Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to derail this thread in any way, but I was wondering if anyone could chime in (Ms. Harman maybe?) about if they have heard back from OU-HCOM's SURF program for this summer or when letters went out last year? I am super excited to apply here and can't wait to hear back about this summer!

Also good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not to derail this thread in any way, but I was wondering if anyone could chime in (Ms. Harman maybe?) about if they have heard back from OU-HCOM's SURF program for this summer or when letters went out last year? I am super excited to apply here and can't wait to hear back about this summer!

Also good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Hi!

We are expecting decisions to come back from the SURF committee early this week, so no official decisions have been sent to anyone yet.

The process will be that the first four students selected will be notified via email from the admissions office on behalf of the SURF application review committee. Those students will have a deadline by which they need to accept their spot. If a spot is declined, then the next student on the committee's list will be contacted. This will continue until we have confirmation of all four spots. Once the spots have all been confirmed, a final decision notice will be sent to all applicants.

I know waiting for summer program decisions can be stressful, but please know we appreciate your patience and that we will defnitely be sharing news as it becomes available. As always, feel free to check in with our office at 1.800.345.1560 (M-F, 8-5 EST) for information on your application.

Thanks for the question! :)

Hi!

We are expecting decisions to come back from the SURF committee early this week, so no official decisions have been sent to anyone yet.

The process will be that the first four students selected will be notified via email from the admissions office on behalf of the SURF application review committee. Those students will have a deadline by which they need to accept their spot. If a spot is declined, then the next student on the committee's list will be contacted. This will continue until we have confirmation of all four spots. Once the spots have all been confirmed, a final decision notice will be sent to all applicants.

I know waiting for summer program decisions can be stressful, but please know we appreciate your patience and that we will defnitely be sharing news as it becomes available. As always, feel free to check in with our office at 1.800.345.1560 (M-F, 8-5 EST) for information on your application.

Thanks for the question! :)

Thank you! It's always great to see participation by administration on these forums. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Will those not selected receive some sort of notification after all spots have been filled? Or is it just a silent rejection process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! It's always great to see participation by administration on these forums. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Will those not selected receive some sort of notification after all spots have been filled? Or is it just a silent rejection process.

Yes, we will be sending letters to everyone who applied letting them know the final decision.

Thanks for the feedback about admins posting too. I do want to be helpful, but I also want to be respectful of the fact that this is primarily a student to student forum. I don't want student members to feel like I'm encroaching in a forum that is meant for them, but I will try to be helpful whenever I can.

Have a great day!:)

Just like Darth, not to continue being off topic but I was wondering if anyone has any news about the summer programs? (Summer Scholars Program) I know the website says "early April" we'll find out decisions but I'm anxious to find out a specific date...I'm guessing either this week or next week ?

Good Luck to everyone applying this cycle ! :xf:

Just like Darth, not to continue being off topic but I was wondering if anyone has any news about the summer programs? (Summer Scholars Program) I know the website says "early April" we'll find out decisions but I'm anxious to find out a specific date...I'm guessing either this week or next week ?

Good Luck to everyone applying this cycle ! :xf:

Thanks for the question!

The first offer of SURF acceptances did go out yesterday afternoon (4/2), but the Summer Scholars notices will be delayed a bit this year due to administrative changes to the program. We still hope to have those out by mid April since we know folks need this information to make appropriate plans for the summer. Hang in there! :)

Thanks for the question!

The first offer of SURF acceptances did go out yesterday afternoon (4/2), but the Summer Scholars notices will be delayed a bit this year due to administrative changes to the program. We still hope to have those out by mid April since we know folks need this information to make appropriate plans for the summer. Hang in there! :)

I have a question about the SURF program. In an email I received, the application mentioned something about there being a guaranteed interview possible at OUCOM. Does doing the SURF program make someone a more competitive applicant, and is the program a guaranteed interview?

I have a question about the SURF program. In an email I received, the application mentioned something about there being a guaranteed interview possible at OUCOM. Does doing the SURF program make someone a more competitive applicant, and is the program a guaranteed interview?
I was a SURF participant a couple years ago, so feel free to send me any questions that you may have. Unless things have changed, all SURF participants who completed their AACOMAS application were given an interview near the end of the SURF program. Did it make me a more competitive applicant? I don't know if I would phrase it like that, but it certainly didn't hurt my chances. It was kind of like I had a 6 week long interview. It gave me an opportunity to get a good feel for the school and to know if it was a good fit for me, while at the same time the admissions staff and the professors I worked with got to know me on a personal level. It was a great experience. I believe all SURF participants in my group who interviewed were offered acceptances. I ended up postponing medical school for medical reasons, but I am looking forward to starting this fall at OU-HCOM!

Hi everyone,

I have an interview on April 19th, which sounds like it may be the last interview date, and was wondering if anyone had any advice about how formal the interviews are and that sort of thing. I have a feeling the odds are against me but I am not treating it that way, since there must be some spots if they are taking the time to interview me! Thanks!

When did you recieve your Interview invite?
Snail mail ?
Congrats !!

Hi everyone,

I have an interview on April 19th, which sounds like it may be the last interview date, and was wondering if anyone had any advice about how formal the interviews are and that sort of thing. I have a feeling the odds are against me but I am not treating it that way, since there must be some spots if they are taking the time to interview me! Thanks!

I love your attitude coming into the interview! You are correct that we do still have spots available. If we didn't, we would certainly tell canidates that up front. I can also tell you that our interviews are quite conversational and they are open-file (meaning the interviewer has all of your application information in front of them). I won't go into more detail because I think you should hear from other students who've experienced the process, but if you want to chat about the interview day with me, you can email me at [email protected]. Best of luck!

Hi! I received the II Monday (4/8) via email.

Hi do you know if Interviews are still being handed out?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did those that were not initially accepted into the SURF program get any form of notification? Still haven't heard anything. Hoping I at least made the wait list!

Interviews for a place in our entering class of 2013 will conclude on Friday, April 19. Except for any last minute decisions, all of our invitations to interview have been issued. A last minute decision would be if a confirmed interviewee suddenly declines the interview and we feel we have time to invite someone else in their place.

Interviews for a place in our entering class of 2013 will conclude on Friday, April 19. Except for any last minute decisions, all of our invitations to interview have been issued. A last minute decision would be if a confirmed interviewee suddenly declines the interview and we feel we have time to invite someone else in their place.

Darn!

Thanks for being responsive and nice over the phone.

Good luck everyone!

Any former Summer Scholars that could tell me what the Summer Scholars program is like?

Last edited:
Well the last deposit to reserve my seat for the Class of 2017 is in the mail and on its way..... I love OUHCOM!! : D Just got my apartment this past weekend as well. Everything just got real... :O:scared::eek::D:naughty:

Good luck to all the final interviewers tomorrow! Don't let the fact that it is the last interview discourage you at all. I was a later interview applicant last year also.

Hope to see your smiling faces roaming around tomorrow! Best of luck!

Anybody heard of any waitlist movement yet?

Hi! I interviewed this past Friday (4/19), and I was put on the waitlist so I do not if there is movement but I do know it just became a little longer. From what I understand though, the alternate list will be ranked around May 1 based on GPA and test scores etc. and then you probably know most of the movement will happen beginning May 15. Hopefully, for both of us, there is quite a bit! Good luck!

I will be declining my acceptance. Good luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Does anyone know around how many people are on the waitlist?

Does anyone know around how many people are on the waitlist?

Hello!

It is our policy not to disclose how many people are on the alternate (wait) list. We also do not tell candidates where they are positioned on the list. What I can say is that your colleagues are correct that most of the movement occurs after May 15 and that it is possible that we'll be taking students up through the first week of orientation. July 22 would most likely be the last day we could accept a student into the class.

Can you guys please post if you get a call from Dr. Schriner now?! Good luck!!

Can you guys please post if you get a call from Dr. Schriner now?! Good luck!!

Hello All!

I just wanted to post a quick note to say that we have begun taking people from our alternate list today (5/16).

As we've stated before, we cannot tell you where you are on the list, but please know that should your name come up, you will receive a personal phone call from either Dr. Schriner or me (Jill Harman). We have no way of predicting how many more people we will take from the list, but we do have the potential to call people as late as July 22. I understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone but please be as patient as you can.

If you are an accepted student and you have decided not to attend OU-HCOM, please let the admissions office know as soon as possible so that we may give your spot to a deserving person on our alternate list. We won't be angry (sad perhaps, but not angry), so please don't hesitate to communicate your plans with us.

Hello All!

I just wanted to post a quick note to say that we have begun taking people from our alternate list today (5/16).

As we've stated before, we cannot tell you where you are on the list, but please know that should your name come up, you will receive a personal phone call from either Dr. Schriner or me (Jill Harman). We have no way of predicting how many more people we will take from the list, but we do have the potential to call people as late as July 22. I understand that this is a very stressful time for everyone but please be as patient as you can.

If you are an accepted student and you have decided not to attend OU-HCOM, please let the admissions office know as soon as possible so that we may give your spot to a deserving person on our alternate list. We won't be angry (sad perhaps, but not angry), so please don't hesitate to communicate your plans with us.

Wow thanks for the info. Love that you guys are here keeping us up to date.

Thank you for keeping us updated during these very stressful times. We truly appreciate any information in what seems like a dark abyss.
I have a few burning questions, and chances are you are unable to answer it due to the nature of the process, but I feel I must ask:
I assume the majority of waitlist movement is shortly after May 15th. Is this correct? What kind of movement is OU-HCOM seeing this year in comparison to past years? Is this not a reliable way to gauge how much movement will occur? How often does movement occur after the initial May 15th movement?
I love OU-HCOM and nothing would make me happier to begin my medical career here. I was told not to give up hope, yet. I guess I'm just trying to grasp at any additional information. :)

Hello All!

Thank you for keeping us updated during these very stressful times. We truly appreciate any information in what seems like a dark abyss.
I have a few burning questions, and chances are you are unable to answer it due to the nature of the process, but I feel I must ask:
I assume the majority of waitlist movement is shortly after May 15th. Is this correct? What kind of movement is OU-HCOM seeing this year in comparison to past years? Is this not a reliable way to gauge how much movement will occur? How often does movement occur after the initial May 15th movement?
I love OU-HCOM and nothing would make me happier to begin my medical career here. I was told not to give up hope, yet. I guess I'm just trying to grasp at any additional information. :)

I'm happy to answer these questions. :)

We do tend to see the majority of waitlist movement after May 15 as that is the date that multiple acceptances at allopathic schools must be let go. The osteopathic world doesn't have that same guideline as of yet, so out of courtesy, we see many students voluntarily giving up their spots at osteopathic schools on and after May 15 too. However, students may still hold multiple acceptances at osteopathic schools until they matriculate to a particular school (this understandably drives admissions offices a little crazy since students can be lost to other osteopathic schools at any time).

Waitlist activity varies greatly from year to year and sometimes we can go far into it if students have already accepted spots elsewhere by the time we call. This year we seem to have folks leaving the class in spurts as compared to a trickle. All in all though, I would say this is a fairly typical year and we will be taking more students from the list before July 22.

I'm happy to answer these questions. :)

We do tend to see the majority of waitlist movement after May 15 as that is the date that multiple acceptances at allopathic schools must be let go. The osteopathic world doesn't have that same guideline as of yet, so out of courtesy, we see many students voluntarily giving up their spots at osteopathic schools on and after May 15 too. However, students may still hold multiple acceptances at osteopathic schools until they matriculate to a particular school (this understandably drives admissions offices a little crazy since students can be lost to other osteopathic schools at any time).

Waitlist activity varies greatly from year to year and sometimes we can go far into it if students have already accepted spots elsewhere by the time we call. This year we seem to have folks leaving the class in spurts as compared to a trickle. All in all though, I would say this is a fairly typical year and we will be taking more students from the list before July 22.

I have a question meep meep: how are out of state students viewed? How competitive is it to get in from out of state and what are the GPAs, both science and cumulative, and MCAT for out of state students to be considered "in the running"?

I have a question meep meep: how are out of state students viewed? How competitive is it to get in from out of state and what are the GPAs, both science and cumulative, and MCAT for out of state students to be considered "in the running"?

This is a very popular question and I'm probably going to give a very long answer. :) We typically like to see out-of-state applicants with science GPAs and MCATs that are close to our averages of 3.6 and 27 (keep in mind we take the highest sub-score from multiple test dates to make a new total, combined score).

However, having said that, we actually do read each file that becomes complete (meaning that all required paperwork has been submitted), so we are very interested in what each student, out-of-state or in-state can bring to the class. Students slightly below the numbers mentioned above can still have a very good chance based on upward grade trends, letters of recommendation, clinical/shadowing experience, research experience, community service, and desire to be an osteopathic physician (your essays are extremely important!).

Sort of related to this question... we see tons people anxious to know "what they need to get in" or what "they need to do to get an interview". We know folks are looking for a quantitative answer, but the truth is it is very difficult to give one. There are many, many in and out-of-state people who apply with grades and MCATs far above our averages but they may never get an interview, or if they do get an interview, they may not be a good match for our program and therefore our selection committee may choose not to accept them.

The best advice I can give to potential applicants is, apply when you feel you have done all you can to be the best applicant possible and then let the process run its course. Also, remember that there is no law that says one has to enter medical school immediately upon graduation. Everyone takes a different path and that is completely okay.

Apologies for the mini-dissertation on applications-I guess I'm feeling very philosophical this morning.:)

Please keep your questions coming and I will do my best to answer them (maybe even under 5,000 words next time!).

This is a very popular question and I'm probably going to give a very long answer. :) We typically like to see out-of-state applicants with science GPAs and MCATs that are close to our averages of 3.6 and 27 (keep in mind we take the highest sub-score from multiple test dates to make a new total, combined score).

However, having said that, we actually do read each file that becomes complete (meaning that all required paperwork has been submitted), so we are very interested in what each student, out-of-state or in-state can bring to the class. Students slightly below the numbers mentioned above can still have a very good chance based on upward grade trends, letters of recommendation, clinical/shadowing experience, research experience, community service, and desire to be an osteopathic physician (your essays are extremely important!).

Sort of related to this question... we see tons people anxious to know "what they need to get in" or what "they need to do to get an interview". We know folks are looking for a quantitative answer, but the truth is it is very difficult to give one. There are many, many in and out-of-state people who apply with grades and MCATs far above our averages but they may never get an interview, or if they do get an interview, they may not be a good match for our program and therefore our selection committee may choose not to accept them.

The best advice I can give to potential applicants is, apply when you feel you have done all you can to be the best applicant possible and then let the process run its course. Also, remember that there is no law that says one has to enter medical school immediately upon graduation. Everyone takes a different path and that is completely okay.

Apologies for the mini-dissertation on applications-I guess I'm feeling very philosophical this morning.:)

Please keep your questions coming and I will do my best to answer them (maybe even under 5,000 words next time!).

Thank you for the prompt response!

So for an out of state student, What would be the "Danger Zone" for science GPA and MCAT scores, where they would have to get above this threshold to have a realistic shot? Where you would recommend someone spend more time on their grades for their application before applying?The 3.3 mark? 3.2? 25 MCAT?

At Ohio, can a high MCAT make up for a low GPA and vice versa?

Does Ohio have some love for surrounding out of state students like from Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc?

Again thank you for the response! You are a wealth of information :)

Where you would recommend someone spend more time on their grades for their application before applying?The 3.3 mark? 3.2? 25 MCAT?

i would also like to know about the IS threshold and if someone could be accepted with a 3.3/3.2?

i would also like to know about the IS threshold and if someone could be accepted with a 3.3/3.2?

While I cannot speak for the school, I am an accepted student here (IS) and can maybe offer a little advice. My GPA is right around a 3.2 so to answer your question, yes, it is possible to get in with that GPA. I know of others who have also gotten in with around this GPA too. Remember, 3.6 is an average so there are going to be people above and below that number. There is no doubt that having good numbers helps, but it isn't the magical ticket to medical school....there are lots of ways to get there if it's something that you want.

Medical school admissions can't be broken down into an exact formula (although I'm sure we'd all really like it if that were possible!). Try not to worry so much about the specific number they are looking for. It's just not that simple. GPA can be a difficult thing to improve upon depending on the number of credits you've already taken/how many classes you want to retake/cost/employment/etc. With that said, do whatever is in your power to make yourself the best applicant you can be. That could mean retaking some classes, doing exceptionally well on the MCAT, having lots of clinical exposure or shadowing, a unique volunteer experience, research, a career, etc., etc. If you feel your GPA is weak or not an accurate representation of your abilities then show them why with the other areas of your application.

Last edited:
Thank you for the prompt response!

So for an out of state student, What would be the "Danger Zone" for science GPA and MCAT scores, where they would have to get above this threshold to have a realistic shot? Where you would recommend someone spend more time on their grades for their application before applying?The 3.3 mark? 3.2? 25 MCAT?

At Ohio, can a high MCAT make up for a low GPA and vice versa?

Does Ohio have some love for surrounding out of state students like from Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc?

Again thank you for the response! You are a wealth of information :)

Thanks so much for the kind words!

The advice that we give to the out-of-state students is that it is worth it to apply as long as you are meeting the minimum threshold to receive a secondary application. That number is either a 3.25 natural science GPA OR an MCAT of 24. Anything above that is a realistic shot given that other areas of the application are at least average or better.

Yes, we can balance a higher GPA with a lower MCAT and vice versa, but we look very carefully at grade trends and courses taken, so we can tell if someone is slacking off academically but tests really well. Our institutional research is showing that the higher the natural science GPA and number of biological science hours a student takes predicts success within our either of our two curricular tracks. The MCAT is obviously still important as success on that test will usually predict your success on the national board exams.

HCOM has love for students from everywhere!:love: (sorry, just really wanted to try out a new emoticon there). While there is no denying that we do give preference to Ohio residents, we truly do welcome applications from all states. The important thing is for out of state students to keep an open mind about Ohio, OU-HCOM and that pesky contract for admission.

Man, anyone on here hear anything? I'm on two in-state wait lists and would love to get some sleep haha.

(BTW slow day at work so far if you need to get ahold of me Meep Meep. lol)

Thanks so much for the kind words!

The advice that we give to the out-of-state students is that it is worth it to apply as long as you are meeting the minimum threshold to receive a secondary application. That number is either a 3.25 natural science GPA OR an MCAT of 24. Anything above that is a realistic shot given that other areas of the application are at least average or better.

Yes, we can balance a higher GPA with a lower MCAT and vice versa, but we look very carefully at grade trends and courses taken, so we can tell if someone is slacking off academically but tests really well. Our institutional research is showing that the higher the natural science GPA and number of biological science hours a student takes predicts success within our either of our two curricular tracks. The MCAT is obviously still important as success on that test will usually predict your success on the national board exams.

HCOM has love for students from everywhere!:love: (sorry, just really wanted to try out a new emoticon there). While there is no denying that we do give preference to Ohio residents, we truly do welcome applications from all states. The important thing is for out of state students to keep an open mind about Ohio, OU-HCOM and that pesky contract for admission.
I really appreciate this information--so helpful with the whole process.
Are the minimums for in-state applicants to receive a secondary app the same as for OOS?

Last edited:
Anybody know of any recent waitlist movement here?