Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No love for OU yet? This is my number one choice!!! Here's hoping :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No love for OU yet? This is my number one choice!!! Here's hoping :)

Athens is a great place. I went here for grad school and hope to be back for med school too! It's at the top of my list as well.

Athens is a great place. I went here for grad school and hope to be back for med school too! It's at the top of my list as well.

I'm planning to visit Athens sometime this summer or in the fall just as a mini weekend getaway. Any suggestions on places to stay or things to do?

I'm planning to visit Athens sometime this summer or in the fall just as a mini weekend getaway. Any suggestions on places to stay or things to do?

Not too many hotels around. The Ohio University Inn or the Holiday Inn Express are the best bets.

To do: lots of local restaurants/bars and shops located uptown (Athens version of downtown). Recommend Zoe's (nicer place) or Casa Neuva (organic, local sourced "hippie" mexican with great margaritas and local bands) to eat. Good hiking all around as well if you like the outdoors.

A mini weekend getaway to Athens?? Hmm... unless you're coming to see the school (or party :nod: ) there isn't a whole lot to do. Which is why it's great to go to medical school here. Only thing to do is study! But Court street will make you feel like you're in college again if you want a little break :laugh:

A mini weekend getaway to Athens?? Hmm... unless you're coming to see the school (or party :nod: ) there isn't a whole lot to do. Which is why it's great to go to medical school here. Only thing to do is study! But Court street will make you feel like you're in college again if you want a little break :laugh:

Party? never! :rolleyes: I've never seen the campus despite having several friends who went to OU for undergrad so that's what I planned on doing. Might need to invest in some hiking boots if I'm gonna go DO though. All these schools are in east boofoo forest. :D

Party? never! :rolleyes: I've never seen the campus despite having several friends who went to OU for undergrad so that's what I planned on doing. Might need to invest in some hiking boots if I'm gonna go DO though. All these schools are in east boofoo forest. :D

Coincidentally, there's some great hiking in the area. :p

In all seriousness though... if you're looking into visiting the campus, contact the admissions office and set up an appointment. The staff is great with visitors, and often you'll have a chance to look into the different curriculum tracks (there's a PBL-based one and a traditional lecture-based track), talk to students, etc.

I love to recommend to people thinking about applying to read The DOs, by Dr. Norman Gevitz (ISBN-10: 0801878349 ISBN-13: 978-0801878343). Actually, the summer reading has been the same for like 3 years or more, and I would suggest reading those before an interview.

I had been wait listed before getting in, and I learned from my first interview that the school offers a recruiting video. I am pretty sure you can request a copy of that video.

Between the video and the book, you get a good idea for the school is looking for and what they can offer (both great talking points).

In my time stuck on the wait list, I took a series of classes that helped me greatly. I would suggest a strong immunology class. The block associated with immunology (I&I) is a grind, and you continue to have immunology every block after that. The school will offer a list of what they like to see. It has classes like histology, anatomy, pharmacology, etc. I think any of these will make your life easier with any medical school.

My benefit came from taking grad level classes to help stand out during my second application process. The real benefit, after a year of reflection, is that they helped change the way I approached school.

Finally, good luck. Each year, they seem to have more applications than the previous year, and I believe the class size has stopped growing after a few years of gradual growth. It is hard, but you will be better for the journey. I hope to see you at friday interviews over the next year.

Quick question guys...

So I have shadowed 3 different DO's and a couple MD's. However nobody that I got to know very well. Thus I don't have a letter of recommendation from either, rather only a couple from teachers and one from a research director. I saw on the website that they "Strongly recommend" a letter from a DO. I have solid gpa (3.75) and am projecting a MCAT in the upper 20's. Will this lack of a recommendation from a DO hurt me very much?

Thanks so much!

Quick question guys...

So I have shadowed 3 different DO's and a couple MD's. However nobody that I got to know very well. Thus I don't have a letter of recommendation from either, rather only a couple from teachers and one from a research director. I saw on the website that they "Strongly recommend" a letter from a DO. I have solid gpa (3.75) and am projecting a MCAT in the upper 20's. Will this lack of a recommendation from a DO hurt me very much?

Thanks so much!

I would definitely get a let of rec from a DO. Otherwise they might think you look at DO as "backup" school. Even if you didn't get close to the DO's the you shadowed, ASK THEM! It is part of the Osteopathic philosophy to look out for each other and every DO I've met is happy to help someone going into the Osteopathic field. It can't hurt! You can add letters of rec at any time to your application as well, so if you are applying for 2013 you can shadow one of those DO's again and try to get a little closer then ask him or her later.

Good luck!

Really excited about applying here, even if I have to sign a 5yr contract. Their international program looks amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of my top choices! Can't wait to hear from this school!

Just received my confirmation email that the school received my AACOMAS application. Here we go!

just got an email from them:

The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM) has received your primary application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). Your application will go through an initial review to determine your status. Secondary application materials, if eligible, and initial status information, will be sent to the e-mail address listed in your AACOMAS application.

When does their secondary app generally come out?

just got an email from them:

The Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM) has received your primary application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS). Your application will go through an initial review to determine your status. Secondary application materials, if eligible, and initial status information, will be sent to the e-mail address listed in your AACOMAS application.

I got the same email. Hopefully they'll send out secondaries to in-staters first!

Fellow Ohio-an who just got his OU-HCOM confirmation!

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming months!

Just got my confirmation too!

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say sometime in late July/early August, after the incoming class has finished orientation and the III's have started rotations.

Good luck! :)

Secondary received. In state.

We have to mail our secondary? What? No electronic? :bang:

Just got my oos secondary! Yeee haaawww

So whats with this personal statement? You guys doing a little copy and paste from your AACOMAS? Or rewriting entirely?

Has anyone gotten into this school without a D.O. LOR?

Has anyone gotten into this school without a D.O. LOR?

I would like to know this as well. I've got a really strong MD letter I submitted with the 2 science letters today in the secondary. Hope it will suffice....

I would like to know this as well. I've got a really strong MD letter I submitted with the 2 science letters today in the secondary. Hope it will suffice....

i know at least one person who only had LOR from MD and he is starting in august. I'll only have LOR's from an MD too. The only DO's that i know are still in residency or med school, so no one to shadow.

good luck everyone--- submitting the secondary tonight!

So whats with this personal statement? You guys doing a little copy and paste from your AACOMAS? Or rewriting entirely?

rewrite entirely... this is your specific chance to explain yourself as to why you chose OU to apply to... its the way to make sure that you actually know a little about it or have a reason to apply there other than numbers of their past matriculants (like most people do... guilty as well).

rewrite entirely... this is your specific chance to explain yourself as to why you chose OU to apply to... its the way to make sure that you actually know a little about it or have a reason to apply there other than numbers of their past matriculants (like most people do... guilty as well).

Yea i ended up rewriting Entirely. They should be getting my secondary today!

Super excited about this place! I got a secondary yesterday and while I was at work today I was talking to a physician who went here; he had so many positive things to say about the school which has really moved OU-HCOM near the top of my list!

is there way to type on this document? or do we hand write?

does FAP apply to this school?

Forgot to send a check with my secondary :smack:

I honestly feel bad for you, but cant lie I kinda smiled only because I was one second away from sending it at the post office before realizing the check was still in my wallet. I wouldve been so pissed.

I honestly feel bad for you, but cant lie I kinda smiled only because I was one second away from sending it at the post office before realizing the check was still in my wallet. I wouldve been so pissed.

That is basically what happened to me! Honestly it's not a big deal, just a dumb mistake lol

so how would you apply FAP to this application? no box to check

I hear that even though they make you sign a 5 year intent to practice contract if your out of state they still accept very little out of state applicants. Anybody know to what extent they accept out of state applicants?

Can someone post the prompts for the secondary?

Can someone post the prompts for the secondary?

The Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University is interested in finding out more about you as an applicant. to enable us to gain a better understanding of your activities, working experiences, and personal philosophy and their relationship to osteopathic medicine, you are asked ot complete this secondary application form. Please be open, candid and honest in your responses. Feel free to draw on your school experiences, extra-curricular, or working experiences as a basis for your answer.

In the space provided below,indicate: why you wish to become an osteopathic physician; why you wish to attend the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine; and any additional information you feel the college should know about you.