Ohsu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotchnwater

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the general consensus is out there about OHSU. I interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the program, and Portland seems like a fantastic place to live. They appear to be on the upswing, and have a very committed and enthusiastic Chair. At this point, I am tempted to rank them #1.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there, and although their location keeps them out of my #1 slot, I don't think going to OHSU would be a mistake for anyone. A very appealing program.

I have heard great things about it from a med school friend.

Good cases, from the start. Very reasonable call the first year.

Plenty of research if you want to do it.

Fellowships in CCM, peds, pain if you want them.

Increasing Cardiac numbers.

Portland is a great city.

I think the general consensus is good to great nationally. Remember though, YOU Have to be happy for 3 yrs with your decision. IF you liked it, that is what matters.

Don't go to MGH or Hopkins (for example) because the general consensus is that they are awesome.

Just wondering what the general consensus is out there about OHSU. I interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the program, and Portland seems like a fantastic place to live. They appear to be on the upswing, and have a very committed and enthusiastic Chair. At this point, I am tempted to rank them #1.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as "tiers" of programs go, where would OHSU go (I realize I'm asking for opinions and not facts here...) relative to places like UCSF, Stanford, UW-Washington, Northwestern, or Univ of Chicago?

I'm not so much concerned about the "wow" factor when I tell people where I'm going as I am looking to fellowship/job opportunities in the future (probably not interested in academics, btw) - would there be any discernible disadvantages or would the difference be negligible?

Thanks for the input!

Tiers are worthless. Nearly no one can agree.

I think u will do great at all the progs you listed.

I also think OHSU is less malignant than some of the progs u listed. And no, I will not opine on which ones fit that description :)

OHSU will get u any fellowship and likely any job. Pick which prog felt right and which city or region you groove on. Your own strengthes will take care of the rest!

As far as "tiers" of programs go, where would OHSU go (I realize I'm asking for opinions and not facts here...) relative to places like UCSF, Stanford, UW-Washington, Northwestern, or Univ of Chicago?

I'm not so much concerned about the "wow" factor when I tell people where I'm going as I am looking to fellowship/job opportunities in the future (probably not interested in academics, btw) - would there be any discernible disadvantages or would the difference be negligible?

Thanks for the input!

Anyone currently planning to rank this program pretty high? How have things changed since 2007 with the new chair?

Anybody have info about what their ICU experience is like at OHSU? Is it anesthesia run, closed or open?
How competitive is OHSU? If there are any residents out there that can PM me that would be appreciated to!

Last edited: