Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know what the school's stats are regarding number of interviews granted vs. number of acceptances?
What about for OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody from the 8th, 9th, and 10th interviews heard anything yet? I realize they said 2-3 weeks, but I've been going a little crazy waiting...

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody from the 8th, 9th, and 10th interviews heard anything yet? I realize they said 2-3 weeks, but I've been going a little crazy waiting...
I haven't heard anything. The wait is driving me crazy too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on the 10th as of 1/27/2014 2pm I haven't heard anything yet call or mail .... Praying for the call though it's driving me crazy

I was hoping to get some advice for someone I know in the application process that isn't a member of these forums:

Her application is complete except for letters of recommendation from a D.O. She has been shadowing at the OSU Physicians and has gone in 4 separate occasions. Each time she has been paired with a different physician due to rotation schedules. She has asked all 4 for letters but they told her they wouldn't be able to provide a strong letter due to the limited interaction they have had. She started shadowing back in November and just found out a couple weeks ago that they had issues with writing a letter for her. I recommended a couple physicians I shadowed but she has not heard anything back from them. I think she should ask the physician's she already shadowed for a letter again-even if it is a weak letter it is still better than not getting one at all, right? There is still a month for her to get shadowing done and get a letter on file if a new opportunity to shadow presents itself, but like I said, she is still waiting for responses.

Do any of you have any advice on how to handle this situation?

I am hoping some of you may have a personal connection to a D.O. physician so I can pass along the contact information to her. She's already done shadowing, works in healthcare, has graduate degree, etc. but still lacks that one elusive letter. Hopefully one of you knows somebody so she can set something up and talk with them about providing a letter. This is the Tulsa area by the way.

Thanks

I was hoping to get some advice for someone I know in the application process that isn't a member of these forums:

Her application is complete except for letters of recommendation from a D.O. She has been shadowing at the OSU Physicians and has gone in 4 separate occasions. Each time she has been paired with a different physician due to rotation schedules. She has asked all 4 for letters but they told her they wouldn't be able to provide a strong letter due to the limited interaction they have had. She started shadowing back in November and just found out a couple weeks ago that they had issues with writing a letter for her. I recommended a couple physicians I shadowed but she has not heard anything back from them. I think she should ask the physician's she already shadowed for a letter again-even if it is a weak letter it is still better than not getting one at all, right? There is still a month for her to get shadowing done and get a letter on file if a new opportunity to shadow presents itself, but like I said, she is still waiting for responses.

I am hoping some of you may have a personal connection to a D.O. physician so I can pass along the contact information to her. She's already done shadowing, works in healthcare, has graduate degree, etc. but still lacks that one elusive letter. Hopefully one of you knows somebody so she can set something up and talk with them about providing a letter. This is the Tulsa area by the way.

Thanks
I would agree with you. Get the weak letter, but in the meantime she can search for OSU alumni. They provide a list somewhere on their website

Thanks
I have had multiple OSU alums tell me that a weak letter is sometimes more damaging than no letter at all. Just go through the DO list (the girls in admin can email you the link) and keep calling until you get a yes. Make sure when asking that it is explicitly stated a recommendation letter is needed. Some physicians do not write letters period and are brutally honest. I have known people who shadowed the same physician for months only to find out they would not write a letter (ever for anyone). Good luck to her.

i agree with Pinkjelli229 a weak letter is the worst. I would find a physician to do a week with just get a dozen hours in and ask., be straight forward and let them know she will need a letter from the very beginning.

Thanks
Also the letter can be from any physician who knows you well enough to want to write a recommendation for you. If she works in healthcare and is around a DO she could ask them to write the letter.

What are your opinions on writing the basic form letter for the physicians she has already shadowed and dropping it off along with a stamped envelope addressed to admissions hoping for a signature?

I was lucky and got a response from my physician right away but she says she can't tell if her messages are even getting passed the receptionists. She has been requesting a yes or no response via e-mail but is getting nothing. Any suggestions? PM me if you know a Tulsa area D.O. who will definitely take a shadow on and provide a letter. She's got the alumni list already I believe. Do you know if they are set in stone on the letter being a D.O.--she is close with an M.D. but no D.O.'s

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your opinions on writing the basic form letter for the physicians she has already shadowed and dropping it off along with a stamped envelope addressed to admissions hoping for a signature?

I was lucky and got a response from my physician right away but she says she can't tell if her messages are even getting passed the receptionists. She has been requesting a yes or no response via e-mail but is getting nothing. Any suggestions? PM me if you know a Tulsa area D.O. who will definitely take a shadow on and provide a letter. She's got the alumni list already I believe. Do you know if they are set in stone on the letter being a D.O.--she is close with an M.D. but no D.O.'s
The accounts are free. Why doesn't your friend create an account and join the discussion?

Yes I believe one letter must come from a DO, the website will have that exact answer.
Everyone has their own style and opinion. I am old school and have always asked for a letter in person. I have also written numerous letter of recommendation in my aerospace career (still do)...if it isn't important enough for you to speak with me in person about then I feel it must not be too important for me to write. (Unless separated by a long distance, in which case a phone call is acceptable.)
To drop off a pre-typed letter with stamped envelope would seem a bit out of place to me. Only she can determine if that is appropriate based on her relationship with that specific physician.
Sometimes the "I don't know you well enough to write a strong letter" is really just a nice way of saying no. If it were me and I got that response I would be honest and straight forward asking them...ok what day and time can I shadow you, I want to earn my letter of rec from you. And this late in the application cycle I would move heaven and earth to make the time offered to me.
These are just my opinions based on my experience. There are a million right ways of handling this situation. So please no one take offense to me being an old grumpy lady.

Some D.O. schools will take a letter from an M.D. I don't believe OSU-COM is one of those schools. If it's a *bonus* letter from an M.D. that's fine, but I think they're pretty staunch on the D.O. thing. As always, call the admissions office to be certain.

Nothing yet.... (as of 12.42) I think they make calls a little later in the afternoon though...

one more day down I'm going crazy waiting for this call hopefully we all revive the call tomorrow :)

Nothing yet, my heart starts racing every time my phone rings. Hopefully we'll know soon

Nothing yet, my heart starts racing every time my phone rings. Hopefully we'll know soon

I completely understand me too... I'm just glad we're all here saying no call yet or I would be so paranoid that I didn't make the cut

Has anyone verified with Sarah that calls will actually go out this week?

Has anyone verified with Sarah that calls will actually go out this week?
I called her today and from what I understood we should find out either this week or early next week. She said something about the preliminary decisions being already made, I'm guessing that means they're waiting on the final decision from the dean.

Not here. Just another day of anxiously checking my phone!

Nope... Is it just me or are the days getting longer? and longer? and longer....

Congrats! Glad your wait is finally over and you're on your way to being a physician!

I've been waitlisted since November and just got an email about accepted students day, but have not received a call saying I'm in. This is either a terrible mistake and I'm getting accidentally tortured or I am going to receive amazing news soon!

Just got accepted! Waitlisted in December, got the call today!

Congrats on this week's acceptances, everyone!

I've been waitlisted since November and just got an email about accepted students day, but have not received a call saying I'm in. This is either a terrible mistake and I'm getting accidentally tortured or I am going to receive amazing news soon!

That would be a terribly cruel mistake lol. I hope you got a call today!

They tried to call me but the call didn't go through. I'm in though!!

Can't wait to see you guys next year!

Congrats to those who have been accepted! Has anyone who interviewed Jan 22-23rd heard back yet? Do they review multiple weeks together?

Congrats to those who have been accepted! Has anyone who interviewed Jan 22-23rd heard back yet? Do they review multiple weeks together?
I interviewed the 23rd and was told 2-3 weeks before I hear back. So I'm not expecting anything for another 2 weeks

Congratulations to all those that got the good news! The wait for my actual interview seems like the longest 2 weeks ever...I cannot imagine how long the 2 weeks after the interview must feel!

They tried to call me but the call didn't go through. I'm in though!!

Can't wait to see you guys next year!
Now here's to a long weekend free of anticipation! Congrats!

Congrats everyone!! Were any of you that got accepted off of the wait list OOS?

Does anyone know how many people have been officially accepted and how many more spots are available?
To all those who have received an acceptance, would you mind posting your stats? I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of my chances as my interview approaches.