Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the required Athens secondary, is it okay if we break the essays into different sections? Or is it meant to be one continuous essay?

Members don't see this ad.

For the required Athens secondary, is it okay if we break the essays into different sections? Or is it meant to be one continuous essay?
We need the essays to be split up into the categories of "required personal statement" and then Dublin essay and Cleveland essay if you are ranking those campuses. these should all be separate files too so the committee can read them individually.

Hope that helps. :)

Reactions: 1 user
We need the essays to be split up into the categories of "required personal statement" and then Dublin essay and Cleveland essay if you are ranking those campuses. these should all be separate files too so the committee can read them individually.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the question and apologies for being absent from the forum for so long. I'm just now catching up, so I hope I'm not too late to help.

The great news is that Athens-based students will still have the same opportunities to be placed at CORE hospitals in central and northeast Ohio. Our partners in the CORE worked with us as we planned our growth so that we can have enough spots for our new campus students as well as Athens students.

Thanks for responding! That is really good to know! :)

Thank you! I haven't heard anything back yet. I want to send a follow up email but don't want to be annoying haha
Also, can you tell me more about CPC cause both CPC and PCC sound like PBL.

Hello,

So CPC is the curriculum that I am in which is lecture based. We are organ based curriculum so for example I am in CV block so I learn about the Pathology, anatomy, biochem, pharm, all about the heart instead of having a separate class for each in different parts of the year.

So are all lectures done in Athens and streamed to the Dublin and Cleveland campuses?

Edit: Thanks for the help![/QUOTE

It depends on who is presenting the lecture. Some of the lectures we watch from Dublin. Hope this helps!

Does anyone know where we can view the required vaccination and titers?

Last edited:
II! IS, 3.7 cGPA, 3..55 sGPA, 27, 32 retake, complete 12/12

Scheduled for 1/23

Reactions: 1 users
II today. IS, 3.5 GPA, 35 MCAT. This is my top choice DO school so I'm excited. Interviewing on 1/30

II as well and interviewing on 1/30! After looking at this college it looks fantastic!

Question: is there an official match list webpage for OU-HCOM besides the listing on SDN I found here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Application complete and under review. Crossing fingers I get an interview. This is my only school of choice.

Does anyone know if you need to finish the program you are currently in to be accepted into OU? Like I am in a post-bacc program but I am debating about stopping this semester to save some money b/c I have been accepted into another school but OU is my first choice and I am still waiting for an ii.

Does anyone know if you need to finish the program you are currently in to be accepted into OU? Like I am in a post-bacc program but I am debating about stopping this semester to save some money b/c I have been accepted into another school but OU is my first choice and I am still waiting for an ii.
Hi again :) give them a call. They are SUPER friendly at OU!!

Added to Alternate list. Applied Athens 1 Cleveland 2. Super laid back day and 3- half hour interviews.

I was complete late August and I still haven't heard anything. I've already sent a few updates/letters of interest. Should I call?

cum 3.77/sci 3.71/mcat 21, retake 23. App complete on 12/15 (once mcat scores were released), from Ohio.
Invitation to interview on 2/6 at OU-HCOM. Athens first choice, hoping for the best!

Last edited:
cum 3.77/sci 3.71/mcat 21, retake 23. App complete on 12/15 (once mcat scores were released), from Ohio.
Invitation to interview on 2/6 at OU-HCOM. Athens first choice, hoping for the best!
Wow congrats!! Glad to hear they're still sending invites out!

Congrats! My app was complete on the 15th as well but AACOMAS took forever to send a few updates so I'm hoping that's the holdup...

Wow congrats!! Glad to hear they're still sending invites out!
Thanks! Yeah my file was officially complete once the holidays rolled in, so I knew it'd be a few weeks before they would even look at me. It's my fault for retaking the mcat so late in the cycle.

Are there still spots left on the Athens campus or are II only for the alternate list?

Are there still spots left on the Athens campus or are II only for the alternate list?

Yes there is. I just interviewed on Friday. They told us that they could accept everyone in the room if they wanted to.

Yes there is. I just interviewed on Friday. They told us that they could accept everyone in the room if they wanted to.

This is good to hear, I'm interviewing there next week. How was your experience there?

This is good to hear, I'm interviewing there next week. How was your experience there?

I was very, very impressed. I was expecting good things before I interviewed and my expectations were definitely exceeded.

All of the faculty, staff, and students were very friendly and seemed committed to the program (Dr. Schriner is awesome!). Before I went on any interviews, I thought that this would be a given regardless of where I went. However, as ridiculous as it might sound, some of the schools I have interviewed at have had awful presentations/presenters and the students/staff did not always seem truly excited about the program. This was definitely not the case at OU.

I'm a big fan of the early clinical exposure offered at the program. Students have patient exposure within two months of their first year. They also had nice simulation ERs and ORs which were nice. I thought the anatomy lab was pretty nice too (they bragged about the great student to cadaver ratio).

I liked the feeling of being on an undergraduate campus as well. I visited Athens many times throughout undergrad and always had a blast. I'm sure the students are able to enjoy themselves as well whenever they have free weekends.

Their emphasis on primary care and opportunities in serving the underserved is also a plus for me, but that varies person to person.

I was lucky to be accepted here this morning. I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools, but I would be more than happy to go to school here. It just "felt right" being there.

Oh yeah! I was thoroughly impressed by the lunch they served as well! Not that that will impact my decision or anything...... :)

Good luck at your interview!

Reactions: 2 users
I was very, very impressed. I was expecting good things before I interviewed and my expectations were definitely exceeded.

All of the faculty, staff, and students were very friendly and seemed committed to the program (Dr. Schriner is awesome!). Before I went on any interviews, I thought that this would be a given regardless of where I went. However, as ridiculous as it might sound, some of the schools I have interviewed at have had awful presentations/presenters and the students/staff did not always seem truly excited about the program. This was definitely not the case at OU.

I'm a big fan of the early clinical exposure offered at the program. Students have patient exposure within two months of their first year. They also had nice simulation ERs and ORs which were nice. I thought the anatomy lab was pretty nice too (they bragged about the great student to cadaver ratio).

I liked the feeling of being on an undergraduate campus as well. I visited Athens many times throughout undergrad and always had a blast. I'm sure the students are able to enjoy themselves as well whenever they have free weekends.

Their emphasis on primary care and opportunities in serving the underserved is also a plus for me, but that varies person to person.

I was lucky to be accepted here this morning. I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools, but I would be more than happy to go to school here. It just "felt right" being there.

Oh yeah! I was thoroughly impressed by the lunch they served as well! Not that that will impact my decision or anything...... :)

Good luck at your interview!

Wow, you basically just mapped out exactly why I chose to apply here. I've visited OUHCOM during my undergrad and sensed a lot of what you just described. And yeah, my friends who were accepted there last year warned me about their tendency to brag about their food. Glad to know it lived up to it's hype, can't wait to see for myself. Also, congrats on the acceptance! And thanks for the insight and words of encouragement.

What is your question?
It's the end of January, deadline 2/1/15 for all apps. Did you just complete a secondary? You applied very very late, so I wasn't sure if you mistakenly put secondary instead of interview.

What are your expectations for this cycle?

It's the end of January, deadline 2/1/15 for all apps. Did you just complete a secondary? You applied very very late, so I wasn't sure if you mistakenly put secondary instead of interview.

What are your expectations for this cycle?

There are still plenty of seats available, and I'm well aware of the application due dates. Thank you.

There are still plenty of seats available, and I'm well aware of the application due dates. Thank you.
Yes there indeed are. I'm not attacking you, so please chill out. It's rare to see someone apply this late.

Hey YourMD congrats on your secondary!

YourMD and stickshifthonda:
How do you guys know there are plenty of seats left? No accusations here, just a personal interest as I am interviewing soon.

Hey YourMD congrats on your secondary!

YourMD and stickshifthonda:
How do you guys know there are plenty of seats left? No accusations here, just a personal interest as I am interviewing soon.

My assertion was simply based on data extrapolated from previous years. last year, there were 6 acceptances and 5 ii offered between January and March. Keep in mind these were SDNers and we represent only a small fraction of total applicants. In all likelihood those numbers were quadrupled if you take into account the whole class. Traditionally there is significant movement on HCOM's waitlist. 20-30 people get in every year after Febuary. Goodluck with your ii DrSprinkles!

hi

Last edited:
Edited

Last edited:
Waitlisted :-/ Too bad that this was one of my top choices..

Have any OOS'ers heard back for an interview?

Current students, any inside information about when HCOM begins to look at OOS applications?
THanks.

I am an OOS and I still have yet to hear back about an interview :(

Just as an update that I heard last week, Dublin has accepted 36/50 so there is still several spots open. As always please let me know if you have any questions! FYI I am a 1st yr at Dublin so I can provide information on my experience as it pertains to Dublin as well as what it might be like in Cleveland.

Just as an update that I heard last week, Dublin has accepted 36/50 so there is still several spots open. As always please let me know if you have any questions! FYI I am a 1st yr at Dublin so I can provide information on my experience as it pertains to Dublin as well as what it might be like in Cleveland.

Last edited:
Since they still have spaces open, do you know the earliest time they will be taking those waitlisted to Dublin who were accepted to Athens?

Just out of curiosity, did you put Dublin as your first choice, and then you were wait listed there but accepted at Athens? That's interesting. I wonder what the rationale is, especially if there are open spots at Dublin still. I know at a particular school with multiple campuses further north, once you're accepted to the school, you can choose whichever campus you'd like, as long as there are seats available.

Just out of curiosity, did you put Dublin as your first choice, and then you were wait listed there but accepted at Athens? That's interesting. I wonder what the rationale is, especially if there are open spots at Dublin still. I know at a particular school with multiple campuses further north, once you're accepted to the school, you can choose whichever campus you'd like, as long as there are seats available.

Yeah, Dublin was my first choice and I was given Athens. Yeah, I'm not sure why they do it this way. Were you accepted to the Dublin Campus?