Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, I'll be interviewing there this Friday. My top choice is the Cleveland campus. I may ask about the campus preferences when I'm there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also complete about early-december! IS. Sent an update email with my CV and called two weeks ago, still have yet to hear back. Getting nervous that it might be too late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'll be interviewing there this Friday. My top choice is the Cleveland campus. I may ask about the campus preferences when I'm there.

I also interview on Friday. I've heard the interview day is very informative, my guess is that they will review campus preference and how the videoconferencing between the 3 will work.

Reactions: 1 user
I can PM? I realize OUHCOM views this thread and I would absolutely love to write Dr. Schriner his check for my matriculation~ But I'll try to limit my public identifiers here.

My entire application was complete on January 5th (after submitting final grade report to them from my previous semester), how long do you think it will be before I hear back? Also I heard they might be interviewing all the way through April, anyone know any truth to this?

My entire application was complete on January 5th (after submitting final grade report to them from my previous semester), how long do you think it will be before I hear back? Also I heard they might be interviewing all the way through April, anyone know any truth to this?

When I was there in September, they said that their interview days run basically every Friday through April!

Phew, almost forgot the deadline for the first deposit is two weeks after receiving the accepted mail. It's one month almost everywhere else! Hope no one makes this mistake and realizes too late.

Just out of curiosity, did you put Dublin as your first choice, and then you were wait listed there but accepted at Athens? That's interesting. I wonder what the rationale is, especially if there are open spots at Dublin still. I know at a particular school with multiple campuses further north, once you're accepted to the school, you can choose whichever campus you'd like, as long as there are seats available.

When I interviewed, I remember them saying that they wanted people likely to practice in central Ohio for the Dublin campus (and NE Ohio for Cleveland). If you didn't have strong ties to the area, you might get waitlisted at your first-choice campus and accepted to Athens. So I'd assume that if there are still open seats available once interviews are complete, they'll start filling them with those people who were both waitlisted/accepted.

Phew, almost forgot the deadline for the first deposit is two weeks after receiving the accepted mail. It's one month almost everywhere else! Hope no one makes this mistake and realizes too late.

Good save. Although their time schedule is dependent on when you were accepted, it was longer earlier in the cycle. And in case anyone gets accepted from here on out (and can't properly read their acceptance email due to sheer excitement), here are your deadlines.

1st $100 deposit:

Accepted between Jan 15-June 14: 2 weeks (14 days)
Accepted on or after June 15: Immediately

2nd $500 deposit:

Due May 15 if accepted before. Accepted on or after that date, may be asked for an immediate deposit.

http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/Admissions/Deadlines2012.htm

What is the waitlist movement looking like this year? How filled is the class of all campuses?

What is the waitlist movement looking like this year? How filled is the class of all campuses?

Supposedly they still have some seats open at all of the campuses. As for the wait list, if it's anything like last year, I wouldn't hold my breath. Last year there was very minimal movement. I suppose it's due to OUHCOM starting earlier than other schools and people having to commit sooner...

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the wait list, if it's anything like last year, I wouldn't hold my breath. Last year there was very minimal movement.

Just for what it's worth last years movement was an extreme anomaly. It's something that cannot possibly be forecasted, so I'm not trying to suggest anything more than the simple fact that last year was an exception to the common wait-list movement at OUHCOM. The important thing is, for those on the waitlist, that you were not rejected and to adequately assess the areas that they feel are lacking.

EDIT: I also realize you weren't trying to suggest anything either, just my .02 on the topic.

Hello All,

I'm an OOS applicant who has been complete since June/July. Any advice how I can better position myself for an interview? Maybe OOS interviews are offered later in the cycle? I am really interested in this school, and it's my #1 choice. Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

I'm an OOS applicant who has been complete since June/July. Any advice how I can better position myself for an interview? Maybe OOS interviews are offered later in the cycle? I am really interested in this school, and it's my #1 choice. Thanks in advance.

I'm not really sure on the OOS percentages thus far in the cycle but the admissions office is really nice and as far as I know they appreciate applicants showing their interest in the program. So my advice is to call the office and ask if you could formally express your interest in the program because you've been complete since July. They will likely tell you whether a letter would help your application or not.

EDIT: I recall a few people at my interview being OOS. So I would think at least a small number of OOS are asked to interview each time.

Last edited:
Has anyone been contacted about the post bac program they have in which you need an invitation?

Does anyone know how full the class is thus far?

I was really hoping to hear about an interview by now! HCOM is my top choice. Sent an update letter today. IS

II for March 27th. So excited! Does anyone know how many spots are left? 1st choice is Cleveland campus since I currently live here but would be happy in any of the 3 campuses.

II for March 27th. So excited! Does anyone know how many spots are left? 1st choice is Cleveland campus since I currently live here but would be happy in any of the 3 campuses.
Are you IS? I'm OOS and have been dying for an interview here! Good luck!

Are you IS? I'm OOS and have been dying for an interview here! Good luck!
I'm in state. I have been complete since September or October can't remember. Thank you and I hope you get a II

hi all,

im applying next cycle. 3.7sgpa with (11,5,10) 26 MCAT, OOS. I have a lot of experience that include going abroad to set up clinics to being published for research.

thoughts anyone??

hi all,

im applying next cycle. 3.7sgpa with (11,5,10) 26 MCAT, OOS. I have a lot of experience that include going abroad to set up clinics to being published for research.

thoughts anyone??
Your sgpa and composite MCAT are good, but the 5 verbal is somewhat low for them. Also, they have a very strong preference for in state applicants. I think you have a chance, but it isn't guaranteed.

hi all,

thoughts anyone??
Your sgpa and composite MCAT are good, but the 5 verbal is somewhat low for them. Also, they have a very strong preference for in state applicants. I think you have a chance, but it isn't guaranteed.

Thank You for your reply. Yes, ive heard they give preference to in state applicants :( why am i from california?????

Thank You for your reply. Yes, ive heard they give preference to in state applicants :( why am i from california?????
Haha being from Ohio is similar, we have many schools that are all somewhat hard to get into. I think you can get in somewhere if you apply early and broadly. I would probably just apply DO with that 5 though unless you're willing to retake.

Haha being from Ohio is similar, we have many schools that are all somewhat hard to get into. I think you can get in somewhere if you apply early and broadly. I would probably just apply DO with that 5 though unless you're willing to retake.

Thanks pardoc. I appreciate it. Good luck to you and congrats on the acceptance.

Hey everyone,

I've been directed to the school board to get some insight on my chances here. 3.87 cgpa/~3.89 sgpa after this semester. 25 Mcat (9ps/6vr/10bs). Ohio resident. I'll be submitting my primary early in July. Know my Mcat is below avenge.

Anyone with success/rejection this cycle that might be able to comment on my chances here.

Hey everyone,

I've been directed to the school board to get some insight on my chances here. 3.87 cgpa/~3.89 sgpa after this semester. 25 Mcat (9ps/6vr/10bs). Ohio resident. I'll be submitting my primary early in July. Know my Mcat is below avenge.

Anyone with success/rejection this cycle that might be able to comment on my chances here.

The MCAT is a bit low as you stated, but considering the very good GPA and Ohio resident status, I think you have a very fair shot. Be sure to get a DO letter of recommendation and apply early. If I had to guess, you would probably at least get an interview here with those stats if you have good ECs.

Hey everyone,

IMO OU truly considers the entire application more-so than most other schools. Your stats are fine, your MCAT is only ~2 SD points below HCOM's average which would mean you're still part of a hefty majority. Also, it's countered nicely be the high GPA.
Just really focus on the essays, and highlight your goodies!

I have been notified that this schools takes the best combination between two MCAT scores.

They are likely still giving out interviews for another week or two. I would call the admissions office on Monday to find out for sure. They are very transparent and will let you know for sure whether interviews are still being granted.

Do they only consider the best combination of scores taken within a certain period of time? I saw on their website that they only accept as far back as January 2012.
I have been notified that this schools takes the best combination between two MCAT scores.

Do they only consider the best combination of scores taken within a certain period of time? I saw on their website that they only accept as far back as January 2012.
I think the general rule for the MCAT is valid within 3 years. If they take a combination, I would imagine it would be within that time frame as well.

Reactions: 2 users
JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE. Life is good!

Reactions: 1 users
@Liegh5
Were you on the wait list? If so, since when?
And of course, CONGRATS!

Last edited:
Interviewed 3/27. Placed on alternate list. I contacted admissions, but I am waiting for a response regarding any weaknesses. Good luck to all! :happy:

hey does anybody know if they are still giving out interviews?