Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when they will be finalizing the waiting list? And what are someone's chances of still getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when they will be finalizing the waiting list? And what are someone's chances of still getting in?
PinkJelli229 said Sarah told her the decisions were made last week. I was notified the last week of May about the final waitlist, but I'm sure that can vary each cycle. As for the chances...I think the number of people on the final waitlist is one of those OSU-CHS top secrets.

I am waiting for them to just start replying with "that is classified".

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I interviewed Feb 21st! I am currently waitlisted. So from what I have been reading, essentially if we didn't get a phone call of acceptance this past week we are still waitlisted?

Hey guys! I interviewed Feb 21st! I am currently waitlisted. So from what I have been reading, essentially if we didn't get a phone call of acceptance this past week we are still waitlisted?
You're on the waitlist until they tell you otherwise.

Okay. Thank you! You are a great help! So I am assuming they just call people as they fill spots, it isn't all one designated day to make call backs?

Okay. Thank you! You are a great help! So I am assuming they just call people as they fill spots, it isn't all one designated day to make call backs?
It seems like they do acceptance calls in small groups, i.e. 4-5 people in an afternoon. The admissions committee has to approve each applicant, and the waitlist is not ranked so it's not like they'll accept someone off the waitlist as soon as one person turns down an acceptance--if that answers your question.

If anyone else is wondering...
Spoke with Lindsey this morning and the class is full. The final waitlist will be made middle to late May.

The class if full but not everyone has committed-right? I guess hearing 'the class is full' is just a little hard and may be grabbing at straws.
So no one will be getting any more calls until May? Does anyone know how many people could typically get accepted from the final wait-list? When they make a final wait-list do they 'weed out' the wait-lists they have been making and send out rejections or is it just like any other wait-list except it is the final one.

It's possible that anyone accepted can decide for whatever reason not to matriculate up until class starts. How common this is, I don't know. Maybe Sarah or Lindsey could tell you. Someone last page said the deadline for deposit refund is tomorrow, but since that's only $100 it might not be much incentive if someone is really having trouble deciding. The number of people on the final waitlist is a mystery. The final waitlist is 'weeded out' and those not selected will receive 'letters of reapplication.'

Maybe some of you are interested in a dual-degree program??? lol

I'm sure these will be going out soon enough, but here is the exact wording of the final waitlist email:

The faculty and administration of the Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine sincerely appreciates your interest in becoming a medical student within the entering class of ____. The Student Selection Committee has completed a review of all wait listed applicants to determine the final wait list. We are pleased to tell you that you have been selected for a position on the final wait list.

There are currently no positions available in the entering class of ____, however be assured that should any positions come open, all wait listed applicants will be given the utmost consideration.

We encourage you to maintain and update your credentials for the committee’s review. Please contact the Office of Admissions if you have any questions or would like to update your file.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything yet either. Although the wait is killer I kind of hope they wait until grades for this semester are submitted before making any additional decisions.

I think that's probably the reason they wait until mid-late May to cut it to the final waitlist. Definitely submit your updated transcripts as soon as grades are posted.

My wife just withdrawn her acceptance , good luck to you all.

Thank you for posting up the information-it definitely gives those of us on the wait-list some more hope!

Hey everyone,

I am currently a junior and about to start the application and MCAT shenanigans. I was curious if anyone following this thread has been able to kind of see a "norm" in the scores of the accepted students. I am in state, worked in the OR for 3 summers, 150+ hours of shadowing, 150+ hours of volunteering and have been oversees twice on medical missions trips. Just trying to gauge it all for peace of mind.

Thank you

With a decent GPA, a 27+ with an early application should get you in without much trouble. Anything below puts you in a massive pool of equally qualified applicants. Can't stress enough how important the early application is, though.

I might also suggest getting involved in some research. Your other ECs are great, but research, in my opinion, shows that you have the intelectual curiosity that medicine demands. Just my 2 cents. Certainly not a requirement.
Hey everyone,

I am currently a junior and about to start the application and MCAT shenanigans. I was curious if anyone following this thread has been able to kind of see a "norm" in the scores of the accepted students. I am in state, worked in the OR for 3 summers, 150+ hours of shadowing, 150+ hours of volunteering and have been oversees twice on medical missions trips. Just trying to gauge it all for peace of mind.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Thank you
attachment.php

A lot depends on your numbers. Average MCAT and gpa seems to be 27/3.5ish. Rural med/primary care interest helps. And yes, apply early.

My wife just got the acceptance phone call! She will be a dual-degree D.O/Ph.D student.
Here stats are 21 MCAT, 3.9 undergraduate/3.7 graduate GPA, 3 years working in health care, 20-30 hours of shadowing, a couple talks and poster presentations and top graduate in our undergraduate class. I would not worry about the MCAT if you meet the minimum, you cant do much about your GPA, but pursuing graduate research, health care work and beefing up EC's with talks and presentations seems to work great!!

My wife just got the acceptance phone call! She will be a dual-degree D.O/Ph.D student.
Here stats are 21 MCAT, 3.9 undergraduate/3.7 graduate GPA, 3 years working in health care, 20-30 hours of shadowing, a couple talks and poster presentations and top graduate in our undergraduate class. I would not worry about the MCAT if you meet the minimum, you cant do much about your GPA, but pursuing graduate research, health care work and beefing up EC's with talks and presentations seems to work great!!

Muy interesante!

Thank you for sharing.

Any idea if the acceptances that went out today were for the dual degree students only or were some acceptance calls made to straight D.O. candidates as well?

Got on the final waitlist! Got my letter today. Fingers crossed

Got my final waitlist letter as well. Does anyone know if they actually "reject" anyone at this point?

I got a rejection letter today. Congrats to those who got to the final waitlist-good luck!

Does anybody usually get off of the final waitlist?

Does anyone know how long an MCAT is valid when reapplying? I thought the 3 year rule was pretty standard and am waiting for an answer from OSU but sometimes answers are faster on here. I took the MCAT in July 2011. If I submit my AACOMAS and secondary in June before the 3 year deadline will my MCAT still be considered a valid score? Or is the 3 year period based on some different criteria such as acceptance date, entering class date, etc. ?

Hey guys! I made the final waitlist as well! Has anyone else heard about this may 15th date of importance? Some one had told me may 15 was a crucial day and spots would be opening up because it is the last day for double acceptance to be held or something like that ... I don't know if that is true or not, so i thought i'd ask everyone else if they had heard something similar!

Is there anyone else here on the final wait list with us?

Does anyone know how long an MCAT is valid when reapplying? I thought the 3 year rule was pretty standard and am waiting for an answer from OSU but sometimes answers are faster on here. I took the MCAT in July 2011. If I submit my AACOMAS and secondary in June before the 3 year deadline will my MCAT still be considered a valid score? Or is the 3 year period based on some different criteria such as acceptance date, entering class date, etc. ?
According to the 2015 college info book, OSU accepts 2011 MCAT scores for the entering class of 2015, so yours is probably okay unless the CIB got it wrong.

Hey guys! I made the final waitlist as well! Has anyone else heard about this may 15th date of importance? Some one had told me may 15 was a crucial day and spots would be opening up because it is the last day for double acceptance to be held or something like that ... I don't know if that is true or not, so i thought i'd ask everyone else if they had heard something similar!

I think May 15 is the last date to hold multiple acceptances for AMCAS schools, not DO schools. I don't think DO schools have such a deadline.

May 15 only applies to schools that use AMCAS and TMDSAS applications (for schools starting after July 30?...schools that start earlier have the magic date of April 15th). You can hold as many DO acceptances as you like in addition to the one MD or Texas school acceptance that you have.

I was hoping for some movement after the Memorial Day weekend. Did anyone get good news?

I don't have any news for you but I wouldn't hesitate to call Sarah Quinten at the admissions office. She was always more than happy to tell me what she could and it was always a relief finding out whatever news there was

My wife was accepted and never got an invite to the Facebook group, how would she get one?

Hey guys!! I got the phone call on Monday, and my acceptance letter Tuesday morning. Good luck to everyone else still waiting. There is plenty of time.

I was hoping for some movement after the Memorial Day weekend. Did anyone get good news?

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone confirm what the secondary essay prompts were? Only saw 1 mention earlier in the thread about a possibility of two?

Can anyone confirm what the secondary essay prompts were? Only saw 1 mention earlier in the thread about a possibility of two?
I don't know what last year's prompts were, or if they ever change, but mine were:

1) If not currently in school, describe present activity
2) Why do you wish to attend the OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine?
3) Is there any additional information you would like the College to know about you?

Remember that for OSU, all applicants can fill out the secondary--so don't wait for an invite.

Remember that for OSU, all applicants can fill out the secondary--so don't wait for an invite.

Thank you! Do you just click the secondary link from their website? It says it's currently unavailable and when it worked a few days ago it asked for a login ID and password?

Thank you! Do you just click the secondary link from their website? It says it's currently unavailable and when it worked a few days ago it asked for a login ID and password?

When I applied, it just required creating an account to log in and fill it out. Looks like they changed it slightly since then. The website says you'll be emailed the link to open it after the school receives your AACOMAS application, so don't delete any emails you may get from Sarah Quinten (seems like most/all of the emails came from her). If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call the admissions office, they're all very helpful.

Something must be wrong with the Secondary Application link. I tried to fill it out the other day but it said it wouldn't open before June 1st. You will need to create a login ID and password so that you can save your application if you need to exit it before it is completed. Currently, the application website fails to load. The essay prompts DoctorKrieger were the same ones that I remembered. There are additional essays if you plan to apply to the rural track. The only one that I can remember was something along the lines of "Why do you want to pursue the rural medical track?".

Hopefully they get the website fixed for the secondary app soon. If anyone sees that the site is up and working please post a heads up in this thread!

I think they might be changing it were the secondary gets emailed after the primary is verified.

I am currently on the final waitlist but just got a call from the school recommending that I apply to the DO/HCA dual degree program. Did anyone else on here get a call or have any thoughts about the program?

I don't have anything specific with regards to that program but I would suggest going for it. I am a graduate student on campus with the dual degree DO/M.S. students and when I was waitlisted a couple of them told me that they were told to apply to the dual-degree program. It bumps your chances up because technically the spot you are filling is in the pool of next years medical school applicants and not the current list. I sent you a PM about the MS biomed program. That is what I would do instead of the HCA, either way, I think a dual-degree application would make it easier for them to accept you since you aren't technically filling a spot in the current class that is already full.

Anybody on here that was accepted or even interviewed OOS and willing to share stats? Im just wondering how competitive I'll be, not looking to waste time or money on a secondary if not. 32 MCAT 3.6c 3.51s