OK State c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your breaks like? Do you get a full summer? winter breaks?

Members don't see this ad.

And a week for spring break. Except 4th, year no summer after 3rd year, only one week for the holidays, either Christmas or new years, and no spring break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for answering all of my questions!! :) I'm coming to visit the school and area at the beginning of April and I'm excited! :D

Just found out I received the Delaware contract seat and my tuition will only be around 7,000 a year that sounds to good to be true! With my co tract at Georgia I would have to pay 18,000. I've already committed to Georgia and now I do t know what to do.

Just found out I received the Delaware contract seat and my tuition will only be around 7,000 a year that sounds to good to be true! With my co tract at Georgia I would have to pay 18,000. I've already committed to Georgia and now I do t know what to do.
Hot Fuzz!!!!! I would think they meant 7k per semester, but if not, that is not something I'd give up, especially since it is extremely cheap living here.

Anywho, this is what you get for not listening to TT and I to wait and see what happens with that contract seat here before committing. ;):p

In all honesty, you should contact both schools and see what you can work out that gets you the best outcome. They both seem to value you, so don't be afraid to see who is really set up to get you where you wanna go. Good luck and I of course am rooting that you come here instead! :heckyeah:

Hot Fuzz!!!!! I would think they meant 7k per semester, but if not, that is not something I'd give up, especially since it is extremely cheap living here.

Anywho, this is what you get for not listening to TT and I to wait and see what happens with that contract seat here before committing. ;):p

In all honesty, you should contact both schools and see what you can work out that gets you the best outcome. They both seem to value you, so don't be afraid to see who is really set up to get you where you wanna go. Good luck and I of course am rooting that you come here instead! :heckyeah:
I got my regular admissions first so I didn't know I got the contract seat! I am going to call both schools tomorrow and see what's what. As of now this is the info I have to go off of.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425954119.661847.jpg

Not sure what they meant as far as the monies. Robin's statement is confusing to me, but I know nothing of how contract seats work. You'll have to keep me informed of how it goes tomorrow! Happy for you that you even have to figure it out! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have another question for current students: Is there anything you DON'T like about OK State's vet school or the area? Anything you wish you did more of in your curriculum (surgeries, variety of animals, etc)?

I have another question for current students: Is there anything you DON'T like about OK State's vet school or the area? Anything you wish you did more of in your curriculum (surgeries, variety of animals, etc)?

It's an old school with no windows. That gets old during fourth year. Some other issues are more about how things are run and are dependent on faculty and administration more than the school itself.

The food in Stillwater gets old. It's a small town and you have to drive a ways to do most things.

No big complaints about the curriculum except I'd like to have done more dentals.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a huge fan of radiology, but it's what I have a test in tomorrow so that could be a factor. The first year classroom is small. We get a lot of parasitology which could be a downer for some, but it is a super important part of clinical practice. Mainly have to bring your lunch, go out and eat, or go home because dining options are minimal. If you like equine a lot of the electives are very competitive and one they just choose names from a hat which I don't think is fair. (The food animal one I'm in now they make sure it is something you want to do once you graduate and look at involvement in clubs and such... Which by the way is super cool since in the past 2 weeks I've given boluses, done a caudal epidural, a Peterson eye block, a paravertebral distal "tip" block, and placed a jugular catheter in an alive cow) Some of the small animal people complain that we don't track here, but I think that is a total positive.

Dentals are the only thing I really wish we got more hands on with. I have done sooo many extractions in practice and we only had one cadaver lab on it. I did a preceptor during dental health month so I got more hands on in that practice but more experience with a boarded dentist would have been nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email about the open house! Even though I'm only an alternate, I'm really excited to go see the school! Still praying I get called and offered a spot here! :)

It is set up that you get the overall education that will make you ready for practice. No frills. No ritz. No glamour. The dentistry that those who have graduated and are about to is certainly something I will bring up to see if we can do anything about it, especially since it is a huge part of GP. Agreed that the classrooms and building are older, and I certainly would love for it to have a facelift, however I imagine that would come with a bigger $$$. The food stuff not available on campus is supposedly being addressed, but I don't have the dough to spend on food anyway, so I imagine I will stick to my poor girl sandwiches day in and day out. I do get tired of the lack of diversity, meaning in demographics, politics and religion, but it is not unbearable or anything.

The experience is what you make of it. Opportunities are always there if you seek them out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I see a lot of talk about the large animal programs and classes. Can anyone give me some insite into how they feel about the small animal aspects?

In our major classes the curriculum is supposed to be based off the dog with species variations stated for everything else. It seems like they follow this pretty well first year. Second year the majority of core classes are small animal with large animal faculty guest lecturing for a few weeks when needed.

I see a lot of talk about the large animal programs and classes. Can anyone give me some insite into how they feel about the small animal aspects?
Oklahoma State doesn't track so you get a really well rounded education over both large and small. There is usually a lecture in each subject devoted to exotics but if you want more in depth exotics knowledge, you have to take the electives. I am in small animal GP and felt very prepared in all aspects except surgery really. As for surgery, I knew the concept about the procedures I have performed so far, I just didn't get to do them on live animals. I'm talking gastrotomy, cystotomy, stuff like that. I did them in cadaver lab, but live animals are different lol. It was (and still is to an extent) more nerves than not having the knowledge.

Oklahoma State doesn't track so you get a really well rounded education over both large and small. There is usually a lecture in each subject devoted to exotics but if you want more in depth exotics knowledge, you have to take the electives. I am in small animal GP and felt very prepared in all aspects except surgery really. As for surgery, I knew the concept about the procedures I have performed so far, I just didn't get to do them on live animals. I'm talking gastrotomy, cystotomy, stuff like that. I did them in cadaver lab, but live animals are different lol. It was (and still is to an extent) more nerves than not having the knowledge.
Just as an aside, did your externships shape you significantly and what would you have scheduled differently to cover the gaps in mandatory rotations?

ETA: This is open to any graduate or close to graduating person from any school for answering.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for answering all these questions! Another factor in my decision making is travel time. Do you guys have to do traveling during the normal day for labs or are they pretty close by? One of the reasons I denied one of the other schools was a 20 minute drive to labs every day when other schools have their labs close by. Cutting costs where I can and driving is one. But I really think I'm going to pick this school and I'm super stoked! I'm just trying to get some extra details I would've gotten from an interview day.

Thank you so much for answering all these questions! Another factor in my decision making is travel time. Do you guys have to do traveling during the normal day for labs or are they pretty close by? One of the reasons I denied one of the other schools was a 20 minute drive to labs every day when other schools have their labs close by. Cutting costs where I can and driving is one. But I really think I'm going to pick this school and I'm super stoked! I'm just trying to get some extra details I would've gotten from an interview day.
Everything classroom/lab related is in one building. Any of the wet labs for either clubs or a couple classes are in the hospital, which is just across the parking lot and we take a five min or less walk over there. There is the goat castration lab first semester that you go in groups to about 20 min, but that is it.

Lots of reasons I chose to come here. Small class size, no tracking, plenty of case variety, and cheap living are just some of them. I posted in the Factors in choosing a school thread for a slightly more complete breakdown. :cat:
Factors when picking a school
Found the post!
OKState

Pros:
- smaller class size
- excellent all around education/ no tracking but still plenty of opportunities for all interests including active ZEW club
- Lots of labs for clubs, but can be more competitive to get into for equine/FA. Like anything, will equals a way if you really want to go
- Everything is in one corner of university campus, Lecture hall right beside animals hospital. Interaction with undergrad is only if you want to go to that side of campus.
- 24 hour access to school
- All lectures (except occasional clinicians/ 1 first year teacher who may or may not retire soon) recorded
- Hands on experience starts first year first semester with basic animal science/behavior class including doing goat castrations
- Access to hospital is also always open to all students, so invites to attend rounds and shadowing is worth taking advantage of early
- Exceptional office staff takes care of you. Anna, Joyce and Robin are simply marvelous. Everyone is always willing to lend an ear or a hand. Example: I was frantically looking for my clipboard without success to take an anatomy test, and one of our office people, (Judy to be specific) grabbed one of hers and gave it to me without hesitation.
- Access to the Colvin Center is free for students with tons of free classes and events for health and fitness as well as some cheap ones for the more adventurous as well as IM sports
- Research opportunities are available for those interested. NIH/Merial summer research program is a good way just to explore what it is like for those who never had any experience with it. It is a paid summer job and is open to anyone to try it out for three months. I am currently a dual candidate for DVM/PhD, which is available after second year should anyone feel like it is a career path. (feel free to direct specific Q's to me if you want more info)
- If you like parasitology, we have an excellent program with one of the premier professors in Dr. Little
- Good FA and equine opportunities
- Cheap living
- Small city (con for people looking for citified excitement, although ~1 hr to either OKC or Tulsa for some relief)

Cons:
- Older classroom for 1st year. Uncomfy seats and a little too cozy for my liking
- No food options on vet side of campus. You have to bring food or venture a ways off
- rough transition from what I've heard getting third year and fourth year rotations and information set up (other's can chime in here for clarification)
- Not that much diversity in culture if that is something you value. We have clubs supporting this, but it is mostly OK and surrounding state demographics here. (This also includes food options. Ethnic food stuffs is better sought out in OKC)
- We had a high failure rate for first years, but this is being addressedthrough hiring students as tutors as soon as trouble is spotted and wasfairly successful this past semester.
- I'm sure TT can fill more in here. I don't do enough outside my own niche to have much more to add, and I haven't completed the number of years she has. :prof:
Just want to add that they are adding vending options that have sandwiches and such as well as hopefully getting some tasty food trucks to stop by at lunch times.

This may have been asked before, but does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to gain residency in order to pay in state tuition?

Before application, you live here and work full time for a year.

After application/acceptance, you marry an OK resident.
Okay, so basically there is no way to gain residency if you come in as a non-resident?

Not unless you find out your true love is an Okie. :)
Well that kinda stinks because I plan on possibly living in Oklahoma permanently after vet school since I have other family down there. :/ shucks.

Well that kinda stinks because I plan on possibly living in Oklahoma permanently after vet school since I have other family down there. :/ shucks.

You'd have to gain residency before you applied. It's not a terrible idea - the year you spend may be worth the IS tuition if everything works out.

Don't live in Forty North. They are trying to seem fancy and are now called Stonegate Estates or something... still a trashy place.

There's not a place in town that completely excludes undergrads - we just have too many of them. Avoiding some of the places right next to main campus may help.

If you really want proximity to vetties, there is a neighborhood right behind the vet school. You could rent a house there, +/- roommates.

Do you know what the neighborhood is called or a street name? I am trying to look it up

Do you know what the neighborhood is called or a street name? I am trying to look it up

Go to google maps and search "stillwater ok w admiral ave" and it will come up. Anything on Admiral, Sherwood, Arrowhead, Sunsest, University would be very close. There are usually quite a few places on Admiral and Sherwood that are rented out to vetties every year.

You'd have to gain residency before you applied. It's not a terrible idea - the year you spend may be worth the IS tuition if everything works out.
So you can't try to get IS tuition after living their for over a year and becoming a OK resident? I really don't want to wait another year to be in vet school, especially when I have other offers right now, but I would really like to go to OK State... most schools let you at least try to apply for IS tuition is what I thought? :/

So you can't try to get IS tuition after living their for over a year and becoming a OK resident? I really don't want to wait another year to be in vet school, especially when I have other offers right now, but I would really like to go to OK State... most schools let you at least try to apply for IS tuition is what I thought? :/
If you live in OK for a year for non-educational reasons, then you'll gain residency. Some schools allow you to change residency after your first year. Examples are Mizzou, Ohio State, NCSU (?) and Washington(?).

Most schools do not. You may always change residency before application (or maybe when you would start attending, for some places) but for like 905% of schools, you remain out of state if that's how you start. Marriage is generally the only way out of that, AFAIK. And I'm not even absolutely sure that works in all cases - just here.

If you have offers to other schools, why not take them?

Most schools do not. You may always change residency before application (or maybe when you would start attending, for some places) but for like 905% of schools, you remain out of state if that's how you start. Marriage is generally the only way out of that, AFAIK. And I'm not even absolutely sure that works in all cases - just here.

If you have offers to other schools, why not take them?
Oh okay. I guess I will just have to accept that then. And the other school is more expensive. And I also have family near OK that I would like to be closer to. I think that either way I would choose OK State I just was hoping to hear that it is possible to gain residency to lower my debt load since I already have about 50k from undergrad. :/ sorry if it seems like I'm whining, I'm just trying to make sense of all my options and choose what's best for me. :)

Oh okay. I guess I will just have to accept that then. And the other school is more expensive. And I also have family near OK that I would like to be closer to. I think that either way I would choose OK State I just was hoping to hear that it is possible to gain residency to lower my debt load since I already have about 50k from undergrad. :/ sorry if it seems like I'm whining, I'm just trying to make sense of all my options and choose what's best for me. :)

No problem. It stinks, but that's how it is.

Do any of the current OSU students know (ballpark) how many OOS applicants clear the waitlist? Single digits, double digits? Of course it varies year to year, but any general information based on past history would be greatly appreciated. Trying not to lose my mind with waiting and I guess trying to cling to any potential hope that may exist. Thx in advance for any information you could share!

Can any oklahoma resident comment on the insects and reptiles problem (or not a problem)? Lol. Being from the north it's not something I really have to deal with since almost all of our insects and reptiles are harmless. Thanks! :)

Can any oklahoma resident comment on the insects and reptiles problem (or not a problem)? Lol. Being from the north it's not something I really have to deal with since almost all of our insects and reptiles are harmless. Thanks! :)

Four years, I never ran into a venomous snake and I spent a LOT of time hiking/camping all around the state. They are definitely out there but apparently they are more scared of me than I am of them. Did have a dog-scorpion encounter once but luckily no harm done. Definitely have a good leave it and recall if you have dogs! Would also run into some frogs/toads that made the dog regret her decision to lick them.

The mother sized version of all bugs will invade your house at least a few times a year, so keep a variety of bug killers around. I had more problems with wasps than anything else. The creepy crawlies got incredibly big down there. Some of them definitely freaked out this New England girl. Oh and look out for armadillos. Freaky creatures. My dog was obsessed with finding them.

I am so glad I'm back on the east coast. Worst I've dealt with so far is stink bugs.

Four years, I never ran into a venomous snake and I spent a LOT of time hiking/camping all around the state. They are definitely out there but apparently they are more scared of me than I am of them. Did have a dog-scorpion encounter once but luckily no harm done. Definitely have a good leave it and recall if you have dogs! Would also run into some frogs/toads that made the dog regret her decision to lick them.

The mother sized version of all bugs will invade your house at least a few times a year, so keep a variety of bug killers around. I had more problems with wasps than anything else. The creepy crawlies got incredibly big down there. Some of them definitely freaked out this New England girl. Oh and look out for armadillos. Freaky creatures. My dog was obsessed with finding them.

I am so glad I'm back on the east coast. Worst I've dealt with so far is stink bugs.
Omg that sounds horrid! Lol. I'm so worried about them being in the house... I freak out if a spider or lady bug gets in my house right now. Lol. I don't know if I will ever sleep at night. :p but it's nice to hear about the snake thing!

My house has remained bug free for my entire time here. Not a single recluse. But the house I grew up in (also in OK) had a lot of them, so maybe it depends on the house. Not many scorpions in Stillwater specifically. Snakes could be an issue in barns or out in leafy or rocky areas, but not likely in a yard in town.

And armadillos are just stupid little things. Strange, but harmless. Unless you like, lick one and then get leprosy or something.

Lol you are such a typical Yankee. :p

Don't worry, Cowgirla is exaggerating on both size and number of bugs. If you want real big bugs, head down to the swamps in places like Louisiana or Florida.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current OOS students on here who could tell me how they're paying for school? Like how much is payed by loans and how much by scholarships and stuff? I got accepted in state at Missouri, but I took a tour there and hated it. I really enjoyed my visit to Oklahoma State and I would like to go here but I'm trying to figure out if I could even afford it and if it would be worth the extra money. I don't want to be paying off student loans forever. I would really appreciate the help!

Are there any current OOS students on here who could tell me how they're paying for school? Like how much is payed by loans and how much by scholarships and stuff? I got accepted in state at Missouri, but I took a tour there and hated it. I really enjoyed my visit to Oklahoma State and I would like to go here but I'm trying to figure out if I could even afford it and if it would be worth the extra money. I don't want to be paying off student loans forever. I would really appreciate the help!

Sorry, I'm not an OOS student, but if I were in your position I would go with your in-state. I've heard really great things about Mizzou so I'm surprised you didn't like it. Was it the curriculum? the people? the location?

You're essentially going to get the same education at any institution, perhaps with more emphasis on some things if you track. I don't particularly like my IS's curriculum, but if I got accepted there I'd go just for monetary reasons.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore them :p

I put my acceptance response and deposit in the mail today! :)

I'm not out of state, but people make it. I think most are able to take enough loan money out, especially with a minimalist lifestyle and how cheap everything is here; however, if your in state is significantly cheaper that might be your better option, unless you would be completely miserable there.

I'm from the north too, NY! Where are you coming from? I was wondering the same thing about bugs, glad Im not the only one worried

When do people typically get their housing situations figured out? I feel like im waiting for the packet from OSU in June but that seems so long to wait. Also any suggestions on how to find potential roomates? I want to be in an apartment with other DVM students.

I'm from the north too, NY! Where are you coming from? I was wondering the same thing about bugs, glad Im not the only one worried
I'm from WI :) it is definitely going to be different! I am not used to scary bugs at all lol. Glad you are worried, too! :p

When do people typically get their housing situations figured out? I feel like im waiting for the packet from OSU in June but that seems so long to wait. Also any suggestions on how to find potential roomates? I want to be in an apartment with other DVM students.
The Facebook page will have students post a lot, especially once school gets out for the summer. Not a ton of people get an apartment, usually houses near campus. You can join the upper class's Facebook pages too for housing