have to! :p

Thank you! Typically I haven't felt this way about interviews before because I generally do okay...but I think because this one meant the most to me I was just psyching myself out. Just have to keep reminding myself of everything good I have going on in my life! A good night's sleep, reading everyone's support, and a room of 40 puppies later...I'm feeling much better. Now it's just the waiting game!

For those asking about housing, Governour's Square is very nice. The staff are very personable and maintenance gets back to you quickly if there's any problems.

I was at the dinner this past Friday and got to meet a few people :) I was the one talking about birds and exotics. I am also going to be at the coming dinner this Friday, so if you're going then, look for me!

I was at the dinner this past Friday and got to meet a few people :) I was the one talking about birds and exotics. I am also going to be at the coming dinner this Friday, so if you're going then, look for me!

I'll be at the dinner this coming Friday and the 29th too!

Same here. I thought I could've expanded more and that I only did about average on my interview. Then I was called a few days later. Please do not overthink and over analyze your interviews! You should be proud of yourself that you made it through the hardest part! Stb is right. Most people will find out I February so try to remain calm! Good luck and I'm sure you all did wonderful! ;) think happy thoughts!

If you guys are looking at apartments and are looking for somewhere close and cheap to live alone, I'd recommend Heritage Apartments. It's been taken off the recommended list because some people have had issues with the larger apartments, but my building is all studios and I have lived here the last 4 years and LOVE it here! I have no complaints and my rent is $775 with everything included (water, electric, gas, cable, internet, trash, pet, everything). It's about 2.5 miles from school and you can make it to school in under 5 minutes any time of day. I've even jogged in to school on days when there's been a football game and I knew parking would be a disaster. My apartment is only 365 square feet, but that's been plenty of space. It's a great option for those like myself that absolutely did not want to live with others. My apartment has been quiet and it's in a pretty safe part of town.

I would NOT recommend Heritage if you're looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment as those buildings tend to be loud (several people living in one apartment).

I felt the same way! I wished they asked me more questions about ME and my experiences so I could tell them more! However I do think I did very well, but you never know what they're thinking!

How's it going? Any news for anyone else?

I hve my interview on Saturday but I'm flying into Columbus today. I still have friends who are finishing their undergrad so I'm staying over at their apartment. Hooray for no hotel fees!

I hve my interview on Saturday but I'm flying into Columbus today. I still have friends who are finishing their undergrad so I'm staying over at their apartment. Hooray for no hotel fees!
Yeah, I was lucky in that sense too. I am finishing my Master's in Wooster so I just drove down the day of. Students can also elect to stay with a current veterinary student which is pretty neat I thought!

I offered up my apartment for vetstay last week, and will be doing it again this week :) Will also see some of you at the welcome dinner.

Reactions: 3 users