Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone received the packet in the mail yet? I'm getting a little concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep! Got it last week! On the OSU class of 2018 Facebook page, there's a picture of Sarah holding a stack of 40 letter packets (yes, I counted). I think there have been 40 interviews as of Nov. 21, so if you were in that first group you should have received a letter packet regardless of being accepted/wait-listed/rejected.

I was accepted, but I still haven't received it. I guess I'll give them a shout if it doesn't make it by the end of the week..

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my package via next-day air shipping. It's strange how you haven't received your letter yet.

Yep! Got it last week! On the OSU class of 2018 Facebook page, there's a picture of Sarah holding a stack of 40 letter packets (yes, I counted). I think there have been 40 interviews as of Nov. 21, so if you were in that first group you should have received a letter packet regardless of being accepted/wait-listed/rejected.
There's a facebook group for this class? Post it up in this thread.

Do most OOS students choosen to interview have really hight stats? Or have there been some selected with a avg mcat and gpa I.e. 27 MCAT and 3.5 gpa?

Do most OOS students choosen to interview have really hight stats? Or have there been some selected with a avg mcat and gpa I.e. 27 MCAT and 3.5 gpa?

Well I'm not sure I'm exactly representative but I was accepted OOS. I have a 28, 3.7 cum and 3.6 science. However, I lived over 16 years in rural Oklahoma!

Reactions: 1 user

I believe that most OOS students that are chosen to interview generally do have have higher stats (assuming weak ties to the state), but I'm sure that's not always the case. OSU is a great DO school, so I'd give it a shot.

I'm not sure how many of you are (like me) waiting on a call for an interview for January, but I called and spoke with Sarah. She said that she hopes to have them scheduled by tommorrow afternoon, but it will definitely be this week.

Just got the call from Sarah! Interview set for January 8th

Interviewed 12/3 anyone from the 3-4th heard anything? I'm going nuts waiting over here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they call everyone in one day? Now I'm really nervous! Congratulations though!

Does anyone know the Jan interview dates? Just trying to keep my schedule open in case I am lucky enough to be called for an ii! :)

8th, 9th and 10th for the first round of Jan. Good Luck!!!

Hi all, I applied over the summer and haven't heard anything yet. Stats are kinda low compared to most (21, 3.83, 3.63) but I was wondering if anyone knows how late they do interviews? And if anyone has any input on my chances given my low Mcat? Thanks!

Hi all, I applied over the summer and haven't heard anything yet. Stats are kinda low compared to most (21, 3.83, 3.63) but I was wondering if anyone knows how late they do interviews? And if anyone has any input on my chances given my low Mcat? Thanks!
If you're in-state, you might get an interview. Your low MCAT is probably what kept you from an early interview date. If you're OOS, I highly doubt you'll get an interview at all. Call the admissions office and ask them if they can tell you anything. Either way, you might plan on retaking the MCAT.

If you're in-state, you might get an interview. Your low MCAT is probably what kept you from an early interview date. If you're OOS, I highly doubt you'll get an interview at all. Call the admissions office and ask them if they can tell you anything. Either way, you might plan on retaking the MCAT.
Okay I am in state so still hoping for an interview! Thanks for your input :)

Brocktown: said:
Oh does anyone know how late they do interviews?
They go through February, and I think into some of March.
Oh, and when you say you haven't heard from them, do you mean you haven't received a file complete email either? Because that would be a problem.

They go through February, and I think into some of March.
Oh, and when you say you haven't heard from them, do you mean you haven't received a file complete email either? Because that would be a problem.
No no no I've completed everything. Just haven't heard about an interview. But I'm hoping maybe they just haven't reached my application yet due to the low Mcat

Had my interview today, I think it went well! I loved the school, really hoping I get an acceptance!!!!

Does anyone know if the $100 acceptance fee is refundable if i decided to decline my offer?
I couldn't find anything that mentioned if it was refundable. Only that it's applied to first semester fees or tuition. Too bad you won't be joining us!

Had my interview today, I think it went well! I loved the school, really hoping I get an acceptance!!!!
Good to hear! Are you from OOS?

I am also waiting to hear about getting an interview. I just finished my shadowing at the beginning of December and they did not get my completed application until the week before Christmas. I would like to know what you all think my chances of getting an interview and acceptance are given my stats:

In-state, 26q MCAT, undergrad GPA 3.23 science/3.06 non science, graduate GPA 3.5+

I am currently pursuing my master's degree in Biomedical Science at the medical school and will finish it this summer. I worked as a nurse aide for a year and a half. Do you all think my 3.5 GPA in the graduate program and the work experience in the health care field could make up for my lower than competitive undergraduate GPA? I thought my chances looked good but one can't help but worry.

Thanks

Does anyone know how many interview invites are given out to OOS?

Has anyone heard when we should start anticipating phone calls for the next round of interviews and any possible dates those interviews may be on?

Has anyone heard when we should start anticipating phone calls for the next round of interviews and any possible dates those interviews may be on?
I got a call yesterday for an interview next Thursday

The wait is killing me! Would it be inappropriate to call the admissions office and ask whether or not they anticipate me getting a call or would it be inappropriate for me to contact them first?

The wait is killing me! Would it be inappropriate to call the admissions office and ask whether or not they anticipate me getting a call or would it be inappropriate for me to contact them first?
id say give them a call. They are very nice!...

Thanks for the advice. I gave Sarah a call but she couldn't tell me much:

-My application is complete and that is a good thing
-Interviews are given until the first week of March
-Interview invites are typically given 2 weeks before the actual interview
-Interviews are on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and are done in groups of 8 (it was not clear if there was just one or multiple groups of 8 on any given day).
-Hvilledoc was correct and they (Sarah Quinten) is very nice

I just thought I would share what I found out in case anyone was wondering those things.

You've still got 2.5 months though. Plenty of time! Word of advice: try not to think of it. It will drive you crazy b/c you have 0 control over it. Speaking from experience! Haha

-Interviews are on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and are done in groups of 8 (it was not clear if there was just one or multiple groups of 8 on any given day)..

Just one group of 8

I just got a call from Sarah with an interview invite! It is set for Feb. 7th

Lol ya I know. I wonder if they got tired of me calling to check my status =)
But in all seriousness anyone reading this that has any of the same worries I did should just follow the advice I got and call them. The communication lines at this school have been really impressive and they do a great job at not making you feel like a bother.

Just wondering if anyone on here was in the January interviews. If so have you heard anything back yet?

To the people that have interviewed:
Were you interviewed in multiple one-on-one interviews or one single interview? By this I mean did you interview with one member of admissions, then interview again with a student, then again with a professor? Or were all three interviewers present at the same time?

Also, do you remember the names of the people that interviewed you? I am curious to see if they are professors I am familiar with or if they are professors I haven't met yet.

Thanks for replying and hopefully you all get good news soon!

Just wondering if anyone on here was in the January interviews. If so have you heard anything back yet?
My interview was on Jan 8, haven't heard anything yet. But I was told it would be 2-3 weeks before we hear back from the admissions board

My interview was on Jan 8, haven't heard anything yet. But I was told it would be 2-3 weeks before we hear back from the admissions board
My interview was the 9th. Sometimes they have done the calls within a week...just climbing the walls over here. Good luck!

Were you interviewed in multiple one-on-one interviews or one single interview? By this I mean did you interview with one member of admissions, then interview again with a student, then again with a professor? Or were all three interviewers present at the same time?

Also, do you remember the names of the people that interviewed you? I am curious to see if they are professors I am familiar with or if they are professors I haven't met yet.

It was one single interview with a DO and a PhD. I interviewed with Dr. Koehler and Dr. Kaul, both are instructors at OSU. I had a great experience with my interview, they really just want to get to know you better!

There will be a total of 8 applicants with you on interview day. When you first arrive there will be a welcome and introduction section in which you will get a paper that tells your exact interview time slot and who will be interviewing you. The interview is about 45-60 mins. You have one interview with two interviewers (one is an OSU professor and the other a D.O., usually practicing). The interviewers rotate and do not participate in every interview cycle, so you could get just about anyone.

My interview was the 9th. Sometimes they have done the calls within a week...just climbing the walls over here. Good luck!
I completely understand, I'm going crazy not knowing! Good luck to you too

Does anybody know what the school's stats are regarding number of interviews granted vs. number of acceptances?

Does anybody know what the school's stats are regarding number of interviews granted vs. number of acceptances?
I'm pretty sure I remember them saying that there are a little over 200 interview invites and the class size is a just over 100