Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1st Non-refundable Deposit - $100 – due as follows:
those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14
those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days
those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days
those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit

2nd Non-refundable Deposit - $500 by May 15
those accepted on or after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit

Deposits are credited to your first-year tuition and fees.

link

(And it's by cash)

Good luck on Fri!

We actually prefer check or money order. We aren't set up for credit cards - yet :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So very excited to get the acceptance email this morning! Really loved my interview day and I'm looking forward to going back for the PreCOM weekend!

So very excited to get the acceptance email this morning! Really loved my interview day and I'm looking forward to going back for the PreCOM weekend!

Congrats BabyDoc!!!I know you were really looking foreword to an interview here and finally got one!

I sincerely think OUCOM is one of the best medical schools in the nation, certainly the best DO school.

Has anyone heard anything from the 1/25 interview?

Could anyone please share the info about how to submit our deposits? I still have yet to receive my official letter in the mail, and it's due by next Tuesday. Haven't gotten any response via email with the admissions office, either.

You are supposed to send 100$ check or money order to them. That's what I did, I called them for this information.

Edit: the email said to include an intent. So I included a one sentence letter saying "I intend to accept the offer for admissions to Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine" or something like that.

Last edited:
The information about the check or money order is abosolutely correct. I do want to make sure that you at least received your acceptance email and apologize that you have not yet received your official letter. Would you mind telling me the email address you used when you sent an inquiry? We seem to be having trouble with email and I'm trying to pinpoint the source so we can get the problem fixed. You can email me directly at [email protected]. Thanks!

I submitted my application WAYYY back in early July and haven't heard a THING from them, except that my file has been completed and is ready for review, other blah blah blah. ARGHH! :mad:

LUCKILY, I've been accepted to LECOM-Erie Class of 2017, PHEW :D

I submitted my application WAYYY back in early July and haven't heard a THING from them, except that my file has been completed and is ready for review, other blah blah blah. ARGHH! :mad:

LUCKILY, I've been accepted to LECOM-Erie Class of 2017, PHEW :D

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the opposite situation, not a peep from LECOM since last Aug.

Congrats on the LECOM acceptance!

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the opposite situation, not a peep from LECOM since last Aug.

Congrats on the LECOM acceptance!

I have heard from either since August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete at the start of September. Didn't hear a peep until an II came along in January. There is still some time left, try and stay positive.

Hey I mean I got a really quick II and was waitlisted. Sadly this was probably my favorite school I've interviewed at, and IS tuition to boot. Maybe I can get quick movement on the waitlist before I get too far invested somewhere else. C'est la vie stay positive folks!

Words of advice from a member of the class of 2016 oucom. If you havnt heard from OUCOM you can call them. One of the best features of this school is that they are more than willing to talk to you and give you advice. If you have been waitlisted, CALL THEM. Ask them what was weak on your application and how you might be able to address it. If you can address these problems before they start going through the waitlist (sometime in may i think), you might have a chance of getting a higher rank on that waitlist. Just make some changes that they suggest and send in a update letter explaining what you have done to make yourself a better applicant.

I know I am rather behind but I'm trying to finish up this secondary. Did people write almost two essays answering why DO and then why OU? I'm also planning on what I want the adcoms to know paragraph or two. Did you guys find a way to make these one jumbo essay or did you answer them separably?

I know I am rather behind but I'm trying to finish up this secondary. Did people write almost two essays answering why DO and then why OU? I'm also planning on what I want the adcoms to know paragraph or two. Did you guys find a way to make these one jumbo essay or did you answer them separably?

Are you still applying with a 3.34/2.97/23? I'd probably try to improve and wait until next year to apply. I heard they are rather full and their acceptance stats are ~3.6/28.

^^Thanks for your advice and you are probably right on some level, but I feel I need to apply. My cum gpa is the same but I increased my mcat by a few points and my science was not being calculated correctly, so that is also higher.

If you haven't even finished the essays yet, I'd say wait and try again next year, it's simply too late in this cycle.

I answered them separately with a transition in between.

Just FYI for any OOSer waiting on the OOS Scholars Program, letters were mailed yesterday.

On the OU-HCOM PDF page, it says they provide a computer and other technology. Does anyone know what all they give you?

On the OU-HCOM PDF page, it says they provide a computer and other technology. Does anyone know what all they give you?

From my interview day, I was under the impression we were supposed to provide our own laptops/computers, since we were given the preferred components list. Is that what you mean?

I'm not sure. We were told at my interview day that they don't "give" you a laptop, but you are required to have one that meets their specs. I'm not sure what that fee is implying.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2013cib/2013cib-OU-HCOM.pdf

The above link says fees include a laptop and other technology. Am I interpreting that wrong?

Hi! Thanks for posting this question and the link where you saw this information. The AACOM CIB only contains the most general information since we have limited space. For a more detailed look at what our incoming students need, please visit http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/omi/ComputerRequirement.htm.

There will most likely be additional software that you'll need to have installed once you are here (e.g. Aperio for histology slides), but that will all be taken care of for you during orientation. The important thing is just to have a laptop that meets our specs.

Hope that helps, but if not, please keep the questions coming!:)

Is a MacBook not acceptable?

I wouldn't say they aren't acceptable, they are just not preferred. Many of our students have them. I think there is just a little tweak that we need to do to Macs to make them compatible with some of the programs we use.

Just a side note...Our in-house IT people do not service Macs so if something does go wrong, you would have to use the university IT help desk (it isn't a huge deal, just a little inconvenient).

The fee is just an estimate budget for your loan considerations. Looking at the laptops in the library it seems like maybe 50% of the students have macs. Further I have had 0 problems with mine regarding the software/hardware demands, meanwhile I know several students that have had windows problems due to all the junkware microsoft taps on.

Does anyone know how full this class is?

I'd speculate at least 90%. Interviews are until April which doesn't give us much time. I don't have an interview invite yet and I'm in-state with a Lizzy M score of 63.7. I have been complete for over six month. I really, really like this school and was really hoping to have an interview here even if it is for the waitlist.

Good luck to you.

What is a Lizzy M score? What were your MCAT/ sGPA/cGPA?

Dr. Schriner was at my school yesterday and he said the class is pretty much full, but the latest date for interviews is April 19th!

His presentation was pretty amazing, because he discussed the expansion to the columbus and cleveland campuses. I'll be applying next cycle, and really hope I get into OUHCOM!

sort of jumping the gun here but does anyone know if next year they will hold interviews in Athens and Columbus (for students who expressed preference for this campus)?
I am excited for the new campus, it looks incredible on the virtual tour and I'd like to see it in person

I have an interview march 29, does anyone have any advice for me? This is my number 1 school so any advice would be awesome!!

I have an interview march 29, does anyone have any advice for me? This is my number 1 school so any advice would be awesome!!

I don't have any advice, but congrats! I wish I were in your shoes right now!

sort of jumping the gun here but does anyone know if next year they will hold interviews in Athens and Columbus (for students who expressed preference for this campus)?
I am excited for the new campus, it looks incredible on the virtual tour and I'd like to see it in person

It is awesome to hear you are excited about the new campus! The plan for now is that all interviews will take place in Athens and you will interview with selection committee members who are only interviewing other candidates interested in Dublin.

The inside of the buildings are still being retrofitted to meet our needs and that won't be finished until March or so of 2014, so we decided not to even attempt to interview at that site until everything was in place. We will most likely host an open house event there for everyone in late spring 2014 so you can see everything before classes start next July.

It will probably be a different story though for those planning to enter in 2015 as we do plan to hold some interviews on-site in Dublin.

Last edited:
Love it when adcom's reply on their school's thread, always a good indication.
Looking forward to an interview here next cycle!

No interviews were held on March 22, but we will have one on March 29, April 5, April 12 and April 19. April 19 will be the last interview day for the season.

Spots are still available, however, if we get to the point that we only have alternate/waitlist spots available, we will tell you that when we notify you of the interview.

I have an interview on the 5th of April with Ohio university. I am very excited. do u have any advise as to what to expect at the interview. also if u could share with me some of the interview questions that will be greatly appreciated

I have an interview on the 5th of April with Ohio university. I am very excited. do u have any advise as to what to expect at the interview. also if u could share with me some of the interview questions that will be greatly appreciated

Check out the interview feedback tab, it was very helpful.

If anyone from today's interview gets a phone call tonight, post it on here please!!!