Okay to apply to multiple specialties in SAME hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonnaBeAnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The DME is the same person for all the programs, so will my personal statement not make sense when it says "I always wanted to do FP" to the FP program, "I always wanted to do IM" to the IM program and something else for a transitional year spot? Do the different program directors know that I've applied to different programs at this hospital? Does the DME see? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The DME is the same person for all the programs, so will my personal statement not make sense when it says "I always wanted to do FP" to the FP program, "I always wanted to do IM" to the IM program and something else for a transitional year spot? Do the different program directors know that I've applied to different programs at this hospital? Does the DME see? Thank you!

As you are thinking, it's going to come off as hollow if you tell two specialties at the same place that you always wanted to do XYZ to both. One of the fields is going to assume they are the backup. You might be better off not applying to the same programs in both fields, or else at least temper your PS to not be an outright lie like the above, maybe saying how much you want to do primary care rather than the specific specialty.

I accidentally applied to a prelim position at the same hospital as a categorical position (a dumb mistake and I thought I had checked for categorical/advanced but I guess I goofed). I didn't think there was anything bad about this because if I don't get into the categorical program, that doesn't mean I should give up on having a prelim program at the same place (paired with a different local advanced program).

Then I had a fellow med student say i should probably withdraw because i'll come across somewhat dumb for not paying attention to detail. I was a little taken aback by this and I don't think this person was trying to gun me but makes one wonder.

At the end of the day, I don't plan on withdrawing the prelim position - I've heard too many nightmare stories of people securing advanced spots and becoming complacent on prelims only to have to scramble for them later.