OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aperry06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to USUHS to enter in the fall of 2006. I was wondering a few things about OIS and it seems most of the postings about it are fairly old so I was hoping I could get some advice from those people who have recently gone through it.
1) When did you report to OIS?
2) What was a typical day at OIS like? I've heard some compare it to summer camp and some to boot camp and since those are fairly far apart on the spectrum I was wondering what to expect. I know it's going to be challenging but I want to mentally prepare myself for how challenging.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

aperry06 said:
I've been accepted to USUHS to enter in the fall of 2006. I was wondering a few things about OIS and it seems most of the postings about it are fairly old so I was hoping I could get some advice from those people who have recently gone through it.
1) When did you report to OIS?
2) What was a typical day at OIS like? I've heard some compare it to summer camp and some to boot camp and since those are fairly far apart on the spectrum I was wondering what to expect. I know it's going to be challenging but I want to mentally prepare myself for how challenging.

Thanks
I went through it about 8 years ago, so my info's old too. But it's not challenging in the slightest. I think it's a couple weeks shorter now.

The Navy finally unscrewed my paperwork in June, and then faxed my orders to a recruiting office in the wrong state. Eventually I got them and discovered I had to be in Newport three days later. I literally got off the plane, took a cab to the gate, and walked in about 30 minutes before the no-later-than time on my orders.

The most mentally challenging thing I did the entire time I was there was in those first few minutes, when I managed to restrain myself and not use my suitcase to crush the skull of some worthless piece of **** ensign who screamed at me to take off my sunglasses.

At some point, very early on, they might play some games with a Marine NCO or SNCO yelling at you, but the only reason this works is because none of the O-1 and O-3 med students and dentists know that Staff Sergeants don't yell at officers. This isn't OCS; you're not an "officer candidate" ... you're already a commissioned officer. Your future is not in question. You're there to check a box. Don't let any of the stupid games they may or may not play with you rattle you.

If you're in poor physical condition, the PT could be a challenge. But if you can pass the Navy test (run 1.5 miles in under ~12-13 minutes + ~45 push ups + ~60 sit ups - it depends on your age) you will have no problem. The PT is tailored to the lowest common denominator, and with a few hundred medical & dental corps people, that's pretty low.

There's a ton of marching, which you will grow to hate, but if you've ever seen a group of dentists and medical students march ... well, it can be fun to watch. My company got a bad command during graduation and actually did a right oblique into the bleachers. They still let me go to medical school though.

Endless classes, some were useful (history/traditions, legal, admin) and some were just absurd (eg, "leadership" classes centered around reading "7 Habits of Highly Successful People"). None were difficult. If you can put up with organic chemistry and do well enough to get into medical school, you could get through OIS drunk, high, or both.

The instructor for my group was a nurse corps lieutenant. I thought it was a bit weird that a bunch of soon-to-be doctors were getting indoctrinated by a nurse. But maybe they were just preparing us for the day when nurse corps captains would be telling us what to do.

In short - there is a lot of useful stuff you'll learn, and there's some stupid and annoying garbage to put up with. But none of it is difficult, challenging, or stressful.

What ppg said is basically still true. I went through OIS last summer. Supposedly OIS was made a bit more intense a few years back after partying in Newport got out of hand, but it is nowhere near what happens in OCS or the academies.

You arrive in Providence airport the day before it starts and take a $25 shuttle to the base in Newport. The ensign who picks you up at the gate is another medical student from the OIS class who started two weeks before you did, so if he is a tool, it probably wasn't the Navy who made him one.

Chiefs and Senior Chiefs run the divisions (about 40 people you share a hall with), and they tend to scream a lot and yell goofy insults with straight faces, but they mellowed out after about a week and actually were pretty cool guys.

The admin officers were nurse corps and line. They were good people mostly. I guess the medical officers have better things to do than run a summer camp.

You wake up at 430, work out at 5 for an hour (PT is running and calisthetics), go to breakfast, go to class all day, have dinner around 5 or 6, and generally have the evenings off (except you can't leave the dorm area). Lights out at 10. You have to shine your shoes, do easy homework, and iron your uniform in the evenings.

The marching is really funny. Everywhere you go, you have to march in formation, and med students don't really go along with that. Under no circumstances volunteer to be the drill leader.

You're there for 5 weeks, and the last two weekends you get some privledges to go to the officers club and to Newport, which is a decent town to go out in. You get a lot of attention in your whites.

There is some fun military style training: damage control and rescue on a ship simulator, firefighting, lifeboat/water survival, etc. I hear they're adding small arms training this year.

One annoying thing: they made everyone give up their OTC and prescription meds in the beginning, and any med you needed they would prescribe for you (and give to you for free). Boot camps in generally have had a problem with recruits taking stimulants to stay awake and then ODing. This makes sense, but it still seemed sort of a violation of our privacy. Which I guess we don't have anymore, since we joined the military. At the end, they gave everyone's stuff back.

You take a urine drug test the first week. There is internet available, but you can only use a navy email they give to you. The computers won't go to yahoo or gmail or anything like that, but some university web mail sites worked. They don't allow you to use the phone, but most people just brought cell phones and used them in their rooms. Nobody got caught. You have a locked locker which they don't look in. Just don't leave it unlocked, because then they go through all your stuff, throw your clothes out in the hall, and flip out about any contraband. My roomie had some cookies in the locker (no food allowed in the dorm), and our senior chief totally flipped out and crumbled them up all over our hall and then made him pick it up while the rest of us did pushups. I was having trouble not cracking up.

Anyway, you get the idea. It sort of is a cross between summer camp and boot camp. So good luck. It kind of sucks sometimes but was sort of fun in retrospect. Plus you'll get to meet some really cool people that you'll eventually be working with. I wouldn't want to do it again, but it's only five weeks, and at least you learn how to put on your uniform.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you don't mind, i think i'll sticky this and edit the title with something about OIS/OBC information-- i *thought* we had a thread concerning officer schools, but i sure don;t see one now.

--your friendly neighborhood stickin' threads caveman

Hi everyone,

I'm a first year med student who attended COT last summer. I browse these forums occasionally and figured I would add some random tips/info from my COT experience after not seeing any on here. I know this is some stuff that I would have liked to have known before I went.

In no particular order...

-Try to purchase your uniforms before you get there & have them altered and pressed before you arrive. The first couple of days are extremely long and tiring just trying to wait in line to get your uniform, hoping that they still have your size. I envied those who already had everything. Also, start shining your boots.

-Print off and know the OI's (operating instructions) before you arrive (They should be on the COT website.) When I arrived there they starting yelling as we got off the bus. I expected that, but some people were surprised. They will yell at you to tuck in your shirt (ladies, think carefully about wearing skimpy tops). Don't wear sandals. They will want $5 and your travel orders in hand. Then they will give you a copy of your OI's and tell you to learn them. You will need to know how to report in that night, which can be humiliating if you can't think of the correct reporting statement.

-Try to do your IAAP training before you arrive.

-Get there asap on the day of arrival. I arrived later in the afternoon, along with a ton of other people so we were up really late that night waiting to get checked in. My roomie had already unpacked all her stuff and was ready for bed by the time I made it up to my room.

-The dorm rooms are very nice! They were much nicer than my college dorm room. You have your own captain's bed, night stand, chest of drawers (one drawer locks, bring a combination lock), desk, sink, and a large walk in closet. You only have to share the toilet and shower with your roomie.

-Most rooms have a computer with restricted internet access. Most people could not check private e-mail, but it is a 10 minute walk to the library for full internet access.

-Bring at least one dressy outfit to go out to dinner. My flight and I went out a few times.

-But do not pack too much because you will be returning with A LOT more luggage (especially if you don't buy your uniforms ahead of time)

-Practice running the 1.5 mile. I am not much of an athlete, but I ran 3 miles/walked 1 mile almost every day for about a month and a half before COT. I did really well in the run compared to other members of my flight (with the exception of a few really good athletes).

-You won't get much sleep. You have to get up at 4:30 am every morning for PT. What time you go to bed varies. My roomie and I often didn't get to bed until 12:30am. A rare number of people managed to get to bed by 10.

-Get started on your samples of behavior (lesson objectives) as soon as lectures start. It'll make it easier when the exam comes instead of trying to do them all the night before.

-HAVE A GOOD ATTITUDE! You'll enjoy it more.

-The first few days may be high stress. You'll adjust after the 2nd week.

- The July course that I took was shortened and had the most people of all the sessions. I think that you normally have your weekends off, but we didn't because our session was shortened. I had 317 people in my class. It was composed of highly intelligent MDs, DOs, medical & dental students, dentists, JAGs, chaplains, nurses, and others.

-Try to bring all $10 bills and smaller. You need smaller bills for the cafeteria. The food wasn't too bad tasting but not the healthiest. It is supercheap. You can talk and eat freely, although in the beginning they may try to limit your time to eat. The OTS and ROTC cadets had to sometimes eat with us. I felt bad for them having to eat at attention while we were pretty loud.

-You will be able to use your cell phone in the dorm and in break rooms during the day. They also have phones in the dorm that you can use a calling card with.

-Last year was the first year that they allowed you to store non-perishable food in your dorm room.

-We only had one room inspection, and that was when we were checking out.

-There is a ton of marching to do, but it's not that bad. Just get it down right away because if you keep on making mistakes you will get targeted.

-The days can be long, with classes taking the majority of the day. PT was usually at 5:15am. Then classes started at either 7 or 8 am and sometimes went until 6pm. Then you ate dinner and spent the rest of the evening studying, shining your boots, ironing, etc. One of the hardest struggles was to stay awake in class. My flight members and I had to watch out for each other to make sure we didn't fall asleep and get targeted.

-If you are a major or above, or a captain who was commissioned a while ago, prepare to be a leader right away.

- We had a ton of fun at the formal event at the end of our training (I'm having a brain fart right now on what they called it....something like a military ball). However, some people exceeded their alcohol limits and embarrassed themselves by having to be carried, puking, to their dorm rooms.

-Overall COT was a really good experience and I was sad to say goodbye to some people.

Feel free to PM me or post other questions on here.

:)

Any suggestions on where I can get uniforms? I don't even know what kind of uniforms I am required to wear...

Also, what is IAAP training?

I'm going to start my COT this June. I'm actually looking forward to it ;)

HumptyDumptyMil said:
Any suggestions on where I can get uniforms? I don't even know what kind of uniforms I am required to wear...

Go to a nearby AF base. Proceed to Military Clothing. Let one of the clerks know that you're newly commissioned and that you need to be directed about which uniform components to buy. Of course, you will need to obtain your military ID before you'll be allowed to buy uniforms. Use your commissioning paperwork at the MPF (military personnel flight) to get your ID.

HumptyDumptyMil said:

Some people went with their recruiter to a base. If you are not near a base, it may be hard to get your uniforms. If you haven't already, check out the COT information on the Maxwell AFB website. They should have a list of uniform requirements there. (google COT and Maxwell AFB) If you cannot get your uniforms, do not stress. Many people did not....you will just have to be hot, tired, and cranky waiting in line :smuggrin:

Also on the COT website is a link to the IAAP training. It is just a computer based training on information security and the computer. It only takes about 30 minutes, but it was a pain when I had to do it at COT because we had to go to the library since you have to print out a certificate. It just makes it much easier when you get this stuff done beforehand so you have more time for other stuff.

One other thing I thought of... The list of suggestions on the COT website says to bring a briefcase. You won't need anything like that for the first few days that you are there. I ran into an issue with my standardization officer (one of the positions that you can have in the flight). She wanted all of us to have black shoulder bags. I had already purchased a blue shoulder bag, so I had to get a black one as well. So depending on how strict your standardization officer is, it would be better to wait and all get the same kind of bag at the same time. There are also regular blues shirts and princess cut shirts for ladies. I think the princess cut shirts look a lot better, but again, if your standardization officer is strict, everyone may have to have the same cut and so you may have to buy another shirt if you have the other kind.

Good luck to you! :luck:

I got my uniforms online at the AAFES exchange. Had the name tapes sewed on here, so they were all ready to go when I got there. I just bought my mess dress at COT, and it was much more relaxing. Granted, it was 5 years ago. Sounds a little more stressful now. Good luck! Steve

I was at the July COT like the OP. Some other things that you need to know:

-- Bring 10 copies of your orders.

-- As the OP said, memorize the operating instructions ASAP. You'll get yelled at for not knowing them---even on the first day!

-- Bring $300 in cash. You will have to pay for all of your meals, the dining out, and a host of other expenses. The only thing that is free is the laundry room, but you will need bring laundry detergent and drier sheets.

-- Purchase the book Air Force Officer's Guide. It's not on amazon.com---so you'll have to Google for the publisher. You'll need to know the ranks a few other details about being an officer so that you can decrease the amount of yelling that occurs the first few days.

-- Have a proper hair cut. Men, shave your hair to 1/4 of an inch. Otherwise, you'll be sent to the barber shop and be out of another $8.

-- You do not need a military ID. Your orders will work just fine---just make sure to have them with you every where you go.

-- Do not sign up to be the standardization officer. It is the worst position that you can have in your flight. Take photo, athletic, or academic officer instead.

-- Study. Seriously, study. I know that the last thing you want to do is stay up past midnight every night learning about conflict resolution, management theory, and the history of the Air Force, but the competition is fairly competitive. If you want to make distinguished graduate, you'll need to do well on the tests. Also, read ahead---especially on weekend mornings. Class will go by much quicker if you know the material before hand.

-- You have to mix water with the shoe polish to shine your boots. I spent 3 weeks rubbing dry polish into my boots and subsequently got yelled at during every uniform inspection for having dull shoes. It wasn't until the last week that my flight commander told me that I was supposed to use water.

-- Have a good attitude about everything, even when they're yelling at you. Some people hated certain aspects of COT (such as marching everywhere) and were miserable the entire month.

-- Make your flight commander love you and everything will go over much easier. Also, do exactly as you're told---no more, no less---and you'll be fine.

Feel free to post any questions to this board as I will check it regularly. As an aside, I was the vice president of the dining out and a distinguished graduate, meaning that I was pretty involved with everything that happened. I enjoyed COT a lot and still occasionally talk to my flight mates.

deuist said:
-- You have to mix water with the shoe polish to shine your boots. I spent 3 weeks rubbing dry polish into my boots and subsequently got yelled at during every uniform inspection for having dull shoes. It wasn't until the last week that my flight commander told me that I was supposed to use water.

When I did ROTC, I found cotton balls to be better than regular cloth when you shine your shoes. Also, nylons work well for any last minute/emergency cleaning you might need.

You can always find a ROTC detachment somewhere, or you can have your recruiter practice reporting procedures and/or marching with you.

cdreed said:
Go to a nearby AF base. Proceed to Military Clothing. Let one of the clerks know that you're newly commissioned and that you need to be directed about which uniform components to buy. Of course, you will need to obtain your military ID before you'll be allowed to buy uniforms. Use your commissioning paperwork at the MPF (military personnel flight) to get your ID.

The only papers that I recieved after my commissioning was a copy of the oath of office. Will this be sufficient for obtaining my ID? Thanks

cdreed said:

Will the oath of office paperwork be sufficient for obtaining my ID? This is the only paperwork that was given to me after my commissioning? Or do I need to get in contact with my recruiter and beg for some more papers? Because the less I talk to my recruiter the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just wanted to say thank you for writing this thread- this is excellent advice. I might be going to COT this summer so this will definitely be helpful! :D

joebucks said:
Will the oath of office paperwork be sufficient for obtaining my ID? This is the only paperwork that was given to me after my commissioning? Or do I need to get in contact with my recruiter and beg for some more papers? Because the less I talk to my recruiter the better.
If I remember correctly, I believe that your Oath of Office will suffice. To be on the safe side, you can google bases nearby, call the base directory to be connected to the MPF. They'll tell you exactly what you need.

Good luck!

Icarus22 said:
Hey, just wanted to say thank you for writing this thread- this is excellent advice. I might be going to COT this summer so this will definitely be helpful! :D

Just for comparison's sake: I attended the precursor of COT in 1992. Back then it was known as MIMSO: Military Indoctrination for Medical Service Officers.

It was 3 weeks of pure country club. Totally laid-back, no yelling, no mandatory PT, completely laissez-faire. We stayed in the Visiting Officer's Quarters, single occupancy hotel-quality rooms with maid service, etc. Eight hours of sleep each night, with frequent forays into downtown San Antonio. It was on the grounds of the Medina Annex of Lackland AFB, TX.

Throughout the 1990s, as I served in the USAFR, I heard continuous stories of active duty commanding officers complaining about the medical folks, how they were so slovenly, disrespectful, ignorant of basic USAF customs, heritage, and traditions, and completely lacking in "military" mindset. In the late 1990s the USAF decided to tighten the screws, to make the course more "in your face" with the hope it would be a more meaningful and memorable educational experience. At this point they changed MIMSO into COT, and moved it to Maxwell so it would be a parallel course to Officer Training School (pre-commissioning course for line officers who didn't do ROTC or the USAF Academy).

Y'all have fun now.

One word of advice is to wash your BDUs and all of the patches that will be sewn on prior to having them sewn on. This pre-shrinks them to prevent puckering that occurs if you let the shrinking occur after they are sewn on.

I was wondering if anyone knew when air force and navy training is. I have heard that army obc is normally in mid June.

Anyone know what the deadline is for reporting on the Sunday before OIS (Initial Report Date/Time) and how early we can book a flight out on graduation day? Unfortunately I won't be able to stay on to enjoy Newport. Does anyone have family or friends attend graduation? NROWS is not exactly intuitive. Anyone know what we enter for items like ITEMPO category/purpose, messing options and per diem? Thanks!

I just got my orders for OIS yesterday. They say to report no later than 0700 on Sunday, does this seem off to anyone? I was under the impression that we did not have to report until afternoon/evening, say around nlt 2200.

At any rate, if there are any of you out there who have already been to OIS, what do you recommend I do with uniforms that I have but need hemming? I suspect it will save me some grief if I have them tailored and dry cleaned before reporting.

Also, has anyone else heard about 8mm sidearm training for this year's classes?

Any other general advice for OIS is welcome, too.

I'm headed to Newport this June for OIS and am wondering what sort of stuff I should bring. I'm not exactly sure what to expect and certainly don't want to show up with 2 trunks full of crap that I can't/won't use. Clearly snacks and meds are out but what about: Books? Frisbee? Football? iPod? Laptop? DVDs? Street clothes? etc.?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

IronChefBratwst said:
I'm headed to Newport this June for OIS and am wondering what sort of stuff I should bring. I'm not exactly sure what to expect and certainly don't want to show up with 2 trunks full of crap that I can't/won't use. Clearly snacks and meds are out but what about: Books? Frisbee? Football? iPod? Laptop? DVDs? Street clothes? etc.?
Any info is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Here's the official "bring this stuff" list, https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/index.cfm/fa/dir.missn/index.cfm#oischool but in talking to some people who went last summer from my school, they said they didn't need everything on the list, but honestly I can't remember what. I'll ask them again, otherwise just follow the list. I think that's what our group this year is going to do.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks a bunch.[/QUOTE]

About 2 pairs of civilian clothes is appropriate. We only got to go out to Newport in them one evening. Then a change for the flight home. No snacks. iPod is fine. Laptops are useful. BRING DVD's! No ball sports were allowed last year because of problems with injuries they had in the past, but some people passed the ball around rather than playing football. Frisbees are probably fine. Ultimate was frowned upon.

Cleaning wipes/swiffers are very useful.

You don't have a whole lot of space.

You can bring meds if you have a prescription.

The OIS website has checkin/out info, but I recall arriving in the afternoon on Sunday, and that graduation was over before noon on Friday.

Good luck shipmate.

Piers said:
Anyone know what the deadline is for reporting on the Sunday before OIS (Initial Report Date/Time) and how early we can book a flight out on graduation day? Unfortunately I won't be able to stay on to enjoy Newport. Does anyone have family or friends attend graduation? NROWS is not exactly intuitive. Anyone know what we enter for items like ITEMPO category/purpose, messing options and per diem? Thanks!

NROWS has a contact person for your orders. Email or call them with questions. The HPSP handbook at http://nshs.med.navy.mil/hpsp/Pages/HPSPHome.htm
has instructions for filling in the form as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be attending COT this June. What is the IAAP training?

I don't remember ever actually doing IAAP training (it's security training for DOD computers). I might have completed it and just don't recall what happened. During my COT session, the computer system had major problems and people were unable to log into their accounts (including me). I went the whole month without a working password. Luckily, my roommate shared his.

Thanks for the information, very useful and pertinent as I will be attending COT in June. It seems one only needs the oath of office to purchase uniforms. MPF was closed at McGuire and I was able to buy boots and some required supplies without a military ID card (showing my commissioning documents). FYI, summer BDU's and common sizes for dress blues may not be available as was the case for me.

Does anyone know of recognized sources to order name tapes, name plates, and badges etc?

I'm only aware of AAFES. You might have to make two trips a base: one to order everything, including the tailoring of your clothes, and a second time to pick everything up. You can wait until COT to purchase your uniforms. The store at Maxwell is good about getting everyone fitted.

deuist said:
I don't remember ever actually doing IAAP training (it's security training for DOD computers). I might have completed it and just don't recall what happened. During my COT session, the computer system had major problems and people were unable to log into their accounts (including me). I went the whole month without a working password. Luckily, my roommate shared his.

Haha... I served as the flight computer officer back in 2004 when i went to COT, and the computer system was a total mess. By the time tech support gets around to resetting your password, its TD 23 and time to go home. Bring a laptop if you have one it will make life alot easier.

kingcer0x said:
Bring a laptop if you have one it will make life alot easier.

I second the laptop idea. At least bring a key drive if you have one. I knew one student who showed up with a laptop and a printer/scanner/copier all-in-one. He never had to leave his room to do assignments.

Does anybody know where to get a copy of the Operating Instructions for COT?

I have looked on that site before, and have not been able to find the Operating Instructions. Have you found it on that site?

DubskyDDS said:
I have looked on that site before, and have not been able to find the Operating Instructions. Have you found it on that site?

I would call down there and find out what exactly is included in "Operating Instructions". Once you find that out they could either tell you where to find it on their site, or you could do a Google search and find it elsewhere on the internet. Usually these things are under Air Force Operating Instructions "AFI"s.

sorry cant help more.

The response from AFIT was that all required information is available on the mentioned website and typically the OI's on the web are outdated. Also, COT students are not required to complete IAAP training (per AFIT). Just thought I'd pass it along.

I just went through COT in January and they are currently "reworking" the OIs. The OI's we received were mixed in with those from BOT and were difficult to interpret. They had been posted on the OTS website before it underwent the recent makeover. I (and the majority of my classmates) did not read the OI's before COT, and they wouldn't make much sense even if you could. You have a 20 question exam on the OIs the second week you are there. You only need an 80% to pass and it was pretty simple. My advice is to not think about them until you get there.

I tried looking at the OI's before going to COT last year. Like chaDoc said, they made no sense. They were written as a legal outline, only the language was less interpretable than federal laws. The good news is that doing well on the exams is easy: Stay on top of the readings and do the SOB's (You'll find out what an SOB is when you get there).

deuist said:
Well that was an hour wasted.
This is debatable I believe...
Last summer it was a requirement to do the training. It is currently listed as a requirement on the COT website. If you have access to it and have the time, it can't hurt to take care of it.

The link takes you to a website www.skillsoft.com which appears to be a publicly traded company. Very strange unless I'm missing something.

Has anyone had problems logging into the NROWS application in order to complete the OIS application? I keep on receiving a message saying that my account is locked. What does this mean?

TAbrown said:
Has anyone had problems logging into the NROWS application in order to complete the OIS application? I keep on receiving a message saying that my account is locked. What does this mean?

Kind of an obvious suggestion, but you never know if you overlook something simple...
The NROWS website switched over to the NRWS site. You have to log into NRWS first, then go to the NROWS site from there and log in again. Pain in the butt, but its not my job to qonder about it...

Hey guys:
Does anyone have info on their experience with OBC with the army. You know the daily grind and local area info. Is it really only 15 days or so? Thanks

cmeshy said:
Hey guys:
Does anyone have info on their experience with OBC with the army. You know the daily grind and local area info. Is it really only 15 days or so? Thanks

Daily grind aint bad, you will have class most days in the morning to mid afternoon, PT maybe once a week, with a one week FTX. You will be able to go out most nights if you want and most of your weekends are free. Local area is cool, there is a Dave and Busters/Movie theater nearby with the Riverwalk being a short cab ride away downtown. Go tubin on the Gruene/Guadalupe, get your free tix to Seaworld, and Austin is close. Make friends with people who drove, you will not regret it. Length is not 15 days, 5.5 weeks. It was a good time, you will get to meet all the people that you will be seeing on your military rotations and who will be your fellow interns/residents. Also a good place get the dirt on rotations sites and get a feel for BAMC if you are willing to shadow in a specialty you are interested in.

I'm a 3rd year about to be 4th year and joined the Navy after my 1st year - when would be the best time to complete OIS. I can't really complete it this summer b/c I have audition rotations planned but I would like to complete it sometime before I begin my internship. Is it even possible to do OIS before the summer months. The website alludes to programs in which winter gear is required. Does anyone hav any clue?

Just a random question I couldnt answer when my friend asked.

Do HPSPers get trained in any firearms? I know we wont be trained to used M-16s....I couldnt find any info on the COT website.

pgg said:
At some point, very early on, they might play some games with a Marine NCO or SNCO yelling at you, but the only reason this works is because none of the O-1 and O-3 med students and dentists know that Staff Sergeants don't yell at officers. This isn't OCS; you're not an "officer candidate" ... you're already a commissioned officer. Your future is not in question. You're there to check a box. Don't let any of the stupid games they may or may not play with you rattle you.

Did anyone call out the Staff Sergeants for yelling at officers?

Does anyone know how long it take NMETC to give you your login so you can sign up for OIS once they receive your commissioning documents? Or does anyone have any contact info for them so I can find out?