OHSU Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vigils

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been waiting for an acceptance letter to OHSU. Does anyone know how many offers of acceptance have been given to date? I was told this week that they are averaging about 25% acceptances of their interviewees. I think they said they would interview 420 this year, so that?s 105..., plus you have to take into account the multiple acceptances and waitlist, hopefully in the end I'll get in.

Just wanted to start a new more positive thread for OHSU. In the entire interview process I have found the admissions staff to be helpful and courteous. They answer my questions succinctly and the interview day was very professional. In additions, the interviewers were pleasant and insightful. All and all, I think they're doing a great job.

That said, I think that the med school applicant process would be much less stressful if the medical schools adopted an approach similar to the residency match. Finding out on one day would definitely be better. The current system only benefits a few highly competitive applicants while it leaves the majority pulling out their hair.

I also wanted to mention that OHSU is one of the greatest state medical schools in the nation. I have worked at the children's hospital for years and know firsthand that the quality of care at OHSU is superior to other health care institutions in nearly every way. Just wanted to add my two cents on why OHSU is a great school and health care system.

Happy posting:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, OHSU is a gorgeous campus, has a top-flight brand-new Children's Hospital, an excellent mix of mature and diverse students, and great patient exposure in the preclinical years. The city of Portland is easily one of the most desireable mid-size cities in the country to live in, with mountains and beaches an hour a half away either direction.

We're just all bitter because it took so long to start interviewing and so few acceptances have been handed out to folks hoping to head home for medical school. :)

I was just about to start a thread like this myself!!

I've narrowed down my choices to OHSU or one other school. I might go visit OHSU one more time to ask some more questions and talk to some current students... is anyone else doing that?

I love the curriculum and the location, and after my interview I felt really excited about going there. My only reservation is the cost (I'm out-of-state) and that most students are going into primary care, while I'd still like to consider a specialty. The other school I'm considering is also a great school, but it's not an area I'd be crazy about living in for 4 years-- I'm debating with myself whether that's worth the $ I save.

Anyway, it's a tough choice... May 15th isn't far away!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by fang
My only reservation is the cost (I'm out-of-state) and that most students are going into primary care, while I'd still like to consider a specialty.

Whats wrong with that? OHSU doesn't push people to go into primary care. You can do whatever you want to do at OHSU. It doesn't matter if most students are going into primary care or not. What matters is what you want to do. From what I gathered when I interviewed at OHSU one can do anything. My tour guide matched into anesthesiology.

I think the school gets that whole "primary care" label because of those stupid us news rankings.

But I say...if you really liked the place then go. Their primary care image should not affect your decision. Costs on the other hand...well...thats your call as an out of stater.

I wasn't criticizing-- it's just one of many differences between the schools! Anyway, if OHSU were a little cheaper this would be a very easy decision... that's the real issue for me. (I'm going to go look at the financial aid page now...)

OHSU's matchlist is great. They match in almost every specialty to top hospitals. Your concern about the primary care slant shouldn't be great as they offer equal opportunities for every interest.

Hey fang. I hear what you're sayin' with the primary care thing. In fact, when I asked about the weaknesses in my interview the physician told me a few years ago she would of said it was the lack of students pursuing speacialty fields. But in addition she stated that more recently many people are entering specialties from OHSU. One of my good friends just enterd an Anestesiology residency, and I know a good majority of this years class have pursued specialties. I hope that doesn't keep you from choosing OHSU. As for money, I know, it sucks. Sucks big time. Especially for in staters. The claim up here on the hill is that the state pays an exceptionally low amount of tuition for its state residents attending the medical school, I heard 3%. So the school just hikes up the price of tution and accepts more out of staters. Well, good luck. I'll see you in class.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Recently OHSU has received a lot of new grants, the typical benchmark for a better specialty and research institution. These include a grant to educate students on nontraditional healing methods, a reputable Howard Hughes medical grant for Dr. Drukers work on gleevec, and a 200 million dollar public/private Oregon Opportunity grant that is aimed to give OHSU resources to provide a good foundation for the next century of health care services in Oregon. It is largely going to be used for a massive new branch of campus to be built down by the Willamette river in Portland.

Originally posted by fang
I wasn't criticizing-- it's just one of many differences between the schools! Anyway, if OHSU were a little cheaper this would be a very easy decision... that's the real issue for me. (I'm going to go look at the financial aid page now...)

Well you did say that the number of people pursuing primary care residencies was one of your reservations. My point was(as Manicmaven also stated) that you shouldn't have any reservations about how few or how many students enter primary care as ohsu will allow you to pursue ANY specialty you wish whether it be family practice or neurosurgery.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
One of the people I met during lunch was matching into ob/gyn.

btw, OB/GYN is generally a primary care field. maybe you mean obstetric surgery..

I agree with what everyone says - OHSU is a decent school, in a good location. I'm hoping to match there, or in cali. Most of their programs are generally on the upswing. There may be a subtle impact on the hospital, based on the state's recession/budget crisis. The new biomedical research center, and the new outpatient treatment building will be good. The aerial tram will also be interesting...although I'm not sure what their plans are down in se macadam.

Dean Cassell will be leaving this year to chair the American Board of Internal Medicine...another good sign that OHSU will stay well-connected in medicine.

:love: nothin but luv for OHSU :love:

Originally posted by carrigallen
btw, OB/GYN is generally a primary care field. maybe you mean obstetric surgery..

I agree with what everyone says - OHSU is a decent school, in a good location. I'm hoping to match there, or in cali. Most of their programs are generally on the upswing. There may be a subtle impact on the hospital, based on the state's recession/budget crisis. The new biomedical research center, and the new outpatient treatment building will be good. The aerial tram will also be interesting...although I'm not sure what their plans are down in se macadam.

Dean Cassell will be leaving this year to chair the American Board of Internal Medicine...another good sign that OHSU will stay well-connected in medicine.

:love: nothin but luv for OHSU :love:

ya...sorry...realized that after i posted.

The main point still stands though. :D

I think it is unfair to ohsu that people have qualms about going there because a lot of their students match into primary care. Its not like they tell anyone at their school that they must choose a primary care residency.

ya...sorry...realized that after i posted.

The main point still stands though. :D

I think it is unfair to ohsu that people have qualms about going there because a lot of their students match into primary care. Its not like they tell anyone at their school that they must choose a primary care residency.

I agree - at the same time, their internal medicine reputation is *outstanding*, which means lots of students want to match into internal medicine. I also noticed that OHSU has been climbing in the rankings - they are close to the top 30, and have been in the top 5 for primary care for awhile. I predict that OHSU will eventually become as well-known as UW and UCSD are now.

The aerial tram will also be interesting...although I'm not sure what their plans are down in se macadam

Down by macadam, or the river, theyare planning a massive expansion for OHSU. It is the next phase of construction planned after the two buildings here on the hill. It will have many new buildings, like over 10, it will have housing, shops, cafe's etc, and like you mentioned, that's where the new aerial tram station will take off from. Pretty impressive. There is actually an article about it in one of the magazines they give you at your interview. I heard one of the buildings will be dedicated for pharmaceutical research, a satellite facility for the Oregon State University School of pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how many acceptances have been handed out, is the class full?

Check this out:

I hear from my premed advisor that all the people on the hold-list (who haven't been decided on) get put on a ranked waitlist in May, and that maybe a third of those folks get in.

That is good to hear, that OHSU is a good school. I 've seen the ER ward for a little, and the staff is friendly. I haven't had an in-depth chance to really walk around more or take a look at the place yet. I am not interviewing yet for 2-3 yrs ..so i have some time.
I live near Portland , Oregon. It is a great area.
The downtown areas, saturday markets, zoo, beaches, and especially if anyone is in the area..check out Multnomah Falls. Very beautiful! OHSU, right now is the #1 school on the my list.
I hope to do a summer thing there, to check it out more..etc.
:clap: OHSU:clap: ......OREGON:love:

Any word on OHSU??

When I talked to Jennifer (?) at the beginning of April, they were still reviewing files of those interviewed in FEBRUARY!!! Has anyone heard differently?

EDIT: It ocurred to me that I should call again (I mean, I do get at least three annoying phone calls, right?). Anyway, I was told my file had been reviewed, but that they "hadn't calculated my numbers" and that I should hear back soon. "A week?" I asked. No, perhaps two weeks.

So here's the scoop: Even if you interviewed two months ago, they may not have reviewed your file completely. Hopefully we'll all hear back by the AMCAS deadline.

I just heard the same thing! Jennifer told me that my application had (finally) been reviewed this past thursday, the 24th, and that I could expect to hear in one to two weeks....she said that they were really trying to get ALL the remaining letters out in the next two weeks - just clearing the May 15th deadline! Good luck to everyone who is constantly checking their mail :) I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Suckie, suckie, I got put in the hold pool. Seems like everyone gets put in the hold pool. I asked how many people get put in the hold pool and the admissions office said approximately 65% of the interviewed applicants get placed in the hold pool. With 420 interviewed, I figured somewhere around 270 people will be placed in the hold pool. Around 60 are already accepted, class of 104, at most 80 people accepted on the wait list, so I figure at best 120 out of the 270 will be accepted, about 45%. It just sucks so bad waiting. The bad thing about the hold pool is your not any closer to being accepted. I just can't wait till the new infor after May 15th.

Any movement in the hold pool? Anyone receive any letters?? Any news at all???

Dammit. I too am now in the hold pool! I knew this was going to happen, but I had kept one remnant of hope that I would FINALLY know what was really going to happen with OHSU. I am SOOOO tired of not knowing where I will be next year! I cant make any plans for when I am going to move because I have been accepted at Loyola, which starts June 28th, but am waiting on OHSU, which starts July 28th.....I cant figure out where I will live, who I will live with, if I will have to leave my boyfriend or not....ARGGGG....sorry, needed to vent a bit. I figured of all people, those who are also being jerked around by OHSU would understand....only ten more days till we know more!

Originally posted by J244
Dammit. I too am now in the hold pool! I knew this was going to happen, but I had kept one remnant of hope that I would FINALLY know what was really going to happen with OHSU. I am SOOOO tired of not knowing where I will be next year! I cant make any plans for when I am going to move because I have been accepted at Loyola, which starts June 28th, but am waiting on OHSU, which starts July 28th.....I cant figure out where I will live, who I will live with, if I will have to leave my boyfriend or not....ARGGGG....sorry, needed to vent a bit. I figured of all people, those who are also being jerked around by OHSU would understand....only ten more days till we know more!

I keep wondering if it's worth the pain and suffering to keep waiting for OHSU to make up their minds about who is in, out, or waiting. I have the same kind of problem that you do: acceptance on the East Coast, a fiance and household to move. OHSU is a great school and I really want to attend there, but their application process is definitely not geared towards people who have families/business responsibilities. It's frankly unreasonable to expect people to wait until the month before school starts to learn of their status.

Even though I really want to attend OHSU next year, it looks like I'm going to have to take a deferral at XYZ school by June 1st - and wait a year to start. I can't be burning bridges with the schools to which I have been accepted on the hope that OHSU will get their act together in a timely manner.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to spend next winter in France . . . . +pissed+

I feel for those of you whose lives are on hold while waiting for OHSU to get their s*** together. I was in that boat myself last year, and grew very bitter toward the school. The admissions process at OHSU is crap. BUT, I want you to know that the rest of the administration is just the opposite. The deans and the teaching services people are absolutely fantastic and are very interested in you as individuals. Don't let the admissions fiasco taint your picture of the school.

sacrament-

Do you have any insight for us? I was under the impression that those of us on hold would be told by mid-May that we have been accepted, rejected or placed in a specific position on the waitlist. Do you have any idea how many on hold applicants will be accepted, how many rejected and how many waitlisted?

Thanks.

Originally posted by calipremed
sacrament-

Do you have any insight for us? I was under the impression that those of us on hold would be told by mid-May that we have been accepted, rejected or placed in a specific position on the waitlist. Do you have any idea how many on hold applicants will be accepted, how many rejected and how many waitlisted?

Thanks.

Sorry, I really don't know how they do things. :(

I saw July 28th as the start date for OHSU... that seems to be conflicting with stuff i'd read earlier about much later start dates... can anyone say for sure when classes start?

i'm in the same state of limbo as everybody else, but still trying to pretend I have some semblence of control over the next few months of my life.

nevermind... just answered my own question: according to the registrar's web page for OHSU, MS1 classes for fall term 2003 begin on 8/25

Sound's like I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. I interviewed in November and was promptly put on the hold list. Basically, since my interview with OHSU, I was accepted to several other schools and had to pay a deposit fee to hold my place at one of them. Now, having still not heard ANYTHING from OHSU in 6 months; I have a place to live on the other side of the country...my wife has transferred to another university close to the school that I am going to attend, I had to make plans to move 3000 miles, and I was forced to pay the fairly significant deposit to guarantee to myself that I would be attending somewhere in the fall. Now, I realize that this is OHSU's party and that they are in the priveliged position to invite whomever they want at a time that they feel is appropriate. But, in my situation, their procrastination has almost forced me to abandon all hope of attending OHSU (which was my first choice school going into this whole process last summer.) After dealing with many other admissions departments that seem to realize the gravity of the medical school matriculation process for most people, and experiencing the other schools efforts to facilitate a more seamless transition (if there is such a thing) into medical school, I am forced to question OHSU's desire to build a better medical program and attract the top students in the nation. If the arrogance and indifference that I have seen from the admissions office is indicative of the attitudes of the rest of the administration at OHSU, I have to ask myself if I would go there at all if I were to be admitted.

Eh, being put on OHSU's hold list is no different than being put on any other school's waiting list - which probably means they should just slightly alter their admissions procedures to overaccept a little more and just call it that.

Their waiting list is a pretty friendly one, though...you know exactly where you stand, and they will tell you exactly how far they've gone through the ranked list.

Do you guys know if we can call on May 15th to find our ranking on the waitlist, or if we need to wait for a letter a week later?

Originally posted by xaelia
Eh, being put on OHSU's hold list is no different than being put on any other school's waiting list - which probably means they should just slightly alter their admissions procedures to overaccept a little more and just call it that.

Their waiting list is a pretty friendly one, though...you know exactly where you stand, and they will tell you exactly how far they've gone through the ranked list.

Word...I guess I'm not too pissed at OHSU because of the fact that I am a CA resident and it's exactly the same scenario down here. Hold, hold, hold...Hold everywhere...It's still a great school, and you have to make that decision when the time comes. Too bad that "time" is unknown.

Xaelia, when do they make that waitlist? May 15?

Originally posted by ORMDwannabe
I am forced to question OHSU's desire to build a better medical program and attract the top students in the nation.

Exactly!! Although I understand the wish to interview all applicants before filling the class, I have to question their process of continuing to interview through the end of April. Perhaps their admissions committee would be better served by scheduling and reviewing interviews in a more timely manner - say by finishing in mid-March instead of mid-May. That way they could continue to use their process without jeapordizing their ability to make competitive offers to qualified students.

I, too, question their seeming lack of interest in the incoming class. Other schools are more forthcoming with help, and even (dare I say) recruitment efforts.

Do you guys know if we can call on May 15th to find our ranking on the waitlist, or if we need to wait for a letter a week later?

No idea; someone here could volunteer to call them up and ask the timetable for Hold-list final disposition notification.

Originally posted by xaelia

That's not true, though. Schools that have a waiting lists have actually sent out enough acceptances to fill the class. They are just waiting for applicants to turn down the offers so they can send acceptances to those on the wait list.

OHSU has not (as of May 1) sent out enough acceptances to fill their class. The following is how they do it:

1. Assign each interviewee a numerical score.
2. Only people who receive a very high score are sent immediate acceptances (that was 60 people as of 5/1).
3. Everyone else is put in the hold pool.
4. May 15th or so, they send out the rest of the acceptances to fill the class and then they turn the remaining hold pool into a ranked waiting list based on your score.

The above is much different than being on a waiting list at a school that has already filled its class. On a waiting list, you are able to weigh the odds and get some kind of idea if you even have a chance to get in at those schools (knowing that there are more acceptances sitting out there than there are places in the class). In the OHSU hold pool, you really don't know your status. I think that is a fundamental differnce from a [ranked or otherwise] wait list.

Originally posted by indo
Someone commented that OHSU's in state acceptees are probably responsible for bring down OHSU's averages (3.6 gpa and 30 mcat). I just wondered how you people compare to the averages...You don't need to post numbers unless you really want to or you just don't care. I'm trying to get an idea of how various in state applicants do as far as applying to OHSU.

Why would the in-state acceptees be responsible for bringing down the scores? The only advantage in-state students have is in getting the interview (I think they only interview out of staters with a 30+ MCAT?). After that, everyone is on equal footing as OHSU is no longer a fully state-supported medical school (like UW).

Why would Oregon residents have less competitive applications than those in any other state in the first place? Or was this someone who posted about lower averages suggesting that the more competitve OR applicants go elsewhere? :confused:

I actually just saw somewhere (US news?) that Oregon's avg. GPA has gone up to 3.7 but the MCAT has remained around 30. I was an Oregon applicant with 3.5 and 31 MCAT. Interviewed in Nov. and on hold as well. I have to agree with ORMDwannabe. I feel like the admissions staff has been less than accomodating and less friendly than other schools. I would have gone to Northwestern, even with an acceptance from OHSU, but I don't know how many others would choose a private school over Oregon if they were in state.

so what's the word? should we expect a letter postmarked by May 15th, or is OHSU required to have acceptances in people's hands before that day? maybe i'm just splitting hairs, but these last few days of waiting are killing me...

Originally posted by manicmaven
I I would have gone to Northwestern, even with an acceptance from OHSU, but I don't know how many others would choose a private school over Oregon if they were in state.

If I may be so bold as to ask - what were the major factors in choosing Northwestern over OHSU. I assume you are an OR resident?

And how does it feel to know where you'll be next year? (that's jealousy leaking through :) )

My factors for choosing NU were:

1) I've wanted to go to a big name school all my life. (a cheesy factor to most, but I don't care, it's true)

2) I really didn't have the numbers to get into NU and they'd told me that they wanted diverse students who rounded out the class. It must have been true if they took me.

3) Something about Northwestern just clicked with me. I loved the big city, loved that it was P/F, loved that lecture was 2 hours per day and that the students seemed so damn nice. It just felt right to me.

4) I feel it's a slightly better school than OHSU, and with their debt cap program, my loan debt will come out about even.

How does it feel to know where I'm going? Really really good, but I remember every day how random this process is and that more than hard work, acceptances are often about luck after a certain point and that I could have easily been waiting through the summer or had to apply twice. I feel for you guys on waitlists and I hope they come through soon.

manic

My factors for choosing NU were:

1) I've wanted to go to a big name school all my life. (a cheesy factor to most, but I don't care, it's true)

lol

2) I really didn't have the numbers to get into NU and they'd told me that they wanted diverse students who rounded out the class. It must have been true if they took me.

What were NU's averages anyways?

3) Something about Northwestern just clicked with me. I loved the big city, loved that it was P/F, loved that lecture was 2 hours per day and that the students seemed so damn nice. It just felt right to me.

As much as I loved Portland when I interviewed...it can't compare to Downtown Chi-town. I just hope that the winters aren't all that bad.

I would pick NU over OHSU as well.
:D

NU's averages were somewhere around 3.7 GPA and MCATs at 11+ in almost every section.

I'm excited to go to chicago. I've been calling on apartments and have narrowed it down to 4 buildings. I'm moving August 1st and will spend a few weeks checking out the town. I'll see you there. wahoo!

I would pick NU over OHSU as well.
:D

So would you guys pick Dartmouth over OHSU?? It is a better name in the long run, but both are ranked about the same, right?

I can't speak for the Primary Care rankings, but glancing over the Research rankings this morning, I was suprised to see that they are ranked very closely.

I actually went to Dartmouth undergrad and think you can't go wrong at either place. I'm personally ready to get back to the west coast, so I'd choose OHSU... but Dartmouth is an amazing place with great medical facilites. The isolation factor is something else to consider, but DHMC serves and enormous geographic region so you're going to get good clinical exposure.

Originally posted by ironey
So would you guys pick Dartmouth over OHSU?? It is a better name in the long run, but both are ranked about the same, right?

Hmm...tough call...I really liked Dartmouth and OHSU. Portland is hands down better than Hanover. But if you like skiing and ice skating Dartmouth wins. Since I enjoy snowboarding and I am a big hockey fan(I love to play and I watch too. Go Ducks!!!) for me any advantages that Portland may have as a city are negated.

Both schools have nice hospitals. If I were more inclined towards rural medicine then Dartmouth would be it. Then again I think OHSU has a required rural rotation.

Also I think Dartmouth has a smaller class and the profs and faculty are more up close and personal. But I guess thats what happens when you go to school in a one street town.

As far as curriculum I dunno enough about the two to make comparisons. I'd probably compare that before making a final decision.

But as it stands right nw I'd probably choose Dartmouth because its a chance to go to an ivy, experience four seasons, and become a really really good snowboarder. ;)

You certainly have a tough choice though. Can't go wrong either way IMO.

Dartmouth and OHSU are both excellent and similarly respected schools. There's not going to be any consensus on which one is "better", it just comes down to what your intangible impression of the school was on your visit.

Hey Guys -
I took it upon myself to call OHSU about the waitlist...apparently they are going to mail out the letters on Monday or Tuesday of this next week, so we should be RECIEVING them by thursday...one more thing to make me even more obsessed by my mailbox, if thats even possible at this point!

Thanks everyone for the perspectives. However, at this point, I've narrowed my acceptances to Dartmouth and I'm in the hold pool at OHSU so it looks like Hanover . . . . which is great, but it's been my second choice during this whole process.

Anyhoo.

Update on the hold pool (talked to the admissions office this morning):

Letters will go out to everyone in the Hold Pool "early next week." We should expect notification "by May 15th."

So that means less than seven days for everyone . . . .which is better than 10, right?

The person I spoke with could not (would not?) give me the exact number of acceptances that have gone out prior to today, though. The rumor is still 60 acceptances as of May 1st. Maybe someone else could use up a call to find out if interested.

Hey Guys -
I took it upon myself to call OHSU about the waitlist...apparently they are going to mail out the letters on Monday or Tuesday of this next week, so we should be RECIEVING them by thursday...one more thing to make me even more obsessed by my mailbox, if thats even possible at this point!

Great minds must think alike. Check it out, we were posting the same thing at the same time!!!

:cool:

confused...whats this letter gonna be about? where we are on the waitlist?

The hold pool is not the same as a waitlist. The letter is hopefully an acceptance (because they have yet to give enough offers to fill their class) or it could be a letter telling us that we have been put on the waitlist. I imagine that it could also be a rejection. Does anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist? Do they waitlist everybody in the hold pool that is not accepted?