Ohio University (OU-HCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited to complete the secondary application in early November, submitted on the 12th of December and was offered an interview by New Year's!! IS, 3.83 overall undergrad GPA, 3.75 sGPA, 500 new MCAT, finishing my Master's in Anatomy in February. Interview on Januray 22nd looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey guys, just a heads up I'm a current student at the Dublin campus of OUHCOM. I realize this is little late in your application process, but if you have any questions about applying, interviewing, classes, or life on the Dublin campus please ask her or PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
II for 1/29 finally, better late than never I suppose!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone care to share how the interviews are? Anything unusual or pretty standard?

Anyone care to share how the interviews are? Anything unusual or pretty standard?
Im curious as well... Judging by the itinerary it looks like a pretty good/relaxed day. I like that the interviews are at the end of the day when were hopefully more relaxed, although it looks like it will be a longggg day 8am-3:30pm lol

Im curious as well... Judging by the itinerary it looks like a pretty good/relaxed day. I like that the interviews are at the end of the day when were hopefully more relaxed, although it looks like it will be a longggg day 8am-3:30pm lol

Mine were very relaxed, but one of the professors grilled me on my research. I'm glad that I brought some literature with me and read it in the parking lot before going in.

Mine were very relaxed, but one of the professors grilled me on my research. I'm glad that I brought some literature with me and read it in the parking lot before going in.
O boy lol I better read up on my research :arghh:

I know this is a late reply, but I'm a second year student at OUHCOM. Interviews are extremely relaxed. You will interview with three different faculty members, each for 30 minutes. You will also take your ID picture, have lunch with current students, and get an introduction to the school. I was an OOS student and felt very welcomed. Don't stress about your interview; it wasn't like other schools where I was stressed out during the entire interview. It's also really nice that you get to hear back so quickly. Also, I interviewed fairly late as well (mid January). I got in the car to drive home at 4:00 and was accepted by 6:30pm via phone call. If you have any questions about the Athens campus, feel free to ask! I love this school and am very pleased with my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a late reply, but I'm a second year student at OUHCOM. Interviews are extremely relaxed. You will interview with three different faculty members, each for 30 minutes. You will also take your ID picture, have lunch with current students, and get an introduction to the school. I was an OOS student and felt very welcomed. Don't stress about your interview; it wasn't like other schools where I was stressed out during the entire interview. It's also really nice that you get to hear back so quickly. Also, I interviewed fairly late as well (mid January). I got in the car to drive home at 4:00 and was accepted by 6:30pm via phone call. If you have any questions about the Athens campus, feel free to ask! I love this school and am very pleased with my decision.
Thats awesome thanks for the reply and glad to hear it! I really cant wait :D

Accepted today!!! Will be reserving my spot and attending!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!!! I Interview this Friday and probably find out my fate that day (or the preceding days) also lol
Thank you! I didn't get a call after the interview, but did receive an acceptance e-mail before 10am on the Monday after the interview. Seriously just be yourself for the interview and show that you're a good person hahah. Best of luck! You'll do great! :)

Thank you! I didn't get a call after the interview, but did receive an acceptance e-mail before 10am on the Monday after the interview. Seriously just be yourself for the interview and show that you're a good person hahah. Best of luck! You'll do great! :)
Thanks for the advice ive heard its pretty laid back. Good to know not receiving an immediate phone call after isnt a death sentence lol

just submitted AACOMAS 2 weeks ago, how long did everyones take to verify? also if our number one choice is athens do we just complete the first secondary essay? thanks!
It can take 4-8 weeks depending on your app. If you've been to several schools or have more info to verify, it will take a bit longer. Hope that helps!

Has anyone heard anything via phone call tonight? Reading past threads it seems like phone calls were made same day.
Sometimes it happens, but you'll find out by the Monday after your interview no matter what... Good luck!

So sad I haven't heard from them. Top choice by a mile. Holding out hope over here. I know some people who are there now who didn't interview until the spring so fingers crossed.
It might not hurt to call the Admissions Office and ask if there is anything you can do to strengthen your application as you haven't heard yet. Any updates are considered when looking at your app...

It might not hurt to call the Admissions Office and ask if there is anything you can do to strengthen your application as you haven't heard yet. Any updates are considered when looking at your app...

Will do

Just received all check marks yesterday on my online application portal. Really hoping to hear back/invite for an interview. 3.8 overall undergrad GPA, 3.7 science, 503 MCAT, and lots of extracurricular/research. Do you think I have a chance?

Secondary marked complete yesterday as well! I had a low undergrad cgpa 3.1 with a low sgpa 2.8, but did graduate work and got a 3.94 gpa and am currently in LECOMs post bacc program with a 3.5 gpa. 502 MCAT. Great research and phenomenal letters. Hoping to get in here, I'm IS too. Preference for Dublin branch.
Although great since undergrad, I hope my low undergrad doesn't hold me back too much. :unsure:

Secondary marked complete yesterday as well! I had a low undergrad cgpa 3.1 with a low sgpa 2.8, but did graduate work and got a 3.94 gpa and am currently in LECOMs post bacc program with a 3.5 gpa. 502 MCAT. Great research and phenomenal letters. Hoping to get in here, I'm IS too. Preference for Dublin branch.
Although great since undergrad, I hope my low undergrad doesn't hold me back too much. :unsure:

Let me know if you hear anything back!

Hi Everyone, I just joined here on the thread.I wanted to share that I interviewed Jan.15 and was accepted. OU-HCOM holds a phenomenal interview day! Its very fun and helps you relx when you actually do your 3-30minute Interviews. I don't want to say it was extremely laid back, rather it was a professional discussion on my interests and why DO and why OU-HCOM. My stats where a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8sGPA. My MCAT was a 23 (6VB,9BS,8PS). I obtained 6 letter of recs including one from an MD and One from a DO. I shadowed and did research, yes, but my volunteering and work that I did after graduating undergrad truly highlighted my secondary app. They really try too investigate your "true purpose" on why becoming an osteopathic physician. It took about a month after putting in my secondary to get an interview and yes its February so Im late to reply to you guys. I wish everyone good luck and cant wait to see my fellow classmates of 2020!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Everyone, I just joined here on the thread.I wanted to share that I interviewed Jan.15 and was accepted. OU-HCOM holds a phenomenal interview day! Its very fun and helps you relx when you actually do your 3-30minute Interviews. I don't want to say it was extremely laid back, rather it was a professional discussion on my interests and why DO and why OU-HCOM. My stats where a 3.8 cGPA and a 3.8sGPA. My MCAT was a 23 (6VB,9BS,8PS). I obtained 6 letter of recs including one from an MD and One from a DO. I shadowed and did research, yes, but my volunteering and work that I did after graduating undergrad truly highlighted my secondary app. They really try too investigate your "true purpose" on why becoming an osteopathic physician. It took about a month after putting in my secondary to get an interview and yes its February so Im late to reply to you guys. I wish everyone good luck and cant wait to see my fellow classmates of 2020!!!

A month after you submitted it or everything on your Online Portal was checked? Just clarifying lol. Thanks

Hey guys just interviewed 1/29 and already accepted to Cleveland campus :soexcited:!!!! Whooooo so exciting and like everyone else has been saying the entire interview day is amazing and much less stressful than other interviews I have been at.

Congratulations everyone! Let us know any details about how it went and how long you were waiting to get an interview, etc.!

Congrats again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone comment on what type of tablet we need for OU-HCOM? The COA lists a "Required PC tablet" for $1,028.

Also, should we really expect to pay the listed $3,209 for "books and journals" for the first year?

Can anyone comment on what type of tablet we need for OU-HCOM? The COA lists a "Required PC tablet" for $1,028.

Also, should we really expect to pay the listed $3,209 for "books and journals" for the first year?

As a current student, I can say that tablets are not required (this year, at least). As for the books, the LRC (med school library) has copies of the books we use and usually the lecture slides are enough to do well on the exams. I would not recommend purchasing any books unless you are absolutely dying to have your own copies. They definitely aren't cheap!

Hey guys just interviewed 1/29 and already accepted to Cleveland campus :soexcited:!!!! Whooooo so exciting and like everyone else has been saying the entire interview day is amazing and much less stressful than other interviews I have been at.
What were your stats?

II today for next Friday 02/12!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
As a current student, I can say that tablets are not required (this year, at least). As for the books, the LRC (med school library) has copies of the books we use and usually the lecture slides are enough to do well on the exams. I would not recommend purchasing any books unless you are absolutely dying to have your own copies. They definitely aren't cheap!

Thanks so much for the info! I'll definitely be trying to save as much as possible! :)

Really hoping for an II! Already have a few acceptances but would absolutely love to stay in Ohio!

Congrats!!!!
Would you mind sharing how long between your app being complete and an II?

Thanks so much!

I was complete mid-september but sent a couple of update emails regarding healthcare experience.

I was complete mid-september but sent a couple of update emails regarding healthcare experience.
Wow! They waited so long! That's great news though and I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! Knock 'em dead!

A month after you submitted it or everything on your Online Portal was checked? Just clarifying lol. Thanks
Im not quite sure what you mean, but as soon as I finished and submitted it, it took a month to get an interview. I did it the day it came, it was easy..

Anyone else interviewing on 2/19? I hope there are still plenty of seats available.

How was Friday's interview?! Any acceptances?!

Got the call about an hour ago! Accepted after a great day at OUHCOM!!!!! Now let's cap off this great night with a Blue Jackets win!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Got the call about an hour ago! Accepted after a great day at OUHCOM!!!!! Now let's cap off this great night with a Blue Jackets win!

Congratulations!! To Dublin, Cleveland or Athens?!

Athens

Congratulations! I interviewed today as well, couldn't agree more on the interview day quality, was a great experience.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I interviewed today as well, couldn't agree more on the interview day quality, was a great experience.

Good luck to you, hope you get some good news too!!!