Okay to use abbreviations in secondary application? -Poll included!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okay to use abbreviations in secondary application?

• Yes

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

MudpuppyLake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is okay to use abbreviations, such as the school's name, Dept. instead of Department, etc in the secondary application essays since there is a strict character limit.

Can anyone with experience on this (having used abbreviations and had no problems with interviews, etc) speak about this?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if it is okay to use abbreviations, such as the school's name, Dept. instead of Department, etc in the secondary application essays since there is a strict character limit.

Can anyone with experience on this (having used abbreviations and had no problems with interviews, etc) speak about this?

Thanks!!!
For words like department, no I wouldn't. If you can't fit the full word, department, into your secondary, then it's too long anyway. However, if you are talking about a disease process that you studied, such as Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD), then it's fine. Just make sure you use the full term first, then list the abbreviation in quotes, as I just demonstrated.

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Please tell me you are not still finishing your secondaries!!

Reactions: 3 users
I always use the abbreviation for school's name in short essays such as Penn/UMMS/WashU. So far all off them are fine with it and gave me II. But I did not and would not use abbreviation for common words such as dept. or use abbreviation when the character limitations aren't a issue.