Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you elaborate a little bit? =)

A good portion of the day was spent learning about the overall curriculum, the facilities, and the resources available to a student at OU-HCOM. I felt extremely welcome on campus. The interviews were conversational and friendly, although there were still a few tough questions.

It is evident that this school exists as a community, one in which the faculty and students work together to accomplish goals. I was especially thrilled to learn that it is NOT a competitive environment in which students try to compete for grades and knowledge. I am confident that the students graduating from OU-HCOM go on to be phenomenal doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Hoping to see everyone from Friday's interview there next year.. Good luck to those still applying, this is an amazing school

I have an interview here next Friday. I've already been accepted at LECOM-E but I'm an Ohio resident so I am holding out for OU! Anyone have any tips for the interview day? LECOM was my only other interview so far and it's a group interview, so I'm a little nervous for the one-on-one's. Thanks!

I have an interview here next Friday. I've already been accepted at LECOM-E but I'm an Ohio resident so I am holding out for OU! Anyone have any tips for the interview day? LECOM was my only other interview so far and it's a group interview, so I'm a little nervous for the one-on-one's. Thanks!

Just be yourself.

I would LOVE to attend this school. Visited many times - such a nice place. All the folks in admissions have been so helpful thus far.Anyway wondered if anyone who has interview invites (or has already been accepted) would be willing to share their stats. Still worried I am not going to get invite. My stats are 33 MCAT, ~ 3.4 GPAs with a bit of upward trend last year or two. Average amount of research, shadowing, and volunteering. Did some student teaching and current work in pharmaceutical industry. Ohio resident. Was told my secondary app was complete and under almost two weeks ago...Nothing yet getting concerned my undergrad creds might be too low.

Congrats to all who have invites and have already been accepted!! It would be honor
to be your fellow Bobcat next year. Fingers crossed...

Good luck to all!

Super excited to interview here on Friday!

I would LOVE to attend this school. Visited many times - such a nice place. All the folks in admissions have been so helpful thus far.Anyway wondered if anyone who has interview invites (or has already been accepted) would be willing to share their stats. Still worried I am not going to get invite. My stats are 33 MCAT, ~ 3.4 GPAs with a bit of upward trend last year or two. Average amount of research, shadowing, and volunteering. Did some student teaching and current work in pharmaceutical industry. Ohio resident. Was told my secondary app was complete and under almost two weeks ago...Nothing yet getting concerned my undergrad creds might be too low.

Congrats to all who have invites and have already been accepted!! It would be honor
to be your fellow Bobcat next year. Fingers crossed...

Good luck to all!
They look for well rounded students and not just looking for high stats. I had a 27 and a 3.6 which is nothing spectacular.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone-

I just submitted my primary application about 2 weeks ago... I'm still in the "processing" phase. I'm an out-of-stater, but very interested in OUCOM. I lived and worked in Ohio for about 2 years, but never switched my residency. When I first arrived in Ohio, I never thought it would be a love story. But I am definitely missing the place. Would love to be back for medical school and beyond to establish a practice.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone thought about my chances of getting an acceptance

Stats:
cGPA 3.31
sGPA 3.35
MCAT 33O (12B 9V 12P)

Took some time off to teach in the outdoor education field. Now I am working as a rural health associate for a year. I have some research experience and a little clinical.

Here's to hoping!

Hey everyone-

I just submitted my primary application about 2 weeks ago... I'm still in the "processing" phase. I'm an out-of-stater, but very interested in OUCOM. I lived and worked in Ohio for about 2 years, but never switched my residency. When I first arrived in Ohio, I never thought it would be a love story. But I am definitely missing the place. Would love to be back for medical school and beyond to establish a practice.

Anyways, I was wondering what everyone thought about my chances of getting an acceptance

Stats:
cGPA 3.31
sGPA 3.35
MCAT 33O (12B 9V 12P)

Took some time off to teach in the outdoor education field. Now I am working as a rural health associate for a year. I have some research experience and a little clinical.

Here's to hoping!

Your chances seem really high! Just be patient and I am sure your invite will come!

Congrats to all those accepted. Did any of you choose the Dublin campus?

Interview scheduled for October 11! Really excited!

How long did it take for you to receive a secondary from the time your aacomas was verified?

I interviewed at OU-HCOM on Friday, and I have to say that the school does an incredible job of making candidates feel welcome. The facilities were really nice, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. Dr. Schriner and all of the faculty and staff were very knowledgeable and friendly, and they obviously have the students' best interest in mind.

Best of luck to everyone applying to OU-HCOM this cycle!

Last edited:
congratulations to everyone who was accepted!!! i am so hoping for a chance to at least interview here. any OOS'er received ii's?

Does OU send out II through the mail like they request their secondary? or do they e-mail students. I sent in my secondary app two weeks ago and have yet to hear if they have even received it.

Does OU send out II through the mail like they request their secondary? or do they e-mail students. I sent in my secondary app two weeks ago and have yet to hear if they have even received it.

They send the ii via email. I never got a file complete email, but they are more than happy to check your file for you if you call the admissions office. They're super, super nice!

Good Luck!

They send the ii via email. I never got a file complete email, but they are more than happy to check your file for you if you call the admissions office. They're super, super nice!

Good Luck!

Thank you.

Interview Invite. Very excited.

OOS. Complete sometime mid august. Cant find the email.

Just mailed in my secondary today! I'm in state hoping for good news!

cGPA 3.63
SGPA 3.52
MCAT 28

Accepted! Interview day was awesome, the admissions staff and students are SO nice and Athens is beautiful. Really excited to start at the Dublin campus next year and I hope to see some people from Friday's interviews there! :)

Is anyone applying from OOS? Are you guys really okay with the 5 year contract? I wanted to apply here until I saw the contract

Is anyone applying from OOS? Are you guys really okay with the 5 year contract? I wanted to apply here until I saw the contract

Just remember that they do have a program that waives the 5 year contract for OOS students if you are selected for it, so you may not have to worry about it.

Could anyone give me some idea about the interview? Is it closed or open interview?

How long was everyone's secondary?

I've just finished writing 2 pages. I know the whole "take as much as you need to get the point across" but I'm not sure if it's too excessive.

Did you guys type out the forms or fill them in by hand? It says to do them on the computer but I can't edit the PDF file.

Last edited:

I've just finished writing 2 pages. I know the whole "take as much as you need to get the point across" but I'm not sure if it's too excessive.

Did you guys type out the forms or fill them in by hand? It says to do them on the computer but I can't edit the PDF file.

Each prompt is only one page.

And I used the latest version of adobe. They should have an text box function where you can just type it in.

I did one page each. One was 10 pt done and one was 12 pt font. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully about the header, font, etc.

Meep meep !! , I know it is very early, but do you know when the facebook class of 2018 page will be set up?

Meep meep !! , I know it is very early, but do you know when the facebook class of 2018 page will be set up?

I don't have an exact date in mind, but it can be set up at anytime. We usually wait until we have a few more students in the class, but we can set it up earlier if you think it would be helpful. Let me know :)

First ii of the cycle for Nov. 8th!!!!! Anyone else???

IS

cGPA 3.63
sGPA 3.52
MCAT 28

Completed Sept. 30th I believe

Accepted!! Received the phone call on my way home from the interview. Awesome way to start my weekend!!

Congrats!!!!

Would you mind sharing what the interview experience was like?

Thank you! In one word, it was Amazing! They really took there time to make sure you feel welcomed and make sure you fall in love with the school. The day was really laid back as well as the interviews!

Accepted! I hope to see people from the 10/11 interviews in the entering class next year! :biglove: