Ohio State with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePetDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is already a thread out there similar to this please let me know (and I apologize for a repeat post)

I have an undergrad cGPA of a 3.098. I was in grad school for one semester before realizing that I hated the program and wanted to follow my dream instead of my family's. I had a 3.9. My problem is, since I already have a degree and hundreds of credits, no amount of A's in pre-req's will really bring up my undergrad GPA. Even calculating my grad GPA with undergrad barely brought it to a 3.2. Curious if other students have gotten into Ohio State with under a 3.2 (at open house, the lady said they rarely accept students with under a 3.2 even though their GPA cut off is a 3.0. She said it's not impossible but unlikely. She also said GRE isn't looked at heavily so I'm really stuck). I do have my eyes on some of the newer schools like Midwestern and schools that accept lower GPA's but OSU is my in state so of course it's where I would rather go.

I was in an undergrad program where a 75% or higher was passing and that's all I really cared about. (I've also always worked 2-3 jobs so that decreased a lot of studying time which lead to the C's = degrees attitude, but that's still no excuse). Of course, now I have since changed my attitude but still work 2 jobs, though I'm going to quit one so I'm not so stretched for time. I'm considering going back and completing my Master's while completing the rest of the pre-req's to show that I can handle a graduate program and also have something to fall back on in case I sabotaged myself in undergrad. I'm just worried that no amount of improvement or work will really make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'm especially worried because 2 weeks ago I found out I had undiagnosed ADD which was brought out by the rigorous science courseload I took on. I was dumb about it and thought "17 credit hours of just science classes and 2 jobs won't be that bad." so this semester has been absolutely horrible where grades are concerned. I already withdrew from one class knocking me down to 13 credits, and I'm thinking about getting approval to withdraw from another (bringing me to 8) just so a D or F won't be on my transcript. I'm just there at the D/F mark. I know I can use the explanation statement on the VMCAS to explain my performance this semester relating to ADD but I don't want them to think I'm just using it as an excuse. I worked so hard, but not being able to focus, concentrate, and understand puts a damper on all attempts to succeed. Since I've been put on medication though, tests went from 50% to 84%, so clearly I'm showing improvement. The class I might fail has me worried just because his final is cumulative, he's teaching 5 chapters worth of new info and not testing us on it before the final - so new info + old info will all be on the final - and this is the most notoriously hard class at my university. A lot of pre-meds that are in the dual BS/MD program are failing or close to failing so I'm not actually alone in this. I'm just really scared ha. I wasn't able to be put on medication before taking the 3 tests in that class so....well you probably get the point.

Sorry for the huge amount of information. I'm just terrified I'm going to crush all my dreams I'm working to hard to follow.

Members don't see this ad.

People have gotten into vet school with that low of a GPA, so I don't think it's a 100% predictor of failure. It's probably a lot harder, though.

So you're having problems with some of your pre-reqs still, despite medication? Maybe your study methods could use an overhaul. They might be ineffective or just not right for you. How do you study?

And it's great that you dream of being a vet. Try to follow it. But if it does't work out, that's OK. Life will go on. You will find something else that brings you fulfillment. Look at me. I used to have that dream. I realized it wasn't going to work. I found ways to still enjoy life. :)

In all honesty, it is probably going to be hard to get into Ohio State with a GPA of 3.01. Impossible? Not necessarily-- applicants are evaluated on more than their GPAs-- but certainly difficult.

Do you have a lot of experience, veterinary and animal? Do you have unique experiences? Do you have research experience? What aspects of your background and experiences, academically and otherwise, demonstrate to vet schools that you would be successful in vet school and in contributing to the veterinary field? These are all things to think about.

And while they may not weigh the GRE as heavily as some other schools, it would still be a good plan to try and do as well on it as possible to help compensate for your GPA. :thumbup:

It is also worth noting that there are plenty of people around here who have gotten into vet school with lower GPAs. Check out the Successful Applicant Stats threads from years past (they should come up if you do search for that) to take a look at what numbers people have gotten accepted with and where. Do your research on how different vet schools evaluate applicants-- some weigh things like GPA and GRE scores differently. Also think about whether you are willing to apply more than once, as it isn't uncommon for applicants to not get in on their first attempt, and what your backup plan might be if you aren't accepted. There are a lot of really neat ways to work with animals as a career; vet med is far from being the only one.

Good luck:luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
... (at open house, the lady said they rarely accept students with under a 3.2 even though their GPA cut off is a 3.0. She said it's not impossible but unlikely. She also said GRE isn't looked at heavily so I'm really stuck)...

... I'm considering going back and completing my Master's while completing the rest of the pre-req's to show that I can handle a graduate program and also have something to fall back on in case I sabotaged myself in undergrad. I'm just worried that no amount of improvement or work will really make a difference in the grand scheme of things....

At least someone at OSU admissions was honest with you. I'm on my fourth cycle with OSU (instate and alma mater X2). I had a 3.3 from undergrad and I have a 3.6 in my graduate studies. This is the first year I'm applying having completed my Master's. My previous attempts were unsuccessful. I've retaken pre-reqs, increased my experience hours every year, and pursued an advanced degree that is relevant to veterinary medicine. Unfortunately, OSU is just one of those schools where GPA is the largest determinant.

This year they have instituted some changes in their admissions policies (published policies). The most critical being the retirement of the science pre-req GPA in favor of a cumulative science GPA (this is something that has traditionally hurt my standings). They have also designated some courses as "capstones" and it appears they will be using the grades from those specific courses as a way to weed out applicants (i.e. it's important that you have done well in microbio, physiology, biochemistry, and communications/speech). Now when it comes to unpublished policies, I have heard from multiple sources that the school has been discussing how to deal with students who have advanced degrees. One way that was supposedly discussed was to weigh graduate level science credits more heavily to give those students a boost in GPA calculations (I haven't heard if they were going to try this approach or not). Another policy that I was told but is not advertised (and I'll find out soon if what I was told was true or not) is that OSU extends interview offers to everyone who applies with a completed Master's.

So, if you have a deficient GPA and you're interested in graduate school and feel confident in your abilities to finish a Master's program, that may be your best chance at gaining admission at OSU.

Reactions: 1 users
I got in with around a 3.2-3.3, BUT I had other unique circumstances that resulted in me getting an interview. Essentially, without those circumstances I would not have been considered, so I'm an exception to the rule big time. I think our class' average was 3.6 or so. Mine would be the little blip of an outlier on the weird part of the graph :p

In my case, despite having graduate/professional level work, I retook old undergraduate courses. OSU replaces old grades with new ones, so it really helps boost undergraduate GPA. Additionally they've changed how they weigh pre-requisites, so emphasis is placed on certain courses (which are ones I'd retake if need be).

Reactions: 1 user
At least someone at OSU admissions was honest with you. I'm on my fourth cycle with OSU (instate and alma mater X2). I had a 3.3 from undergrad and I have a 3.6 in my graduate studies. This is the first year I'm applying having completed my Master's. My previous attempts were unsuccessful. I've retaken pre-reqs, increased my experience hours every year, and pursued an advanced degree that is relevant to veterinary medicine. Unfortunately, OSU is just one of those schools where GPA is the largest determinant.

This year they have instituted some changes in their admissions policies (published policies). The most critical being the retirement of the science pre-req GPA in favor of a cumulative science GPA (this is something that has traditionally hurt my standings). They have also designated some courses as "capstones" and it appears they will be using the grades from those specific courses as a way to weed out applicants (i.e. it's important that you have done well in microbio, physiology, biochemistry, and communications/speech). Now when it comes to unpublished policies, I have heard from multiple sources that the school has been discussing how to deal with students who have advanced degrees. One way that was supposedly discussed was to weigh graduate level science credits more heavily to give those students a boost in GPA calculations (I haven't heard if they were going to try this approach or not). Another policy that I was told but is not advertised (and I'll find out soon if what I was told was true or not) is that OSU extends interview offers to everyone who applies with a completed Master's.

So, if you have a deficient GPA and you're interested in graduate school and feel confident in your abilities to finish a Master's program, that may be your best chance at gaining admission at OSU.

Interesting! Where did you hear about the Graduate degree and its correlation with an interview??

Interesting! Where did you hear about the Graduate degree and its correlation with an interview??

The director of my program is a faculty member at the vet school and works on the committee that makes decisions regarding admissions. He told me about graduate degrees and interviews at least twice in the last year (the last time was at my exit interview in May/June). I feel like he is a good source of information but I'm always hesitant to believe anything at face value that isn't publicly posted. I feel like that kind of policy could change at any time without notice and most people would be none the wiser. I really really hope it's true though.

The director of my program is a faculty member at the vet school and works on the committee that makes decisions regarding admissions. He told me about graduate degrees and interviews at least twice in the last year (the last time was at my exit interview in May/June). I feel like he is a good source of information but I'm always hesitant to believe anything at face value that isn't publicly posted. I feel like that kind of policy could change at any time without notice and most people would be none the wiser. I really really hope it's true though.

Wow - I actually have hope after reading this. Thank you for sharing! My undergrad was a nightmare with the loss of my dad graduating with only a 3.02, hence me pursing and graduating with an MS. What program were you a part of that you heard this? Im not looking to reach out to anyone to confirm this, just really curious of the details. Do you think it matters whether these graduate applicants are IS or OOS?

It is a very tough uphill battle to be accepted with your GPA anywhere, let alone trying to get into one particular school. Sure, the ADD diagnosis can help explain your previous poor grades, but you need to demonstrate that you now have it under control and can be a successful student with your ADD. (Remember, vet school is just four more years of being a student in very rigorous courses.) That means re-taking and ace-ing the pre-reqs and tough sciences that tripped you up before to prove yourself.

How does the rest of your application look - experience hours, etc? It sounds as though you need a couple of years to get your grades in order and strengthen your application before you apply. And I would strongly recommend researching schools to find those that favor strong upward/last 45 credit trends (Minnesota and KSU come to mind).

It is a very tough uphill battle to be accepted with your GPA anywhere, let alone trying to get into one particular school. Sure, the ADD diagnosis can help explain your previous poor grades, but you need to demonstrate that you now have it under control and can be a successful student with your ADD. (Remember, vet school is just four more years of being a student in very rigorous courses.) That means re-taking and ace-ing the pre-reqs and tough sciences that tripped you up before to prove yourself.

How does the rest of your application look - experience hours, etc? It sounds as though you need a couple of years to get your grades in order and strengthen your application before you apply. And I would strongly recommend researching schools to find those that favor strong upward/last 45 credit trends (Minnesota and KSU come to mind).

This. You don't need to apologize for things in the past but you need to demonstrate that you have dealt with or are actively dealing with any challenges you've faced. An upward trend since that setback will show this and also suggests you're determined to work towards your goal.

Honest, I didn't think I could do better in biochem etc but I retook them and got As in as many as possible. Some things are easier a second time around.

Wow - I actually have hope after reading this. Thank you for sharing! My undergrad was a nightmare with the loss of my dad graduating with only a 3.02, hence me pursing and graduating with an MS. What program were you a part of that you heard this? Im not looking to reach out to anyone to confirm this, just really curious of the details. Do you think it matters whether these graduate applicants are IS or OOS?

Veterinary Public Health

I was under the impression that IS and OOS didn't matter though that was never explicitly stated. Master's and PhD's represent a very small fraction of the applicant pool across all schools and all cycles. I can't imagine that OSU gets more than 30 applicants, IS or OOS, with completed advanced degrees in any one year. That would be less than 10% of interviews granted (OSU usually does 400-450 interviews every year).

In all honesty, it is probably going to be hard to get into Ohio State with a GPA of 3.01. Impossible? Not necessarily-- applicants are evaluated on more than their GPAs-- but certainly difficult.

Do you have a lot of experience, veterinary and animal? Do you have unique experiences? Do you have research experience? What aspects of your background and experiences, academically and otherwise, demonstrate to vet schools that you would be successful in vet school and in contributing to the veterinary field? These are all things to think about.

And while they may not weigh the GRE as heavily as some other schools, it would still be a good plan to try and do as well on it as possible to help compensate for your GPA. :thumbup:

It is also worth noting that there are plenty of people around here who have gotten into vet school with lower GPAs. Check out the Successful Applicant Stats threads from years past (they should come up if you do search for that) to take a look at what numbers people have gotten accepted with and where. Do your research on how different vet schools evaluate applicants-- some weigh things like GPA and GRE scores differently. Also think about whether you are willing to apply more than once, as it isn't uncommon for applicants to not get in on their first attempt, and what your backup plan might be if you aren't accepted. There are a lot of really neat ways to work with animals as a career; vet med is far from being the only one.

Good luck:luck:

I'm working on getting some unique experiences. I've been volunteering with a mix practice for over a year and the vet I'm directly working with is allowing me to assist him with knee replacement surgeries. I shadowed a lab animal vet for 2 days and want to continue to do that during breaks (the only vet that agreed to let me shadow was a 3.5 hour drive from me. Of course), I worked at a clinic that provided boarding services for dogs that were used in dog fights or abused in another way and it is also an ER. I worked in the kennel so I was actually taking care of those dogs. It helped me decide to go to vet school actually. I volunteer at the humane society. I think I might try to start working at a raptor center that's close to me. I just have to figure out if I can realistically do that (time wise). Not the most unique experiences ever but I'm trying. Over winter break I'm going to shadow a farm animal veterinarian for as long as possible and build a relationship with him too. I'm also applying to intern at the Ohio Wildlife Center for spring and maybe an internship over summer at a zoo. I'm going to Thailand at the end of May to take care of elephants and work under a vet in one of their shelters for 2 weeks. I have about 300 hours of research from grad school but I'm definitely trying to do more research! I was in nursing school and although it's not as hard as vet school, I feel like it at least shows I can handle a stressful, face paced program.
I looked at that forum awhile back and it was helpful in a way. I started looking at schools I didn't have initial interest in and then ended up really liking. But I was more curious with the GPA relating to OSU. I'm going to apply to 3 or 4 schools. OSU is one, but the others are going to be ones that don't weigh cGPA so heavy.

I saw a few responses down after I quoted this which program you were in and I met with your director! He was super helpful in regards to the VPH and DVM programs. He didn't make me feel like I didn't have a shot at all but he stressed how hard I have to work. Then gave me tips on how to succeed on the GRE and what not. I told him to be as straight forward as possible and feel like he was. I ended up leaving the meeting putting OSU back on my list of possible schools (I originally took it off because I didn't think I stood a chance). I really like him. But I get why you're hesitant to believe him. It's like, he's a faculty member there so you should believe what he says, but since it's not stated anywhere it's hard to. Heck I just contacted OSU to get my physiology class evaluated and the website says 5-10 credits, my class is 4, and they responded that it transfers completely and the website credit hours are just guidelines. I'm still so hesitant to believe that and think I should take another class "just in case".

I've already shown improvement this semester just by being put on medication. Of course, not enough to get an A in all my classes. But I'm confident next semester is going to be a lot better because of it and kind of show that I have it all under control and can excel. I was in nursing school so I can handle the rigor (I know it's not as hard as vet school, please don't think that's what I'm saying). This semester was just a set back because of my brain chemical make up. I actually prefer rigorous courseloads and did my best having 20 credits (3.9 GPA for those semesters). I really like to be busy all the time and like I said, I wouldn't be working in vet school so I can actually spend more time learning about how bodies work instead of tediously putting clothes back on a rack.

I have about 1000 hours in vet experience. By the time I apply it will be more. I heard that having great experiences can compensate for a lower GPA. May not be true for OSU but it's worth trying. I've already learned so much. I have NAVLE practice questions emailed to me every morning and I can answer 85% of them right just based off what I learned from the mix practice I'm volunteering at. (I explained more of my experiences earlier in this post, in case you skipped through it).

Thank you all for being as kind and helpful as you have been. I'm obviously very stressed over this so I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to me!

This. You don't need to apologize for things in the past but you need to demonstrate that you have dealt with or are actively dealing with any challenges you've faced. An upward trend since that setback will show this and also suggests you're determined to work towards your goal.

Honest, I didn't think I could do better in biochem etc but I retook them and got As in as many as possible. Some things are easier a second time around.

Off topic, but this was true for me with General Biology (yeah...I didn't go down the pre-vet path very far xD). I started studying for it a year in advance of taking it! I read one biology book and half of another one. The third time through when I was reading the book for my actual class, everything was at least somewhat familiar. I already pretty much knew the big concepts. So, I could focus on the gazillions of details and I was able to ace that class so hard! ^_^

I'm obviously very stressed over this so I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to me!

No problem! I hope all your hard work pays off! :D

If there is already a thread out there similar to this please let me know (and I apologize for a repeat post)

I have an undergrad cGPA of a 3.098. I was in grad school for one semester before realizing that I hated the program and wanted to follow my dream instead of my family's. I had a 3.9. My problem is, since I already have a degree and hundreds of credits, no amount of A's in pre-req's will really bring up my undergrad GPA. Even calculating my grad GPA with undergrad barely brought it to a 3.2. Curious if other students have gotten into Ohio State with under a 3.2 (at open house, the lady said they rarely accept students with under a 3.2 even though their GPA cut off is a 3.0. She said it's not impossible but unlikely. She also said GRE isn't looked at heavily so I'm really stuck). I do have my eyes on some of the newer schools like Midwestern and schools that accept lower GPA's but OSU is my in state so of course it's where I would rather go.

I was in an undergrad program where a 75% or higher was passing and that's all I really cared about. (I've also always worked 2-3 jobs so that decreased a lot of studying time which lead to the C's = degrees attitude, but that's still no excuse). Of course, now I have since changed my attitude but still work 2 jobs, though I'm going to quit one so I'm not so stretched for time. I'm considering going back and completing my Master's while completing the rest of the pre-req's to show that I can handle a graduate program and also have something to fall back on in case I sabotaged myself in undergrad. I'm just worried that no amount of improvement or work will really make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'm especially worried because 2 weeks ago I found out I had undiagnosed ADD which was brought out by the rigorous science courseload I took on. I was dumb about it and thought "17 credit hours of just science classes and 2 jobs won't be that bad." so this semester has been absolutely horrible where grades are concerned. I already withdrew from one class knocking me down to 13 credits, and I'm thinking about getting approval to withdraw from another (bringing me to 8) just so a D or F won't be on my transcript. I'm just there at the D/F mark. I know I can use the explanation statement on the VMCAS to explain my performance this semester relating to ADD but I don't want them to think I'm just using it as an excuse. I worked so hard, but not being able to focus, concentrate, and understand puts a damper on all attempts to succeed. Since I've been put on medication though, tests went from 50% to 84%, so clearly I'm showing improvement. The class I might fail has me worried just because his final is cumulative, he's teaching 5 chapters worth of new info and not testing us on it before the final - so new info + old info will all be on the final - and this is the most notoriously hard class at my university. A lot of pre-meds that are in the dual BS/MD program are failing or close to failing so I'm not actually alone in this. I'm just really scared ha. I wasn't able to be put on medication before taking the 3 tests in that class so....well you probably get the point.

Sorry for the huge amount of information. I'm just terrified I'm going to crush all my dreams I'm working to hard to follow.
You can definitely get in!! My GPA was around a 3.03, GRE above 300 but I have a lot of research and different animal experience and I just received an interview invite. You are a super smart kid, don't limit yourself kiddo :D

That's so awesome! Congrats on your interview! I hope everything goes great:cat: (and thanks for reinstating my hopes).

That's so awesome! Congrats on your interview! I hope everything goes great:cat: (and thanks for reinstating my hopes).