Oklahoma State c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just made a reservation for a trip to see the school and go on a tour over my spring break. I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone going to the Open House on April 2?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students please describe what sort of opportunities exist to learn about rehabilitation methods for pets? Thanks!

Can any current students please describe what sort of opportunities exist to learn about rehabilitation methods for pets? Thanks!

The school has an underwater treadmill, therapy laser, acupuncture, etc. I had the most exposure to rehab while on my Community Practice rotation (and with my own dog lol). If it is something that you are interested in, just contact whoever is doing rehab at the VTH. I'm sure they would be happy to have you come observe/ask questions. I'm not sure if Laura is still the tech doing most of the rehab work as I think her husband (surgery resident) has finished his residency and moved on.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!

Can anyone on here give some insight into housing? I'm looking to live by myself with my cat, within walking distance of the vet school, and hopefully for under $650/month. I've found a lot of apartment complexes online offering 1 bedrooms for around $600-700/month, some including utilities, but they're all a minimum of 3 miles away. I'm planning on flying out to visit the last week in March, but can anyone familiar with OSU/Stillwater area provide some info on whether my preferred situation is even possible? Thanks in advance :)

Can anyone on here give some insight into housing? I'm looking to live by myself with my cat, within walking distance of the vet school, and hopefully for under $650/month. I've found a lot of apartment complexes online offering 1 bedrooms for around $600-700/month, some including utilities, but they're all a minimum of 3 miles away. I'm planning on flying out to visit the last week in March, but can anyone familiar with OSU/Stillwater area provide some info on whether my preferred situation is even possible? Thanks in advance :)

There's a neighborhood right behind the vet school. I lived there all four years, five minute walk to the lecture hall. Had dogs, lived alone in a little 2br house, rent was <650. Didn't include utilities though. But unless housing costs have significantly gone up it might be doable

Toured the school today and really liked it. Even got to watch a baby goat be born in the middle of the tour!

Reactions: 2 users
Glad to see there's an OSU thread! I'm not an applicant this year, but congrats to all those who got accepted! I'm currently finishing up a masters and will then be taking a year off to finish vet pre-reqs before applying. I have a ton of questions, apologies in advance and thank you! I've read through this thread and some of the others, but am completely unfamiliar with SDN so hopefully I am not repeating too many questions. Feel free to direct me to a different thread if these have already been answered elsewhere, and sorry if that is the case!

- Will there be some students who are a bit older in the program as well? It doesn't really matter that much since after 21 it kind of all melds together anyways, but I'm curious.
- I haven't lived in OK for long and have mainly been in OKC. This has been touched on a little bit, but how is Stillwater in terms of diversity and politics? Do students tend to lean strongly in either direction, is politics even really a topic that people talk about?
- How close-knit is the vet class? Is it a good community? Does the program organize events for the vet students?
- Are there any scholarship opportunities and what is the range of scholarship sizes? The website doesn't really go into this at all.
- This is more a question for admissions, but maybe some of you did this and can give some input. Will taking a 5-hour w/lab orgo survey course instead of the two semesters negatively affect my application? Orgo is one of the classes I didn't take during undergrad because I wasn't planning on vet school. In general my application is quite strong, so I'm hoping that taking the "short-cut" wouldn't hurt me too much?
- Is it manageable to work part-time (maybe 10-15 hrs/wk) while in the program?
- Do graduates who want to do residencies/internships get into good programs? Anyone know if OSU graduates successfully get jobs in other states that might have a local "bigger name" school like Tufts or CSU?
- Unfortunately I'm not currently a resident in any state because I've been moving around so much due to school. My boyfriend and dogs live in OK, my parents in CO, and more of the boyfriend's family is in NC. CSU and NCS both have very well regarded programs, but moving there would be quite a hassle and both would be more expensive (CSU by a lot, NCS only by a little). Since I have two years off between my current degree and matriculation I would establish residency wherever I decide to go. Does "ranking" really matter at all? It sounds like OSU has a program with a high licensing pass rate, small class size, and lots of opportunities for hands on experience and paid research. Beyond that does it matter?

Slow day at work, lucky you!

- Will there be some students who are a bit older in the program as well? It doesn't really matter that much since after 21 it kind of all melds together anyways, but I'm curious.

Oldest in my class was 47. Plenty of folks in their 30s. Don't worry about it - it won't be an issue. You might get some friendly jokes about canes and dentures, but hopefully you can jab right back. :)

- I haven't lived in OK for long and have mainly been in OKC. This has been touched on a little bit, but how is Stillwater in terms of diversity and politics? Do students tend to lean strongly in either direction, is politics even really a topic that people talk about?

Stillwater and Norman are the bluest spots in a red state. They are still fairly red, but in general it shouldn't cause any problems no matter which way you lean. You can avoid discussions about politics if you want. Facebook seems to be the place to post stuff about beliefs, so it's even easier to ignore on there (or start arguments, whichever you prefer).

- How close-knit is the vet class? Is it a good community? Does the program organize events for the vet students?

Depends on the class, 100%. Most do seem to be fairly close. There are parties and different sorts of get-togethers, awards ceremonies, things like that. The clubs meet a lot too. I think you will feel included if you make an effort to talk to people and join clubs, which isn't too hard to do.

- Are there any scholarship opportunities and what is the range of scholarship sizes? The website doesn't really go into this at all.

There are some for sure, though not much for your first year. Many depend heavily on grades, community service or activity within organizations, areas of interest, and financial need. You apply in the spring semester of each school year. The biggest ones ($5-10k) go to the smarty pants kids, but there are others available (anything from $100 to a few thousand) to those that do well in classes and seek out opportunities. Don't expect these to like, save your butt with student loans, but they can certainly help.

- This is more a question for admissions, but maybe some of you did this and can give some input. Will taking a 5-hour w/lab orgo survey course instead of the two semesters negatively affect my application? Orgo is one of the classes I didn't take during undergrad because I wasn't planning on vet school. In general my application is quite strong, so I'm hoping that taking the "short-cut" wouldn't hurt me too much?

They accept (or they did back in the day) the 5 hour organic that was offered through OSU. So your best bet here would be to contact admissions through email with details of the course that you are hoping will work and see what they say. If it's accepted to fill the requirement, then it's fine and won't hurt your chances compared to someone that makes the same grade in a full 9 hour organic course. (Except that 9 hours of A or B is more hours of good grade than 5 hours of A or B, obviously, but I digress.)

- Is it manageable to work part-time (maybe 10-15 hrs/wk) while in the program?

If you find a job that is very accommodating, then yes. There are some jobs at and around the school that can work well. I would advise waiting until after the first fall semester to start a job, though, just to get used to life and class and stuff first.

- Do graduates who want to do residencies/internships get into good programs? Anyone know if OSU graduates successfully get jobs in other states that might have a local "bigger name" school like Tufts or CSU?

Our graduates do fine. They get residencies just as easily as graduates from any other AVMA school do, I'm sure. OSU may not have all the bells and whistles that the bigger schools do, but the graduates are capable and have no trouble doing what grads from any other school do.

- Unfortunately I'm not currently a resident in any state because I've been moving around so much due to school. My boyfriend and dogs live in OK, my parents in CO, and more of the boyfriend's family is in NC. CSU and NCS both have very well regarded programs, but moving there would be quite a hassle and both would be more expensive (CSU by a lot, NCS only by a little). Since I have two years off between my current degree and matriculation I would establish residency wherever I decide to go. Does "ranking" really matter at all? It sounds like OSU has a program with a high licensing pass rate, small class size, and lots of opportunities for hands on experience and paid research. Beyond that does it matter?

No. It doesn't matter. Go where is cheapest, first and foremost. If OK and NCSU are close enough to be a toss-up, then you can decide where you would be the happiest. To become an OK resident, you need to work full-time for a year while following all the rules about license, registration, taxes, tags, that stuff. Or, you could marry your OK resident boyfriend. NOT that you should do that just for residency, but I'm just sayin.

@twelvetigers Thank you so much for the reply! I am definitely leaning towards OSU because I like the program based on what I've read, and I liked Stillwater when I lived there for a couple of months. The rankings all seem more or less made up, so I'm glad to hear they don't matter. Hopefully I'll be able to take a tour when I visit in a couple of weeks!

I have one more question =) I am planning on finishing up my remaining classes at OSU during my first year off, but also really need to get more vet experience hours. Ideally I would want to get a vet tech/assistant job. Is it really difficult to get experience hours/a vet tech job in Stillwater since there are so many pre-vet and vet students?

@twelvetigers Thank you so much for the reply! I am definitely leaning towards OSU because I like the program based on what I've read, and I liked Stillwater when I lived there for a couple of months. The rankings all seem more or less made up, so I'm glad to hear they don't matter. Hopefully I'll be able to take a tour when I visit in a couple of weeks!

I have one more question =) I am planning on finishing up my remaining classes at OSU during my first year off, but also really need to get more vet experience hours. Ideally I would want to get a vet tech/assistant job. Is it really difficult to get experience hours/a vet tech job in Stillwater since there are so many pre-vet and vet students?

Yeah, it's pretty difficult. And it would be very hard to work full time at a vet clinic in order to gain residency. It's possible, of course, but it can be very hard, especially if you don't already have some experience working or helping at a clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current/ past students. Is it possible for a spouse to work in either Tulsa or OKC and for the student & spouse live somewhere between his work and Stillwater? And by possible, I am asking whether 1) there is housing somewhere in the middle and 2) the commute for either/ both would not be insane.
We had been operating under the assumption the he could work remotely for his current employer, but that may not pan out.

Most of the houses around the school, i.e. walk and be in classroom in 5 minutes, are gonna be a bit more than that. I live in a two bed house with backyard, but it is a 25 minute walk. When you come visit, I recommend taking a day, hopefully the weather is nice, and just start walking around behind the vet school and calling when you find houses with for rent signs. :)

I am a current dual student. You cannot apply to the program until after your first year of vet. Then you apply and complete second year vet and transition into PhD that summer after second year. You can take one year or two years off to get classes and work done, then complete years 3 & 4 DVM. Then you finish PhD.[/QUOT
I have a question about the financial part of the dual degree DVM/PhD. Do you pay additional tuition for the PhD years? Is there a stipend for living expenses? Also, what is a good amount to budget for living expenses?

Question for current/ past students. Is it possible for a spouse to work in either Tulsa or OKC and for the student & spouse live somewhere between his work and Stillwater? And by possible, I am asking whether 1) there is housing somewhere in the middle and 2) the commute for either/ both would not be insane.
We had been operating under the assumption the he could work remotely for his current employer, but that may not pan out.

Tulsa and OKC are both about an hour and fifteen minutes away, give or take. There is some housing halfway between in either case, but it will probably be a very small town with limited options. Not impossible, but maybe a little difficult. You can drive into town each day, sure - just be prepared for an 8am start most of the time and some awkward gaps between classes and labs where you wish you could go home but can't. Also, some rotations during 4th year require you to be within 15 minutes of the hospital, so you will need a couch to sleep on or a bedroom to rent here and there.

Thank you!

Also, OOS waitlisted. Excited that there is still hope at receiving an acceptance for this cycle but all this waiting is killing me, lol.
Hey,
I just declined my OOS seat. I hope that this helps you :) best wishes!

Hey has anyone else here taken the animal nutrition course? I'm taking it now via correspondance, and I had some questions.

I am midway through.

I'm about midway as well

Does anyone know of a housing Facebook page to find potential roommates or places for rent?

Does anyone know of a housing Facebook page to find potential roommates or places for rent?
Your class Facebook page will be filled with opportunities. They don't allow upper classmen on until April 15 so you guys can get to know each other before we come barging in. lol

I'm about midway as well

How long does it take the professor to get back to you? I sent in an assignment about a week ago, and I havnt heard anything yet.

How long does it take the professor to get back to you? I sent in an assignment about a week ago, and I havnt heard anything yet.

I would say things have slowed down significantly since acceptance letters went out. I assume a lot of people waited until they got accepted places requiring the course before signing up.

I would say things have slowed down significantly since acceptance letters went out. I assume a lot of people waited until they got accepted places requiring the course before signing up.
Yes, probably like myself. I need the course, and I am rushing to get it done before graduation. :depressed:

Yes, probably like myself. I need the course, and I am rushing to get it done before graduation. :depressed:
It was taking about a week to get assignments back until about three weeks ago. I sent in three assignments two days apart. Two came back within a week. The second came back two weeks after submission. I submitted two more assignments last weekend. Will let you know when I get them back.
I believe he has two weeks to grade them, right?
Also, you do not have to get the assignments back before taking the exam. You probably want to wait, but it's not required.

It was taking about a week to get assignments back until about three weeks ago. I sent in three assignments two days apart. Two came back within a week. The second came back two weeks after submission. I submitted two more assignments last weekend. Will let you know when I get them back.
I believe he has two weeks to grade them, right?
Also, you do not have to get the assignments back before taking the exam. You probably want to wait, but it's not required.

I know Ive been completing a bunch of the assignments, but he needs to grade the first one before I submit the others.

I know Ive been completing a bunch of the assignments, but he needs to grade the first one before I submit the others.
Ah, gotcha. I've called the remote study office a few times, and they are always super-helpful. Maybe they could suggest something?

Ah, gotcha. I've called the remote study office a few times, and they are always super-helpful. Maybe they could suggest something?

That's a great idea. Thanks!

(future applicant here who is doing a bit of an alternative path to vet school). Currently my boyfriend lives in OKC and we will either stay in OKC while I'm finishing my courses at OU or UCO and gathering vet experience hours (plan on having my first vet school year be the 2018-2019 school year), or we will move straight to Stillwater ASAP and I'll finish my classes at OSU. My problem is that it sounds like it would be quite hard to get the vet experience hours I need while living in Stillwater.

How many vet experience hours do I need to be a decent applicant? I have over 1500 animal contact hours ranging from working in a shelter, paid work with horses, working with lab animals, and working with captive animals including primates. I don't have any cow/goat/poultry experience but am more than willing to get some. I have lots of research experience, will have a science-based grad degree when applying, high GPA, high GRE, and would likely have good LORs. However, at the moment I have a grand total of about 40 vet experience hours since I decided to switch career paths late in the game. I plan on having about 150 by the time I move back to Oklahoma in August. I want to get a lot more before applying, but I know that can be difficult in Stillwater. If I'm willing to shadow/volunteer, do you think it's likely I'll get the vet experience hours I need in or around Stillwater (happy to drive to Guthrie, Perkins, Langston, or Cushing.) Is it totally unreasonable to think I might be able to get a part-time job at a private or shelter clinic in any of those towns? Will my application be thrown out if I have less than 500-1000 vet hours?

Thanks so much to the folks on this forum, you are so helpful =)

(future applicant here who is doing a bit of an alternative path to vet school). Currently my boyfriend lives in OKC and we will either stay in OKC while I'm finishing my courses at OU or UCO and gathering vet experience hours (plan on having my first vet school year be the 2018-2019 school year), or we will move straight to Stillwater ASAP and I'll finish my classes at OSU. My problem is that it sounds like it would be quite hard to get the vet experience hours I need while living in Stillwater.

How many vet experience hours do I need to be a decent applicant? I have over 1500 animal contact hours ranging from working in a shelter, paid work with horses, working with lab animals, and working with captive animals including primates. I don't have any cow/goat/poultry experience but am more than willing to get some. I have lots of research experience, will have a science-based grad degree when applying, high GPA, high GRE, and would likely have good LORs. However, at the moment I have a grand total of about 40 vet experience hours since I decided to switch career paths late in the game. I plan on having about 150 by the time I move back to Oklahoma in August. I want to get a lot more before applying, but I know that can be difficult in Stillwater. If I'm willing to shadow/volunteer, do you think it's likely I'll get the vet experience hours I need in or around Stillwater (happy to drive to Guthrie, Perkins, Langston, or Cushing.) Is it totally unreasonable to think I might be able to get a part-time job at a private or shelter clinic in any of those towns? Will my application be thrown out if I have less than 500-1000 vet hours?

Thanks so much to the folks on this forum, you are so helpful =)

I remember admission telling me that there was not a minimum but most applicants had a 1,000+ hours. I go to school in Stillwater and for me there were more animal and vet hours options in perkins (Eagle house, and vet clinic's that were hiring at the beginning of the semester). But I know I did a ton of calling around and sending emails in order to get more hours.

That's a great idea. Thanks!
Any luck?

Update on timing - sent in two assignments a week ago Saturday and got both back today. So, a little over a week but less than two.
(And good timing because I'm taking a test over that section tomorrow!)

I too have an update on timing. Took an exam on 3/3, grade posted date according to them was 3/21, got my grade in the mail today.

Any luck?

Update on timing - sent in two assignments a week ago Saturday and got both back today. So, a little over a week but less than two.
(And good timing because I'm taking a test over that section tomorrow!)

Does the professor email back with the grade? I have received nothing and it has been almost two weeks. I'll have to call the office I guess. Thanks

Does the professor email back with the grade? I have received nothing and it has been almost two weeks. I'll have to call the office I guess. Thanks
Yes, he replies back with your grade and feedback if you don't get full points.
Good luck!

Yep! Planning on going to the 9am info session and a tour! Then I will probably explore the town

I've been up there a couple of times and never feel like I've gotten my bearings with the town.

I sent in my deposit yesterday :) So excited to be a part of the class of 2020!

Reactions: 2 users
A couple 4th year buddies (one boy one girl) are looking to fill the third bedroom in their house.

We are looking for a 3rd roommate for our 3 bed/ 1bath house. It's literally a 2-3 min. walk to the school (makes it really easy to be on time to class and attend the multiple wet labs and events held at the school). We have a dog and two cats, but more pets are welcome as long as everyone gets along.
Rent is the cheapest you’ll find in Stillwater $283/ month plus utilities (usually <<<$100 per person). The house is in great condition (with a washer and dryer), and there is a fenced in yard. The Room will be available on June 1st

PM me if you want to look into it. :)

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there's a Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Stillwater?! That, by itself, is a reason to go to OSU!

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there's a Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Stillwater?! That, by itself, is a reason to go to OSU!

haha! By all means, you will have many a day/night with classmates there in celebration after hard days/weeks.

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations for dinner in Stillwater? (Besides Fuzzy's )

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations for dinner in Stillwater? (Besides Fuzzy's
emoji12.png
)
All depends on what you are in the mood for.

@twelvetigers has been to the most places to give best reviews imo.