Program-Specific Info / Q's Ohio State/Pittsburg/Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mull015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who applied to OSU, Pitt or Tufts heard anything from them?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that OSU will not begin reviewing applications until their winter break so not at least until December.

Reactions: 1 user
*following*

I am planning on applying to OSU and Pitt during next cycle, so I just want to see how it goes for this one. Also, would you mind posting your stats? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with the people at the OT department at OSU and they said the earliest people would hear back was around February!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied last year and heard back from Pittsburgh mid December and Ohio State mid February.

*following*

I am planning on applying to OSU and Pitt during next cycle, so I just want to see how it goes for this one. Also, would you mind posting your stats? Thanks!

University: University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Major: Psychology with biology minor
Overall GPA: 3.0 (last 60 hours ~3.5)
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.7/3.8 (higher for some schools, depends on their pre-reqs)
GRE: Verbal: 156 Quantitative: 152 Analytical: 4

Extra-Curric: Psi Chi, Bearcat Buddies, Chem Cats, symBIOsis, research assistant in auditory perception and cognition lab and experiment leader.

Volunteer (observation): ~40 hours in pediatric clinic, ~100 hours at Southern Wisconsin Center (adult facility)

Work: intern at southern Wisconsin center, counselor for individuals with disabilities, independent in home care for kids with autism/SPD, 2 years behavioral therapist for kids with autism, caregiver for little girl who has reactive attachment disorder/SPD and her two sisters.

Letters of recommendation: Advisor, professor, supervisor, two OTs.

Yes, I got into both! I was really excited. Pitt was my first acceptance so I committed early, but later turned down the offer when I received a scholarship from another school. Pitt doesn't offer financial aid, at least, I've never heard of them doing so. And OSU was way too expensive for an out of state student. I think it was a little over $100k. Both programs are absolutely wonderful, and OSU has a huge focus on neuro-rehab, so if you're interested in stroke/TBI it would be a great school to attend. However, all schools offer a broad training in all areas of OT, so pick the one that best fits you! :)

Yes, I got into both! I was really excited. Pitt was my first acceptance so I committed early, but later turned down the offer when I received a scholarship from another school. Pitt doesn't offer financial aid, at least, I've never heard of them doing so. And OSU was way too expensive for an out of state student. I think it was a little over $100k. Both programs are absolutely wonderful, and OSU has a huge focus on neuro-rehab, so if you're interested in stroke/TBI it would be a great school to attend. However, all schools offer a broad training in all areas of OT, so pick the one that best fits you! :)

Wow! What school did you decide to attend? Would you mind posting your stats?

Sure! I decided on Thomas Jefferson, they offer a lot of hands on opportunities in the first semester and offered me aid/scholarships. It was definitely my best option on all levels (financial, curriculum, reputation) out of the programs I applied to. Like I said, you will find that program that you absolutely click with and that makes the most sense for you! Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

University: Penn State
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.75
Prereq GPA: 3.74 - 4.0 depending on the school
GRE: 154 V, 156 Q, 5.5 AWA
OTCAS verified: September 19th
OT Observation Hours: 24 hours in SNF, 68 hours in hand therapy, 16 in outpatient care
Extra-cirric: 80 hours creating programs to help children with autism, ODD, and ADHD develop friendships and positive social skills, Resident Assistant for 3 years, 500 hours volunteering for Penn State's THON to raise money for and support children and their families battling pediatric cancer, Occupational Therapy Club, Adopt-A-School, National Residence Hall Honorary, Be a Match member, Merchandise Chair, tutor for students with disabilities, resident assistant mentor, and a little research experience.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Pitt, Sacred Heart, Utica, Ohio State, Misericorida U
Acceptances: University of Pittsburgh (12/18), Temple(1/18), Ohio State(2/26), Misericordia (3/25), Thomas Jefferson (4/3)
Rejections: N/A
Waitlisted: Thomas Jefferson (2/14)
Interviews: Sacred Heart(declined), Utica(declined), Misericordia(3/15)
Attending: Thomas Jefferson

Sure! I decided on Thomas Jefferson, they offer a lot of hands on opportunities in the first semester and offered me aid/scholarships. It was definitely my best option on all levels (financial, curriculum, reputation) out of the programs I applied to. Like I said, you will find that program that you absolutely click with and that makes the most sense for you! Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions :)

OT Observation Hours: 24 hours in SNF, 68 hours in hand therapy, 16 in outpatient care
Extra-cirric: 80 hours creating programs to help children with autism, ODD, and ADHD develop friendships and positive social skills, Resident Assistant for 3 years, 500 hours volunteering for Penn State's THON to raise money for and support children and their families battling pediatric cancer, Occupational Therapy Club, Adopt-A-School, National Residence Hall Honorary, Be a Match member, Merchandise Chair, tutor for students with disabilities, resident assistant mentor, and a little research experience.

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Temple, Pitt, Sacred Heart, Utica, Ohio State, Misericorida U
Acceptances: University of Pittsburgh (12/18), Temple(1/18), Ohio State(2/26), Misericordia (3/25), Thomas Jefferson (4/3)

Oh wow!!! Well I'm glad you like Thomas Jefferson! I applied there and am still waiting to hear from them. I'm just hoping I get in somewhere!

Thanks for posting!! OSU is my top choice right now, and luckily for me it would be in-state. Now I just need to work on beefing up my application!! I've read that OSU likes diversity.....so I'm hoping that in their eyes, my degree in music education plus being in the military will help. I also just got a job as a rehab tech working with OT's, PT's, and SLP's. My cum GPA is 3.58, but once I finish prereqs it should be at least 3.6+. I'm planning on taking the GRE in February, and I am going to be able to get a lot of my observation hours this summer, hopefully including a military hospital! Any other ideas of ways to improve my app?

Thanks for posting!! OSU is my top choice right now, and luckily for me it would be in-state. Now I just need to work on beefing up my application!! I've read that OSU likes diversity.....so I'm hoping that in their eyes, my degree in music education plus being in the military will help. I also just got a job as a rehab tech working with OT's, PT's, and SLP's. My cum GPA is 3.58, but once I finish prereqs it should be at least 3.6+. I'm planning on taking the GRE in February, and I am going to be able to get a lot of my observation hours this summer, hopefully including a military hospital! Any other ideas of ways to improve my app?

I think diversity is a big thing--look for a lot of different shadowing opportunities. I was lucky that both of the OTs I shadowed offered to write me letters of recommendation. I also already have a lot of OT experience from my internship and various mental health jobs. So for instance I already know how to write treatment plans and goals and have written my own and had them approved for various clients and have them all without any identifying information in my portfolio. I'm hoping that having that sort of thing will help me stand out. So I guess I would suggest looking for any hands on opportunities like that. Long term things look good too. I've seen a lot of people with A TON of shadowing. I would definitely get at least 100 hours. I also think your personal statement is really important so I wrote mine 5 months before I applied so that I had enough time to make sure it was exactly what I wanted it to be. I also know exactly what I want to do so I was able to have a lot of really specific experience to put on my resume and talk about in my personal statement. I of course am not an admissions officer and I haven't heard back from any schools yet but if you have any other questions feel free to message me! Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)

When did you submit your application to Temple? So many of us this year are anxiously awaiting to hear back from Temple since they do use rolling admissions. I heard they had just begun reviewing applications last week or the week before so I am wondering when you applied since you heard back in January.

My OTCAS was verified on sept 19th. I know others heard back earlier from temple than I did. They are very random with their offers. We talked a lot about temple and other Philly schools on a thread called philadelphia applicants for 2013-2014 or something along those lines, but that thread details when a lot of others heard back.

I think diversity is a big thing--look for a lot of different shadowing opportunities. I was lucky that both of the OTs I shadowed offered to write me letters of recommendation. I also already have a lot of OT experience from my internship and various mental health jobs. So for instance I already know how to write treatment plans and goals and have written my own and had them approved for various clients and have them all without any identifying information in my portfolio. I'm hoping that having that sort of thing will help me stand out. So I guess I would suggest looking for any hands on opportunities like that. Long term things look good too. I've seen a lot of people with A TON of shadowing. I would definitely get at least 100 hours. I also think your personal statement is really important so I wrote mine 5 months before I applied so that I had enough time to make sure it was exactly what I wanted it to be. I also know exactly what I want to do so I was able to have a lot of really specific experience to put on my resume and talk about in my personal statement. I of course am not an admissions officer and I haven't heard back from any schools yet but if you have any other questions feel free to message me! Hope that helps!

Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind! I am hoping that my new job will help give me some good experience and maybe a little bit of a leg up in the whole process too!

My OTCAS was verified on sept 19th. I know others heard back earlier from temple than I did. They are very random with their offers. We talked a lot about temple and other Philly schools on a thread called philadelphia applicants for 2013-2014 or something along those lines, but that thread details when a lot of others heard back.

Okay, I wasn't sure if you sent off your application to them immediately or sent it at a later date after your application was verified. That is so crazy. :\ I guess I won't get my hopes up for hearing back anytime soon, especially since they are behind this year.

Oh I actually forgot about that part, you're right, they confirmed they received my app in late September I believe. Either way since it was rolling, I thought I'd hear back much earlier. And I feel like schools keep getting more and more apps each year and they aren't prepared for the amount of volume each time. I emailed schools about when I'd hear of a decision when they didn't have contact with me for a long time. Don't hesitate to do that!

Oh I actually forgot about that part, you're right, they confirmed they received my app in late September I believe. Either way since it was rolling, I thought I'd hear back much earlier. And I feel like schools keep getting more and more apps each year and they aren't prepared for the amount of volume each time. I emailed schools about when I'd hear of a decision when they didn't have contact with me for a long time. Don't hesitate to do that!

Did you have any prerequisites that you were working on during the fall when you applied by any chance? I heard that if you have outstanding prereqs they don't review those applications until December. I don't have any prereqs for Temple anymore, but since I know they are behind with reviewing applications, I still don't think I'll hear back for a while :\

I heard from Pittsburg today, she told me that my application is complete and will be reviewed with the first group at the end of November and that I can expect to hear from the admissions committee by February!

I heard from Pittsburg today, she told me that my application is complete and will be reviewed with the first group at the end of November and that I can expect to hear from the admissions committee by February!
did you e-mail and ask the woman specifically about that???

did you e-mail and ask the woman specifically about that???

I e-mailed to update them on accepting a position as an occupational therapy aide and asked if my application was complete and she responded with that.

I received an e-mail from pitt yesterday saying that my application is officially under review and that I will hear from them by february but possibly earlier.

i'm currently finishing up some prerequisites this semester, do you think that they aren't reviewing my application until they get my transcript with these grades on them? I applied back in the beginning of September and haven't heard anything. should I call?

I received an e-mail from pitt yesterday saying that my application is officially under review and that I will hear from them by february but possibly earlier.
i'm currently finishing up some prerequisites this semester, do you think that they aren't reviewing my application until they get my transcript with these grades on them? I applied back in the beginning of September and haven't heard anything. should I call?

I'm not sure, I had received an e-mail from Pitt asking about a prerequisite a few months ago but I think all of my prereqs are completed and they just wanted to know if i had taken a stats class. I had emailed them last month just checking on my application so it wouldn't hurt for you to email and ask if they have everything they need for your application!

@mull015 I received the same email with the same timeline that my app was under review and I heard about my acceptance the next day! It was an awesome surprise. You could literally hear back any day now! : )
@LBMOT Pitt will not review your app until all of your prerequisites are completed, at least that is how it was last year. I emailed them to ask and they said that is their process. However, by emailing them, they asked for my mid semester grade to do a "pre-review" to make sure I had everything in my app. It ended up that after the "pre-review" they accepted me before my pre-reqs were completed anyway; however, I only believe this was because I was proactive and inquired. I would suggest contacting them!

Has anyone heard anything from Pitt lately? I received an email back in early December saying that I would hear back by February. I know it's still January but I am getting anxious!

Has anyone heard anything from Pitt lately? I received an email back in early December saying that I would hear back by February. I know it's still January but I am getting anxious!

I think they're gradually letting people know, I know of two people who heard back and got in in the past few weeks. Haven't heard yet myself though!

thanks for that update @vlm26
did you receive that email in December as well? Waiting to hear back is the worst! Good luck to you :)

thanks for that update @vlm26
did you receive that email in December as well? Waiting to hear back is the worst! Good luck to you :)
Yep, got the email in December that it was received! I know they said that they'll let most people know in feb though so I haven't really followed up with them.

I was notified via email a few hours ago that I was wait listed for Pitt's program. In case anyone is wondering, they were not willing to share how many students are wait listed and they do not rank wait listed students because it changes due to rolling admissions. If anyone has some insight or experience with the wait list at Pitt, I'd appreciate it if you could share.

And the current cost of the program for out of state students is $81,300.

Good luck to all the other applicants!!

When did you submit your application to Pitt?

I heard back from Pitt today with notification that I was waitlisted as well. Which is ok I guess, especially considering the price tag as an out-of-state student. Ouch.

Hello all, just thought I would inform you that I was rejected from Pitt today.

I was rejected from Pitt back in Jan.
But I just got an email today saying I was waitlisted at OSU. In the email they do say that rolling admissions go until the class is full and decision letters can be sent as late as May o_O

I got accepted 2/4 after meeting with a professor 1/30... If you guys still haven't heard back and are around town, I suggest to contact them and ask if you can meet a faculty member to find more about the program. I got to speak with a faculty member and got accepted literally 3 days later.

I have to make a deposit by this Friday, and still deciding if it's worth it because of the out-of-state tuition...