OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advise. I'll have to find somewhere close to kansas city if i hear good news from USUHS.

What branch are you? Because if you're Navy, you do not need to get uniforms ahead of time, you'll be fine getting them at ODS.

Members don't see this ad.

What branch are you?

I don't know yet. I just had my interview at USUHS on Oct. 29th. I just got excited, did some quick google searching, and found some uniform stores on-line. My first choice is Navy though, so thanks for the heads up.

I've heard you can do the Army OBC before MS1 but my recruiter is telling me the first chance you get is between MS1 and MS2. Has anyone taken OBC before they started school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know yet. I just had my interview at USUHS on Oct. 29th. I just got excited, did some quick google searching, and found some uniform stores on-line. My first choice is Navy though, so thanks for the heads up.

If you do go AF, you can definitely get them at COT. I don't think there's any need, in any case, to get them ahead of time. It might make things easier if you do, but I got mine at COT along with the majority of folks there.

If you do wait until COT, just make sure you report early so that you can be one of the first at AAFES.

I've heard you can do the Army OBC before MS1 but my recruiter is telling me the first chance you get is between MS1 and MS2. Has anyone taken OBC before they started school?

I don't know about OBLC specifically, but for Navy I do know you can do ODS before MS1. The thing about that is that the spots fill quickly so you'd need to be accepted and have all the HPSP paperwork in early!

If your recruiter can get all of the commissioning paperwork taken care of quickly enough, then yes, you can go before you start medical school. Several people in my OBLC class did it this way. Otherwise, your next bet is between MS1 and MS2 years.

If your recruiter can get all of the commissioning paperwork taken care of quickly enough, then yes, you can go before you start medical school. Several people in my OBLC class did it this way. Otherwise, your next bet is between MS1 and MS2 years.

Thanks for the info. I'd rather do it as early as possible.

Hi all,

I'm currently active duty Army, Medical Service Corps. Went through AMEDD OBC in 2004.

I'm transferring to AF BSC and have requested to go to COT, although not required by their AFI. I need a good "intro to the Air Force" course. For example, I have no clue what a squadron is ...

My question is: has anyone done both courses?
Just want to see how they compare ...

I know the AF course is 23 days long, compared to 16 weeks in the USA. That's about all I know so far.

Thanks for any constructive help.

I am going to BOLC 3 in July to Sept. I was told BOLC 1&2 have been terminated and that we only have to go to BOLC 3. Also my wife is coming with me. Are we allowed to sleep off site or do we have to sleep at the training center. Are we allowed to leave the training center.

medcadet

medcadet:

This is your fifth post with the same question. Cross-posting is not permitted on SDN. I left one of your threads open. If anyone wants to answer your question, they can do so there.

So, what are the incentives for doing well in this course and graduating with high grades?

Didn't do OBLC in medical school and now have to do a 2 month course following residency. Anyone do OBLC recently and can tell me what its like? Feel free to pm me. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't do OBLC in medical school and now have to do a 2 month course following residency. Anyone do OBLC recently and can tell me what its like? Feel free to pm me. Thanks.
As others have said, it's like summer camp plus weapons. And don't worry, there will most likely be plenty of other O3 and O4 direct commissionees in your class, who are just as terrible at putting on a uniform and saluting as all the O1s. I hope you like powerpoint.

What!?!? Are you forgetting about that highly sought after Army Commendation ribbon given to the top graduate??? That's like a ticket to your first choice residency.

I thought it was an Army Achievement Medal. Even that seems excessive, but a Commendation medal for doing well at initial entry training is just ridiculous.

I thought it was an Army Achievement Medal. Even that seems excessive, but a Commendation medal for doing well at initial entry training is just ridiculous.

Ya I'm pretty sure there's no medal for initial training, there wasn't any in boot camp when I went through on the enlisted side. There are Achievement Medals that your unit gives you for finishing top 10% (on the "commandant's list"), but those include schools after initial training. I think I have like 3 or 4 achievement medals, all from when I was enlisted, from doing well in military schools or going to boards, etc

Ya I'm pretty sure there's no medal for initial training, there wasn't any in boot camp when I went through on the enlisted side.

No, when I was looking into the ASR program, I do distinctly remember reading that the #1 graduate of OBLC getting an Army Achievement Medal. You would never see that in enlisted basic training. The significance of this and many other decorations in the Army and Air Force has been really diminished in recent history, to the point that you get a "gimme medal" just for doing your job.

No, when I was looking into the ASR program, I do distinctly remember reading that the #1 graduate of OBLC getting an Army Achievement Medal. You would never see that in enlisted basic training.

Hmm interesting..well I guess we'll found out soon!

No, when I was looking into the ASR program, I do distinctly remember reading that the #1 graduate of OBLC getting an Army Achievement Medal. You would never see that in enlisted basic training. The significance of this and many other decorations in the Army and Air Force has been really diminished in recent history, to the point that you get a "gimme medal" just for doing your job.
They also give it out in Army Basic for enlisted folks. Just the top graduate. I have a friend who got it the summer before last.

Hey y'all just accepted AF HPSP -- wondering about COT dates. Do you know if we'll have a choice between the May 24th-June 25th-ish and the June 28 - July 30 one? I'm trying not to quit my job until the first week of June (my work doesn't know I'm leaving and work is going to get crazy in May...I don't want to leave them high and dry)...

Thanks!

I would ask your recruiter . Mine gave me the impression I would go in June, I prefer a later date becase if I stay at my job till June 13 I get two weeks vacation for the year. Im still hoping for a AF spot at USUHS too and I woud think the longer I hold off on commissioning and COT, the longer I can still accept a spot if the offer comes.

Hey y'all just accepted AF HPSP -- wondering about COT dates. Do you know if we'll have a choice between the May 24th-June 25th-ish and the June 28 - July 30 one? I'm trying not to quit my job until the first week of June (my work doesn't know I'm leaving and work is going to get crazy in May...I don't want to leave them high and dry)...

Thanks!

I told my recruiter to place me in the earliest date (May 25 - Jun 25), which I just got placed into yesterday. The extra month before classes start for me in August was pretty appealing.

Thanks!

For COT dates see the pdf in the Link "FY10 Class Dates" here: http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/Classdates.asp
I think they try and fit you in wherever the class fits, but maybe your recruiter can work on that.

Last edited:
A few questions regarding COT:

1. Boots-the uniform list says we need sage green boots, but the tan ones are also acceptable with the ABUs by AF guidances. Can I get away with the tan boots for COT or do I need to get a pair of the Sage ones?

2. Weekend travel - it says we must stay within 120 miles. Is this driven miles or direct line? I live down by Eglin AFB, about 150 miles driven, and would love to be able to come see my wife and son on weekends off.
Also, it says we have to stay on base overnight, how early in the morning could I leave the base on a weekend to go see my family and how late could I get back at night?
Thanks

Last edited:
While I am at it...I already have most of my uniform stuff I need for COT, my brother is about to separate and we are the same size, do I need to get any specialty badges for my blues? What about ABUs, do I just need my rank, name and AF tape.
And is mess dress really used at COT?

I read on the COT website that Mess isn't required for 10-02. Not sure if that's going to stay the same for 04 and 05.

I'm wondering how "in shape" I am for COT -- gave myself a practice PFT last weekend before I went on a long run and scored an 88.5 (1.5 miles in 12ish, 43 pushups, 55 situps, and a 31.5 waist), so I'm not terribly worried about the PFT. What concerns me more is the O-course, WELPS, Project X, AEC, etc. How physically taxing is the non-PT athletic stuff? Me doing pull-ups is downright laughable :(

I read on the COT website that Mess isn't required for 10-02. Not sure if that's going to stay the same for 04 and 05.

I'm wondering how "in shape" I am for COT -- gave myself a practice PFT last weekend before I went on a long run and scored an 88.5 (1.5 miles in 12ish, 43 pushups, 55 situps, and a 31.5 waist), so I'm not terribly worried about the PFT. What concerns me more is the O-course, WELPS, Project X, AEC, etc. How physically taxing is the non-PT athletic stuff? Me doing pull-ups is downright laughable :(

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The assault course is the hardest thing and all you have to do is attempt the obstacles. If you try and can't make it, you just move on to the next.

While I am at it...I already have most of my uniform stuff I need for COT, my brother is about to separate and we are the same size, do I need to get any specialty badges for my blues? What about ABUs, do I just need my rank, name and AF tape.
And is mess dress really used at COT?

We didn't wear mess dress for my class a couple years ago. I did the largest session in July. I think it was too hard for them to handle that many people getting tailoring and pieces and such at the same time at the AAFES.

A few questions regarding COT:

1. Boots-the uniform list says we need sage green boots, but the tan ones are also acceptable with the ABUs by AF guidances. Can I get away with the tan boots for COT or do I need to get a pair of the Sage ones?

2. Weekend travel - it says we must stay within 120 miles. Is this driven miles or direct line? I live down by Eglin AFB, about 150 miles driven, and would love to be able to come see my wife and son on weekends off.
Also, it says we have to stay on base overnight, how early in the morning could I leave the base on a weekend to go see my family and how late could I get back at night?
Thanks

Don't know about the tan boots. Everyone had sage at my COT.

As far as weekend travel, when we had off-base privileges in last week, we still had to return to sign in every night by eleven or midnight. I had a friend try to get permission to go back to Eglin to see her husband, but she got denied.

I had a question regarding COT and the contract. I wanted to go for a 4 year contract so that I could get the $30K accession bonus. The recruiter wrote down 36 months on the contract and said that it would be changed when I was down at COT.
Am I getting screwed here or is that something valid?

I had a question regarding COT and the contract. I wanted to go for a 4 year contract so that I could get the $30K accession bonus. The recruiter wrote down 36 months on the contract and said that it would be changed when I was down at COT.
Am I getting screwed here or is that something valid?

Well its only a 20k CSAB, and COT has nothing to do with the contract you sign for HPSP, it is just training you have to go to. The contract that the recruiter has you sign when you take your oath is the one youre stuck with. If you signed paperwork for the CSAB, you will get the bonus, if not I would be asking the recruiter what happened.

If youre a first year student I dont think you can sign a 4 year contract and if you still havent started school then I dont think you can only sign a 3 year contract.

Well its only a 20k CSAB, and COT has nothing to do with the contract you sign for HPSP, it is just training you have to go to. The contract that the recruiter has you sign when you take your oath is the one youre stuck with. If you signed paperwork for the CSAB, you will get the bonus, if not I would be asking the recruiter what happened.

If youre a first year student I dont think you can sign a 4 year contract and if you still havent started school then I dont think you can only sign a 3 year contract.

I agree. Get all this straightened out before you sign anything. COT has nothing to do with your contract.

I agree. Get all this straightened out before you sign anything. COT has nothing to do with your contract.

I am applying as a fully qualified Pharmacist (I graduate this may), and even though I have signed something I have not taken any oaths yet since they (AF) have not approved me as of yet.

I am applying as a fully qualified Pharmacist (I graduate this may), and even though I have signed something I have not taken any oaths yet since they (AF) have not approved me as of yet.

Im sorry, I was assuming you were speaking of the HPSP scholarship.
It sounds like you have yet to sign the contract yet then. Just check with the recruiter. Again, the CSAB has separate paperwork involved, if your recruiter sits you down to sign things and it is not there then dont sign until it is.

Im sorry, I was assuming you were speaking of the HPSP scholarship.
It sounds like you have yet to sign the contract yet then. Just check with the recruiter. Again, the CSAB has separate paperwork involved, if your recruiter sits you down to sign things and it is not there then dont sign until it is.

Thanks.

This is probably answered all over this thread, but I didn't want to read 8 straight pages. Do we receive an initial clothing allowance during our time at OBC/COT/ODS?

I know we have to show up with a bunch of money so we can purchase uniforms day 1, but I'm wondering if we'll get any sort of pay-back later on.

This is probably answered all over this thread, but I didn't want to read 8 straight pages. Do we receive an initial clothing allowance during our time at OBC/COT/ODS?

I know we have to show up with a bunch of money so we can purchase uniforms day 1, but I'm wondering if we'll get any sort of pay-back later on.

From what I have heard, you will have to spend your own money up front, and the allowance comes in after training and after you report to your first base and start getting a paycheck.

Unless I missed something the allowance is only like $400 and uniforms cost around $2000. So it definitely doesn't cover the cost.

Unless I missed something the allowance is only like $400 and uniforms cost around $2000. So it definitely doesn't cover the cost.

Haha, sweet deal.:thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone have a link to the number of uniforms we're supposed to buy (COT)? I'm most interested in the Service Dress and ABU numbers, since they probably make us have several.

Haha, sweet deal.:thumbup:

Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone have a link to the number of uniforms we're supposed to buy (COT)? I'm most interested in the Service Dress and ABU numbers, since they probably make us have several.

If you're not buying mess dress, the total will be drastically less. I want to say that I paid around $1000 for everything without mess dress.

I bought 2 sets of ABUs, minimal blues, and dress jacket. I also splurged on the Corcoran Mauraders.

If you're not buying mess dress, the total will be drastically less. I want to say that I paid around $1000 for everything without mess dress.

I bought 2 sets of ABUs, minimal blues, and dress jacket. I also splurged on the Corcoran Mauraders.

I always forget the navy has ten gagallion uniforms to buy. We aren't even required to get mess dress and it is quite pricey.

Hello...I am excited I am doing OBLC this summer. Anybody else doing OBLC this summer, and purchased a new uniform already? I am going the end of this month with my recruiter, and I just wanted to know how much money should I bring?

Also for the physical fitness...I am under my BMI, but should I loose weight so that I am closer to the lower range for my height?

Hello...I am excited I am doing OBLC this summer. Anybody else doing OBLC this summer, and purchased a new uniform already? I am going the end of this month with my recruiter, and I just wanted to know how much money should I bring?

Each ACU will cost ~$90 (w/ belt, t shirt, socks, etc)
You will also need to get boots ~$80-120 (depending on how nice you want , but remember comfortable boots = happy soldiers. Also BREAK THEM IN get them wet and wear them around)
PT Uniforms ~$25
Patches ~$10
Name Tapes ~$10/tape (much cheaper online but will take some time to order)
Beret/ Patrol Cap / Sew on rank ~$25

To get the minimum (2 acu, 3 pt, and 1 pair boots) You will probably spend about $400

Also for the physical fitness...I am under my BMI, but should I loose weight so that I am closer to the lower range for my height?

For the physical fitness there is no explicit advantage to being at the low end of the weight requirements. There is a distinct advantage to being in shape. Work on your push ups, sit ups, and running. If you do this more likely your weight will go up (from muscle mass) but you will be much better off.

See you at Ft Sam this summer.

At COT, are we offered the 2,500 dollar interest free loan when we first arrive?

I read further back in this thread that such a loan is offered at OBLC to help cover the cost of uniforms and lodging. Wondering if its offered at COT. Thanks.

At COT, are we offered the 2,500 dollar interest free loan when we first arrive?

I read further back in this thread that such a loan is offered at OBLC to help cover the cost of uniforms and lodging. Wondering if its offered at COT. Thanks.

I don't think I was offered that, but you can get this military star credit card that has no interest on up to a certain amount for uniforms.

I had to get it because my credit card was turned off because they assumed the $1000 I was charging for uniforms was a fraudulent purchase on a stolen card. :rolleyes:

Last edited: