Ok so long story in 3.....2......1......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArizonaVet480

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off thanks to anyone who reads this and has any input! So nearly ten years ago when i was around 19 years old I decided i was finally going to pursue a lifelong up to that point dream of trying to reach medical school and ultimately becoming a physician little did I know all the things that would derail this dream for me. I was a new father when the time came and I was ready to start the journey. School came and my sons mother was diagnosed as BiPolar. A year later she left our lives and we have not really seen her since.I was young and new at the parent thing so a lot of times things seemed to get out of control for me. At this point school was really out of the question for me. I enrolled in classes dropped classes for two semesters. I had a high amount of W's. In order to support my son because i was now a single parent I enlisted in the military. I served my time honorably and was discharged. I got out and worked for a while took some CC courses here and there and then I met my current wife who has really pushed me to pursue this dream once again. I am currently in my sophmore year with a 3.4 GPA I would be considered a URM. My question is with my previous failure at school would this put an end to any hope of going to med school? It has been years since I first set out on this mission and not a day has went by that I have regretted not being able to achieve this dream. I am now 29 and i feel the weight of the world on my shoulders because not only was I the one in the family with a bright future with 2 parents who didn't make it out of jr high I am trying to break the cycle and show my son that your dreams can be acheived if you are willing to put in the work and make the sacrafices. Thank you again for any input.

I forgot to add i was academically disqual'd from my state school but was readmitted after attending cc

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Keep it going dude you definitely have a shot with that story. Your GPA is a little low, but you still have time to bring it up. Ace the MCAT you'll be good.

Are you still in AZ? Take a look at the pathways program at UACOM-P and the P-MAP program at UACOM-T. You'd be a good candidate for either.

I'm assuming you mean your GPA at your current undergrad is 3.4. All medical schools will want records for all of your undergraduate course work; most medical schools will actually consider all those grades, though there are exceptions. Regardless of what your exact situation is, i didn't read anything that would lead me to think you don't have a reasonable shot at med school in the future. You had a rocky start, but it was several years ago with a great explanation for why you had difficulty. You had several years of military service with an honorable discharge following. You're URM, and it sounds like you're from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background. You have a lot going in your favor. That said, a 3.4 isn't killer, but it's not terrible either, and you're only a sophomore. Don't let the stress eat at you too much, focus on doing well in school and on the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it going dude you definitely have a shot with that story. Your GPA is a little low, but you still have time to bring it up. Ace the MCAT you'll be good.

Are you still in AZ? Take a look at the pathways program at UACOM-P and the P-MAP program at UACOM-T. You'd be a good candidate for either.

Thank you order! I am in Arizona and i have heard of the program. I will definitely look more into it. Thank you again. :)

I'm assuming you mean your GPA at your current undergrad is 3.4. All medical schools will want records for all of your undergraduate course work; most medical schools will actually consider all those grades, though there are exceptions. Regardless of what your exact situation is, i didn't read anything that would lead me to think you don't have a reasonable shot at med school in the future. You had a rocky start, but it was several years ago with a great explanation for why you had difficulty. You had several years of military service with an honorable discharge following. You're URM, and it sounds like you're from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background. You have a lot going in your favor. That said, a 3.4 isn't killer, but it's not terrible either, and you're only a sophomore. Don't let the stress eat at you too much, focus on doing well in school and on the mcat

My overall GPA is a 3.4 from all schools. Back in my first attempt at school I didnt complete any classes so I didnt have a grade to be calculated into my GPA. I appreciate your response as hard as i try i can't help but have thoughts on how my past could derail this dream for me again. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it.

My overall GPA is a 3.4 from all schools. Back in my first attempt at school I didnt complete any classes so I didnt have a grade to be calculated into my GPA. I appreciate your response as hard as i try i can't help but have thoughts on how my past could derail this dream for me again. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it.

If you're standing at a 3.4 cumulative GPA, you absolutely haven't locked yourself out of med school. Given the SES(?)/URM background, I'd even say, assuming you do okay on the mcat, you're right on track

Awesome It's been a difficult process working full time, raising a child and going to school but in the end I know it will have been worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

URM, military, AND a disadvantaged background? You'll be alright man, just do well on the MCAT, get some clinical EC's, and try to raise that GPA a little. I'm no adcom but if you do all that I think schools will be lining up at your door.

Thanks for serving our country and best of luck!

Sounds like you have a decent shot. Keep it up! Apply to some DO schools if you dont rock the MCAT.

You've got excellent chances of admission if you continue forward. Just keep up the hard work and you'll have your pick of schools.

probably too early to say what your chances are, you'll need a couple more years of very good grades. it's possible.

have you have any recent exposure to the medical field? or is it just a "childhood dream?"

knowing what I know about medicine, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do it. you won't be done with med school till your mid 30s, then residency. it's torture at any age, and when you're done, you'll realize it isn't worth it... best to move on. good luck to you.