Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How's it going? Any news for anyone else?

I had my interview this past Saturday the 16th and have not heard anything yet. I am OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Just so everybody knows; it's cold here in Ohioland, so be sure to bring a coat!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I second that! It is rather cold an hour northeast of Columbus! Please take that into consideration if you have an interview!

PreVetMed, I hope you hear from them soon! Wishing the best of luck from Ohio!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I second that! It is rather cold an hour northeast of Columbus! Please take that into consideration if you have an interview!

PreVetMed, I hope you hear from them soon! Wishing the best of luck from Ohio!

Thank you! They said we will definitely know by the end of February, but wit everyone being called less than a week later I imagine I could know this week!

Thank you! They said we will definitely know by the end of February, but wit everyone being called less than a week later I imagine I could know this week!

It's certainly possible but I think the majority of people hear in February (that's what Dr. Lord at our info session). Hang in there as best you can.

If any of you are interested in purchasing some books that'll be needed for first year, I'm selling Millers anatomy, thrall radiology, Wheaters histology, an immunology book, pathology book, feline anatomy book, and also selling a clicker. PM me if you'll be in Columbus and may be interested and I'll let you know the prices (selling most stuff at about half the cost listed on Amazon).

If any of you are interested in purchasing some books that'll be needed for first year, I'm selling Millers anatomy, thrall radiology, Wheaters histology, an immunology book, pathology book, feline anatomy book, and also selling a clicker. PM me if you'll be in Columbus and may be interested and I'll let you know the prices (selling most stuff at about half the cost listed on Amazon).
Are the textbooks super useful? I have a few friends in other professional colleges saying that it depends on the class whether you actually use it or not.

The immunology book, Thralls radiology, and Wheaters Histology were super useful. They all have lots of pictures and are great for getting a better understanding of the conceps. You'll need Thralls first year, third year, and 4th year. Millers Anatomy was like the bible for most people when it came to anatomy and most people used it extensively. I looked at mine maybe 3 times and used mostly the dissection guide, so that one was not useful to me, but most people used theirs extensively. Pathology was useful for me. More so on clinics than first year, but the course was rough first year and I felt better having the book.

Reactions: 1 user
The immunology book, Thralls radiology, and Wheaters Histology were super useful. They all have lots of pictures and are great for getting a better understanding of the conceps. You'll need Thralls first year, third year, and 4th year. Millers Anatomy was like the bible for most people when it came to anatomy and most people used it extensively. I looked at mine maybe 3 times and used mostly the dissection guide, so that one was not useful to me, but most people used theirs extensively. Pathology was useful for me. More so on clinics than first year, but the course was rough first year and I felt better having the book.
We use Dyce more than Millers now. I HIGHLY recommend buying a copy of Dyce.

You may not actually need a clicker. They are looking to switch to Top Hat so you can use your computer or mobile device as a clicker. I'm not sure when they are going to implement it as their clicker system yet but my class gets to be guinea pigs in one of our classes.

GUYS I'M IN, I'M IN!!! Got the call not too long ago!
Good luck to everyone else and DO NOT give up!!!:love:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you guys are looking at apartments and are looking for somewhere close and cheap to live alone, I'd recommend Heritage Apartments. It's been taken off the recommended list because some people have had issues with the larger apartments, but my building is all studios and I have lived here the last 4 years and LOVE it here! I have no complaints and my rent is $775 with everything included (water, electric, gas, cable, internet, trash, pet, everything). It's about 2.5 miles from school and you can make it to school in under 5 minutes any time of day. I've even jogged in to school on days when there's been a football game and I knew parking would be a disaster. My apartment is only 365 square feet, but that's been plenty of space. It's a great option for those like myself that absolutely did not want to live with others. My apartment has been quiet and it's in a pretty safe part of town.

I would NOT recommend Heritage if you're looking for a 1-2 bedroom apartment as those buildings tend to be loud (several people living in one apartment).
I'm living in a two bedroom apartment in Heritage and it's actually pretty quiet. I think you're really paying for location (which has been SO convienent.) There are nicer places for the same rent price but you can't beat how close you are to west campus. We can sometimes hear the people above us walking around or turning on their faucets/shower but it's really not that bad. My neighbors are awesome.. Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves. I would say though that having a "private entrance" type apartment is really your best bet. Just thought I'd give my perspective living in a 2 bedroom there!

Good job!!! Could you post your stats?
OOS first time applicant, female

3.76 GPA overall, but my last 45 is a 3.9.
GRE Q/V: 157/161

Had a lot of research experience, started my own student organization, roughly 2,000 hours animal experience in exotics, small animal & large animal (in order of most hours to least), TA for a class and guest lecturer, fostered service dogs in training, etc.

Things that I think made me stand out the most was that my major is not your average major for a pre-vet student and I'm interested in research and academia, not practice.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me with any questions!

Last edited:
Just accepted my seat! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted my seat! Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall! :)
Same here, I just got the email last night to accept my seat! Those of you who have heard can probably expect one soon! Fingers crossed for all of those that just interviewed!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got the email too. It's great to have physical evidence :D

Would any current students be willing to post a pros/cons list about OSU? I know there have been some made in the past on the "Factors when picking a school" thread, but most of these seem pretty outdated at this point. Some of the possible topics I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in knowing more about are the following:

- **typical caseload in SA/LA/exotics/etc. Do you get to see exotic companion animals in the SA clinic?
- typical cost of living per month (studio/1 bedroom apartments are mostly what I'm interested in)
- likelihood of getting some sort of scholarship
- PBL opportunities?
- what kind of surgical experience do you get/how much of it? (spays, neuters, etc.)
- Do you get exams back? How are these scheduled with the new curriculum?
- Are all classes recorded?
- How are class notes distributed (for free online, printed for you, etc.)?
- Thoughts on the elective courses?
- Is parking easily available to students? If so, how much does it cost? Located near school?
- overall thoughts on the curriculum structure? are there any changes that incoming first years should expect?
- Are you able to freely observe procedures in the hospital (even as first years)?
- job/volunteer opportunities for first years in the teaching hospital?
- thoughts on the location of the school itself
- how long are the summers for students? What years do vet students have the summers available for externships?
- thoughts on the class size?
- how are breaks structured on a typical class day? enough time to workout, study, etc. during this time?
- anything we should know about getting OOS residency that they might not mention during the financial aid presentation?
- any other annoying nuances (or good things)?

I know some of these things are fairly specific and strange, but I'm just trying to get the best picture of the school as I can. Any info on some of these would definitely be appreciated! If anyone else wants to add to this list, feel free!

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! I'll see you at the dinner tonight!

Would any current students be willing to post a pros/cons list about OSU? I know there have been some made in the past on the "Factors when picking a school" thread, but most of these seem pretty outdated at this point. Some of the possible topics I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in knowing more about are the following:

- **typical caseload in SA/LA/exotics/etc. Do you get to see exotic companion animals in the SA clinic?
- typical cost of living per month (studio/1 bedroom apartments are mostly what I'm interested in)
- PBL opportunities?
- what kind of surgical experience do you get/how much of it? (spays, neuters, etc.)
- Is parking easily available to students? If so, how much does it cost? Located near school?
- overall thoughts on the curriculum structure? are there any changes that incoming first years should expect?
- Are you able to freely observe procedures in the hospital (even as first years)?
- how long are the summers for students? What years do vet students have the summers available for externships?
- how are breaks structured on a typical class day? enough time to workout, study, etc. during this time?
- anything we should know about getting OOS residency that they might not mention during the financial aid presentation?

I know some of these things are fairly specific and strange, but I'm just trying to get the best picture of the school as I can. Any info on some of these would definitely be appreciated! If anyone else wants to add to this list, feel free!

These are great questions!

To all those accepted, congratulations! Would any of you be willing to post your stats? I'm reapplying and would love to have some of that info. :) Thanks!

To all those accepted, congratulations! Would any of you be willing to post your stats? I'm reapplying and would love to have some of that info. :) Thanks!
My stats are a few posts above. If you have any more detailed questions feel free to send me a message :)

- PBL opportunities?

I'm a third year. I can answer some questions.

Probably better for a 4th year to answer this one @NStarz @squirrelsrule

My husband and I own a house so I'm not the best for this question either...

3rd year in our SAOP (Small Animal Operative Practice) and Intro to Sx Class we get experience. Most of the labs are on cadavers (suturing/skin closure, hand ties, placing a drain in an equine leg, large animal wound closure, mass removal, visceral/bowl suturing, optho sx, salivary gland excision, lateral ear canal resection, exploratory celiotomy, orthopedics...not sure if I missed something). During the spring of our 3rd year we do a spay or a neuter on a dog and possibly a cat. You work in groups of three so for one sx you are the primary sx, one you are the assistant sx and one you are the anesthesiologist.

During clinics/4th year we have a rotation at a local shelter where you do solo spays/neuters all day. Not entirely sure on what the caseload is like there. (but its my first first rotation so ask me again in May :p)

Exams are not returned but I suspect that is how it works at most vet schools. With any exam, however, you are able to review it with the professor in his/her office. We are beginning to take more and more of our exams on ExamSoft. With that, some professors allow us to review our exams on our laptops after everyone has taken the exam. We usually get half an hour and the program shows you all of the questions you missed. Writing down these questions would be an honor code violation though.

Most classes have a midterm or two and a final. I'd say only a 1/3 or so of our finals are truly cumulative. Midterms range between end of September to beginning of November and then Beginning of february to mid April. I don't think I've ever had two core class exams in one day. They try to space them out to 1-2 a week (not including electives). Finals take about 5 days (with a weekend in between) and we usually have 1 final a day.

Most classes (all of your core classes and any electives that are in the 3 main auditoriums) are podcasted (audio and video recorded) and posted on our Carmen site (like blackboard) at the end of the day or sometimes the next day. Occasionally, with all technology, there is a problem and either the audio doesn't work or it doesn't record at all but it's more reliable now than it was two years ago.

We used to get printed notes at the beginning of each semester that we had to pay for ($70-140ish??) but now everything is electronic for the 1st year class I believe. I would much prefer it that way since I use my ipad for everything and buying the printed notes was such a pain knowing I would probably only use a few pages that they didn't post online. If you're one who likes to take notes on paper you'll have to find some efficient way to print now.

You get to pick 1-2 electives for spring of 1st year. 4-6ish credit hours for each semester 2nd year and 5+ credit hours for each semester 3rd year. (Don't take these numbers to heart, that's just what I remember off the top of my head). I've enjoyed nearly all of the electives I've taken. I only wish that I had room/time to take more! I'm equine focused and have been able to take all of the equine electives plus a couple small animal ones. From what I hear some of the small animal ones have small class sizes and can be hard to get into but I can't really comment on that side of things. Only a couple equine ones have limited availability and I've gotten into everything I wanted.

Parking is available right outside the vet school. A parking pass costs $300 and something for the year. I've heard of roommates splitting a parking pass (you can add multiple license plates but only one can be on campus at a time) but I think it's a bit of an issue if you're not in the same lab groups. Now that the class size is larger for all four years parking has gotten a little tight but it's still not horrible. The lot is open to anyone at OSU with a "C" pass so we do get people from other parts of the university using our lot too. If you get to school late or right before class starts you may have to park in another lot and walk 5-10 minutes to get to class. If you're there by 8:30 or so (or come around noon when people leave for lunch) you should be good.

You are able to shadow in the hospital whenever (I believe) you would like, even first years. You can also take electives such as the emergency and critical care, Equine ICU, Equine Colic Team, and some others that involve signing up for shifts to hang out in the hospital. We are required in 2nd year as part of one of our classes to shadow once in small animal and once in large animal.

There are jobs available for first years to work in the small animal ICU. At the end of first year you can apply to work in the Equine/Food Animal ICU.

I love Columbus! But I have lots of family here (even though I'm technically from NJ/PA) so I may be biased. It's a medium sized city but has lots of areas that feel more suburban. Geography is kinda boring/flat but I'm used to mountains. I have one friend who hates it here but most people seem to like it.

We get a summer break between 1st and 2nd year as well as 2nd and 3rd year. Summers are from beginning of may til mid-late august.

I thought 162 sounded like a lot but honestly I don't even notice it anymore. Every once in a while I see someone whose name I have forgotten but I definitely recognize everyone's face by now. :laugh: Labs are split into 2, 4 or 8 groups so professor to student ratio isn't a huge issue IMO. Classrooms are large enough to accommodate everyone. Sometimes the electives get a little crowded depending on what room you're in but that's only been an issue for 2 of mine.

We typically get 10 minutes between each class (unless a professor runs over... :mad:). Noon to 1 is typically free for lunch but you can sign up for electives during this hour or attend lunch lectures (free food!). I haven't had issues finding time to work out at the end of the day or before class. I usually study at night but some study during lunch or if they get a couple hours break before a lab.

NOT including electives: 1st year is generally 8 or 9 to noon and then 1 to 3 or 4 including labs. 2nd year you will have the most "free time" (but you will also spend the most time studying) so your schedule is more flexible. 2nd year is generally 9 to noon and 1-2 with occasional labs in addition to that. 3rd year is 9 or 10 to noon and then afternoons are mostly spent in labs (1 to 3, 3 to 5, or 1 to 5) but you do get done at noon some days :p.

Try not to stress too much about it. AFAIK, everyone who wanted IS residency in my class got it. You will likely have LOT of questions about this as school gets closer so let us know what specific things you are concerned about. It is also best to contact the residency office directly for an official answer though.

I feel like I just wrote a book and I think I missed some questions.

Since @Stb1473 couldn't answer...

I'm not a current vet student (yet:soexcited:) but I'm finishing up my undergrad at OSU. My boyfriend and I share a 2 bedroom apartment and only pay $928 (allows pets, has washer/dryer, free standing unit, dishwasher, 5 min walk to campus). A studio or one bedroom around here could range from $500-1,200 depending on how nice you want it to be. What you pay is what you get...the more you pay, the nicer and more spacious your accommodations will be. That being said, the further away from campus you live, the lower the price and (sometimes) nicer the housing.

I wouldn't totally knock out the idea of living with others unless you know you absolutely could not stand it...you could get your rent to as cheap as $300 with a roommate and could save big time on your loans.

As far as housing goes, I wouldn't rule out living further from school. I currently live about a 15-20 minute drive away and it's really not that bad. I was at Runaway bay my first year which was probably more like 10-15 minutes from school. We had a 2 bedroom apt for $1060 a month ($530 a person) plus utilities. I lived with a fellow classmate that I had gone to undergrad with and that went HORRIBLY. I wish I would have lived alone or gotten a place with my husband (then fiancé) sooner. Some of my classmates got along with their roommates and and now best friends. Others like me no longer speak to them... I personally think spending all day in class/lab with someone and then coming home and having no escape from the same people is somewhat of a drain but I also am introverted. Some classmates found living with upper classmen to be nice and others lived with students from other professional schools (med students, dental students, ect.). Do what you think is best for you and don't let anyone talk you into a situation you're not completely comfortable with.

I am so nervous to hear back. OSU is my last hope. I am not sure I can swallow another rejection.

I highly recommend Old Henderson Square. A lot of my classmates live in Governours Square, the Quarry, and Runaway Bay. I'm not thrilled with my housing situation this year so if I move, I'll likely move to Old Henderson Square. Once you accept your spot in the class they'll send you a list of recommended places.

YOU SHOULD DEF MOVE TO OLD HENDERSON SQUARE!! Not biased or anything...! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
was too excited yesterday to post but interviewed on the 16th and got the call from Dr. Lord yesterday morning! can't wait! this is surreal!!!! :D :D :D ....oh, and OOS, first applicant

So I've been a lurker of SDN for a long time and decided to finally join lol. I interviewed the 6th and got an acceptance call on the 13th. I'm an OOS applicant with a not so stellar undergrad GPA (medical reasons) and proof you can still get in!! I still can't believe I'm going to be a Buckeye! I'm so excited to meet everybody this fall. Now, I'm just trying to figure out about living arrangements (too soon? lol). I haven't lived with anybody but my boyfriend for 4 years so I think having a roommate might not be ideal for me unless I have my own bathroom. But I want to bring my 85# pitbull with me and I would like to have a fence in yard for him. If anybody living there has any recommendations I would gladly take them :D. Thanks for asking/answering those questions. Super helpful!!

Last edited:
Got the call about a week ago but just accepted my seat. Looking forward to meeting you all this fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all who've been accepted so far. For those who just interviewed or have yet to do so, don't give up! There's a lot of seats left to fill and a lot of time left.

So I've been a lurker of SDN for a long time and decided to finally join lol. I interviewed the 6th and got an acceptance call on the 13th. I'm an OOS applicant with a not so stellar undergrad GPA (medical reasons) and proof you can still get in!! I still can't believe I'm going to be a Buckeye! I'm so excited to meet everybody this fall. Now, I'm just trying to figure out about living arrangements (too soon? lol). I haven't lived with anybody but my boyfriend for 4 years so I think having a roommate might not be ideal for me unless I have my own bathroom. But I want to bring my 85# pitbull with me and I would like to have a fence in yard for him. If anybody living there has any recommendations I would gladly take them :D. Thanks for asking/answering those questions. Super helpful!!

Welcome! Love your username, BTW! If you could have any dragon from that series, breed-wise, which would you captain?

Welcome! Love your username, BTW! If you could have any dragon from that series, breed-wise, which would you captain?

Thank you! I was wondering if anybody would get the reference! Lol. I obviously would love a Celestial, but since Celestials are so difficult to get and you would have to be in the royal family... I'm a sucker for huge breeds of anything (dogs, cats, you name it) so , I would love a Regal Copper!
How about you? Love the nerdy talk btw lol

My detailed stats are in the Accepted C/O 2020 applicants forum. That has a lot of great info in it from different people.

Thank you! I was wondering if anybody would get the reference! Lol. I obviously would love a Celestial, but since Celestials are so difficult to get and you would have to be in the royal family... I'm a sucker for huge breeds of anything (dogs, cats, you name it) so , I would love a Regal Copper!
How about you? Love the nerdy talk btw lol

Gotta love the south american breeds from the later books :) But Kyo (who was a water spitter) was awesome too.

Just accepted my seat!!! Can't wait to meet everyone :soexcited:

(ignore the fact that I'm doing this at 1am...)

What is the snow situation at Ohio State? I know your weather is variable but when it does snow how much do you get? I just cleared 3 feet of snow from my driveway, 'cuz snowpocalypse, so I thought I'd ask.

What is the snow situation at Ohio State? I know your weather is variable but when it does snow how much do you get? I just cleared 3 feet of snow from my driveway, 'cuz snowpocalypse, so I thought I'd ask.
We don't get 3 feet of snow. Right now we have no snow, it's 45 degrees and windy. We usually get some snow each winter but we haven't gotten much this year. And by some I mean a few inches at a time at the most. Never 3 feet.

We don't get 3 feet of snow. Right now we have no snow, it's 45 degrees and windy. We usually get some snow each winter but we haven't gotten much this year. And by some I mean a few inches at a time at the most. Never 3 feet.

It is such a weird experience that I would see 45 degrees and think 'wow, that sounds great.' I'm so ready for snow to be done.

It is such a weird experience that I would see 45 degrees and think 'wow, that sounds great.' I'm so ready for snow to be done.
It's only going to be 45 for a few more hours. Then the bottom is falling out and it's going to be winter again. Ohio's weather is bipolar.

I'm going to be moving from a southern state where our temp. is 71 right now. I'm going to need a whole new wardrobe! Lol :cold:

Last edited:
Yeah, not much snow here. I wear sandals all year and there have only been a few days where I needed shoes because the snow was deeper than my sandals. Like 6 inches I think is the max in the last 4 years lol. We do get a lot of ice though! They don't really salt well here and the parkinglots become ice rinks, I hate it. No issues yet this year, but the worst is always February it seems. It'll be like 20 and windy for days and everything will be icy.

Squirrels isn't kidding about the ice. I've landed on my rear end in our parking lot more times than I care to admit.

ETA: I'm also quite clumsy - most people do not fall :laugh:

Last edited:
Squirrels isn't kidding about the ice. I've landed on my rear end in our parking lot more times than I care to admit.

ETA: I'm also quite clumsy - most people do not fall :laugh:

It's not just you. It's not winter in OH until you've fallen on your butt at least once.