Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! To answer your question, everyone interviews in Athens regardless of campus preference. There is no order as to which campus gets filled first--they are all filled along the same timeline. You do however interview primarily for the campus you ranked first (esp those of you applying to Cleveland and Dublin). I'd be happy to answer any other questions through PM or on the thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! To answer your question, everyone interviews in Athens regardless of campus preference. There is no order as to which campus gets filled first--they are all filled along the same timeline. You however interview primarily for the campus you ranked first (esp those of you applying to Cleveland and Dublin). I'd be happy to answer any other question through PM or on the thread!
Okay thanks for the reply, do you know how often their interviews are. I know they have one this Friday and then October 2nd, are they usually this spaced out?

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually interview every Friday unless something else is going on (holidays, special events, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary!! How quickly was your guys' turn around?

Worth applying here? OOS (CA) 26 MCAT/ 3.47 cGPA, 3.49 sGPA. Solid ECs/Letters.

26 MCAT 3.7 sgpa OOS California what do you guys think? Got the secondary invite 2 weeks ago and not sure if I should complete it

26 MCAT 3.7 sgpa OOS California what do you guys think? Got the secondary invite 2 weeks ago and not sure if I should complete it

The person before you asked a similar question and I am in the same boat. Slightly lower gpa but 29 MCAT, OOS. I called them and they said that I would be competitive regardless of my legal residence and that the class could be up to 25% OOS depending on the applicant pool. I found that encouraging and submitted the secondary, but my cynical side says that of course they'll say anything to get that application fee. So my answer is I have no idea. They seemed really excited about my MCAT, so maybe they accept OOS but only with a high score? But your GPA is really good and higher than their average so maybe that'll divert from the fact that you're not from Ohio? I guess I would say if you are super interested in the school you should give it a shot because you'll be able to write a good essay about why you want to go there. But if it's a school you're thinking of adding just for fun I wouldn't.

The person before you asked a similar question and I am in the same boat. Slightly lower gpa but 29 MCAT, OOS. I called them and they said that I would be competitive regardless of my legal residence and that the class could be up to 25% OOS depending on the applicant pool. I found that encouraging and submitted the secondary, but my cynical side says that of course they'll say anything to get that application fee. So my answer is I have no idea. They seemed really excited about my MCAT, so maybe they accept OOS but only with a high score? But your GPA is really good and higher than their average so maybe that'll divert from the fact that you're not from Ohio? I guess I would say if you are super interested in the school you should give it a shot because you'll be able to write a good essay about why you want to go there. But if it's a school you're thinking of adding just for fun I wouldn't.
Thank you !!

Members don't see this ad :)
After submitting secondary how long until those of you received II?

Interviewed today, Ohio university is a very nice campus, I was very impressed. It was also pleasant talking to other applicants!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything via phone call tonight? Reading past threads it seems like phone calls were made same day.

Those of you who have interviewed...can you comment on the interviews? Anything in particular to be prepared for? From what I've heard, it's pretty laid back.

Soooo, if my app was complete in early September, but they didn't get my MCAT scores until September 23, how late am I? I'm hoping not too late to get an interview.

I was just complete 2 weeks ago so I don't think you're too late. I know current students at OU dublin who didnt complete their apps until jan

Those of you who have interviewed...can you comment on the interviews? Anything in particular to be prepared for? From what I've heard, it's pretty laid back.

I'm a current student but I don't think interviews have changed much since I applied. As you said, interviews are indeed very laid back. You'll have 3 interviews with OUHCOM faculty ranging from professors, researchers to administrators. The interview questions aren't trying to stump you- they ask questions to get to know you better as a person. Obviously be ready to answer the standard questions as in why DO and why OUHCOM- but the interview is also open file so be ready to respond to questions about your application. You have nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Soooo, if my app was complete in early September, but they didn't get my MCAT scores until September 23, how late am I? I'm hoping not too late to get an interview.

Not late at all. OU interviews up until April... Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
II for 10/16! Complete 9/21. In-state, GPA 3.9, MCAT 28.

Hi everybody, I was wondering if an OOS person who had family in Ohio would be considered as having ties to the state? I don't have a ghost of a chance for admissions but just wondering.

I was accepted as well to Athens! Back on 9/28 though :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry if this was asked previously but how long was the turnaround for you guys from turning in your secondary to hearing back if you got an interview or not? Thanks

I'm sorry if this was asked previously but how long was the turnaround for you guys from turning in your secondary to hearing back if you got an interview or not? Thanks
I've Been complete for two weeks and nothing yet

Is there a FB page for the class entering next fall?

Anyone else ripping their hair out waiting for a II from OU-HCOM?

Reactions: 2 users
How long does it take for those who were accepted/interviewed from Completed to II ?

Hey everyone! Did anyone receive an II and have stats similar to mine? Just got my mcat back and am submitting all secondaries in ASAP. I have a 3.55cgpa with a steep upward trend, 503 mcat, very unique work experiences (worked through undergrad, started a business) and relatively standard volunteer experiences (tutoring underprivileged, 450+ hours of physician shadowing, etc). I'd really appreciate feedback as I would absolutely love to be here. I'm also from Ohio.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Did anyone receive an II and have stats similar to mine? Just got my mcat back and am submitting all secondaries in ASAP. I have a 3.55cgpa with a steep upward trend, 503 mcat, very unique work experiences (worked through undergrad, started a business) and relatively standard volunteer experiences (tutoring underprivileged, 450+ hours of physician shadowing, etc). I'd really appreciate feedback as I would absolutely love to be here. I'm also from Ohio.
My stats and experiences are somewhat similar to yours, and I'm in-state and waiting for an interview too :(. However, a couple people I know with stats similar to ours got interviews in January and were accepted soon after, so keep the faith :)

Reactions: 1 users
My stats and experiences are somewhat similar to yours, and I'm in-state and waiting for an interview too :(. However, a couple people I know with stats similar to ours got interviews in January and were accepted soon after, so keep the faith :)

I appreciate the response. It's also very nice to hear that. Here's to hoping we both get an II. Best of luck to you!

Lol im in the same boat as well, similar stats and I received quick responses from other schools just not here?!?! (im in-state also)

What are your stats if you guys don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
What are your stats if you guys don't mind me asking?
I was accepted to the Athens campus last week, but 27 mcat, 3.8 GPA, research publications, working as a research assistant, 400+ volunteer hours, and extensive physician shadowing and clinical care experiences.

Not quite in the applying stage yet but I cannot WAIT to apply here. My father teaches graduate level courses at OU and my mother lives close to Dublin. I am a central Ohio native but currently live in Pittsburgh. I love central Ohio and Athens (went to undergrad very close to OU) and I'm planning on making this one of my top choices!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Dublin/Athens area, ask me- I had a great opportunity to grow up near both campuses.
I'm hoping even though I would be considered OOS at that point that having my entire family live close to those campuses would be considered "close ties"

Not quite in the applying stage yet but I cannot WAIT to apply here. My father teaches graduate level courses at OU and my mother lives close to Dublin. I am a central Ohio native but currently live in Pittsburgh. I love central Ohio and Athens (went to undergrad very close to OU) and I'm planning on making this one of my top choices!

If anyone has any questions regarding the Dublin/Athens area, ask me- I had a great opportunity to grow up near both campuses.
I'm hoping even though I would be considered OOS at that point that having my entire family live close to those campuses would be considered "close ties"
Yeah that should definitely be enough to justify a connection to the area

Interviewing on 10/23, I know it was touched on before, but are the interviews one-on-one or with a panel?
Thank you!

Can any current students comment on the quality of the CPC curriculum? I looked at the breakdown by year and couldn't find a lot of the basic sciences listed, such as Pharmacology, Histology, etc. Are these part of a different class? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

The CPC curriculum here at OUHCOM integrates all of the basic science material in with the various systems- so histology, pharmacology, microbiology, biochemistry, etc are all intertwined into every block.

Quick question guys. I feel as if my secondary response was long, although I felt everything I said was pertinent to the questions being asked and my story. Did anyone send in a secondary that was well over a page in 10 pt font?

Has anyone received a II recently? Been complete for a month and still nothing. In-state applicant with siblings having graduated from OU-HCOM. Graduated with 3.25c/3.35s (took an extra sem to retake upper-level bio courses and ochem2 receiving 3.83)/502 mcat/a lot of healthcare experience. Any of you feel like you could always do a little more? I really do feel ridiculously anxious right now wondering if I should study for the January mcat because I don't want to just sit back and waste time. If any of you SDNers could chime in that would be awesome!

Has anyone received a II recently? Been complete for a month and still nothing. In-state applicant with siblings having graduated from OU-HCOM. Graduated with 3.25c/3.35s (took an extra sem to retake upper-level bio courses and ochem2 receiving 3.83)/502 mcat/a lot of healthcare experience. Any of you feel like you could always do a little more? I really do feel ridiculously anxious right now wondering if I should study for the January mcat because I don't want to just sit back and waste time. If any of you SDNers could chime in that would be awesome!

From what I can gather they just haven't gotten around to II for people with stats that low. Not that you aren't a good candidate, sounds like you are, but they are mostly cherry picking top stats people first. It's just that kind of school. Just be patient I guess. I've been complete since July and have not heard anything either.