Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome!!! On my iPad so I can't see... Are you an OH resident?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I am an OH resident. With < 3.4 GPA and 30 MCAT. Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just make sure you have a very compelling reason to want to stay and practice in Ohio. They want all OOS applicants to serve a minimum of 5 years in Ohio after graduation. (Not sure if residency counts). I am not sure on the number but I know its not very high. I know the Cleveland Campus will be taking on I think 50 students. What they are looking for in these students is people who have ties to the area and will stay and serve the Northeast Ohio community.
Just to clarify, there will be 35 students in Cleveland. The current first years are 91% IS. Doing a core residency counts as satisfying the OOS contract.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently MS I here. Let me know if you guys have questions about the school and the application process! I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. Good luck guys! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, there will be 35 students in Cleveland. The current first years are 91% IS. Doing a core residency counts as satisfying the OOS contract.
It's actually 50, I asked one of the admissions people.

OOS here from CA. received a secondary but debating to submit it or not, due to the 5 year contact. what are people's perspective on that? i want to practice in rural/underserved areas but the fact of the matter is i would like the freedom to choose where i want to do that after medical school.

contract makes me put this secondary as my lowest priority

Reactions: 1 user
contract makes me put this secondary as my lowest priority

this isnt a big deal for me. five years will fly by! and if you choose certain residency then your training counts toward the time. pretty good way to make sure people aren't just saying anything to get an acceptance lol

besides unless you know you have a kush private practice somewhere waiting for you,, anywhere you go you are going to be an indentured servant

Just got my interview invitation for 9/26! I'm so excited! it will be my first interview for med schools. Hoping to study at the cleveland campus. It would be a tough decision between OU-HCOM and NEOMed if I get in to both, not getting my hopes up for Case, even though I'm finishing my Master's Degree there. Hard work and dedication pays off! In-state student, 3.1 undergrad gpa with 28 MCAT (didn't get an interview in 2011). Now have a 4.0 grad gpa and retook the MCAT in july and got a 36!! Hope the interview goes well. Any advice???

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my interview invitation for 9/26! I'm so excited! it will be my first interview for med schools. Hoping to study at the cleveland campus. It would be a tough decision between OU-HCOM and NEOMed if I get in to both, not getting my hopes up for Case, even though I'm finishing my Master's Degree there. Hard work and dedication pays off! In-state student, 3.1 undergrad gpa with 28 MCAT (didn't get an interview in 2011). Now have a 4.0 grad gpa and retook the MCAT in july and got a 36!! Hope the interview goes well. Any advice???

Im interviewing the 19th for the Cleveland campus. Hopefully we are classmates next year! I think with access to the Cleveland clinic for rotations and residency through the new campus is definitely a deciding factor when deciding over NEOMED. I know a lot of very reputable physicians who graduated from OU working in Cleveland

Submitted all my materials and confirmed they were received about the middle of August. Really hoping for some love from this school. All the campuses seem phenomenal along with being a native to Ohio, but am now an OOSer.

Whats the average MCAT/GPA? Ive tried looking online and through the DO-version of the MSAR but havent found anything

Whats the average MCAT/GPA? Ive tried looking online and through the DO-version of the MSAR but havent found anything

I think the average MCAT is a 27, but I don't remember where I saw that. I'm not sure about the GPA.

On another note, who else is looking forward to interviewing Friday?!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I think I will contact the school. I am OOS but have high hopes for this school. I heard they are only taking 32 students though.

Do you know if they are still in the process of building the campus?

Sorry I'm just now catching this question... We will actually be taking 50 students at our Cleveland site. Yes, the building is still undergoing renovations, but it should be complete by the end of May, 2015.

Last edited:
OOS from FL with zero ties to Ohio. 3.7,3.5 27. Any shot? I really like this school. It looks beautiful online and is highly respected. What do they look for in a candidate for the OU of state scholars program?

Great question about the Out of State Scholars program! A little bit of background....the legislation that created us states that 80% of our incoming class needs to be from Ohio or have signed the out-0f-state contract (we're not thrilled about the contract either, believe me!), so we actually have the legal ability to release a portion of accepted out-of-state students from the contract. The recommendation for Out-of-State Scholars program recipients comes from the student selection committee and much of the decision is based on the interview. The committee typically submits recommendations only twice a year, once in December and again in March.

I know that explanation doesn't really get at "what does the committee look for", but there are no minimum criteria or anything like that to cite. It has more to do with the balance between how much the committee wants to see you in the class and you how much the contract is a barrier to your matriculation.

I have not yet received a secondary from OUHCOM, but I have from several other schools. I need to tell my premed committee to send my reference letters, but should I wait until I have received a secondary from each school before telling them to send the letters to all my schools?

I would go ahead and send the letters now (if you haven't already). We will match the letters to the file with your AACOMAS application, so there is no harm in sending them now. In fact, it is usually the non-receipt of letters that keeps applicant's files from being complete, so if you take care of it now, that will be one less thing to worry about and your file will become complete that much faster.

Just make sure you have a very compelling reason to want to stay and practice in Ohio. They want all OOS applicants to serve a minimum of 5 years in Ohio after graduation. (Not sure if residency counts). I am not sure on the number but I know its not very high. I know the Cleveland Campus will be taking on I think 50 students. What they are looking for in these students is people who have ties to the area and will stay and serve the Northeast Ohio community.

Great information! Just wanted to add that residency years do count but only if they are completed at one of our CORE hospitals.

Thanks for all of info @meep!! meep!! I am SO excited to hear from OUHCOM- it was my first app in. I'm meeting with one of your alumna's today who is doing her fellowship in my division at the hospital!

Do you think that Ohio residents will get preference with the new Cleveland site?

Thanks for all of info @meep!! meep!! I am SO excited to hear from OUHCOM- it was my first app in. I'm meeting with one of your alumna's today who is doing her fellowship in my division at the hospital!

Do you think that Ohio residents will get preference with the new Cleveland site?

Awesome news! Who is the alumna? If she is a recent graduate I may know her. :)

Yes, Ohio residents are typically given preference at our new campuses, however, we do have a few out of state students at Dublin this year. If you have strong ties to the area then it is easier for the committee to see the fit with that campus.

I would go ahead and send the letters now (if you haven't already). We will match the letters to the file with your AACOMAS application, so there is no harm in sending them now. In fact, it is usually the non-receipt of letters that keeps applicant's files from being complete, so if you take care of it now, that will be one less thing to worry about and your file will become complete that much faster.

Thanks, meep meep. That's exactly what I did, actually.

Great question about the Out of State Scholars program! A little bit of background....the legislation that created us states that 80% of our incoming class needs to be from Ohio or have signed the out-0f-state contract (we're not thrilled about the contract either, believe me!), so we actually have the legal ability to release a portion of accepted out-of-state students from the contract. The recommendation for Out-of-State Scholars program recipients comes from the student selection committee and much of the decision is based on the interview. The committee typically submits recommendations only twice a year, once in December and again in March.

I know that explanation doesn't really get at "what does the committee look for", but there are no minimum criteria or anything like that to cite. It has more to do with the balance between how much the committee wants to see you in the class and you how much the contract is a barrier to your matriculation.

Thank you for the response! I am definitely looking forward to hearing from you guys. :)

If I originally stated my preference was the Dublin campus but after thinking it over more I would rather be at the Athens campus is it too late to change my preference if I have an interview scheduled for October 3?

@meep!! meep!! Do you have any required length for the essays? My personal statement is a page and the ones for the separate campuses are a little over half the page. I am a Dublin resident and this is by far my number one choice so I don't want to have too short of essays. Could you shed some light on the suggested length?

Accepted! I wasn't even out of Columbus before the call came. I can't say enough about how awesome OU is.

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! I wasn't even out of Columbus before the call came. I can't say enough about how awesome OU is.
Wow thats fast! Congrats. It must feel amazing. Im OOS but this is my first choice

Wow thats fast! Congrats. It must feel amazing. Im OOS but this is my first choice

Thanks! It feels awesome--the last 6.5 years of my life just paid off.

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping get some love. IS been complete since late july and nothing yet.

Yes I am. Did it seem like that helped you?

I was able to use my experiences to answer some of the interview questions, as well as tie in why I wanted to be a physician. I definitely did not feel like it hindered me, and after talking to current students, I got the impression they welcome the knowledge us nontrads bring.

I'm a non-trad IS applicant hoping to get some love! All my materials were in by August, and I called them last week and they said my application was under review. How long was it before you heard any updates about your status?

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing tomorrow should come to Jackie O's in Athens for some chilling around 8 PM.

I'm so pumped for this friday!!! For those of you accepted, when did they call you?

I'm so pumped for this friday!!! For those of you accepted, when did they call you?
I received the call at 5 45 a couple hours after the interview completed, but you are usually going to get notified the following Monday. Have fun and be yourself! You will do great.

I interviewed last Friday didn't receive a call on the day, but got an acceptance email this morning so don't freak out if you don't get a call on the day. I was accepted to the Cleveland campus, so that might have been a factor. Overall great experience, and relaxed interview :) good luck everyone!

I interviewed last friday as well and got placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how the list works? Is it rolling too, so being placed on it super early is a good thing, or is the order just randomly decided by the adcom? Also whats the earliest you can get offered an acceptance off the list?

Accepted yesterday via email to the Athens campus! So excited! Good luck to those of you that have an upcoming interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like.. what questions they ask.. ect.
I'm nervous and this is my top choice school, I want to be as prepared as possible! Thanks everyone!

I'm nervous and this is my top choice school, I want to be as prepared as possible! Thanks everyone!

Most of the questions were related to my application. Other than that, you should be prepared to answer the obvious "Why OU?" and "Why DO?" questions. They do a very good job of making you feel relaxed; I wouldn't stress it too much.

Deranged Medic pretty much covered it, but it's always nice to hear the same thing from more than one person. The interview is structured to be conversational rather than just a set list of questions, which makes it less nerve racking. The three questions that I got asked by each interviewer were: Why OU? Why DO? Why did you apply to this campus? Know your primary and secondary application well, and just be yourself and you will do fine. Good Luck!

Deranged Medic pretty much covered it, but it's always nice to hear the same thing from more than one person. The interview is structured to be conversational rather than just a set list of questions, which makes it less nerve racking. The three questions that I got asked by each interviewer were: Why OU? Why DO? Why did you apply to this campus? Know your primary and secondary application well, and just be yourself and you will do fine. Good Luck!

Just to reiterate how low stress it was: I actually began to worry they weren't interested in me because everything seemed to be going so well.

II!! Oct. 10th 3.55, 31 IS. Anybody else interviewing that day?

I wasn't even halfway home when I got the call. I got in!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how emotional I felt. I get the official email on Monday and the letters through snail mail. Good luck to all of you! The interviews are super chill and Dean Schriner is an awesome guy. Just be honest and don't give out rehearsed answers and you will be golden.

Oh also I will be attending the Cleveland school and my stats are <3.4 GPA and a 30 MCAT (10s in each section)

Let me know if you have any questions about interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
I wasn't even halfway home when I got the call. I got in!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how emotional I felt. I get the official email on Monday and the letters through snail mail. Good luck to all of you! The interviews are super chill and Dean Schriner is an awesome guy. Just be honest and don't give out rehearsed answers and you will be golden.

Oh also I will be attending the Cleveland school and my stats are <3.4 GPA and a 30 MCAT (10s in each section)

Let me know if you have any questions about interviews.
Congratulations!! :biglove:So is this it for you?