Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talked to admissions yesterday and they said the first interview invites would be going out starting at the end of the week. First interview is September 11th. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted and marked complete today!

I'm having trouble getting a second letter of recommendation from a natural science professor. I'm an engineering student at OSU and all my (4) natural science classes were in my freshman and sophomore year, and each class had 500+ students. Profs have retired, one wrote the 1st letter, but it doesn't make sense to go to the remaining prof and say "I was one of 600 students in your class 3 years ago. I got an 'A' can you write a letter of rec for me ?" OSU doesn't have a premed committee so that option is out. Engineering courses don't count. Do I have any other options ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble getting a second letter of recommendation from a natural science professor. I'm an engineering student at OSU and all my (4) natural science classes were in my freshman and sophomore year, and each class had 500+ students. Profs have retired, one wrote the 1st letter, but it doesn't make sense to go to the remaining prof and say "I was one of 600 students in your class 3 years ago. I got an 'A' can you write a letter of rec for me ?" OSU doesn't have a premed committee so that option is out. Engineering courses don't count. Do I have any other options ?

If I recall correctly when I applied- OU is pretty strict with having a natural science letter of rec. However, it has been two years since I applied so you may want to contact the admissions office to ask them. They are very transparent about their policies.

Looks like I gave everyone false info...lol hopefully first interview invites will be this week!

I got this secondary a while ago and am debating whether its worth submitting. I'm an Illinois resident and not sure I could provide a more convincing answer to the "why Ohio" question than "why not?" Do you think it's worth applying if I don't have any significant connection to Ohio beyond not minding living there? Is there a bias for in-state students?

The short answer is you shouldn't repeat information. :)

The longer response is this: All OU-HCOM interviews are open file, meaning that interviewers have your entire application in front of them when you interview and they've had at least a week to review it before they meet you. When writing essays for Dublin or Cleveland, you won't have to worry about wasting a paragraph or two writing about why DO or OU-HCOM. You will give us the answers to those questions in the main required essay. We only ask for additional essays for the non-Athens campuses so we can get a feel for your ties to those particular areas and how you see yourself contibuting to the central or northeast Ohio regions as a student and later as a practicing physician.

Hope that helps. :)

I have a question regarding what constitutes a tie to an area. I haven't spent more than a day in Ohio in my life but the Cleveland campus suits my needs anyway. I am married and my husband is serving in the Navy. His enlistment ends right when I would be set to hopefully start medical school at which time he would also be ready to start college. The proximity to Case Western makes the area work for both of us. Is that something I could talk about in my essay?

I have a question regarding what constitutes a tie to an area. I haven't spent more than a day in Ohio in my life but the Cleveland campus suits my needs anyway. I am married and my husband is serving in the Navy. His enlistment ends right when I would be set to hopefully start medical school at which time he would also be ready to start college. The proximity to Case Western makes the area work for both of us. Is that something I could talk about in my essay?

I think you should if that is the reason why you are applying there. It's proof that you will live there long term which is great for the contract they ask out of state applicants to sign.
I know Ohio really stresses only accepting people in state and with STRONG ties to Ohio. (they made it clear to me when I talked to them on the phone about a course) so having your husband in the Navy I'm sure it is very important to find locations that work for you both.
You could also call admissions and see if they have any insight?

Does anyone know if they will accept online courses taken through the University of Phoenix?

Does anyone know if they will accept online courses taken through the University of Phoenix?
I know they accept some other online schools so you should'nt have a problem but I would definitely call the admissions office and double check.

I know they accept some other online schools so you should'nt have a problem but I would definitely call the admissions office and double check.
Thanks! Since U of P online is regionally accredited by the HLC I figured they'd accept it but I am going to call just to double check. Unfortunately I have 6 credit hours to finish up that I didn't have a chance to do in undergrad.

They will accept online course credits so long as the institution/ credits are regionally accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received today!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on the interviews everyone! Mind sharing your stats, when you were complete, and if you're in-state?

Those of you getting IIs, would you mind sharing stats?

Also were you notified via email or do you just have to keep checking the portal?

just submitted AACOMAS 2 weeks ago, how long did everyones take to verify? also if our number one choice is athens do we just complete the first secondary essay? thanks!

I have a friend who goes here and she loves it!

Any OOS IIs yet?? This is my first choice, but being OOS makes me nervous...

Same here. I spoke with admissions and they said the number of oos they accept depends on the applicant pool and can be up to 25% of the class if that's any comfort

If we just want to go to the dublin campus do we complete the first and second prompt? I am awaiting AACOMAS verification and wanted to prewrite! any help would be appreciated!!

Whichever I get into haha. But I only applied for the Athens or Dublin campus and honestly, either is fine for me. And thanks!
nice! so if we want both campuses do we complete the 1st and 2nd essays? I am trying to prewrite this secondary so any help is appreciated !

nice! so if we want both campuses do we complete the 1st and 2nd essays? I am trying to prewrite this secondary so any help is appreciated !
Yes, I chose Cleveland as my primary so I had to write an essay for why that is and then I also chose Athens so I had to write a separate essay for that as well. If I were to choose Dublin as my third choice I would of had to write a third essay.

Yes, I chose Cleveland as my primary so I had to write an essay for why that is and then I also chose Athens so I had to write a separate essay for that as well. If I were to choose Dublin as my third choice I would of had to write a third essay.
thanks!!

What are my chances with a 27 MCAT and 3.8 GPA, Kentucky resident, with shadowing MD and DO?

Their great stats but you should also include your science GPA (sGPA) and the only problem I can see is the fact that your OOS, they dont accept many OOS. But otherwise I think you'll be pretty competitive at most osteopathic schools.

Their great stats but you should also include your science GPA (sGPA) and the only problem I can see is the fact that your OOS, they dont accept many OOS. But otherwise I think you'll be pretty competitive at most osteopathic schools.
sGPA is about 3.6, unfortunately I had an F in one of my classes due to personal reasons and that's my biggest worry right now. It's an elective biology class so it's kind of hard to find another schools that offers it. Thanks for the reply.

In-state, sGPA 3.83, MCAT 30...OU-HCOM is my top choice. Complete and under review; hoping to get an interview soon!

Does anyone know what day interview invites are usually sent out on?

mddo solid stats im sure youll be fine and yeah spain99 as long as the F isnt in a big time course like intro to Bio you should still be alright. I figured they send the invites out at random but maybe it is on a specific day im not sure. All I know is im getting tired of checking my email every five minutes hoping to see one from OU lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what day interview invites are usually sent out on?

Last year, I think I got mine early in the week (like Tuesday or Wednesday). They also only scheduled interviews like two/three weeks out (so if you got an invite in September, you were interviewing in you were interviewing in October, not some date in December). And the best thing about the OU admissions process: no waiting for a decision! Interview Friday...Decision Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist by Monday. The admission staff is awesome.

Good luck to you all! OU is great!

Reactions: 2 users
Got my II a couple days ago! This is by far my top choice, so I am beyond excited! :D

Just received a II for October 2

I'm interviewing in Athens. 27 mcat, 3.8 gpa, 5 publications, and full time job in a research lab at a children's hospital. 400+ volunteer hours and global health experience. In state

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! I am a little late to the game! so if we are IS we do not have to submit the out of state contract?

Only out of state students are required to sign the contract- there is nothing like that for those instate.

Are they interviewing for all three campuses on the same days or are they trying to fill up Athens first then Cleveland and Dublin. Just wondering if those with interviews chose Athens as their top choice or one of the other two?

Athens was my first choice and that's where I'm interviewing