Oklahoma State c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockatiel

Woke chihuahua
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there must be some out there!

Members don't see this ad.

It will be quiet for a while on your thread but don't worry, it will pick up. The nice thing about OK State is you will find current students and even some who are out in practice who will chime in on and post here. I start in the Fall but feel free to message me about the application process if I can be of any help. Best of luck to you!!

Going to be a third year if you have any questions. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh lawdy. I won't even be in Stillwater anymore. Guess I'm a big kid now.

Good luck to this fall's applicants, making me feel ancient and such.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh lawdy. I won't even be in Stillwater anymore. Guess I'm a big kid now.

Good luck to this fall's applicants, making me feel ancient and such.
Hope everything is falling into place for you. Sadly, I will be in Stillwater forever with my current route, so I will be welcoming many new classes. haha

I wish I was stuck in Stillwater :(

Well, I can't apply here anymore as I don't have the funds to take animal nutrition through distance learning... But good luck to all!

Hopefully this thread will not be quiet much longer.
I applied at OSU!

OSU was one of the schools I had on my original list but once VMCAS opened I found out I don't meet all the prereq requirements :( I'll be taking a couple more prereq classes to be able to apply to a wider range of schools next cycle, but if I remember right doesn't OSU require 2 courses of biochem? If that's the case I probably won't be applying here, but who knows what the future holds...good luck to all of you applying now!

Members don't see this ad :)
So glad I found this thread! I applied to Oklahoma State...good luck to all!

OSU was one of the schools I had on my original list but once VMCAS opened I found out I don't meet all the prereq requirements :( I'll be taking a couple more prereq classes to be able to apply to a wider range of schools next cycle, but if I remember right doesn't OSU require 2 courses of biochem? If that's the case I probably won't be applying here, but who knows what the future holds...good luck to all of you applying now!
Nope, OSU only requires 3 credits of Biochem
https://cvhs.okstate.edu/Required_Pre-Veterinary_Courses

Hey everybody! I'm currently a first year student and I'm really enjoying it...let me know if you have any questions! I was in your shoes last year :)

I saw on last years thread that decisions were sent out end of Feb/early March. Does anyone know if it will be the same/similar this year or will they be moving it up since applications were due a month earlier?

I saw on last years thread that decisions were sent out end of Feb/early March. Does anyone know if it will be the same/similar this year or will they be moving it up since applications were due a month earlier?

I will check tomorrow for you. I doubt it, but you never know.

Reactions: 1 user
So as I suspected, the VMCAS deadline was moved up purposely by that particular company because they are taking so long to verify apps now. The schools still have the same timelines. I can't speak for other schools, but OKstate is not getting apps until they are verified. Hope that helps! :)

I love therio! I'm actually looking into equine therio as a career path. Any opinions on OSU for equine therio?

I love therio! I'm actually looking into equine therio as a career path. Any opinions on OSU for equine therio?
They have a pretty decent mare herd and some stallions. 2nd year they offer an equine palpation elective and 4th year you can take a rotation at the vet med ranch where you palpate mares, possibly practice AI, uterine lavage, and help foal watch. They also offer foal team where if there is a critically ill foal or a mom that can't take care of foal you stay with it a couple hours a night every few weeks in the spring.

I thought I loved therio, but the third year therio class makes you want to stab your eyes out in frustration.

They have a pretty decent mare herd and some stallions. 2nd year they offer an equine palpation elective and 4th year you can take a rotation at the vet med ranch where you palpate mares, possibly practice AI, uterine lavage, and help foal watch. They also offer foal team where if there is a critically ill foal or a mom that can't take care of foal you stay with it a couple hours a night every few weeks in the spring.

I thought I loved therio, but the third year therio class makes you want to stab your eyes out in frustration.
Frustrating in what way?

Also, @twelvetigers , @cowgirla , and @Lissarae06 , my past classmates are all ripping therio and it brought back memories of when you all were going through it. haha!

I think I'm the only one that didn't hate therio haha. The lecture class itself was frustrating at times, no argument there. It was more teaching style than anything. Helped that I had taken repro phys in undergrad and had that to fall back on.

Frustrating in what way?
We have case discussions now, and they group you up with people that have different knowledge (and completely different schedules than you) and assign you cases over things you haven't discussed in class so you have to spend several hours outside of class alone and with your group going over things that aren't related to the upcoming test (but still get tested on them). Then they expand their questions of what they really wanted to know from the cases and put your group on the spot for something you didn't prepare for and then grade you on participation. I did well on the first test, but we have one on Monday that I'm just now starting to study for so hopefully it's not too bad.

We have case discussions now, and they group you up with people that have different knowledge (and completely different schedules than you) and assign you cases over things you haven't discussed in class so you have to spend several hours outside of class alone and with your group going over things that aren't related to the upcoming test (but still get tested on them). Then they expand their questions of what they really wanted to know from the cases and put your group on the spot for something you didn't prepare for and then grade you on participation. I did well on the first test, but we have one on Monday that I'm just now starting to study for so hopefully it's not too bad.
Yikes...well I've spent the last 2 years with a therio vet and took a repro phys course last fall, so hopefully that will help me out a little bit. I'm trying to figure out which of the schools I applied to is best for therio, but I feel like I should just wait until I hear back before really delving into it any further so I don't torture myself. This waiting game is rough.

Yikes...well I've spent the last 2 years with a therio vet and took a repro phys course last fall, so hopefully that will help me out a little bit. I'm trying to figure out which of the schools I applied to is best for therio, but I feel like I should just wait until I hear back before really delving into it any further so I don't torture myself. This waiting game is rough.
The therio program is really good overall, it's just the class that leaves something to be desired.

For those of you living in Stillwater now or those of you who've lived there in the past, do you/did you like it? What is the town like? OSU is one of my top choices, but I really have no idea what the living is like down there.

For those of you living in Stillwater now or those of you who've lived there in the past, do you/did you like it? What is the town like? OSU is one of my top choices, but I really have no idea what the living is like down there.

Depends on what you are used to. If you are used to living in a big city where you can get any type of ethnic food you want, where liquor stores are open on Sundays, and where you have grocery store options to choose from... it will be a bit of an adjustment.

So, here's the deal. I did like it. It's a community. People are nice, it's a safe place, it's quiet. There are some lakes around and some nice parks, a dog park. There are two Wal-Marts... no Target or anything like that. I hear rumors of a Sprouts going in - that would be nice. There's a Lowe's, there are quite a few chain restaurants.

Basically, it will be a bit claustrophobic if you aren't used to smaller towns. But Tulsa and OK City are about 1 hour away each and have all the stores and food you could want, and vet school keeps you busy enough to not notice much else.

Rent and mortgage are both pretty affordable compared to coast type places, as well. And gas is like $1.95/gal right now.

Any particular questions?

I'm applying to OKState and I'm so excited! The lack of an interview for OOS is kind of intimidating, though!

Depends on what you are used to. If you are used to living in a big city where you can get any type of ethnic food you want, where liquor stores are open on Sundays, and where you have grocery store options to choose from... it will be a bit of an adjustment.

So, here's the deal. I did like it. It's a community. People are nice, it's a safe place, it's quiet. There are some lakes around and some nice parks, a dog park. There are two Wal-Marts... no Target or anything like that. I hear rumors of a Sprouts going in - that would be nice. There's a Lowe's, there are quite a few chain restaurants.

Basically, it will be a bit claustrophobic if you aren't used to smaller towns. But Tulsa and OK City are about 1 hour away each and have all the stores and food you could want, and vet school keeps you busy enough to not notice much else.

Rent and mortgage are both pretty affordable compared to coast type places, as well. And gas is like $1.95/gal right now.

Any particular questions?

I currently live 15-20 minutes to the nearest grocery store, coffee shop, and restaurant, so it doesn't sound like Stillwater would be too much of a shock to the system. How close is everything to campus? I'm very used to having to drive 20 minutes to everything, and it would be nice to have somewhat of a town to retreat to in my (very little) free time. I do like the idea of affordable living! Housing around my school is ridiculous, and I had to move out of my on-campus house for this last year of undergrad and move back home to save money.

After living in a city of a million people for my entire life, this sounds a bit scary honestly. Although moving away from my hometown will be a shock to the system no matter what.

I currently live 15-20 minutes to the nearest grocery store, coffee shop, and restaurant, so it doesn't sound like Stillwater would be too much of a shock to the system. How close is everything to campus? I'm very used to having to drive 20 minutes to everything, and it would be nice to have somewhat of a town to retreat to in my (very little) free time. I do like the idea of affordable living! Housing around my school is ridiculous, and I had to move out of my on-campus house for this last year of undergrad and move back home to save money.

If you live in town, campus should be no more than 10 minutes away. You could live closer than that too. Aside from traffic, most anything is 10 min away max.

I think you will be fine with it. It's a bit red and a bit religious, but you can avoid either of those things if you so desire.

Does OK State have a portal that we can check on our applications through? I know it's just a waiting game at this point, but just curious.

Does OK State have a portal that we can check on our applications through? I know it's just a waiting game at this point, but just curious.
Nope. Out of state won't hear anything until late Feb, unless they find something wrong in your app that disqualifies you.

I don't think they do. All their contact is through email.

Kind of random, but is there a grocery store that is not Walmart and is there a Gamestop? When I visited I don't remember seeing these things haha
Yarp. Game stop and couple different grocery stores. Food pyramid and aldi, plus another one that's eventually going in hopefully soon.

Kind of random, but is there a grocery store that is not Walmart and is there a Gamestop? When I visited I don't remember seeing these things haha

There is supposed to be a Neighborhood Market in addition to the two Wal-marts... Lol.

I think there may be a Sprouts incoming. There is Food Pyramid and Aldi.

I don't miss the grocery scene but I do miss Main Street Noodle.

GameStop is by, uhh... TJMaxx.

Yarp. Game stop and couple different grocery stores. Food pyramid and aldi, plus another one that's eventually going in hopefully soon.

There is supposed to be a Neighborhood Market in addition to the two Wal-marts... Lol.

I think there may be a Sprouts incoming. There is Food Pyramid and Aldi.

I don't miss the grocery scene but I do miss Main Street Noodle.

GameStop is by, uhh... TJMaxx.

Thanks! We live in a town approximately the size of Stillwater but we have more businesses it seems. My boyfriend will be happy to hear about Gamestop in case I get in to OSU :p

Does anyone know if we get an email saying they received our fall transcript?

Hey guys, does anyone know how difficult it is to establish residency in Oklahoma is? What are the rules exactly? Thanks!